365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Go down

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 28 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:53 am

ounce wrote:Well, it was 62 this morning and I messed up and wore a short sleeved shirt instead of a singlet.  I ran 2 miles.  I have to find the focus again.  I was counting on a less than 6 hour marathon to be the foundation for the 50 mile in April.  I don't have that now, so I'm wondering if for me 13 weeks is enough time to train for a 50 mile on April 8.  The weather will be getting warmer in March, usually.  I wouldn't be surprised if a high of 80 for the 50 mile race would occur.

Stay warm cool today and enjoy the holidays.  Hope the New Year finds you with renewed focus and enthusiasm.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:23 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, it was 62 this morning and I messed up and wore a short sleeved shirt instead of a singlet.  I ran 2 miles.  I have to find the focus again.  I was counting on a less than 6 hour marathon to be the foundation for the 50 mile in April.  I don't have that now, so I'm wondering if for me 13 weeks is enough time to train for a 50 mile on April 8.  The weather will be getting warmer in March, usually.  I wouldn't be surprised if a high of 80 for the 50 mile race would occur.

Stay warm cool today and enjoy the holidays.  Hope the New Year finds you with renewed focus and enthusiasm.
We'll just wait and see.

Yesterday, I ran 6.66 miles in 71 degree weather with a nice breeze that kept the 'feel' cooler.  The run went well, for the most part.  There was no emphasis on speed and I wasn't disappointed. Rolling Eyes

The left knee was cantankerous for the rest of the day.  This morning, I was going to run again.  While the left knee had settled down after the overnight period, it wasn't wanting to do it again, even after getting dressed for running.

I guess I'm just going to have to run when it wants to run.  I'll work on running on Thursday at Brazos Bend.

Y'all have a good New Year's.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Today, I went over to our chain sports and outdoors store and purchased an elastic knee brace.  Not one of these copper threaded things, just the cheapest, simple, low packaging required elastic knee brace.  It cost $10, more than I wanted to spend but cheaper than the prettier ones that start at $25 up to $45.

I bought it because sometimes below my knee, it feels like a loose table leg.  I'd like to think it will assist in limiting the caddy wompus nature of my knee and maybe help that left, medial part of my knee that has been a booger since May.

My only concern about its function is whether it's going to slide down my leg and/or cause blister(s).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:38 pm

A patellar strap light that might help if that's the problem with your knee. Hope it works. It's been on the fritz for too long now.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Mark B wrote:A patellar strap light that might help if that's the problem with your knee. Hope it works. It's been on the fritz for too long now.

+1  Hope it helps...as Mark said it's been troubling you for too long.  No wonder you're struggling to focus on training.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:A patellar strap light that might help if that's the problem with your knee. Hope it works. It's been on the fritz for too long now.

+1  Hope it helps...as Mark said it's been troubling you for too long.  No wonder you're struggling to focus on training.
Hmmm, I remember seeing those things, but only thought it was an ITB strap.  Guess I'll check it out, if the knee brace I bought has more bad points than good.

I'll be going to Brazos Bend in the morning to do some training and hopefully a decent distance.  A cold front is supposed to blow through in the morning, so our 5 days of 80's will come to an end.  The front is tied to the Low that's going to sock it to the Northeast.  I'm sure Miche1e will long for those white-out conditions from the cozy confines of Hotlanta.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:17 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Hmmm, I remember seeing those things, but only thought it was an ITB strap.  Guess I'll check it out, if the knee brace I bought has more bad points than good.

I'll be going to Brazos Bend in the morning to do some training and hopefully a decent distance.  A cold front is supposed to blow through in the morning, so our 5 days of 80's will come to an end.  The front is tied to the Low that's going to sock it to the Northeast.  I'm sure Miche1e will long for those white-out conditions from the cozy confines of Hotlanta.

I could be wrong, but those below-the-knee straps are usually meant to stabilize the patella. That could actually help in your case, so I'd give it a shot and see if it helps.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around temperatures in the 80s this time of year outside of the tropics. I've been there and done that, but I was in SE Asia at the time. Not in the good old U.S.A.

We're looking at another cold snap next week, possibly down into the teens, just in time for everybody to go back to school. If we get many more snow days, they'll be extending the school year to July. (Summer doesn't really start around here until after July 4, anyway, but still.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:40 pm

I've had lots of 80 degree weather for Christmas...in Australia...but never the USA.  We've had a few afternoons above freezing here recently but it's pretty much been below freezing for several days.  Lot's of below zero predictions for next week!

I'm glad I don't have to train in your heat and humidity Doug...but something in between 80 and -2 would be nice.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:01 pm

nkrichards wrote:I've had lots of 80 degree weather for Christmas...in Australia...but never the USA.  We've had a few afternoons above freezing here recently but it's pretty much been below freezing for several days.  Lot's of below zero predictions for next week!

I'm glad I don't have to train in your heat and humidity Doug...but something in between 80 and -2 would be nice.
I could handle 80 degrees year 'round.  Even though it'd be warm in the winter, it would be very tolerable from May to September.

-30-

The front blew through at 6:22, this morning.  I was walking to the car to head out to Brazos Bend, when it happened.  An error on my part, this is a Pacific front (instead of Arctic), so the biting chill I expected didn't materialize.  However, it did make the dewpoint fall from 61 degrees before the front to 32 degrees now with the same ambient temperature along with a little or a LOT of north breeze.  The sun is out and we have high clouds from the Pacific Jet Stream.

I dressed with a long sleeve and a short sleeve shirt, but could've gotten by with a short sleeve.  I ended up chugging 9.5 miles and walking 3 miles.  I've now covered 95% of the loop that makes up the 3 loop, 50 mile course in my travels of Brazos Bend.

The left knee did well for the most part, with the knee brace in place.  Aside from the medial side of the left knee whining or barking over the past few months, the normal forward stride I have doesn't usually exacerbate my leg when I run.  The brace really earns its keep after a run by keeping the tired leg and knee from being too wobbly.  

I wore the Altras. 

Walking didn't agree much with my right, lateral heel bone, causing whining with every stride.  I was noticing around mile 10-11 where my hip joint was starting to notice what I was doing.  "Oh, man, haven't you gone far enough YET?"  I can just imagine the volume of protestations at 20, 25, 30, 40, 49, and 50 miles.  I read that for Ultras, your mind has to become impervious to it and just tells the body to STFU.  That's what I did.

Here are some stats on Houston and December heat.  Looks like we won't break the 2012 record of most 80 degree days in December.
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 28 Image7
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:05 am

Follow up.  Yesterday evening, I walked on the kitchen floor and noticed that I was taller on my right side than my left.  Not much, but just a little.  Feeling the right heel and foot, I deduced that the bottom of my right heel and the sides were swollen.  Not like the ankle bone area being swollen from excessive different foot movements, but it hurt.  I couldn't walk without leaning on something, but if I stood for at least 10 seconds, then the walking was easier.

30 minutes of ice with a TENS unit and I was hoping for a short period of inflammation.  Also took a Meloxicam at bedtime.

This morning, it was MUCH better. By mid-morning, there was just a bit of discomfort at ground zero.  Ground zero is the average location of a heel striking runner. 

I was wondering if the zero drop Altras might be part of the problem.  Or maybe I shouldn't walk in Altras.  The Brazos Bend course is flat.  It's probably as flat as the Chicago marathon course, certainly flatter than the Houston course.  So, I don't really need the lugs on the Altras for traction.  The Saucony trail version of the Kinvara, the Peregrine, would be just fine for the traction needed.  Gaiters would be nice, even though I didn't pick up much dirt.

So, I didn't run this morning.  Surprise!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:31 am

Could it just be the distance you ran/walked?  That's a pretty long run for where you're at in training.  Good idea to look at shoes etc and make sure they aren't a contributing factor though.

Are you planning a final 2016 run today?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:12 pm

I'm wondering if zero drops are maybe a bad idea for you. They're best for a midfoot strike, not a consistent heel strike. And their midsole material tends to break down if you have a consistent contact point rather than an even distribution of impact. That may be the reason for the heel pain.

I think you'd be better off with a shoe that has more of a heel-to-toe offset. The Saucony Perigrine could be a good choice. Just don't go all crazy and get a Hoka... unless you think they'd work for you.

Hope you have a happy new year!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:20 am

nkrichards wrote:Could it just be the distance you ran/walked?  That's a pretty long run for where you're at in training.  Good idea to look at shoes etc and make sure they aren't a contributing factor though.

Are you planning a final 2016 run today?
Well, it's sort of longer but not a whole lot longer.  I wasn't running today and won't until Tuesday.

Hope you have a better 2017, Nancy.
Mark B wrote:I'm wondering if zero drops are maybe a bad idea for you. They're best for a midfoot strike, not a consistent heel strike. And their midsole material tends to break down if you have a consistent contact point rather than an even distribution of impact. That may be the reason for the heel pain.

I think you'd be better off with a shoe that has more of a heel-to-toe offset. The Saucony Perigrine could be a good choice. Just don't go all crazy and get a Hoka... unless you think they'd work for you.

Hope you have a happy new year!
Oh.  Hmmm, so I wouldn't want to wear those when walking in a race.  M'kay. 

Nah, the Hokas would be going back to high 'n fluffy, rather than low 'n fluffy.  The Altras fit the low 'n fluffy, but I know that as I get a little tired, I'll go from mid-foot strike to heel strike.

Amazon still has a pair of Peregrine 4's (current model is a 7).

The heel is still a bit bruised at ground zero, but less than Friday.  Thanks, y'all.

Y'all enjoy the new year, as I'll be asleep in a few minutes.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:23 pm

It was announced yesterday that Galen Rupp is going to run the Half in Houston on January 15.  Ryan Hall set the American record in 2007 (59:48), here.  2016 Olympic marathon silver medalist Feyisa Lilesa of Ethiopia will also be running the Half and has the course record of 59:22.

Bronze medalist Mare Dibaba will lead the women's field in the Half.  A total of 13 Rio Olympians have signed up for the Half.

I think the current Half course is flatter than the 2007 course, plus there's not a U-turn as there was in 2007. 

Right now, weather for the race is to estimated to be 60 degrees, +/- 5 degrees, with high humidity at 7 a.m.  Interpreting the model data, there's not much hope for any highs in the 50's after this weekend for the next 10 days.  Glad I'm not running it.

Last edited by ounce on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 pm

And to recap the major weather events in Houston for 2016, as written by one of the local meteorologists:

April 17-18: One of the worst flooding events since Tropical Storm Allison impacts portions of NW Harris County and Waller County after 15-22 inches of rainfall in 12 hours. Over 9,800 homes flooded in Harris County alone with record water levels established on portions of Cypress Creek, Little Cypress Creek, Langham Creek, and Bear Creek. A total of 240 billion gallons of water fell on Harris County in 12 hours. Record pool levels established on both Addicks and Barker Reservoirs (Addicks exceeded the previous record in March of 1992 by nearly 5 ft). High reservoir pools resulted in the closing of HWY 6 and other major roadways for weeks. NOAA estimates that the “Tax Day” flood resulted in over 1 billion dollars in damage to Harris and the surrounding counties. An estimated 40,000 vehicles were flooded along with 9 fatalities across the region.

May 26-27
: Just six weeks after the “Tax Day” flood, another significant flash flood event impacted SE TX. 16.24 inches of rainfall was recorded at Brenham in less than 12 hours with widespread 10-15 inches over Waller, Washington, and portions of Montgomery and NW Harris Counties. 12 inches of rain was recorded in portions of Washington County in 3-hrs. Massive flooding resulted along Spring Creek and the San Jacinto River. Spring Creek and the West Fork of the San Jacinto River recorded their 2nd highest crests on record (October 1994 still is the highest). Over 1,000 homes were flooded in both Harris and Montgomery Counties…some of which had flooded 6 weeks before.

The rainfall over Washington County fell primarily in the Brazos River watershed resulting in modern day historic flooding in Waller, Austin, Fort Bend, and Brazoria Counties. The Brazos River at US 290 reached its second highest crest on record dating back to the record 1913 flood. The crest at Richmond of 54.80 ft on 6/1 was the highest modern day crest recorded…surpassing the floods of October 1994 and Christmas 1991 by over 4.0 ft. Massive inundation of the floodplain resulted in over 1,200 homes flooded in Fort Bend County alone and hundreds more in Waller, Austin, and Brazoria Counties. Portions of Brazoria County remained inundated until early July.

BUSH IAH ended 2016 with 60.96 inches of rainfall or +11.19 above normal.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:11 pm

That's some serious weather this past year. Wasn't it that long ago that the whole place was tinder dry after years of drought?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Mark B wrote:That's some serious weather this past year. Wasn't it that long ago that the whole place was tinder dry after years of drought?

No Alzheimer's for you!  Yes, 2011 was the bad year where it rained 13" for the whole year in Houston and the whole state was worse than California was in late 2014.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 28 20111004_tx_trd

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 28 20170103_tx_trd
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 28 20141028_ca_trd
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:45 pm

That's what I thought. And California is looking a lot better right now, too. Hopefully the rain and snow will keep on coming...though not enough to cause the state to slough off into the ocean.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:22 am

Mark B wrote:That's what I thought. And California is looking a lot better right now, too. Hopefully the rain and snow will keep on coming...though not enough to cause the state to slough off into the ocean.
Looking at an image of what average annual rain in California is, Houston, the Sierras, & Marin county are equal. 

As far as droughts go, Washington is completely clean and the eastern third of Oregon is #3 (tan color) stage of 5.  Below is California, now.  Those 3 or 4 counties in far NW California has an average of 100"+, so for them to be drought free is quite something.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 28 20170103_ca_none
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22 am

Last I heard our snowpack was at 133% of average.  It's a good start and looks like it will improve over the next few days.  We've got some ground water and reservoirs that need to be replenished and we're sharing with the frog now.  It is encouraging though.  It's kind of funny...this winter weather is more typical of the weather the first few years we lived in Central Oregon but there are enough newcomers...and poor memories...that people just aren't prepared.

Sounds like we're not the only ones dealing with cold temps...stay warm and safe down there!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:58 pm

We're back to the 70's.  rumor has it the last Low pressure system comes ashore Wednesday moseying it's way south, then around Texas for another wet weekend here.

Will all the frogs freeze?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Too much snow in Colorado as some the ski areas had to close and Jackson Hole shut down for the first time ever.  Wow, we had ice last weekend but it is now close to 60F.  Glad I'm not running in Houston too as the predicted weather is just too hot right now.  I know that Rupp handled it well at the trials and in Rio so I'm guessing he will be fine.  Will he break the record?  Your guess is as good as mine.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 am

SI writer Chris Chavez (@ChrisChavez) just reported on Twitter that Galen Rupp is out for Sunday: "Galen Rupp has withdrawn from the Houston Half Marathon due to plantar fasciitis in his foot."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:07 pm

ounce wrote:SI writer Chris Chavez (@ChrisChavez) just reported on Twitter that Galen Rupp is out for Sunday: "Galen Rupp has withdrawn from the Houston Half Marathon due to plantar fasciitis in his foot."

Crying or Very sad That's to bad.  I guess we're all human.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:07 am

Too bad about Rupp. PF is a bear.

Having a hard time imagining the 70s right now for those of us stationed at Ice Station Zebra. The frogs around here must be hard as rocks right now.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum