365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Houston Half - short PR report

+5
mountandog
KBFitz
Mark B
Jim Lentz
ounce
9 posters

Go down

Houston Half - short PR report Empty Houston Half - short PR report

Post  ounce Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:10 am

Sunday was the first race in the Houston Marathon Warm Up Series in the guise of the Houston Half.  My prior PR was from 2004 at a time of 2:40:something.

Over the Summer, I had done a lot of endurance building in the dark mornings of Houston heat and calm winds.  I have gained about 15 pounds of the 20 that I lost last year, so I wasn't really hopeful for a 2:24 time for Sunday.  I'm working for a 5 hour marathon in January.

Morning temps were seasonal, but getting warmer.

The bottom line is I finished with a time of 2:22:48, a 10:54 pace, and a 17 minute PR.  It was a shock to me that I actually did better than I planned.  Now, I can continue to train for a 5 hour marathon with tangible evidence that it's doable.

My next race is December 14 and the Sugar Land 30K and is the 3rd and final race of the Warm Up Series.  A 25K race in November is the 2nd race.  More details on this race are available on my blog, Funkadelic Happening.  Thanks for your time.

Last edited by ounce on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Houston Half - short PR report Empty Re: Houston Half - short PR report

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 am

Sweet!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:43 am

Whoa!

A 17-minute PR in a full marathon is huge. To cut that much time in 13.1 is astounding.

Well done! Whatever you're doing, keep it up! It's working. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Sweet!
Thanks, Jim.
Mark B wrote:Whoa!

A 17-minute PR in a full marathon is huge. To cut that much time in 13.1 is astounding.

Well done! Whatever you're doing, keep it up! It's working. Approval

Thanks much, Mark, but it's not quite as huge as one would think, given the following analysis.
1.  I think this was only my 4th half race, with two of them either recovering from a marathon or an injury (last year).
2.  The PR was from 2004, as part of my training for my first marathon in 2005.  I was just looking to not look stupid, practice hydrating through water stops, and beat the course opening cops to the finish line.  My parents got to see me run.
3.  If I had been whole last year, I would've had a PR, but not as huge.

I figured that I would PR this race, just because I knew I could run a half at faster than 12:15 pace. 

But I was astounded that I did run sub-11 pace.  Prior to this race, I had never strung 13 11:something miles together at the same time.  So, I will celebrate that in spades. Very Happy

As a teaser for the 30K in December, I will lead the party and buy the first round of drinks, if I have a double digit PR at the 30K.  Last year, I had a 26 minute PR at the 30K breaking a record, also from 2004, with an overall pace of 11:54. 

McMillan would have you believe that a 10:54 half pace equates to an 11:12 30K pace and an 11:28 marathon pace (5:00:32).  So, stay tuned and get your drink tickets together.  Thanks again, Mark and Jim.

ShotsMoney
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:20 pm

Well well, lookie here. It looks like you're hitting your stride Dougie. And you may say it's not big hairy deal, but a PR is a PR. So here's to keeping it rolling in the 30K and to keeping your head in the game in the last 6 miles of the marathon. Hooah!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Awesome Doug!!!  You're definitely on track for that sub-5.  This has to keep you motivated.  No such thing as a bad PR.  Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:42 am

KBFitz wrote:Well well, lookie here. It looks like you're hitting your stride Dougie. And you may say it's not big hairy deal, but a PR is a PR. So here's to keeping it rolling in the 30K and to keeping your head in the game in the last 6 miles of the marathon. Hooah!

mountandog wrote:Awesome Doug!!!  You're definitely on track for that sub-5.  This has to keep you motivated.  No such thing as a bad PR.  Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for commenting, y'all.  I will do my damndest to keep up the momentum.  And thanks for the encouragement.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 am

Congratulations!  Quite the PR and really to be expected with all the finite training that you've been doing over the past.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:14 pm

I've got to side with everyone else - that is an awesome PR no matter how you slice it.  Great race and hopefully just a precursor of good things to come!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Great job and a great result!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:50 pm

dot520 wrote:Congratulations!  Quite the PR and really to be expected with all the finite training that you've been doing over the past.
Thanks, Dot.  it seems I need to appreciate the 17 minute PR more than I am.
Tom H wrote:I've got to side with everyone else - that is an awesome PR no matter how you slice it.  Great race and hopefully just a precursor of good things to come!
Thanks, Tom.  If it's any consolation, I have taken the effort from the Half and now believe that a sub-5 marathon is more than just a wish.
Michael Enright wrote:Great job and a great result!
Thanks, Michael.  I'll keep plugging away at the goal.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:46 am

Big PR. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse