365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asics 8 km Race in Dubai

+2
Mark B
Chris Coleman
6 posters

Go down

Asics 8 km Race in Dubai Empty Asics 8 km Race in Dubai

Post  Chris Coleman Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:57 pm

What a waste of effort by the organisers. It's the only 4K and 8K race series in the country. Bib collection without a hitch. Start and finish at a nice golf clubhouse, so we could have breakfast afterwards. Clear announcements. Clear marshalling. Lots of water stations. Chip timing.

The course was SHORT BY 400 METRES. How could they get it that wrong? My pace would have given me a 32-minute PB, but what use is a 30:18 7.6K? Running clubs organise most of the races, and they take trouble over accuracy. This was organised by professionals!

In seven years, it's only the second inaccurate course I've run (as far as I know). The other one was government-organised.

Two redeeming features: I was working in Dubai the day before, so I was spared the 100-mile drive; it was a pretty good social occasion.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Asics 8 km Race in Dubai Empty Re: Asics 8 km Race in Dubai

Post  Mark B Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:11 am

Oops. That's got to be embarrassing for the race organizers, Chris. 

Congrats, however, on a PR that will never fall! Unless somebody incorrectly measures a course again, that is.

I'm sure we'd love to see photos from the event...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:29 am

Frustrating...  We take it for granted here I guess that we can race all over the place almost whenever we want to.  Oh well, great pace nonetheless - 6:25 min/mile is no joke!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Impressive Chris, well done !
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Well on the positive side great time and effort! On the other end of it I don't understand how race directors continue to mark course distances wrong. Again on the other end 2 races in 7 years marked wrong is still a great %!

Now with the above being said and people experience wrong distances quiet frequently, I have only had this issue once back in 2008. 

Again huge congrats and as always it's inspiring to read about your racing. I hope that I'm doing the same as I approach this part of my master running career.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:50 pm

a great way to ring in the new year.  A 7.6 PR.  Awesome.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down