365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Houston Half Marathon

+15
Diego
Schuey
GregC
T Miller
Mark B
JohnP
mul21
fostever
Bob
Julie
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
ounce
Dave-O
19 posters

Go down

Houston Half Marathon Empty Houston Half Marathon

Post  Dave-O Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 pm

When I think back to this race, I will remember five things:

1. Getting to the airport 3 hours early, plus an hour delay, which allowed me to read Silver Linings Playbook without putting it down once. I was completely enthralled, and can't wait to see the movie;

2. Perhaps the most exciting slate of NFL games even in one weekend, even if my gambling account got taken to the cleaners;

3. Meeting, and having a blast, with my good friend's twin baby girls;

4. Running in the coldest and windiest conditions I can remember, resulting in a slower-than-expected 1:15 finish time; and

5. Getting so violently sick on Sunday night that I couldn't get out of bed for my flight Monday morning.

We'll get to #5 later. First, let's talk about the race, and I'll cut to the chase. 1:15 is not what I was looking for time wise; there's no denying that. Training went great, I made it to the starting line healthy, and I felt 100% ready to rip on Saturday, especially as I talked to Doug, Jerry, and Joel over lunch. We knew there was a chance for rain and cold, but overall I didn't think the forecast looked all that bad. I went to bed Saturday night feeling good about my chances at a PR.

I was wrong. It was dry at the starting line and really, not that cold. The gun went off and I was in the second line of runners, just behind Lilesa, Merga, Puskedra, Rizzo and the other elites. Within about a minute, the skies opened. POURING RAIN. To make it worse, the first mile is on an elevated parkway, completely exposed to the northerly wind coming in at a consistent 15-20 mph. I swear the rain was hitting me almost perpendicularly. It's not good when a half-mile into a race you're already thinking, "Holy shit, this sucks!" I knew mile 1 was going to be into the wind, but it was many times worse than anything I envisioned.

I hit mile 1 in 5:47 and instantly thought of the Indy Mini 2010, where it was similarly windy (though not as cold and no rain), and reminded myself to be patient. I knew I'd have a long stretch with a tailwind from 5 to 9.5. I ran miles 2 through 5 in 5:40, 5:34, 5:34 and 5:37. I remember two things from this stretch: (1) my feet felt like blocks of ice; and (2) I would have paid $100 to have been wearing tights or half-tights instead of 3 inch split-shorts because my legs were freezing.

But I kept my head in the game. Now with the wind at my back I knew I could get some time back, and more importantly, I could start clipping off some competition. I ran miles 6 through 9 in 5:26, 5:33, 5:39 and 5:33. Still slower than I planned going in, but I found at least somewhat of a rhythm. More importantly, I found myself passing some people and slowly moving up the ranks. I think there were even two Kenyans in there that had clearly shut it down for the day and were jogging in.

Then came the hardest 5:50 mile I've ever run in my life. Again, I knew from looking at the course ahead of time that from 9.5 to almost 11 we'd be heading back into the wind. I thought I was mentally prepared for it, but I have no problem admitted it kicked my ass. I swear it lasted about 20 minutes. At one point I even screamed out, "Where the fuck is the right turn!" Even after the turn finally arrived, I had little energy left to muster a finishing push. My last three miles were 5:56, 5:52, and 5:40.

I crossed in 1:15:04. I found Britt quickly - who was as miserable as I was in the conditions - who quickly remarked that I finished pretty high up. I hadn't given it much thought during the final 5k, but it was surprisingly lonely around me. I later learned that I was the 16th male overall.

Now, that has left me conflicted. On one hand, my time sucked, not much different from the 1:16 I ran in Pitt last spring. But on the other hand, I did not expect to finish that high, and based on the number of people I passed in the second half, I am pleased that I fought throughout the race when it would have been easy to throw in the towel. More than anything, though, is that I know I feel more fit right now. When I ran 1:16 in Pitt, I left the race contemplating what I did wrong in training. Right now I have no regrets about my training, and am confident that I just didn't get the right day to prove it. We've all been there.

So there will be no self-loathing or second guessing my training. I'll keep grinding as spring arrives in Chicago. My PRs are right around the corner.

About that flu: I went to bed Sunday night slightly drunk but not sick. I woke up just 2 hours later with the most violent vomiting I can remember. Then, I did the same every half hour for the rest of the night. I've never had, or seen, a flu hit so hard in such short time. I spent the entire night puking, sweating, and shaking uncontrollably. I was so sick that I couldn't get out of bed for my flight on Monday and had to stay until that night. Britt left as planned so we could avoid having to spend too much extra money, and when I got home, she had caught the same flu bug. We're both still home sick from work today.

I guess if there's any good time to get sick, its during the week after a race, right?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Houston Half Marathon Empty Re: Houston Half Marathon

Post  ounce Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Great to have seen you again, Dave. At least for this race, you barfed after it and not during it.

Hope you're well enough to think about coming back on January 19, 2014. Those girls will be a year older!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Sorry Dave it didn't work out. I was looking for you during the mile 7-9 overlap and can tell you that runners ahead of you all looked terrible, slow while in a bad form. So you are right, the placing tells you how well you did.

But you should not have joked about Texans just as I should not have laughed about the weather too earlier.

Hope you get recover soon!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Congrats again, Dave-O - great race in the conditions and that is an awesome finish! I knew you wouldn't like your time, but remember, it really is about how well you ran vs. the conditions and the competitors and you nailed that (and I have to beleive that the flu bug was already there). Way to run and no doubt that more PRs are right around the corner.

P.S. I remember that last mile in Houston (last year) as I, too, thought I would die and never reach that darn turn to the finish.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 pm

16th Male in 2012? 1:09:55. And that's with a lot of the studs including Rizzo running the Trials that weekend and not in the race itself. In other words, finishing 16th overall dude at this year's Houston is AMAZING. Conditions sucked for a great time but you are trained up now for plenty of great race times this Spring. That flu bug sounded horrible, Silver Linings Playbook, huh? Ok, I'll get it.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Great race, although I'm sorry the weather was so terrible. I got terribly sick after a marathon 3 yrs ago and was so dehydrated, I too was so happy it happened after the race and not before. Sounds like it was a tough day for everybody but you did amazingly well!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 pm

March Madness?
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Dave, I'd say your time was definitely relative to the horrible conditions. These kind of races are about toughing it out and placing well. Sounds like you killed it in both areas. I've heard this is one of the worst flu seasons on record. Hope you both recover soon. Congrats on a superb finish!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Hell of an effort gutting it out for a great placing! Have a relaxing little break and hope you guys get better quick.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Except for the sick part, that was a really upbeat race report, great job. Your finishing place shows you gave it all on that day. You should set your PR in a spring half.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 am

You didn't hit your goal time, but you bested the weather, the competition... and a few of your demons in the process.

I'd call that a win. Congrats!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:13 am

Like everyone has said, you had a good race on a less than desirable circumstances. I'm sure the weather and your illness had an impact yet you still finished high in the standings. I think you've found something that is working and I can't wait to see what happens when you get a better shot at a PR. Well done and good luck in the next one.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 am

1. Didn't know there was a book....I'll have to check it out.

2. Great games indeed.

3. Is that your biological clock I hear ticking?

4. 16th Male? In a race like Houston? I'd say there is no reason to feel conflicted.

5. Did you get everyone on the plane sick too?
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 am

First off hope you are feeling better! The flu sucks!! As for the race way to hang tough and grind it out to the finish. You were rewarded with that awesome 16th finish!

Glad to read that you are not doubting or second guessing your training. No doubt those PRs are right around the corner and when they come look out they are going to be big!!

Huge congrats to you Dave and to Britt for putting up with being in that weather! I won't haven't wait for in that weather. haha Very Happy
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 am

GregC wrote: 3. Is that your biological clock I hear ticking?

I was just thinking the same thing Greg!

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am

Schuey wrote:
GregC wrote: 3. Is that your biological clock I hear ticking?

Me too, but I wasn't going to mention it first. I thought it was just a woman thing, but from the description above.......
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm

ounce wrote:Great to have seen you again, Dave. At least for this race, you barfed after it and not during it.

Very true! If ever there is a "good" time to get sick, its the week after a race.

Jerry wrote:
But you should not have joked about Texans just as I should not have laughed about the weather too earlier.

The Texans not having a chance against the Patriots was the only thing I was right about all weekend!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Congrats again, Dave-O - great race in the conditions and that is an awesome finish! I knew you wouldn't like your time, but remember, it really is about how well you ran vs. the conditions and the competitors and you nailed that (and I have to beleive that the flu bug was already there). Way to run and no doubt that more PRs are right around the corner.

Thanks. As much as I'd love to place some blame on the flu, I really didn't feel any symptoms before going to bed Sunday night. Strange.

Chris M wrote:
Silver Linings Playbook, huh? Ok, I'll get it.

I had moderate expectations since the movie is billed somewhat as a Rom-Com. But man, I really enjoyed. Fun, quirky, and it really made me root for the main character/narrator.

Has anyone seen the movie? I read the wikipedia summary and it seems like a lot was changed from the book.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Julie wrote:Great race, although I'm sorry the weather was so terrible. I got terribly sick after a marathon 3 yrs ago and was so dehydrated, I too was so happy it happened after the race and not before. Sounds like it was a tough day for everybody but you did amazingly well!

Thanks.

Bob wrote:March Madness?

I'll keep this simple: No.

fostever wrote:Dave, I'd say your time was definitely relative to the horrible conditions. These kind of races are about toughing it out and placing well. Sounds like you killed it in both areas. I've heard this is one of the worst flu seasons on record. Hope you both recover soon. Congrats on a superb finish!

Thanks, and the flu seems to have passed through in 48 hours. I should be back to full strength in a few days.

mul21 wrote:Hell of an effort gutting it out for a great placing! Have a relaxing little break and hope you guys get better quick.

Thanks buddy.

JohnP wrote:Except for the sick part, that was a really upbeat race report, great job. Your finishing place shows you gave it all on that day. You should set your PR in a spring half.

God I hope so! In any race! I need something...

Mark B wrote:You didn't hit your goal time, but you bested the weather, the competition... and a few of your demons in the process.

I'd call that a win. Congrats!

Thanks.

T Miller wrote:Like everyone has said, you had a good race on a less than desirable circumstances. I'm sure the weather and your illness had an impact yet you still finished high in the standings. I think you've found something that is working and I can't wait to see what happens when you get a better shot at a PR. Well done and good luck in the next one.

I think I am on the right track and look forward to jumping back into it soon.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Schuey wrote:
Huge congrats to you Dave and to Britt for putting up with being in that weather! I won't haven't wait for in that weather. haha Very Happy

I owe her BIG time for braving those conditions as a spectator!

GregC wrote:
3. Is that your biological clock I hear ticking?

Schuey wrote:

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Me too, but I wasn't going to mention it first. I thought it was just a woman thing, but from the description above.......

Perhaps. We have a few weddings that we're standing up in this summer/fall and a trip to Italy we'd like to take first...then we'll further discuss this topic. Very Happy
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I saw Silver Linings Playbook, but didn't read the book.

It wasn't your usual romantic comedy because the main characters were not mainstream. For a while, you didn't know who to root for or if the main character was going to do something really bad.

I liked it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Dave-O,

Congrats on a great race in unseemly conditions! 16th place when compared with last year's time speaks well for your training. The flu bug was probably noro virus--only takes 4-7 particles to get violently ill(cruise ship/hotel bug). I need to see SLP and may also read the book. As for getting the Packers-49ers wrong--never bet against a QB from UNR with a great arm and the quickest I have ever seen on a QB. Seattle's Wilson was pretty cool to watch, too.

I'm still throwing a pity party for my Broncos, but all those terrible losing stats about #1 seeds favored by 9-10 points after a bye and Manning's record in playoff games under 40 degrees made me extremely nervous before the game and violently ill after the game.

Back to running: I see some 8k personal records falling once you start back with 3k-5k pace and tempo runs.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Great run considering the rain.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Hard to believe that Houston could dish up worse weather than the Midwest, but it takes an important race to show us just how easy it is. Sorry about the crappy weather but you did great pushing through it. Hey, you're in such great shape now, maybe the Indy Mini is calling you again for the next PR. I don't think they've sold out yet.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 am

The weather didn't show up for you. So like others have said the placing is what counts on these days and that's awesome placing for that race. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Great report! Some things, like the weather, you just can't control. You did a hell of a job dealing with it though. Plus on the verge of being sick. I think sometimes we need races in weather like this to remind ourselves of how tough we are. I hope you are both fully recovered from the flu by now. Congrats on 16th!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down