365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic

+6
Mark B
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
mountandog
Dave P
10 posters

Go down

15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic Empty 15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic

Post  Dave P Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 pm

This one falls under travel…

My wife & I (plus tag along 16 yr old) celebrated 25yrs of marriage on the Oasis of the Seas. Not only is it the largest class of cruise ship ever, it also has the largest running track on a ship ever. At just under .42 mile per lap, it took me just over 36 laps for my longest run on it – a 15 miler. I did have to deal with a couple walkers who not only couldn’t read English (runners only on left track), they were also deaf – “RUNNER ON YOUR LEFT! WATCH OUT, COMING THROUGH!” One guy was like the driver who cuts you off in traffic – he blamed me & yelled that I should have apologized to him when I had to knock him out of my way. I just ignored him, enjoyed the sun rise & the rest of the run. Thank God I only had to knock into a couple walkers. I was at it for over 2 hours & it was quite crowded, so I was very thankful that most people were conscious of the runners.

15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic Img_071215 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic Img_071115 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic Img_0710
15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic Runnin10
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic Empty Re: 15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:06 pm

that is really cool.  you should add in the distance the boat travelled during that time as well!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic Empty Re: 15 Miler in the middle of the Atlantic

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Cool!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:12 pm

I've run on some indoor tracks that look like that, but on a ship - how cool.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:18 pm

That's pretty cool and have always wanted to take a cruise.  Do all ships have tracks on them?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Very cool! Glad you didn't count on your Garmin to track your performance because your speed would have been off the charts!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Mark B wrote:Very cool! Glad you didn't count on your Garmin to track your performance because your speed would have been off the charts!
How many knots do you think he was traveling Wink
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Wow that takes a lot of mental toughness way to get it done:D I would have been so tempted by the many bars I know are on the ship calling my name
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:35 pm

glad I didn't sign up a $5000 cruise.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Jerry wrote:glad I didn't sign up a $5000 cruise.
Actually cruises can be fairly inexpensive.  It all depends on what experience you are looking for.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:59 am

Nick Morris wrote:That's pretty cool and have always wanted to take a cruise.  Do all ships have tracks on them?
I've been on a few cruises & to my knowledge, they all have tracks. However, they're usually very short. .42 mile is huge comparatively speaking. They all have fitness centers with treadmills too.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:01 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Very cool! Glad you didn't count on your Garmin to track your performance because your speed would have been off the charts!
How many knots do you think he was traveling Wink
Approx 18 knots - my Garmin would ding a mile before I got around one .42 mile lap.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:03 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Actually cruises can be fairly inexpensive.  It all depends on what experience you are looking for.
My wife got us a great deal - about $2,000 for the two of us for a week cruise with a balcony. It was about another $800 to add our teenager.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:38 am

Dave P wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
My wife got us a great deal - about $2,000 for the two of us for a week cruise with a balcony. It was about another $800 to add our teenager.
That's awesome!!!  All inclusive, right??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:16 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Not the good stuff, I suppose.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:07 am

Was it fairly smooth or did the boat pitch noticeably?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
I take it that Jerry is against cruising for some reason.
Only the specialty restaurants & specialty drinks were not included. The food that was included, was all that you could eat & fantastic!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:39 pm

ounce wrote:Was it fairly smooth or did the boat pitch noticeably?
The smoothest cruise we've ever been on! There were many times we asked each other if we were even moving.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Dave P wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Only the specialty restaurants & specialty drinks were not included. The food that was included, was all that you could eat & fantastic!
So what does one look for in a cruise, when you're a runner and not really wanting to buffet it?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Dave P wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
More of jealous.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:12 am

ounce wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
So what does one look for in a cruise, when you're a runner and not really wanting to buffet it?
You have to watch the calories on any cruise, because of the abundance of "free" food. If you want the longest track, Royal Caribbean can't be beat. However, the ultimate cruise for runners (on my bucket list) is one of these: http://www.runningcruise.com/
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:48 am

Dave P wrote:
ounce wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Dave P wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
You have to watch the calories on any cruise, because of the abundance of "free" food. If you want the longest track, Royal Caribbean can't be beat. However, the ultimate cruise for runners (on my bucket list) is one of these: http://www.runningcruise.com/
Sold!!!  Sign me up...don't even care what the cost is Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am

The alaskan marathon cruise just went on my bucket list, too....
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down