365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 16 of 41 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 41  Next

Go down

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 16 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:52 pm

For us, it means a more active Atlantic hurricane season, but that isn't supposed to happen until September, and less rain otherwise. 

Yeah, I noticed that y'all were hoofing for high 90s, today.  Oddly enough, we haven't hit 90, officially, this year, but that's supposed to be taken care of by mid-week.  Spotty showers tomorrow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:36 pm

I failed to mention that on Friday, I ran 4 miles.  I was shooting for 3 or 4.  It turned out that it was the best run since restarting a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't feel winded.  It could be that I didn't lift weights on the day before (Thursday) giving me a full day of rest or that I'm just getting some endurance back.  Who knows?

4 miles, 55:13, 13:48 pace, 73 avg bpm (YEAH, baby!), 166 avg cadence, 0.70 m avg stride length
1.  13:46, 167 spm, 70 sl
2.  13:32, 169 spm, 70 sl
3.  14:03, 165 spm, 69 sl
4.  13:51, 163 spm, 71 sl
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:40 am

ounce wrote:I failed to mention that on Friday, I ran 4 miles.  I was shooting for 3 or 4.  It turned out that it was the best run since restarting a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't feel winded.  It could be that I didn't lift weights on the day before (Thursday) giving me a full day of rest or that I'm just getting some endurance back.  Who knows?

4 miles, 55:13, 13:48 pace, 73 avg bpm (YEAH, baby!), 166 avg cadence, 0.70 m avg stride length
1.  13:46, 167 spm, 70 sl
2.  13:32, 169 spm, 70 sl
3.  14:03, 165 spm, 69 sl
4.  13:51, 163 spm, 71 sl

It's nice to have one of those runs that just feels good isn't it.  I know for me those are the runs that encourage me to keep doing this and get me through those tough runs.  Glad to hear that it went well!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Nice run! Yeah, I wonder if the rest day after weights helped, too.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice run! Yeah, I wonder if the rest day after weights helped, too.
It probably was.

Especially, since I ran 3 miles this morning for the first physical activity of the week and I was running 13:30's, while still feeling like I was running 14's.  It was 72 degrees and 100% humidity, this morning.  As a worthless side note, when I run, I trim the fauna that overhangs onto the sidewalk, so I don't get an errant bush limb against my eyes.  On the eastbound side of Memorial Drive, I'm gradually trimming back the limbs, as I run.  I usually run on the westbound side, but they're doing road work on the westbound side.

The HR is closer to accurate because it only took the watch a 1/4 mile to get up to proper HR range.  170 was the cadence target.

3 miles, 40:23, 13:27 pace, 140 avg bpm, 156 max bpm during mile 3, 164 avg spm, 0.73 m avg stride length.
1.  13:34, 126 bpm, 167 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:28, 145 bpm, 164 spm, 73 sl
3.  13:20, 151 bpm, 159 spm, 76 sl

I think on Friday that I'll target a 5 mile distance.  I haven't ran 5 miles in a coon's age, so maybe I"ll get it.

As far as the BB50, I guess y'all would recommend me running that course as much as possible, since it's about a 45 minute drive from home?  Right now, it's closed because it butts up against the Brazos River and it's still not within its banks, although much closer.  I wouldn't be running there until the Fall, anyway.  Some of my long runs would have to be done on pavement, since Houston is a road course.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Just popping in a 50 mile schedule that I have seen.  I wouldn't be able to run that much (5x/week), so I'd have to break it down to 3-4 times/week.
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 16 6dafc6ddb975b31f0db0ba6a3567713a

comments, por favor?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:44 am

Trying to quantify a run/walk plan for BB50, I found a website from where I plugged in the distance (50.4 miles), walking pace (18/mile), running time (5 minutes), walking time (1 minute), and desired finishing time (14 hours).  This was the result:  To run 50.4 miles in 14:00:30 using the 5/1 run/walk technique with a walking pace of 18:00 per mile your running phase pace should be 16:26 minutes per mile.
This was the website:  http://coachdino.org/runwalk.htm
Taking into account my zero experience at that distance, the pace seems doable.

Applying the same to JJ100, except for changing the finishing time to 20 hours, this was the result:  To run 100 Km in 20:00:30 using the 5/1 run/walk technique with a walking pace of 18:00 per mile your running phase pace should be 19:36 minutes per mile.
This was odd because my walking pace would be faster than the running pace.

Finally, applying this to the marathon with a finishing time of 5:45, this was the result:  To run 26.4 miles in 5:45:30 using the 5/1 run/walk technique with a walking pace of 18:00 per mile your running phase pace should be 12:24 minutes per mile.
I haven't ran a 12:24 in 3 years, but dropping weight makes that doable.  If I did a 9/1, the pace would be 12:42.

In other news, I went and lifted weights this morning.  Running, tomorrow.  And now, weather.
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 16 File
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:41 pm

So many points to address!

On the BB50, I'd say yes: Do as many miles on the actual course as you can. It'll get your body used to the terrain and, more importantly, get your psyche ready to recognize where you are when you're actually doing the race. Those landmarks can mean a lot when you're struggling. Not that you will, of course, but just in case...

On the training plan: I'd emphasize that the long runs are the most important element of that plan. It's not necessary to run 5 days a week. But it is vital to get those long runs in, ideally in a back-to-back approach. Now, I did not do two 20s in a row -- I think that's excessive if your goal is to finish your first -- but a long run either preceded or followed by a run of about half the distance (20/10, 22/11, 24/12) can be very helpful. If that's not possible, just getting in as many runs as you can of 20 miles or better will give you the endurance you need to get through the day.

On the pace calculator: Cool! I didn't know someone had put something like that together. It makes sense, though.

Weather: It's hard to wrap my brain around the fact that we here in the cool and rainy Pacific NW has logged more 90° days this year than hot-n-steamy Houston. Crazy!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:40 am

Mark B wrote:So many points to address!

On the BB50, I'd say yes: Do as many miles on the actual course as you can. It'll get your body used to the terrain and, more importantly, get your psyche ready to recognize where you are when you're actually doing the race. Those landmarks can mean a lot when you're struggling. Not that you will, of course, but just in case...

On the training plan: I'd emphasize that the long runs are the most important element of that plan. It's not necessary to run 5 days a week. But it is vital to get those long runs in, ideally in a back-to-back approach. Now, I did not do two 20s in a row -- I think that's excessive if your goal is to finish your first -- but a long run either preceded or followed by a run of about half the distance (20/10, 22/11, 24/12) can be very helpful. If that's not possible, just getting in as many runs as you can of 20 miles or better will give you the endurance you need to get through the day.

On the pace calculator: Cool! I didn't know someone had put something like that together. It makes sense, though.

Weather: It's hard to wrap my brain around the fact that we here in the cool and rainy Pacific NW has logged more 90° days this year than hot-n-steamy Houston. Crazy!

+1 on all Mark's advice.  You've got your own on-line coach!

The only thing that I will add is not to panic about not being able to run as many days as they recommend.  I've never been able (physically or time management wise) to handle running more than 3 days a week and I managed to successfully train for marathons.  Just pick out the important parts of the plan which as Mark says are the long back to back runs and then fill in with whatever else you can manage.

I don't remember dates of your events.  Where does the Houston marathon fit into your BB50 training plan?

That is a cool pace calculator.  Seems to indicate to me that your goals are very doable!

This weather is definitely interesting this year.  I've got friends all over Australia who are also experiencing unusual weather patterns as well.

Keep us posted...on the weather and the training...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:46 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:So many points to address!

+1 on all Mark's advice.  You've got your own on-line coach!

The only thing that I will add is not to panic about not being able to run as many days as they recommend.  I've never been able (physically or time management wise) to handle running more than 3 days a week and I managed to successfully train for marathons.  Just pick out the important parts of the plan which as Mark says are the long back to back runs and then fill in with whatever else you can manage.

I don't remember dates of your events.  Where does the Houston marathon fit into your BB50 training plan?

That is a cool pace calculator.  Seems to indicate to me that your goals are very doable!

This weather is definitely interesting this year.  I've got friends all over Australia who are also experiencing unusual weather patterns as well.

Keep us posted...on the weather and the training...
Hey, Nancy!  Yes, Mark is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.  I shouldn't have posted that training plan.  The one Julie posted a couple of weeks ago is plenty good enough, plus I knew running that much would be impossible.

The Houston marathon is January 15 and the Brazos Bend 50 is April 8, or about 10 or 11 weeks after Houston.  Temps in April should be up to the low 80's.

The weather, for the present, should be 'sea breeze' showers where the normal SE wind will bring in showers in addition to 'popcorn' showers (also called 'splash and dash' showers), until a High pressure compresses, thereby heats up, the atmosphere and temps rise quickly.  The wild card will be tropical development in the Gulf, until August when the disturbances come off the Sahara Desert and work their way west.

-30-

Friday, I ran 5 miles.  The legs were evidently somewhat tired from Thursday weights, because my cadence started to slow at only 3/4 miles into the run.  I figured that going is going, no matter the pace or cadence at my level of endurance.  The time on my feet was worthwhile.  Heck, at the pace I was going, I didn't have to open my mouth to breathe!  I could've ran farther, but I had a specific time to spend to run.  That was a nice turn of events.  If the bad part was that my cadence was shot, I have enough ketones to fuel the run.  Very cool.

5 miles, 1:16:08, 15:13 pace, 139 avg bpm, 152 max bpm during mile 1, 151 avg cadence, 0.70 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 15:05, 2nd half pace 15:21.
1.  14:35, 140 bpm, 164 spm, 67 sl
2.  15:01, 140 bpm, 148 spm, 72 sl
3.  15:39, 138 bpm, 145 spm, 71 sl
4.  15:31, 139 bpm, 149 spm, 70 sl
5.  15:18, 139 bpm, 149 spm, 70 sl

No pains nor niggles.  I'm tempted to run 5 again on Monday, to see how two days of rest affects things.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey! Look at that consistent low heart rate! You'll ration out the ketones quite nicely if you can keep your body in that zone for longer. Your pace was pretty consistent, too. This sort of run will help you more than you think it might!

Run 5 again on Monday. If you do it the same way as this last run, even better!

"Popcorn showers" is a new one on me. And weather off the Saraha sounds so exotic! It's a small world, after all!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Mark B wrote:Hey! Look at that consistent low heart rate! You'll ration out the ketones quite nicely if you can keep your body in that zone for longer. Your pace was pretty consistent, too. This sort of run will help you more than you think it might!

Run 5 again on Monday. If you do it the same way as this last run, even better!

"Popcorn showers" is a new one on me. And weather off the Saraha sounds so exotic! It's a small world, after all!

Thanks.  Yeah, the run will help, but the 170 cadence is clearly the reason why the heart rate doesn't remain low, as well as breathing heavier, but that will lessen as all the pieces adapt to the 170.  Although, I can't expect that adaption to occur while in the sauna of Summer.  However, I can certainly achieve some endurance in the Summer.  In 2014, my training cadence was 164 and last year it was 168.

I have to crawfish a bit on the 'no niggles,' as I seem to have my left, medial ankle collapsing again, as my left shoe is showing too much wear for the mileage.  As a visual aid, below is what my Nike Vomero 6's shows with my left ankle problem back in the Fall of 2013:
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 16 Img_0111
Which caused me to get the minimal 4 mm drop Saucony Kinvara and has worked well under the Kinvara 4.  The Kinvara 5 has the usual tiny changes and I wore a pair for the marathon this past January without issue.  Now, that same pair (I even wore them for the 4 hour walk on Memorial Day weekend) seems to be collapsing like the photo above.  I think walking on them for 4 hours scraped a little too much off the left, medial heel material on the shoe.

I'm thinking of taping a couple of quarters to the top of the sole inside the shoe, so it raises my left medial ankle a bit.

Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:59 am

Yikes. You should probably just replace the shoes.

Do you scuff your left heel as you run? Because that's kind of what it looks like.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:36 am

Boy those shoes did really wear in that one spot didn't they!  Are your current shoes that bad or just starting to show the same pattern of wear?  Is this something you can correct with exercise?  insoles?  different type shoes?

Nice job on that last run btw...  I'm with Mark.  Those low HR runs will really payoff for the distances you're now training for.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:39 am

Mark B wrote:Yikes. You should probably just replace the shoes.

Do you scuff your left heel as you run? Because that's kind of what it looks like.
Well, keep in mind the photo is from the Vomero, a highly cushioned shoe that exacerbated the ankle collapse.  I believe the PT recommended a minimalist shoe so the distance would be lessened.  Therefore, 'stack height' is important.

I imagine I scuff my left heel when I walk, not so much when I run, but there is more wear on the left than the right.

nkrichards wrote:Boy those shoes did really wear in that one spot didn't they!  Are your current shoes that bad or just starting to show the same pattern of wear?  Is this something you can correct with exercise?  insoles?  different type shoes?

Nice job on that last run btw...  I'm with Mark.  Those low HR runs will really payoff for the distances you're now training for.
I do wear a store-bought insole, recommended by the PT in 2013.  I guess if I keep on doing some of the stretching and balance exercises for my ankles, that it might compensate some, but I think it's something I'll always have.

I think that walking 4 hours in the newer shoes just accelerated the wear.  Now, the shoes might be screwed for walking, but I'll give them a chance on running.  Hence using the quarters or dimes as a shim.

-30-

So yesterday, I ran the same 5 mile course that I ran on Friday.  It was 77 degrees with 97% humidity.  Yes, summer is here.  The comparison used for this run was, what would happen after two days rest (yesterday's run) versus Friday's run, the day after lifting weights.  On that day of lifting weights, it was mostly upper body.  The only leg weights executed was the abductor & adductor weights and 60 straight (mostly) leg lifts, while laying on a mat.  It was 72 degrees on Friday.

The gnome was set on 170 cadence.

5 miles, 1:11:17, 14:15 pace, 146 avg bpm, 159 max bpm during mile 5, 161 avg cadence, 0.70 m avg stride length
1.  14:14, 136 bpm, 168 spm, 67 sl
2.  13:57, 145 bpm, 169 spm, 68 sl
3.  14:20, 148 bpm, 163 spm, 69 sl
4.  14:20, 149 bom, 153 spm, 73 sl
5.  14:25, 151 bpm, 151 spm, 74 sl

And here is Friday's run:
5 miles, 1:16:08, 15:13 pace, 139 avg bpm, 152 max bpm during mile 1, 151 avg cadence, 0.70 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 15:05, 2nd half pace 15:21.
1.  14:35, 140 bpm, 164 spm, 67 sl
2.  15:01, 140 bpm, 148 spm, 72 sl
3.  15:39, 138 bpm, 145 spm, 71 sl
4.  15:31, 139 bpm, 149 spm, 70 sl
5.  15:18, 139 bpm, 149 spm, 70 sl

HR was up 5%, cadence was up 6.6%, pace was lowered 6.8% and temperature was up 6.9% between the two runs.
The two day rest was a factor.  For yesterday's run, I also kept the gnome chirping, which I believe kept me going quicker.  I firmly believe that as my endurance grows, the cadence will increase, too, without much change in heart rate, and a little faster pace.

And so it goes.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm

As side notes, I'm becoming more confident that the legs can handle longer distances, now.  Nothing double digit, but running up to Memorial Park and back is less than double digit in any of the varieties of distance I choose.

Final side note is that I think I've found a method of re-charging my Garmin, while I run.  There's a battery charger with a USB port that can be wrapped to a forearm, for example, and with the charging wire from the Garmin, it can charge as I run.  I can't remember the brand, but it's about $30.

-30-

Hey, Mark.  When did people stop putting two spaces between the end of a sentence and the start of a new one?  I saw some story on which you commented on FB from the Post about the end of the 'period.'  I guess the comma has been an endangered species for a few years.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Yes, And so it goes.  Comparison of those runs shows some nice improvement.  I continue to be impressed with both the effort and the progress you've made increasing your cadence.  Me...not so much.

And the idea of charging your Garmin on the run is interesting to say the least.  I was concerned my battery might not survive my bike ride...it did...and I also had some backup data on my bike computer.  I would definitely want some sort of data during an ultra run and the charger may be a nice option if it's not to heavy or awkward.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:05 am

nkrichards wrote:Yes, And so it goes.  Comparison of those runs shows some nice improvement.  I continue to be impressed with both the effort and the progress you've made increasing your cadence.  Me...not so much.

And the idea of charging your Garmin on the run is interesting to say the least.  I was concerned my battery might not survive my bike ride...it did...and I also had some backup data on my bike computer.  I would definitely want some sort of data during an ultra run and the charger may be a nice option if it's not to heavy or awkward.
Thanks, Nancy.  I'll be pleased when the cadence stabilizes in the 160's, but I'm not ignorant to think that I'll be able to maintain 160's throughout a 50 mile run.  For the here and now, increasing cadence as I increase endurance over the summer is the goal, while staying injury-free.

-30-

Wednesday morning, I ran the 6.66 mile route to Memorial Park and back.  It's the longest run since March 13th.  78 degrees with 77 degrees as a dewpoint.  I was curious what a 1 day's rest would produce.  It's getting real easy to quickly assess how a run is going to go.  On this run, my cadence started slipping early, like last Friday's run, but I have the energy stores (and no niggles) to know that I'll be able to finish the distance.

The HR strap was not registering some numbers, so the 141 avg bpm is not accurate, but when it was registering, it was in the 140's for all but the last mile when it sneaked to 154 once.  It's safe to say the average was around 146.  It can't beat too hard, if you ain't going too fast.

6.73 miles, 1:40:06, 14:53 pace, 152 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length
1.  14:16, 166 spm, 68 sl
2.  14:32, 151 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:58, 149 spm, 72 sl
4.  14:52, 150 spm, 72 sl
5.  15:20, 148 spm, 71 sl
6.  15:14, 148 spm, 71 sl
7.  15:04 pace, 149 spm, 72 sl

I wore the blue Kinvaras (the ones with the excessive wear).  Prior to running, I taped two pennies (one Canadian and one Abe) to the top of the left sole on the medial side as a shim.  I had no issues, even now.

I wear a sweatband on my noggin because there's nothing up there to keep sweat from getting in my eyes.  One method of knowing how hot it is on a run is how many times I squeeze out the sweatband on run.  I squeezed it 3 times, starting a mile 4.  However my shorts were not dripping, my shoes were not squishy (usually in August), and my socks weren't leaving deep foot prints after removing my shoes.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:39 am

ounce wrote:As side notes, I'm becoming more confident that the legs can handle longer distances, now.  Nothing double digit, but running up to Memorial Park and back is less than double digit in any of the varieties of distance I choose.

Final side note is that I think I've found a method of re-charging my Garmin, while I run.  There's a battery charger with a USB port that can be wrapped to a forearm, for example, and with the charging wire from the Garmin, it can charge as I run.  I can't remember the brand, but it's about $30.

-30-

Hey, Mark.  When did people stop putting two spaces between the end of a sentence and the start of a new one?  I saw some story on which you commented on FB from the Post about the end of the 'period.'  I guess the comma has been an endangered species for a few years.

Woot! Great news on the run. And if you're looking for battery sticks, go to Amazon.com and search for the Jackery brand. You can probably get them for a lot less than $30.

As to spaces after periods: I hate to tell you this, but the need to hit the space bar twice after a period pretty much ended with the invention of the IBM Selectric. The double-space was necessary before then because of the fixed-pitch typewriters of the time. By fixed pitch, I mean that every character and space was given exactly the same amount of space. It led to some funky looking type, and the double-space was used to make a more obvious break between sentences.

The technology of the IBM Selectric (and everything that followed) changed all that. The sophisticated nature of H&J protocols (hyphenation and justification) with the advent of desktop publishing made the double space not just unnecessary but ridiculous looking to folks who care about typography. But habits die hard. I often have to run a search-and-replace on submissions to the newspaper -- and columns written by my Baby Boomer boss -- to fix the problem.

As for commas, well... that's an entirely different topic. I'm known as a Comma Nazi* at work. Not only do I believe that commas are vital elements of punctuation that allow thoughts to be conveyed in the clearest, most elegant manner possible, I believe that misusing them is a crime. Or, to be more accurate, NOT using them when needed. It makes me crazy. Not as much as, throwing, them, in, randomly, for, no, discernible, reason mind you. (Aiee!)

*-True typography purists may scoff at that. Associate Press style requires that we do not use the "Oxford Comma" in news articles  when writing about a series of things. For example, we'd say, "forecasters expect wind, rain and lightning at the race," while Oxford comma purists (mostly academics) would say, "forecasters expect wind, rain, and lightning at the race." It causes problems when journalists write for academia, and it also causes problems when someone with lots of time in academia and little time in J-school start writing for the paper.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:47 am

Well, then I'm an Oxford comma purist, too.  Probably one of the funnest classes that I had in high school was grammar, mostly because I wanted to take it in my last semester (and it should be an easy 'A.'  My mom was a stickler on grammar, so I wanted to learn some to keep down getting corrected, as I went off to life after high school.  That was 1975.

The 1972 Beginning Typing class, with Selectrics, so there's the culprit on the two space.[space][space]I might change, but it'll be hard.

Thanks for the tip on the Jackery, I'll look it up.[space][space]Thanks, Mark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:25 am

ounce wrote:Well, then I'm an Oxford comma purist, too.  Probably one of the funnest classes that I had in high school was grammar, mostly because I wanted to take it in my last semester (and it should be an easy 'A.'  My mom was a stickler on grammar, so I wanted to learn some to keep down getting corrected, as I went off to life after high school.  That was 1975.

The 1972 Beginning Typing class, with Selectrics, so there's the culprit on the two space.[space][space]I might change, but it'll be hard.

Ha! No worries, Ounce.

It's a generational giveaway. Sort of like an A[space][space]A[space][space]R[space][space]P card. StirPot

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, then I'm an Oxford comma purist, too.  Probably one of the funnest classes that I had in high school was grammar, mostly because I wanted to take it in my last semester (and it should be an easy 'A.'  My mom was a stickler on grammar, so I wanted to learn some to keep down getting corrected, as I went off to life after high school.  That was 1975.

Ha! No worries, Ounce.

It's a generational giveaway. Sort of like an A[space][space]A[space][space]R[space][space]P card. StirPot
Well, sonny boy, I can get them to send you an application.  Depending on the age of the person selling me a movie ticket, I sometimes get the Senior price, which I'm fine with.  Next year, a lot of discounts start kicking in.

Separately, we got up to 97 degrees and we're under a Heat Advisory.  Heck, half of the state has one.  The west half doesn't because the humidity is so low.  Sweaty Good thing that we're +20" for the year on rain.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 16 Image2
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Mark B wrote:

Ha! No worries, Ounce.

Guess I'm in that generation as well as I remember learning to type on a Selectric and learning the Oxford comma rules as well.  But I was a math/science student and grammer wasn't my strong suit so I've forgotten most of what I learned back then.  I remember just enough to get confused...

Stay safe in the heat and humidity!  Might be a good time to cut down on distances or do some indoor cross training.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:06 pm

I have 11.73 miles for the week, so I figured doing just 3 miles would be a fitting bookend for this week's running.  I purposely did not go lift weights this week as an experiment on how much more vim and vigor I had reserved for running.  It would seem that only my best run was on Monday, after a 2 day rest weekend.  I'm sure the heat 'n humidity plays a roll, or maybe all of it.  It would be rather nice to know that lifting weights do not materially affect the running.  Then, I could do both as effectively as I could.

Have I mentioned that it's plain hot, now?  97 degrees yesterday.  Why it seems like just last week that we hit our first 90.  Wait...it WAS just last week.  In the summertime, there's not enough dark (10 hours) to let the heat escape.  So, it's 80 degrees at midnight.  Even if there were clear skies for radiational cooling, humid skies impair effective radiational cooling.  We do have a 50% chance of rain for Sunday, due to the High pressure sliding to El Paso.

This was a 3 mile run with a target cadence of 170 with 77 degrees and 100% humidity (77 dewpoint, that means).  The satellite was off and measured 3.14 miles.  I'll have to estimate mile one or something.

3 miles, 42:29, 13:32 pace, 141 avg bpm (good number), 153 max bpm during mile 3, 158 avg spm, 0.75 m avg stride length.
1.  13:38 est, 122 bpm, 166 spm, 78 sl
2.  14:10 est, 147 bpm, 158 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:41 est, 149 bpm, 151 spm, 76 sl

My cadence held up real well on the first mile, then started to slide.  I guess I just need to clock the miles and keep going.  I think knowing that I was only doing 3, I was able to hold less back.  Going is going.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:09 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Ha! No worries, Ounce.

Guess I'm in that generation as well as I remember learning to type on a Selectric and learning the Oxford comma rules as well.  But I was a math/science student and grammer wasn't my strong suit so I've forgotten most of what I learned back then.  I remember just enough to get confused...

Stay safe in the heat and humidity!  Might be a good time to cut down on distances or do some indoor cross training.
I'll be careful, Nancy.  The biggest things I can do is to drink at least 3 quarts of water to up to a gallon each day and consume between 1/4 tsp and a 1/2 tsp a day in salt.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 41 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum