365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soggy, but upbeat Houston Half

+7
carleenp
fostever
Michael Enright
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
ounce
11 posters

Go down

Soggy, but upbeat Houston Half Empty Soggy, but upbeat Houston Half

Post  ounce Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:46 pm

We had a rather intense couple of thunderstorms roll through downtown Houston around 6:30, this morning ahead of a sold out (5,000 and the first time of a sell out) Houston Half Marathon.  100,000 residents had their power knocked out and a couple of hours later it hit Galveston.  You can see the video of the storm approaching Galveston and what the gantry cranes did, when they're on 'weathervane' mode on the attached link.  http://abc13.co/19K9d41

The race was delayed to 8 a.m.

If you want to read a longer version of this report, you can check it out on my blog 35,5, & 2 for more details.

A small history for you.  I had been, since October 17, on injured reserve as a result of a bio-mechanical issue with my feet causing my calves to scream.  This 13.1 mile race is the longest distance since October 12 and I was hoping the PT work I had been doing and a slower pace than I wanted to run this race was going to result in no pain.  The plan was to run a 13:40 pace, but the pace if I was healthy was planned to be sub-12.

So, I started the race, ran the course with obsessive tangent running and endured the rain for the whole race varying between a drizzle and a good, old fashioned frog strangler.

I completed the race upright and vertical at a 13:28 pace, with only very light whining from my right calf at miles 4, 6 & 10.5.  The effect of not running for the past 10 days caused my pace to be at 75% HR rate for most of the race, when 10 days ago, I could run mid-12's at 68% HR.  I was never winded during the race and even didn't breathe through my mouth through most of the race, except for going up inclines.  I ran the whole race and never stopped for even to pee.

It was GREAT to be able to do the distanc.  I go back tomorrow to resume PT and to get well.  I'm also working on narrowing down which shoe should replace the Vomero 6's I presently have.  I ran in the Vomeros with a Spenco Total Support Original insole.  It was a new pair of Vomeros because I'm told that they're too soft for me now.  Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Soggy, but upbeat Houston Half Empty Re: Soggy, but upbeat Houston Half

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:24 pm

The weather and physical problems put up a big challenge for you, but it was good to see you make it through this race without pain and at a pace that exceeded your expectations for the day. Good work. Approval 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 am

Good job - that has to feel really good to go that distance!  Congrats on the finish and hopefully you will be back to running (relatively) comfortable soon.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Have friend running the half, can't believe you guys didn't call it quit a non goal race. Jerry would.lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Nice job, especially in all that rain. Frog strangler? Great expression!
Good luck with the ongoing PT!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Mark B wrote:The weather and physical problems put up a big challenge for you, but it was good to see you make it through this race without pain and at a pace that exceeded your expectations for the day. Good work. Approval 
Yes, Mark, and it was rather unusual to run at a pace where I could just be comfortable and enjoy the run knowing I am not being hounded by the course-opening cops.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good job - that has to feel really good to go that distance!  Congrats on the finish and hopefully you will be back to running (relatively) comfortable soon.
It really was, John.  I didn't have a great amount of cardiac drift and I turned up the speed for the last half mile (13:14 to 11:55 pace), but the HR only went up 2 or 3 beats.

Jerry wrote:Have friend running the half, can't believe you guys didn't call it quit a non goal race. Jerry would.lol!
It wasn't a lazy man's race, Jerry.  lol! 

But I really wanted to test my calves to see if they're up to mid-length distances again.

Michael Enright wrote:Nice job, especially in all that rain. Frog strangler? Great expression!
Good luck with the ongoing PT!
Thanks, Michael.  Much appreciated.  And just so you know there's a real term called 'frog strangler', I entice you with this link:  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=frog+strangler
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Looks like you hit that pace goal, that's important! Congrats!!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Nice job! Especially with the weather!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks, y'all!  It wasn't as fast as I wanted to, but to keep the wheels on the car, it was all I wanted to muster.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:48 am

Congrats on getting it done.  Did your shoes double in weight from all the rain?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 pm

glad you finished good job! I've been battling injuries and and I feel your pain:shock: . I'm going to ask a stupid question are you warming up for at least one mile before each run, then stretching for minimum 5 minutes each calf:shock: ?
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Congrats on getting it done.  Did your shoes double in weight from all the rain?
Thanks much, Alex.  Yes, they did, but I was throttled down so much that I didn't notice it being a drag.

amyjoann wrote:glad you finished good job! I've been battling injuries and and I feel your pain:shock: . I'm going to ask a stupid question are you warming up for at least one mile before each run, then stretching for minimum 5 minutes each calf:shock: ?
You may not know this, but any thread I start is a stupid question, except a race report.  Then, hopefully, I don't have to report any stupid things.

But to answer your question, I believe that I do because it usually takes a mile for me to get in the groove, sometimes 2.  But that mile is on the clock.  Now, before this race, I warmed up about a mile's worth.  And I do not stretch the calf.  It is something that I really need to start doing on an inconsistent basis, to start, then become more consistent.  I believe I've attained the age to where I need to spend time stretching.

You have my permission to remind me about it, from time to time.

How are your injuries resolving?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Good job on this one.  I'm not one for soggy races.  I'd take cold and wind before rain.  Glad to hear that you finished without further injury and ready to go on with the program.  Congratulations.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Nice job hitting sub 13:40 pace.  I hope you're able to quickly figure out the  biomechanics issues / find the right shoes so your calf stops aching!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down