365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob's Bayshore Report

+17
fostever
Vivian
momof5boys
Michele "1L" Keane
John Kilpatrick
Matt W
Julie
GregC
Alex Kubacki
Jerry
Dave-O
T Miller
Mark B
Tom H
Admin
Schuey
Bob
21 posters

Go down

Bob's Bayshore Report Empty Bob's Bayshore Report

Post  Bob Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:01 pm

I hate writing these, but after being asked by a few, and I do mean a few, I decided to put something together. Read at your own risk of wasting your time. Very Happy

The last “true” marathon race was November of 2009. Missed my BQ by 2:30. I was pretty worn out mentally after that race, so for the next year, I trained for Pikes Peak Marathon in the summer of 2010.

I decided to sign up for Bayshore on December 1st. Tom M., GregC, and I would be going, and the plan was for Tom and me to follow the same plan and run the race together to get our BQ.

Tom put together the schedule, and I quickly noticed that between Jan 1st and race day on May 28th, there were really no off days. WTF, Tom?

I followed the schedule pretty religiously for the month of January. But, knowing I had 4 more months of this, I was already wearing down. I sent off an email to Tom to see how he was handling it, and he responded, “Yeah, I plan on starting on the schedule next week.” What a dick. I then made the decision to switch to Pfitz’s 18/70 schedule.

In February, I met up with Greg and Sweet Daddy Christian Hauser for a run in downtown Chicago on a pretty decent day along the lakefront. Most of the path was clear, some was snow covered, and other parts were muddy. I left there feeling pretty confident, though tired, after surviving 17 miles with the big boys averaging 7:45ish pace. Not bad knowing I still had a good 3 months of training, and that was about the pace I needed for just 9 more miles on race day.

Setback. Shortly after the run with the boys, my achilles flared up. I struggled through this for the next month, taking more rest days, shortening runs when needed, changing shoes, and using heel lifts. Then, miraculously one day without warning, it was gone.

Mid-March through mid-May brought more challenges. The junior high track season started, which basically gave me 2 less hours a day to find time to run. I found myself going a week of getting up early to get them done, to being completely wiped the next week and waiting till the evening to fit them in. This was a tough time mentally, and I really wanted this to be done. I found the toughest days to be the 13-15 milers on Tuesdays or Wednesdays when I would have to wait until about 5:30 to get started, finish around 7-7:30, then go and pick up the kids from their various activities. On top of this, this was the first marathon in quite a number of years where I was training on my own. Having nobody to force me out the door made it difficult at times to get myself out the door.

Also, in April, we had planned a family vacation for a 3 day cruise and 4 day visit to Universal Studios in Florida. When we had decided on this, I was able to convince my wife to agree that I would need time to continue the training, especially with it being just weeks away from race day. She was great about this, and I was able to get just about all of them in, including an 18 mile treadmill run on the cruise ship. It was actually a great and memorable run.

Race day was approaching, and most runs had gone well. I spent a lot of time debating what pace to shoot for. I “only” needed a 3:30 to qualify, though a 3:25 would allow me to register earlier, and with a PR of 3:23, I was thinking about going for a sub 3:20. After considerable discussions with others, I was convinced that since my true goal was a BQ, shoot for the 3:25.

We drove up to Traverse City on Friday morning for the Saturday race and met up with Tom, Greg, and their families. The three of us made it to the small expo that evening as the girls and kids swam. Afterwards, we went our separate ways early to get our rest.

Race morning brought rain. It was mid 50’s (perfect) and by gun time, the rain had changed to a mist. It really couldn’t have been any better. We wished each other luck, with Greg heading to the front, me mid pack, and Tom a bit behind me.

The plan was to average 7:50 throughout. The first mile was a bit slow, and though I started freaking out already about being taken off pace (7:58 1st mile), I was convinced I could slowly get that back over the next 25 miles. You think?!

The next 17 or so miles, I was hitting somewhere between 7:38-7:48/mile. The miles seemed to be clicking by relatively fast and I was enjoying even so gentle ups and downs that I usually don't get running in New Lenox.

I know many people have had “plans” going into a race, but besides pace, I never had one. This one would be different. If there was anything I learned from Milwaukee, it was that I needed to keep my head in the race for at least 25 miles. It was in Milwaukee that I became way too over confident early on, totally sure the BQ was in the bag. I had paced 2 or more runners all the way to mile 21, high fiving kids, talking, laughing, and totally enjoying every step of that race…until the last 5 miles when I totally fell off pace, despite Frankie’s best effort to keep me going while riding his bike next to me.

For this race, I either ran by myself, or if I could, I would fall in behind someone and “draft”. This was my race, I wasn’t going to help anyone today. There were times that I even had to tell myself to enjoy the view of this race, though in reality with the weather, there wasn’t much to see. I was also sure to hit every tangent I could.

I actually had “planned” a couple of other things I had never done before for a marathon. I had 3 gels and my iPod (which was stored away to be used only if needed). I took the gels at 7, 14, and 21, where in the past I only would take 1, maybe 2. All three went down well, but I still have never been able to feel any change to actually know if they do anything. I also decided around mile 19 to get the iPod going to get my mind off any upcoming struggles I might begin to feel. Passing the mile markers for 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24 never felt better in a marathon. Usually, I would be thinking, “I still have 5 miles to go…damnit”, whereas on this day I was seeing each one go by feeling great about how I knew I was almost there. I had about a 90 second cushion to get under 3:25 around mile 22, and I think it was along here where I added about an extra 15 second walk through a water stop to gather myself for the last few miles.

As I passed mile 24, I was beginning to realize I was going to get this done. The iPod started playing the Black Eyed Peas “I’ve Got a Feeling”, and this was just what I needed to start picking up the pace and pushing it to the finish. I was enjoying the song so much, I actually played it start to finish two more times and had it going as I entered the track for the final 200 yards. It was here I took the earphones out and I could see the clock ahead and enjoyed the final push to the finish. I felt like I was flying, and just steps before the line I could see my family standing in the bleachers as I crossed the line in 3:23:48. I was short of a PR by 21 seconds, but I couldn’t have been more satisfied and happy. As I took a couple more steps, I got a huge hug from Lori H’s friend and fellow DWD runner and late night partier, Karen. It couldn’t have ended any better. I had such a sense of relief of not only finally chasing down this BQ for myself, but joining the club of all of you that had already been there (including my entire DWD team!). Also, it was such a relief to simply be done with this training cycle and race.

The rest of the weekend was spent having such a great time with our families and we had such a blast watching the kids enjoy each other as we enjoyed our beers and food. (Tom and Greg both ran great races, too. Tom finishing with a good time despite a long run of 6 miles, and Greg finishing 7th overall.) It couldn’t have been a better and more memorable weekend with everyone, including the $4000 damage to our car from the lightning strike on the way home.

There you have it. My report.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Bob's Bayshore Report Empty Re: Bob's Bayshore Report

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 pm

Bob great race report buddy! I'm so happy for you, you have worked so hard to get that BQ! And I hope to see you in Boston next year.

As for that feeling late in the race when you know you were going to hit your goal, there is no better feeling in the world! I remember that happening to me at Boston in 2010 and it's like a rush of excitement and energy that just goes through your body!

Can't stop laughing at you calling Tom a "Dick" but good think you stuck with the plan! Again huge congrats to you and thanks for writing this report I have been waiting for this since Bayshore ended! Your so humble buddy.

By the way I told you after Shamrock that you would crush it at Bayshore!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 pm

KICK ASS!!!

Love it, Bob! You earned every second... well done, man... well done!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:47 am

Sweet race - must have felt great as you hit that rack and knew you had it in the bag! Congrats!!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:50 am

Great report, Bob. And congrats on the BQ!

I love how you slipped in that reference to the lightning strike. Yipes. What a way to put a capper on an exciting weekend!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:22 am

Way to go Bobby! I know you've been chasing that BQ for quite some time and I had a feeling about this one. Way to execute and get the job done. Now you get to go face the beast known as Boston. I think we just might see you there this year. Enjoy the ride.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Major congrats on the BQ, but more importantly, on executing a perfect race strategy coming off a really strong training cycle. There's nothing better than having it all come together like that.

Thanks for giving into the coercion and sharing a report. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Wait, except for this part:

Bob wrote:
The iPod started playing the Black Eyed Peas “I’ve Got a Feeling”, and this was just what I needed to start picking up the pace and pushing it to the finish.

What the fuck? Are you in junior high?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Well deserved BQ, Bobby. Congratulations!

You got to thank Tom for tricking you work hard. Basketball
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Awesome job with the BQ. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 am

Bob wrote:I trained for Pikes Peak Marathon in the summer of 2010.
Oh brother. Is this going to be in every race report?

Bob wrote:using heel lifts.
I'll pass...too easy.

Bob wrote:The junior high track season started
I bet you dominated in the 100M sprint.

Bob wrote:Also, in April, we had planned a family vacation for a 3 day cruise and 4 day visit to Universal Studios in Florida.
Prick.

Bob wrote:The iPod started playing the Black Eyed Peas “I’ve Got a Feeling”, and this was just what I needed to start picking up the pace and pushing it to the finish. I was enjoying the song so much, I actually played it start to finish two more times and had it going as I entered the track for the final 200 yards.
Was it the Kidz Bop version? Was that your Junior High Track Team's theme song?

Bob wrote:It was here I took the earphones out and I could see the clock ahead and enjoyed the final push to the finish. I felt like I was flying, and just steps before the line I could see my family standing in the bleachers as I crossed the line in 3:23:48. I was short of a PR by 21 seconds, but I couldn’t have been more satisfied and happy. As I took a couple more steps, I got a huge hug from Lori H’s friend and fellow DWD runner and late night partier, Karen. It couldn’t have ended any better. I had such a sense of relief of not only finally chasing down this BQ for myself, but joining the club of all of you that had already been there (including my entire DWD team!). Also, it was such a relief to simply be done with this training cycle and race.
Seriously, a great job Bob. I've seen you come a long way when it comes to running in the almost 8(?) years I've known you. Congrats on a great race and a thanks for letting me and my Family come along for the ride. I'm like a proud papa.

Now, when is that pool party that you promised us....
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am

Great run, glad the music was there to help you out. This marathon is on my goal list, sounds like a good one to run.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Congrats on the BQ and the well-run race. It's a great feeling to execute a race the way that you planned, and you earned that satisfaction. Way to go.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:25 pm

For someone who hates posting a race report, that was a damn good one - thanks for sharing it. I gather you've been working towards this for a while, so double congrats on nailing a great race!

cheers cheers cheers

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks, Bob. Glad to know that I'm the one who will now be chasing you through the streets of Beantown.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  momof5boys Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Congrats! I'm only a couple of hours away from Bayshore. Someday I'll add it to my list.
Great race.
momof5boys
momof5boys

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Congratulations on the BQ and perfectly executed race. It's an amazing feeling to nail a race. Your report was excellent; I could feel your euphoria. Well done!
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:54 pm

See you in Boston, Well executed Bob!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott C Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:18 am

Belated congrats Bob. We have something in common - first BQ at Bayshore. Well done.
Scott C
Scott C

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Congrats on the BQ and the perfectly executed race - great report too! Sounds like Bayshore is the place to get it done!
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Wow, I'm really late on reading this but what a great race and accomplishment!! Really smart running during it - a lot of us could learn from following a plan like that so well. You nailed it and I'm pumped that you'll be coming to Boston for 2012.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Wow! Great report for someone who hates writing them. BQ dam you worked on and earned it. What a great feeling to know you are going to hit your goal time. Makes the race so much more enjoyable!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down