365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubai Marathon 10K Race

+7
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Dave Wolfe
Michele "1L" Keane
KBFitz
mountandog
Chris Coleman
11 posters

Go down

Dubai Marathon 10K Race Empty Dubai Marathon 10K Race

Post  Chris Coleman Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am

Last year I had a competitive start and I made the mistake of assuming it would be the same this year, but apart from the elites, there was only a mass start. I had to go all the way to the back, which really served me right for not checking. Anyway, I was not out to break any records, and gave myself a target of 42:30. Officially, my hip-flexor recovery period finished two days before, so the previous 16 weeks had seen 8 of no running (except one ill-advised 5K), followed by 8 of limited running, and no speed work except experimental 5K and 8K races.

The hip-flexor trouble is still there, but succumbs to a good warm-up and no longer troubles me when racing. The problem with this race was the obstruction of all those people that crossed the starting line ahead of me. Progress was made more with elbows than legs, though I sometimes got through by shouting "excuse me", or words to that effect, or by turning sideways to fit through a gap, but mostly I just had to zigzag.

In the circumstances, I did not feel ashamed of doing the first half in 21:52. The return was somewhat easier and I completed it in 20:56 for an overall time of 42:48. It wasn't what I had in mind, but I did manage to pass over 8000 people, which is one every four feet.

Just think: if I'd then done it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, I'd have run a hundred miles, just like Whitney.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Dubai Marathon 10K Race Empty Re: Dubai Marathon 10K Race

Post  mountandog Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 am

I can just envision you passing 8000 people. Push, shove, zig-zag. Would be interesting to run in Dubai some day. Even with all that zigging and zagging you came close to your target. Good job.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Massive Chris! It is astounding how well you were able to run through the full pack coming off a serious dual-illio psoas / hip flexor injury. Looks like you're back in the groove ... with stretching, no doubt. Very cool.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Amazing Chris! I can't imagine passing all those people and in the heat.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Crowded comeback but a good result considering the start in the back of the pack.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm

8,000 people, that had to be fun. Nice job!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Great Job Chris!!! Sounds like insanity...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:Last year I had a competitive start and I made the mistake of assuming it would be the same this year, but apart from the elites, there was only a mass start. I had to go all the way to the back, which really served me right for not checking. Anyway, I was not out to break any records, and gave myself a target of 42:30. Officially, my hip-flexor recovery period finished two days before, so the previous 16 weeks had seen 8 of no running (except one ill-advised 5K), followed by 8 of limited running, and no speed work except experimental 5K and 8K races.

The hip-flexor trouble is still there, but succumbs to a good warm-up and no longer troubles me when racing. The problem with this race was the obstruction of all those people that crossed the starting line ahead of me. Progress was made more with elbows than legs, though I sometimes got through by shouting "excuse me", or words to that effect, or by turning sideways to fit through a gap, but mostly I just had to zigzag.

In the circumstances, I did not feel ashamed of doing the first half in 21:52. The return was somewhat easier and I completed it in 20:56 for an overall time of 42:48. It wasn't what I had in mind, but I did manage to pass over 8000 people, which is one every four feet.

Just think: if I'd then done it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, I'd have run a hundred miles, just like Whitney.

lol!
Glad you're able to get back out there and run a race after your injury, even if it wasn't your usual. Maybe you should have just thrown a few elbows instead of being nice. Negative splits are always good!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:21 am

The 20:56 2nd half had me scratching my head. That's crazy fast and a massive negative split I guess explained by how much you were held back at the start. But then I start digging and sure enough you only ran like 10 seconds faster than that for a full 5K (Zayed City) earlier this month!! My Sandbagging Alarm is going off, Chris!! I know, I know....you are coming back from an injury and so what I'm really seeing is how quickly fitness and speed is coming back. That's great and it looks like you are already in sub 42 shape and could go under 20:00 at 5K right now. AWESOME to see you back out there burning up the roads.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. For me, the big thing is that I feel my injury is basically behind me and I can concentrate on getting faster. Last year my best 10K was 41:28 and I think I can beat that if I manage to avoid further injuries. I'd love to equal my 40:28 of three years ago, but I think I have to face the fact that it will probably never happen again. However, I might just manage a sub-20 5K. It's a few years since I did one, but I'm full of optimism.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:... and in the heat.
I spend my summers moaning about the temperature, but January can be good and this particular day it was perfect - low sixties, I imagine.

wrichman wrote:... instead of being nice.
I wasn't quite as gentle or politely worded as the impression I may have given Wink

Chris M wrote:...looks like you are already in sub 42 shape and could go under 20:00 at 5K right now.
Sub-42 I feel I might manage, but under 20:00 for the 5K will take some work. I started on that today with 8 x 400m reps, without pulling anything.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 pm

By the way, I was beaten by a gentleman, 68 next month, who ran 39:17.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:Thank you everyone for the kind comments. For me, the big thing is that I feel my injury is basically behind me and I can concentrate on getting faster. Last year my best 10K was 41:28 and I think I can beat that if I manage to avoid further injuries. I'd love to equal my 40:28 of three years ago, but I think I have to face the fact that it will probably never happen again. However, I might just manage a sub-20 5K. It's a few years since I did one, but I'm full of optimism.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:... and in the heat.
I spend my summers moaning about the temperature, but January can be good and this particular day it was perfect - low sixties, I imagine.

wrichman wrote:... instead of being nice.
I wasn't quite as gentle or politely worded as the impression I may have given Wink

Chris M wrote:...looks like you are already in sub 42 shape and could go under 20:00 at 5K right now.
Sub-42 I feel I might manage, but under 20:00 for the 5K will take some work. I started on that today with 8 x 400m reps, without pulling anything.

Try 3 x 1600 at 6:25 too. Or 8 x 800 at 3:15 each. You complete either of those and 19:XX is a cinch.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Great job on the race, Chris! Having to pass all those people really messes with your mojo! Now, if only you could run as fast as a 68 year old. affraid
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Dang, pretty darn good zig zag race with an 82.33% age grade! Glad to hear you're on the mend. I'm always mending something.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down