365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two for one report

4 posters

Go down

Two for one report  Empty Two for one report

Post  amyjoann Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Background I'm training for a road marathon in Oct.so I've been concentrating on getting in speed work and tempo runs.My last big race was an ultra trail so I've had been running a lot of slow trail miles ( my favorite miles:D ) . I hadn't had a good road race since I've been working on speed and tempo so I was getting discouraged thinking it was just gone and I will just be slow:( .

I had a trail half marathon I got a great deal on and it was local,and I could run it with my daughter so I just used that as a step back week and thought it would be a good workout.
The half was on Saturday then I had another race my friend was putting on the next day a road 5 miler. I wasn't going to do the road 5 miler originally because I thought I would be pooped and not do well and I didn't want another disappointment. My friend didn't have a lot of people signed up for the race everyone that I run with on trails would be there I thought I have to support my friend so my daughter who also ran the half said she wanted to do the race too.

Saturday Half marathon this will be a quickie, we started 40 mins late,so it was pretty toasty starting, humidity wasn't bad I would say the temps. probably topped off at 80. I don't like heat, besides Randy, I don't know many people that do.

My daughter and I started together, 1st mile was road we did a 9.38 and she said that felt fine.I was hoping for a little under a 10 min pace for this race. We never really got in a grove at all for this race,the terrain was fine very flat mostly dirt or grass. My daughter was not enjoying the race and letting me know about it loudly she did say she didn't want to run alone so I thought I would stay with her and just ignore the grumblings. We started to slow a lot around an 11;30 pace all the people I was hoping to catch were long gone. By mile 7.5 she kept telling me to go so I did. I had gave her the garmin so I didn't know mileage or pace. I tried to catch people but I got a few but I was frustrated not knowing how far I had to go and the time. I finished in 2:20 I know I picked up the pace quite a bit for the last few miles . My daughter finished 2:30 swearing off trail races.

Sunday  next day5 miler road I was running with two ladies that I had been doing speed work with and I really wanted to beat them . One of the women ran the same race I did the day before she did run it faster ,the other women had fresh legs she didn't run for two days getting ready for this race.

In most of my races I make the same dumb mistake and go out way too fast cuase it feels good and I'm afraid I need to bank time. I told myself this race will be different your first mile will be your slowest your last mile your fastest . I know thats how it should be but I never do it.

We walked to start line and were off, everyone took off fast ..........this was a small race with pretty speedy people. I wanted to follow those two ladies so so bad it looked like they were way way ahead. My goal was at least 44 mins . My first mile I looked at my stupid watch 25 times I ran 8:51. I was real happy with that I wasn't really feeling that great but I said let's go next miles 8:37 yeah! I stopped for water :shock:naughty but I did .Then I got going next mile 8:27 yippee 3 down. This is usually the time in my race or run!  I will slow down and have a pity party for my self not today.Lookey who was right withing reach the two ladies I wanted I said hey girls and took off wee hee ! That felt great I usually get passed don't do the passing. Next one 8:28 I really thought I would feel great at the last mile because I have been practicing fininshing strongs on trainins runs. I didn't feel so good I had one runner in front of me she was in my age group shes usually way faster thatn me so I was excited to be running with her, I stuck with her the whole time I tried a little sprint in the end but I didn't give it enough. I finished 42:33 so happy with my time I got 2nd in my age group . I hope this is foreshadowing of things too come. I beat both those ladies Laughing 

t
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Two for one report  Empty Re: Two for one report

Post  JohnP Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Congrats on a good race. Second in age group is good!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Nice work!  Congrats on running a strong 5 miler after the half - and way to beat your "friends"!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:02 am

Nice work on the races! Sounds like you managed that 5-miler about as well as you could.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down