365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

California here we come... - Page 5 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  ounce Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Mark B wrote:You aren't a farm boy, are you, Ounce? Rocks grow by themselves.
Nope.  They grow by themselves?  Pebbles is a character on The Flintstones.  I figured if she's paying people to pick rocks, she'd pay people to plant the rock seed.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:00 am

Mark B wrote:Good grief! A dog bite! Glad it only got your heel, and that you talked with the deputy about it. Might help (or not), but at least they've been warned.

One suggestion from a cyclist friend of mine: Carry a plastic bag with handful of cut-up pepperoni treats in it. When the dog comes after you, toss the treats. The next time, it'll approach with its tail wagging. (Well, it worked for her..)
Yeah, that's not something I ever think about.  If not pepperoni, something that really smells because dogs lead with their noses.

Nice job on something novel, Nancy.  The rest of us just have something internal break.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:04 pm

I'd have every dog in the county chasing me down the road if I started offering pepperoni!  The officer suggested pepper spray but this dog came up from behind so quickly I didn't even realize it was coming and had not time to react at all.  On the bright side it wasn't there yesterday.  I'm hoping it was just visiting.

Monday - Swim 2150 yds
            - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool

Tuesday - Up at 3:00 am to bale.  When we finished at 10:00 it was hot and a nap was the preferred training event for the day!

Wednesday - 5 mi @ 10:15 including 4 x 800 avg 4:28 (@8:56) HR 131/150  Up early to run before it got hot.  Struggled to get going but once I did the run went well.
                 - Swim 2050 yds.
                 - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool  I kept the bike and swim pretty easy...as you can see I completed a triathlon today!!

Thursday - 8 mi w/6 @ 9:56 (MP?) HR 139/160  Pretty pooped after yesterday and not much pop in the legs.  I went out with the idea that I would cut this run short and/or slow down if necessary.  Once I got going it went pretty well!

Off to the pool in a bit but I've opted to drive today.  My legs need a rest.  Looking forward to slightly cooler weather after today.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:22 pm

Well, the cop probably knows best.

So what is the manner of training that you're doing?  Are you supposed to touch each activity a couple of times a week?  Is what you're doing a 'brick.'  Or work on your worst part more often?

A mid-week tri.  Well, I guess that's what is to happen in tri training.  Keep trying to tri train!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:42 pm

ounce wrote:Well, the cop probably knows best.

So what is the manner of training that you're doing?  Are you supposed to touch each activity a couple of times a week?  Is what you're doing a 'brick.'  Or work on your worst part more often?

A mid-week tri.  Well, I guess that's what is to happen in tri training.  Keep trying to tri train!
 Good questions Doug.  I'm actually just doing my normal 3 days a week of running training.  I've always used swimming and biking for cross training.  It's just that with the coached masters swim that is offered now I'm swimming more...and enjoying it.  The century bike ride earlier this year was just a distraction to keep me from running to much to quickly.  I didn't get hooked on biking.  That said I do the local MacDash (pool based sprint triathlon).  It's the most popular event in the community.  I'm trying to concentrate on marathon training now so may have to scale back a bit on the swimming to make sure I don't overdo it.  Once the marathon is done I'll have to decide what I want to do next.

Thanks for asking...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Wow has life been busy!  3rd cutting hay and getting ready to plant bluegrass, carrots, and more alfalfa...  Everyone has been very good to at least try and give me some time to run.

Friday - Swim 2200 yds.  I did drive to the pool to give my legs a rest and what did we do...vertical kicking!!  I just didn't push to hard.

Saturday - Farming and Fair.  We always buy at the 4-H/FFA auction and the two oldest girls are old enough to participate.

Sunday - 40th wedding anniversary   So here's how we celebrated.
            - 10 mi @ 10:36 HR 136/154  I did this solo Very Happy   I had 12 mi on the schedule but was short time so cut it back to 10.
            - Farm work for the rest of the day and then we drove to Timberline Lodge.  Arrived in time for a light dinner in the bar.  Then we hiked to Silcox Hut...only a mile but 900' elevation on a soft trail.  Dessert and tea before bed.  Breakfast the next morning before we headed back to the farm.  The kids stepped up and took care of the farm while we were gone.  They broke everything!!  Not their fault but don't think I'll be talking Marty into an anniversary trip during harvest again anytime soon.

Monday - Farming

Tuesday - 8.25 w/8 mi @ 10:18 including 12x400  Avg 2:11(8:43)  HR 133/153  Happy with those splits as I'm doing them on rolling hills not on the track...

Wednesday - Swim 2450 yds

Thursday - 9.25 mi w/7 @ 9:53 (MP) HR 140/159  Wasn't sure I was going to be able to pull this run off.  I wasn't feeling the greatest and my legs are struggling to recover.  Went pretty well once I got warmed up and got going.  Last couple miles were the fastest...

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Nancy,
Every time I feel sorry for myself working 10 hour days, in an air-conditioned office, 2.4 miles from my house that I drive a nice car to, I need to consider what you are doing.  WAY impressive!  I can barely find time for a few short runs each week right now but your biking & swimming on top of everything else is truly inspirational.  Nice job  cheers
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Happy 40th Anniversary! A nice dinner at Timberline Lodge and a hike up the mountain to Silcox Hut sounds like a great way to celebrate -- even if the kids did wreck the place while you were gone! (So they don't get past that stage after they're teenagers? Yipes!)

Good job on staying disciplined and getting out there almost every day of the week. Glad the weather cooled down a little. That's got to help.

I didn't realize you planted this late in the season. How far can you stretch it until the first frost?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Tim C wrote:Nancy,
Every time I feel sorry for myself working 10 hour days, in an air-conditioned office, 2.4 miles from my house that I drive a nice car to, I need to consider what you are doing.  WAY impressive!  I can barely find time for a few short runs each week right now but your biking & swimming on top of everything else is truly inspirational.  Nice job  cheers

Mark B wrote:Happy 40th Anniversary! A nice dinner at Timberline Lodge and a hike up the mountain to Silcox Hut sounds like a great way to celebrate -- even if the kids did wreck the place while you were gone! (So they don't get past that stage after they're teenagers? Yipes!)

Good job on staying disciplined and getting out there almost every day of the week. Glad the weather cooled down a little. That's got to help.

I didn't realize you planted this late in the season. How far can you stretch it until the first frost?
Very quick update...my bags are packed and I'm headed to Glacier NP with my oldest granddaughter, Emma, later today.

Tim...not sure I deserve your praises.  Yes, sometimes farming gets in the way but other times I've got more flexibility than those of you who have set hours at work.  The biking and swimming work great for cross training.  Biking develops leg strength and cadence and I can ride when it's warm.  Swimming is great for cardio work without stressing my legs.

Mark...We're planting bluegrass seed and carrot seed for harvest next summer/fall.  The plants have to go through a winter or they don't make seed.

OK...I'm off for a week.  I've been told we'll have very limited cell service and wifi so plan to set a good example for Emma and leave the phone off as much as possible.  I also plan to leave my running gear home.  I may have overdone it a bit last Saturday and I got caught out on a long run in the heat.  I was not so gently reminded that I am not 100% and I am taking beta blockers.  I had a bit of a scare but I'm fine now...just took a while to recover...nothing to serious.  We have a bit of hiking planned but this will be a week to rest and recover from some tough runs last week.  Details when I get back.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Have a great trip! Would love to see Glacier NP someday.

Thanks for the explanation on the planting. I didn't think about crops that needed to overwinter.

Watch out for that hot sun when running. It can really do a number on you. Glad you escaped unscathed.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:23 pm

Have a blast and don't fall down!  We won't cause any trouble! Approval lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:17 pm

My ONLY granddaughter is named Emma so I guess she's my oldest as well...

Enjoy
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Congrats on the 40th and have fun in GNP!  I loved it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:02 pm

We had a fantastic trip.  It's going to take me a couple days to catch up on my work at home and also here.  Here's a quick update from me and I'll take a look at your news as time allows.  Oh...thanks for the comments here...much appreciated.

So...

Friday 8/5 - Bike 18.3 mi @ 14.7 Cad 71  No swimming so I took the opportunity to get in a bit longer but easy bike ride.

Saturday 8/6 - 15 mi @ 10:53  HR 139/161 This was the long run where I sped up a bit to early and the heat got to me.  A bit scary but no long term damage...a lesson well learned.

Sunday 8/7 - Rest day

Monday 8/8 - Swim 1250 yds.  No coach or swim partners so I made it a short swim but snuck in a timed 500 @ 9:47  Nice!
                  - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.

Tuesday 8/9 - 8 mi w/6 @ 9:44 HR 141/157  MP run that went very well mostly because I got out early when it was still cool and also I had to cut the distance down a bit so I would be ready to head to the train.
                   - Drove to Portland and boarded the train at 5:00pm

Wednesday 8/10 - Arrived in East Glacier at 10:00am and picked up the rental car.  Drove over Going to the Sun Road.  Logan Pass was rainy and cloudy so we missed the views but both ends of the road were fine.  Stayed in Apgar Village.

Thursday 8/11 - Up early to get ready for our rafting trip.  We rafted about 18 miles on the Middle Fork of the Flathead River before pulling over and setting up camp.  The family rafting with us was...interesting but fun.  Our guides were great.

Friday 8/12 - Woke up to thick fog so no one was in a big hurry to get going but breakfast was delicious and eventually we packed up for the last 8-10 miles.  The biggest and best rapids were in the last 5 miles or so...after lunch.  Emma was one of the lead paddlers and thoroughly enjoyed both the rafting and the camping.  We were the only two soles brave enough to go for a quick swim in the glacial melt.  Overnight at Lake McDonald Lodge.

Saturday 8/13 - Horseback ride to Sperry Chalet.  6.5 miles with 3300' elevation gain.  The horse ride was Emma's idea and she enjoyed it.  The Chalet was absolutely fantastic.  It's been on my wish list for years.  We were lucky to get reservations!  We spent the afternoon eating soup...and pie...and taking photos of the mountain goats. 

Sunday 8/14 - We joined a seminar that included a hike to Sperry Glacier 3.5 miles with 1500' elevation(one way).  Emma wasn't so sure about this hiking thing but she did great and enjoyed it immensely.  More wildlife, wildflowers and absolutely awesome views.  Overnight at the chalet again.

Monday 8/15 - We spent some time hiking around looking for Pika and checking out their homes in the rocks.  Fascinating.  We finally packed up and headed back down the trail that we rode the horses up on Saturday.  More wildlife and berries to distract us on the way.  We finished the day with Huckleberry ice cream and a swim in Lake McDonald before locating a shower and packing for a late flight home.  Emma was a great traveler and we both thoroughly enjoyed the trip!!

Tuesday 8/16 - 5 mi @ 11:29 HR 121/139  I was itching to run but I was tired and had some aches and pains from the paddling and the hiking.  Kept this run very easy.  I was quite proud of my HR!

Wednesday 8/17 - Swim 2200 yds.  Took me quite some time to warm up.  I was stiff and sore.  Swam well once I got going.

Thursday 8/18 - 10mi w/8 @ 10:06 HR 146/167  This was supposed to be a MP (10:00) run.  I was still pretty tired and my legs are not yet recovered.  Plus it was already getting warm.  I slowed it down and ran cautiously.  I circled by the house and took a brief hydration break (stopped the watch for about 60 seconds) in the middle...I know that's cheating but I was more concerned about finishing the run safely.  Mission accomplished.  My second half was slightly faster than the first half and I finished feeling well.  In some ways it's discouraging to have to run so slowly but I know that I have to get through both the heat and the training healthy if I'm going to run a successful marathon in December.

So...that's my update.  I'll check out your news as time allows. 

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Sounds like a great trip! And huckleberries are a gift from above. So yummy.

Did you get a sleeper spot on the train or just sleep sitting up? I've always wondered what that'd be like.

Good running, too. Not surprised your HR was so solid when you got back. Even with the activity, the rest did you good.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Mark B wrote:Sounds like a great trip! And huckleberries are a gift from above. So yummy.

Did you get a sleeper spot on the train or just sleep sitting up? I've always wondered what that'd be like.

Good running, too. Not surprised your HR was so solid when you got back. Even with the activity, the rest did you good.
I agree with Mark on the running.  Your cardiologist would just love those figures and take all the credit for himself.  Then, you can bring him back to earth by wanting to reduce the beta blockers.  Laughing

I've always wanted to take a train trip in sleeper cars.  I had thought that from Chicago to either Seattle or Portland would be pretty and scenic.  Maybe one of these days.

I've never had huckleberries.  Welcome back!!  Now, get to work.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:52 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Sounds like a great trip! And huckleberries are a gift from above. So yummy.

I agree with Mark on the running.  Your cardiologist would just love those figures and take all the credit for himself.  Then, you can bring him back to earth by wanting to reduce the beta blockers.  Laughing

I've always wanted to take a train trip in sleeper cars.  I had thought that from Chicago to either Seattle or Portland would be pretty and scenic.  Maybe one of these days.

We did get a sleeper berth...the smallest one they offer.  I love train travel and have done a few trips with my Mom.  I wanted Emma to experience sleeping and dining on the train.  She enjoyed it but I think that one night was a good introduction without getting to boring.

Emma laughed because everywhere we went...restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, information centers, car rental agencies...sold bear spray and huckleberries.  We have a decent supply of huckleberries here so they weren't a new treat but they were still a treat.  I love them.  btw...we didn't bother with the bear spray.  We were usually with others on the trail but we did hear of a bear encounter not to far from Sperry Chalet.

Friday - Bike 18.28 mi @ 14.1 HR 113/139 Cad 72  Another low HR workout.  No swimming and I needed to get a longer bike ride in but my legs weren't recovered from my Thursday run.  I kept the pace slow and intensity pretty easy.

I'm definitely noticing the increase in mileage as I get closer to my marathon.  My legs aren't fully recovering between runs and I'm noticing that I need more sleep.  Only 15 weeks to go after this weekend.  I'm up to an 8 mi MP run and a 15 mi long run...I've got 16 on the schedule for tomorrow.  My goal as far as pace is to slow down by 45-60 seconds (from pre-cardiac event paces) and I seem to be handling that OK.

One thing that I am concerned about is the lack of core/strength work I've done the last few weeks.  I was really consistent till mid/late April and then got busy and tired and just wasn't motivated.  I'm not sure what the best option is.  I'm wondering with only 15 weeks left if I will benefit if I start back up now.  It will take 4-5 weeks to get back up to the full 45 minute workout after this much time off.  I guess even a shorter workout is better than nothing.  Thoughts?  Are there specific exercises that you think would give me the biggest bang for my buck.  Not sure I can find the time/energy to do 45 minutes 3 times a week but maybe 15-20 minutes would be better than nothing.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:15 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

We did get a sleeper berth...the smallest one they offer.  I love train travel and have done a few trips with my Mom.  I wanted Emma to experience sleeping and dining on the train.  She enjoyed it but I think that one night was a good introduction without getting to boring.

Emma laughed because everywhere we went...restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, information centers, car rental agencies...sold bear spray and huckleberries.  We have a decent supply of huckleberries here so they weren't a new treat but they were still a treat.  I love them.  btw...we didn't bother with the bear spray.  We were usually with others on the trail but we did hear of a bear encounter not to far from Sperry Chalet.

Friday - Bike 18.28 mi @ 14.1 HR 113/139 Cad 72  Another low HR workout.  No swimming and I needed to get a longer bike ride in but my legs weren't recovered from my Thursday run.  I kept the pace slow and intensity pretty easy.

I'm definitely noticing the increase in mileage as I get closer to my marathon.  My legs aren't fully recovering between runs and I'm noticing that I need more sleep.  Only 15 weeks to go after this weekend.  I'm up to an 8 mi MP run and a 15 mi long run...I've got 16 on the schedule for tomorrow.  My goal as far as pace is to slow down by 45-60 seconds (from pre-cardiac event paces) and I seem to be handling that OK.

One thing that I am concerned about is the lack of core/strength work I've done the last few weeks.  I was really consistent till mid/late April and then got busy and tired and just wasn't motivated.  I'm not sure what the best option is.  I'm wondering with only 15 weeks left if I will benefit if I start back up now.  It will take 4-5 weeks to get back up to the full 45 minute workout after this much time off.  I guess even a shorter workout is better than nothing.  Thoughts?  Are there specific exercises that you think would give me the biggest bang for my buck.  Not sure I can find the time/energy to do 45 minutes 3 times a week but maybe 15-20 minutes would be better than nothing.

Life goes on...
Regarding bears, knowing that you and Emma are faster than the slowest person in the group, you're in good shape running from a bear. 

From this perennial back of the packer, is 8 miles at MP too much with 15 weeks to go or what is the peak mileage at MP that you're doing?  Do you have any stepback weeks in the schedule?  Swimming can be core work, I would think.  I think core would be better than strength. 

Mark is the core king (in addition to barefoot king, maf king, wierd anatomy king), but I'll say for core...22 push ups, some planks, and leg lifts (lay on your back, lift left leg 20 times, then right leg 20 times x 4 with 60 second rest between each set.  When that becomes too easy, lift both legs 20 times x 4 with 60 second rest).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Life goes on...

When it comes to core work, anything is better than nothing. Just start now! Don't worry if you don't get up to a 45-minute workout. Whatever you do will help. Biggest bang for the buck exercises? I'd say side leg lifts and/or clamshells, bridges (two legs to start, then single leg if you can do it) and planks.

If you have huckleberries, who needs bear spray? Just tell Yogi and Booboo to go long and wing the berry basket the opposite direction from the way you're planning to run! Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:13 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Life goes on...

When it comes to core work, anything is better than nothing. Just start now! Don't worry if you don't get up to a  45-minute workout. Whatever you do will help. Biggest bang for the buck exercises?  I'd say side leg lifts and/or clamshells, bridges (two legs to start, then single leg if you can do it) and planks.

If you have huckleberries, who needs bear spray? Just tell Yogi and Booboo to go long and wing the berry basket the opposite direction from the way you're planning to run! Very Happy

Great minds think alike...outrunning the slowest person in the group rather than the bear and sharing berries were both discussed often.

Thanks for the core work suggestions...I agree that the basic core exercises will probably give me the most benefit at this point.  Now it's just a matter of finding the time and energy to do them!

Doug, I do have lots of step back weeks in my plan.  If I have time I'll post it in the next few days.

Saturday - 16 mi @ 10:57 HR 141/171  Similar conditions to my last long run...pretty warm.  I did slow down a bit but not a lot.  Run went much better this time.  I felt OK throughout and finished well.  I was pretty tired at the end and my legs were suffering but I didn't feel unwell like last time.  Progress I guess.

Sunday - I've been pretty exhausted.  Sleeping in wasn't an option but I did take it easy all day.  I haven't seen any of the Olympics but I was able to catch the men's marathon.  Nice!  I caught up on some reading and Marty even decided to relax for a few minutes so we watched a stupid movie for a couple hours. 

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Sounds like the trip was a lot of fun!  Lucky you!  

Mark and Doug are both right - every little bit of core work will help and it can be as simple as planks and pushups (and those pushups and planks can be on an exercise ball to start).  Aslo do some stretching, hamstring and quad strengthening and make sure to roll, roll, roll.   And when you feel tired, rest!  I learned that during my triathlon training.  Rest is often best.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sounds like the trip was a lot of fun!  Lucky you!  

Mark and Doug are both right - every little bit of core work will help and it can be as simple as planks and pushups (and those pushups and planks can be on an exercise ball to start).  Aslo do some stretching, hamstring and quad strengthening and make sure to roll, roll, roll.   And when you feel tired, rest!  I learned that during my triathlon training.  Rest is often best.

I decided I had better get in and do some core work before I posted again...there seems to be a consensus.  So...I did the full workout but I only did half the reps.  I don't want to be so sore I can't run tomorrow!  I'll get the roller out tonight.  I like to do that just before we head to bed.

I'm really struggling...mostly mentally...as I prepare for my marathon.  I'm hitting the paces on my runs without much trouble and my cross training is going great.  I can't figure out why I'm so tired unless it's just the medication.  Every once in a while I get an odd feeling and wonder if it's a symptom that I should mention.  I don't want to be paranoid but...I'm honestly not sure I'd recognize the symptoms that I had at Boston if I had them again. 

Monday - Swim 2300 yds.  Coach Tim commented that I was swimming well.  I guess that my Sunday of rest worked.

Tuesday - 6.75 mi including 6x800 Avg 4:25 (8:50) HR 138/163  I'm running these on rolling hills so I'm pretty happy with the average pace.  Goal pace is actually 9:00

Wednesday - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool
                 - Swim 2150 yds.  Coach Tim put us through a moderately tough workout and then asked us to swim a strong 500.  He said not to worry about time as much as figure out a pacing strategy and see if we could stick to it.  I'm not competitive at all but...  So my strategy was to make sure I didn't go out to fast and then try and keep the first 6 50's at just under :60.  Then the last 4 50's I'd try and swim successively faster.  Woohoo...I swam it perfectly.  My time at 300 was 5:51.  I paced the last 4 50's perfectly and finished fast with a time of 9:35!!!  To put that in perspective my PR when Tim started coaching us this winter was 9:54 from April of 2013.  I was pretty happy when I swam a 9:45 in March after just a couple months with Tim.  A 9:35 after a full workout is awesome!!!

Thursday - Core!!  Half the reps but it's a start.  I had a run on the schedule but the boys needed an extra hand this morning and they've been so good to work around my schedule that I couldn't say no.  We had hoped I'd be done early enough to run but it was already 9:00 and getting warm way to fast.  I'll run early tomorrow.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:54 pm

Don't forget you might be a little tired also due to all the farm work you've been doing...

Nice job on the core work! Just keep at it, and CIM will be a great race for you. Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Mark B wrote:Don't forget you might be a little tired also due to all the farm work you've been doing...

Nice job on the core work! Just keep at it, and CIM will be a great race for you. Approval

Yes, I know the farm work is a factor but I was working on the farm during all my previous marathon training.  What's puzzling is that I feel fine while I'm running/swimming/biking and my paces are in line with appropriate goals under the circumstances.  It's inactive times when I'm struggling...especially in the morning.  Some days I just wake up feeling totally exhausted.  Activity seems to be the best cure.  I'm sure it's the medication but I know Dr. B isn't inclined to make any changes yet and I'm not sure I want to mess with things until after the marathon anyway.  It's frustrating at times but I keep reminding myself that I'm able to do what I enjoy.

So...core work...I woke up this morning feeling OK but with slight muscle soreness...pretty much all over but especially my pecs (pushups) and glutes (mostly on the sides).  Pretty much what I expected.  I headed out for the run I missed yesterday.  I'm glad I waited as I was able to get started early before it got to warm.  Temps were around 50 at the start and maybe 60 by the time I finished.  I could tell I'd done the core work yesterday and started out fairly conservatively but it was a good run.

Friday - 11.5 w/9 @ 9:57  HR 140/157  (MP 9:55-10:00  I paced that well!)  First half was @ 10:04 and I finished well.
          - Swim 2400 yds.  Yes, today was a swim day.  I went with the intention of fulfilling my obligation to the group and taking it easy.  Coach Tim just laughed when I told him my plan.  No PRs but I swam well.  He said afterward that he can always count on me to under promise and over deliver.  It's that competitive thing...I can't help it.

Spent a few hours in the tractor after lunch.  I'm a bit stiff and sore but nothing unexpected.  I'll try to do a bit of stretching and rolling this evening.  I need to rake hay early in the morning but will try and make it a rest day.  I'll move my long run (18mi) to Sunday.

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 pm

You're conditioned to do the farm work, so keep at it.  If you have an inkling the meds are messing with your mornings, what about taking your meds at the other time of the day?  Take them at night, instead of morning (presuming it's a 1x a day med).

Or maybe get some city folk to have their fill of doing farm work.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next