365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Savannah Marathon

+12
Jerry
Diego
T Miller
Michael Enright
ounce
carleenp
Nick Morris
amyjoann
Gobbles
Michele "1L" Keane
fostever
John Kilpatrick
16 posters

Go down

Savannah Marathon Empty Savannah Marathon

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:42 am

The numbers...
Finished In: 03:14:01
      Overall:87 out of 3059
      Division:
11 out of 265

1st half:  1:35:56
2nd half:  1:38:05

I’ve not had anything of consequence to write about in a long time, but I finally got to run my second marathon – in and of itself an accomplishment!  It had been 979 days since my last (and first) one, ran in March of 2011.  I was starry-eyed then and wanted to qualify for the Boston Marathon – I busted my butt in training then and felt great at the start.  I did the predictable thing and went out WAY too hard and crashed and burned at about mile 20 or so and limped in, doing a run-walk death march to finish.  Fast forward to now and I’ve been injured more often than not it seems, but have never given up.  I’ve had way more failures than successes, but managed to do some smaller runs in between getting hurt but have mixed in some P-90, Insanity, swimming, cycling into the gaps – did some fun stuff like a 5K swim and a half ironman (where I also crashed and burned and had to run-walk to the finish).  But, my heart has always really been with running and I still want to run marathons and someday qualify for the Boston Marathon.  At the end of the day, I just love to run. 

Enough of all of that and on to the race – I know there are mixed feelings about Rock and Roll events (understandably), but the only reason I signed up for this one was it was in Georgia and fit my time schedule.  The expo was easy as pie to get in and out of and I had no issues at all with anything logistically.  Not nearly the same as the small Albany marathon where you can park right next to the starting/finishing line but the city of Savannah was pretty cool and getting around was not that bad.  I did a 3-miler the day before and felt really really good.  The morning of, we (I went with a buddy who ran the half) parked nearby and took a ferryboat to the starting line.  One last trip to the porta-potty (successful trip which gave much peace of mind!) and I hung around my corral.  It was in the mid 40-s, so the weather was PERFECT – I wore some throwaway clothes and took them off with about 10 minutes to go – chugged some Gatorade and ate a couple of Gu-s with about 5 minutes to go and before I knew it we were off and running. 
Because of my last two longer events (marathon and half-marathon) where I ended up bonking, I had some demons in my head and fought extra hard through the early miles to SLOW DOWN.  Every time I looked at my watch I usually ended up pulling back on the pace.  Those early miles felt so ridiculously easy but I know now that is the way they are supposed to feel.  At the 13 mile mark, my left foot cramped up (something that happens regularly, just in the left foot but it causes my toes to curl up and is a pain in the rear).  I was hopeful it wouldn’t last long and by mile 14 it had relaxed again and didn’t cause any more problems.  The first probably 15 miles ticked away really quickly – almost surreal.  I remember thinking the 15 mile mark that I should now give myself permission to speed up a little because I felt so good – but I was afraid of going too fast (still nervous about a bonk even though I felt great).  Turned out to be smart thinking.  By about the 18 mile mark I started thinking that I should maybe chill out and wait until the 20 mile mark to pick up the pace if I could.  Aerobically I felt fine still, but my legs were starting to feel the pounding and I wanted to finish strong.  It is about there that I caught up with the 3:15 pace group (they started a corral ahead of me and were cruising along ahead of schedule anyway.  I noticed them during a switchback earlier with a group of about 15 people and, when I caught them, there were about 8 left.  I thought about passing them, but decided to play it smart, at least for a while and run with them.  The pacer was really cool and we talked while we ran – I remember passing mile 20 without a bonk and thinking I am really going to do this!  Although I felt like I could of, I made the decision then to “hang back” with the pace group until maybe the last 5K or so – no sense in being cocky now (another wise decision).  At about mile 21, we passed a water station and one of the runners slipped on a cup and fell – hard, taking out another runner behind him.  I felt awful for him, but amazingly, he bounced right up and rejoined the group.  At mile 22, I started gassing.  All of a sudden, my legs felt like they weighed a ton each – we ran up a bridge overpass at mile 23 and that was where the first thoughts crept in of “I might not make it” – but I was going to give it everything I had.  The thought struck me at about 23.5 that this was the farthest I had ever ran at one time before without walking – pretty cool!  That carried me until about mile 24.  We faced a headwind on the Parkway, but thankfully, Gobbles had warned me about it and I just tucked in behind the pacer (by this time, there were only 2 of us left with him).  I don’t know if it helped or not, but it made me feel better.  At mile 25 we came back off the highway and I was struggling badly – I wanted to stop SO BAD, but wanted to finish more.  I kept thinking a line from Scott Jurek’s book, where he told himself “sometimes, you just do things”.  At this point, it was just the pacer and myself.  He was so awesome and told me that he would stick with me until the end.  My pace slowed quite a bit in that last mile, but he hung right with me.  All I can say is that I’m glad the race was not 26.3 miles, or I might have been in a lot of trouble!  I crossed the line and after a moment or two was sort of overtaken with emotion.  Well, emotion and pain!  But a damned good pain.  I grabbed some Gatorade, milk, water, banana and bagel and limped to a spot where I could finally sit down.  I tried to sit down for the first 10-15 minutes or so but felt like I would cramp if I did so I just aimlessly walked for a while.  It sure felt good to finally sit and finally felt like I could drink something without barfing! 

So, there you have it.  I may not of paced perfectly, but I left absolutely nothing on the course that day. Nothing.  It felt honest and it felt good.  From the sounds of it, while I met a BQ standard, I probably won’t get to run Boston because I am officially only 59 seconds under my time needed – it seems like I would need something like BQ-5 maybe to get in?  Who knows (I even asked Hal and he didn’t even want to make a guess), but it’s out of my hands anyway.  I hope I’m wrong because I would SO love to run there, but on this day, I did everything I possibly could to get there. 
Other small things I learned:  I drank something at about every water station – even if it wasn’t much.  Water and Gatorade.  I ate 4 Gu’s (two before and two during) – on hindsight, I would of drank even a little more and ate maybe a couple more Gu’s.  Easily correctable and I don’t even know if it would make a difference.  Running by feel is probably awesome for experienced marathoners, but for me, my Garmin was important for keeping me in check.  By keeping somewhat of a pace through much of the race, I ended up passing a lot of people in the last 6-8 miles or so.  I felt bad for the walkers who looked defeated – I’ve been there for sure.  Pacers are awesome – I never thought I would like running with one, but he definitely helped me over those last 4 miles.  I was probably a bit undertrained by the time I got there, but at least I wasn’t injured and was able to give it a shot.  Speed can always be improved, but my biggest obstacle remains endurance.  I did little true speedwork over the last few months and not even many MP miles – maybe not the best way for every person, but it kept me from getting hurt. 

I really didn’t mean this to be so long, but I guess this is what happens when you have nothing to write about for a couple of years!  Thanks for reading and, as always, thanks for the support!

According to my Garmin:

milepace
17:19
27:18
37:15
47:17
57:22
67:21
77:15
87:16
97:21
107:20
117:21
127:19
137:19
147:16
157:11
167:10
177:16
187:17
197:20
207:24
217:27
227:26
237:29
247:37
257:44
268:06
.28:03

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Savannah Marathon Empty Re: Savannah Marathon

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:45 am

Savannah Marathon Savann14

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Way to go getting that coveted BQ, sweet! Looks like you paced quite well indeed, very short fade on the last couple which is normal. Don't count yourself out quite yet for Boston 2015! This year was a bit of a tight entrance due to the bombings. It may be easier in 2015.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 pm

As you know, I am so proud of you and all the work you did to make you goal and get it you did!!!!  Way to go!! Splits look very good and you ran a smart race.  Love that your race number was 2013!  Even if you don't get in - you ran the time, and since you have plenty of time, you can even think about running another one between then and now to get more experience and since the time is no longer as important than the experience, I bet you run another PR!  I've enjoyed your story and path to get to the finish line.  Rest up and recover well and I, so hope to see you in Boston in 2015!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Congratulations John!

The bib number is awesome!

It's a BQ!  I remember my first BQ, what a great feeling!!!
(A friend that I 'coached' BQed there in tears!)
I've paced and run a bunch of friends in for their first BQs, many of tears!!!
Basically, forget about the rolling registration, and revel in the accomplishment!

BTW:  Looks like I'm coming back for Albany in a few months!
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:49 pm

great race ! Your splits look real strong,glad you were healthy and had a great race.
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Congratulations John!!!!  I bet it was a great feeling to finish this race and run it the way you did.  I still remember when you got injured and it seemed like it would be a long journey back to health.  Well...I think that you've made it!!  I hope that it takes you a while to come down from the runner's high!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Awesome race! Congrats on the BQ! Personally, if I got a BQ, but didn't make the registration cut off, I would probably do a charity bib. I figure at that point you qualified, so you might as well be there however you can get there! Others could very well differ though.

And I know how you felt at 25, I felt the same with mine this weekend. I'm not sure how I got through that mile!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Really consistent times, John.  Great story and better race.  Gratz!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Congrats! Nice to read after all your issues, I'll say that!!

Well done.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:39 am

Amazing job John!  I know it's been a long road to get to the starting line healthy and ready to run that BQ.  Congrats on your accomplishment and I hope that your path is a lot easier in the future.  I think you have a lot more potential that you'll be able to tap into in your future races.  If you're interested I bet you could improve that BQ time so that you could have a solid chance at getting into the 2015 race.  Anyway, congrats and I hope that we can meet up at a race sometime.  Way to go!
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:24 am

fostever wrote:Way to go getting that coveted BQ, sweet! Looks like you paced quite well indeed, very short fade on the last couple which is normal. Don't count yourself out quite yet for Boston 2015! This year was a bit of a tight entrance due to the bombings. It may be easier in 2015.
Thanks!  Been a long time coming! 

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:As you know, I am so proud of you and all the work you did to make you goal and get it you did!!!!  Way to go!! Splits look very good and you ran a smart race.  Love that your race number was 2013!  Even if you don't get in - you ran the time, and since you have plenty of time, you can even think about running another one between then and now to get more experience and since the time is no longer as important than the experience, I bet you run another PR!  I've enjoyed your story and path to get to the finish line.  Rest up and recover well and I, so hope to see you in Boston in 2015!
Thanks Michele!!!!!  That race number was pretty cool.  I'm competing in the Louisville Ironman next summer so my focus is shifting a little bit towards that, but after that my plan is to get back to more of a pure running focus.

Gobbles wrote:Congratulations John!

The bib number is awesome!

It's a BQ!  I remember my first BQ, what a great feeling!!!
(A friend that I 'coached' BQed there in tears!)
I've paced and run a bunch of friends in for their first BQs, many of tears!!!
Basically, forget about the rolling registration, and revel in the accomplishment!

BTW:  Looks like I'm coming back for Albany in a few months!
Awesome Steven - I was choking back the tears not too successfully...  This time, we'll have to hook up before the Albany race - are you doing the half or full?  My plan is the half again this year. 

amyjoann wrote:great race ! Your splits look real strong,glad you were healthy and had a great race.
Thanks!

Nick Morris wrote:Congratulations John!!!!  I bet it was a great feeling to finish this race and run it the way you did.  I still remember when you got injured and it seemed like it would be a long journey back to health.  Well...I think that you've made it!!  I hope that it takes you a while to come down from the runner's high!!
Thanks Nick - still a little bit surreal.  I'm stoked for you too!  Yes, the journey back was rocky with some low moments, but nobody ever said this would be easy - it is worth it even if the journey is all that we ever have though. 

carleenp wrote:Awesome race! Congrats on the BQ! Personally, if I got a BQ, but didn't make the registration cut off, I would probably do a charity bib. I figure at that point you qualified, so you might as well be there however you can get there! Others could very well differ though.

And I know how you felt at 25, I felt the same with mine this weekend. I'm not sure how I got through that mile!
Thanks - that stinking last mile was tough, but I'm already looking forward to my next one!

ounce wrote:Really consistent times, John.  Great story and better race.  Gratz!
Thanks!!!

Michael Enright wrote:Congrats! Nice to read after all your issues, I'll say that!!

Well done.
Thanks Michael! 

T Miller wrote:Amazing job John!  I know it's been a long road to get to the starting line healthy and ready to run that BQ.  Congrats on your accomplishment and I hope that your path is a lot easier in the future.  I think you have a lot more potential that you'll be able to tap into in your future races.  If you're interested I bet you could improve that BQ time so that you could have a solid chance at getting into the 2015 race.  Anyway, congrats and I hope that we can meet up at a race sometime.  Way to go!
Thanks Tim!  If I can stay healthy, I think I can continue to improve - maybe IM cross training will help in the years ahead, but in any case, from where I came from, looking back I have accomplished more than I thought I could and I still feel as if my best days are ahead!  Appreciate the support and encouragement!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 am

I got curious and looked at the BAA webpage again and actually read about qualifying.  Apparently, they use the age at race time and not the age at the time of the qualifying race for their entry submissions.  The 2015 race is scheduled for April 20th and I will turn 45 on April 16th.  I'm assuming I read this correctly - if so, then I should have a much better chance of getting there.  If I'm right, then I'm one lucky guy!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:I got curious and looked at the BAA webpage again and actually read about qualifying.  Apparently, they use the age at race time and not the age at the time of the qualifying race for their entry submissions.  The 2015 race is scheduled for April 20th and I will turn 45 on April 16th.  I'm assuming I read this correctly - if so, then I should have a much better chance of getting there.  If I'm right, then I'm one lucky guy!
Yes, it should be the age that you will be the day of the race.  Therefore, next year I will move up an age group.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Congrats on a well run race, John. I may have to look at the course map for Savannah. I love that place, even if the Forrest Gump bench was only a prop and the lines for Paula Deen's restaurant were too long(back when our son was 9 months old).

I certainly hope you ate you some fine Suth-un food after the race.

Your comment about mile 22 rings true for almost every marathon I have run. You held it together very well.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Excellent John. I bet you will get in Boston.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:35 am

Way to go John.  Great perserverance in coming back from the injury.  I think you'd get into Boston even if you didn't turn 45 right before the race. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 am

Nick Morris wrote:
John Kilpatrick wrote:I got curious and looked at the BAA webpage again and actually read about qualifying.  Apparently, they use the age at race time and not the age at the time of the qualifying race for their entry submissions.  The 2015 race is scheduled for April 20th and I will turn 45 on April 16th.  I'm assuming I read this correctly - if so, then I should have a much better chance of getting there.  If I'm right, then I'm one lucky guy!
Yes, it should be the age that you will be the day of the race.  Therefore, next year I will move up an age group.
 This is true.  I have a friend who turns 45 on race day, and they used her time as if her age is already 45 - she got in, but would have missed by 30 sec if she was still 44 on 4/21.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 pm

A little late in getting to this, but it was worth the wait! 

It looks like you did everything right in this race, and it paid off handsomely for you. Congrats on getting your second marathon done so well -- and offering the best quote I've seen in a race report in quite a while: "I wanted to stop SO BAD, but I wanted to finish more." So true! 

At this point, don't worry if your BQ-0:59 is enough. It's a BQ! Cause enough for serious celebration. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:29 am

Yeah John!!!!!  Congrats on finally meeting your goal.  It's been a long haul.  Enjoy the accomplishment and revel in the BQ.   With you moving to 45, you are most likely in.  Hope to see you in 2015.  Again - well run and well earned.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:13 am

John HUGE CONGRATS!!!! With everything that has gone on over the last year this BQ was well deserved and I bet was very emotional for you!! What I like is the pacing great job, I think this made all the difference in the world. You only slowed down by 2:05 from the first half, that is awesome!!!

LIke others have said I can still remember my first BQ and there is not a day that doesn't go by that I don't remember ever single Boston I have run. It's a special race with a lot of special moments and feelings!! Look forward to seeing you in Beantown in 15!!

GREAT FING JOB!!!!!!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down