365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

California here we come...

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:51 pm

ounce wrote:I agree with your reasoning.  You may want to find out from your cardiologist whether your diagnosis is in the mid-range of that diagnosis or lighter or heavier, e.g. if your diagnosis color is 'blue', then is that really a light blue, a dark blue or just blue.  THEN if you're light blue (meaning to a lesser degree), then you may be able to push a bit more because you're not as blue as somebody else).  

Also, you may want call the doc to tinker with the dosage to see if a smaller dose could be just as therapeutic for your diagnosis, especially since you've ridden 100 miles without an event and you'd like to do more.


I know some of the answers to your comments already.  I'm on a moderately low dose but there is the potential to half my dose at some point in the future.  Dr. B indicated that we would start a discussion on lowering the dose or stopping the beta blocker at my appointment next year (January/February).  But he did stress that we would start the conversation and left me thinking he wouldn't be willing to recommend I stop it at that time. 

And the dosage I am on is an extended release dosage which helps to even out the highs and lows during the day.  In addition I take my tablet at night now so the highest concentration is while sleeping and by morning it's leveled out at least a bit. 

I'm hesitant to push to hard to stop taking it as to a certain extent it's a bit of a security blanket.  It give me a bit of peace of mind and I'm sure Dr. B would not have released me to train for my century ride or my marathon if I insisted on doing it medication free.

I do think I may send Dr. B a message in the next few days.  I'd like to give him an update on my progress and ask him a couple questions as I move forward.  He's pretty good to respond quickly.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  ounce on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:59 am

Cardiology is so much more a known specialty on the organ than, say, neurology where the brain is such an unknown organ with a lot of hit and miss on treatment.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4704
Points : 12953
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Those are some impressive splits there, Nancy. Well done!

I wouldn't worry too much about the beta blocker issue right now. You're making terrific progress while on it. I bet Dr. B. will be conservative in tapering you off that mediation, so you can both judge the impact it has on you and your risk for other problems. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to Zero... though it won't be as soon as you'd like.

Still. Great splits, speedy!

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Mark B wrote:Those are some impressive splits there, Nancy. Well done!

I wouldn't worry too much about the beta blocker issue right now. You're making terrific progress while on it. I bet Dr. B. will be conservative in tapering you off that mediation, so you can both judge the impact it has on you and your risk for other problems. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to Zero... though it won't be as soon as you'd like.

Still. Great splits, speedy!

Last Saturday 11 mi @ 10:25 HR 138/164
1- 10:48 HR 126
2- 10:52 HR 140 There's that issue with warming up that I've mentioned before.  HR was up to 160 during this split.
3- 10:31 HR 131
4- 10:31 HR 134
5- 10:09 HR 135
6- 10:25 HR 137 Getting into the hilly section of the run
7- 10:46 HR 142
8- 10:29 HR 138
9- 10:43 HR 144 Last big hill...rest are just little rollers.
10-10:08 HR 146
11- 9:06 HR 152  I'd be happy with that pace doing mile intervals but at the end of an 11 mile run...woohoo!

In hindsight maybe a bit to speedy Mark.  I did a bit better this week.

**
Monday - Swim2400 yds
            - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool

Tuesday - Pilates
             - 6.25 mi w/6 @ 10:13 including 4x800 Avg 4:24 (8:47) HR 142/161

Wednesday - Tough day...nuff said.

Thursday - Pilates
              - Failed attempt at a LHR run followed by 7 mi w/6.5 @ 10:59 HR 143/176

Friday - Swim 2200 yds
          - Bike 12.4 mi to/from pool

Saturday - 12.15 mi  w/12 @ 11:23 HR 135/152  It was getting pretty warm by the time I finished raking hay and was able to start my run.  My goal was to slow down and try and keep my HR a bit lower.  Note:  The first 5 miles and the last 5 miles are the same loop.  I walked a bit at the end of mile 5 and beginning of mile 6 to hydrate with Nuun.  I walked again in mile 7 to hydrate a bit more and check in with family before starting the last loop.


  1. 11:02 HR 121
  2. 11:03 HR 132
  3. 10:59 HR 138
  4. 10:59 HR 140
  5. 11:24 HR 141
  6. 11:41 HR 140
  7. 13:00 HR 128
  8. 11:20 HR 133
  9. 11:23 HR 136
  10. 11:12 HR 136
  11. 11:10 HR 140
  12. 11:17 HR 144


I give myself at least a couple stars for effort but this definitely doesn't qualify as a LHR run.  I did manage to slow down and made sure I didn't speed up at the end.  In comparing this run with my run last week, and in comparing the first and the last 5 miles of this run, I do see some positive things...and lots of room for improvement.  I'm sure the HR was affected to some extent by the heat.

**
The next 2-3 weeks are going to be extremely busy on the farm.  Unusual weather has caused 2nd cutting alfalfa, grain hay, and bluegrass harvest to overlap.  It's going to be hot...good for harvest but I'm not acclimated.  I also expect to work long hours and get shorted on sleep.  I'll train whenever and however I can but the priority will be surviving and staying healthy...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Those splits may not be textbook Maffetone, but they still look pretty good to me!

I think with all the stresses of the season, and the race coming up, going all-in on something like Maffetone/Hadd is probably not a great idea. But I would try to use the general principles on your long runs and bike rides. That'd be a good start for you.

Good luck on harvest! We'll be in La Pine next week and soaking up that Central Oregon summer heat. At least it cools off at night!


_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:01 am

Mark B wrote:Those splits may not be textbook Maffetone, but they still look pretty good to me!

I think with all the stresses of the season, and the race coming up, going all-in on something like Maffetone/Hadd is probably not a great idea. But I would try to use the general principles on your long runs and bike rides. That'd be a good start for you.

Good luck on harvest! We'll be in La Pine next week and soaking up that Central Oregon summer heat. At least it cools off at night!


It's a start Mark but I have plenty of room for improvement!

Hope you're doing something fun in La Pine.  Not sure I can schedule lunch or anything definite but would you be interested in a quick stop to stretch your legs and a short farm tour?  The biggest problem for me is I don't know when I'll be busy...things change often.  Let me know when you'll be coming through Madras and if you're interested.  I'll PM my address and cell number.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:56 am

Well my exciting news is that I did get to meet Mark, Alita, and Alec last Friday! cheers  We had it set up for Tuesday but the swather I was driving broke down and I had to make a run for parts (7 hours roundtrip) so we rescheduled for Friday.  Fortunately Friday was a relatively normal day and I was able to take time to give them a quick tour of the farm. Fun to meet them in person. 

Since Friday things have just been wild around here.  I've been up and on the tractor by 3:00 or 4:00 every morning.  To top it off we have visitors.  I'm exhausted, haven't eaten well, haven't been able to run...and I'm headed off to a 10K in a few minutes.  My daughter, Katie offered to take over on the tractor for me so I could participate this morning.  Not thinking this is going to go very well.  It's a fun social event so hopefully I'll be able to treat it as such and not stress over my lack of running ability today.

Life goes on...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:42 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well my exciting news is that I did get to meet Mark, Alita, and Alec last Friday! cheers  We had it set up for Tuesday but the swather I was driving broke down and I had to make a run for parts (7 hours roundtrip) so we rescheduled for Friday.  Fortunately Friday was a relatively normal day and I was able to take time to give them a quick tour of the farm. Fun to meet them in person. 

Since Friday things have just been wild around here.  I've been up and on the tractor by 3:00 or 4:00 every morning.  To top it off we have visitors.  I'm exhausted, haven't eaten well, haven't been able to run...and I'm headed off to a 10K in a few minutes.  My daughter, Katie offered to take over on the tractor for me so I could participate this morning.  Not thinking this is going to go very well.  It's a fun social event so hopefully I'll be able to treat it as such and not stress over my lack of running ability today.

Life goes on...

Wow! Thanks for taking the time out of an insanely busy part of your year to take us around your farm! It was great meeting you, and it was interesting learning about your operation there. I still can't quite figure out how you'd have time to sleep this time of year, let alone train. Smile

Here's a photo Alita took as we were out by the mint.




_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Well my exciting news is that I did get to meet Mark, Alita, and Alec last Friday! cheers  We had it set up for Tuesday but the swather I was driving broke down and I had to make a run for parts (7 hours roundtrip) so we rescheduled for Friday.  Fortunately Friday was a relatively normal day and I was able to take time to give them a quick tour of the farm. Fun to meet them in person. 

Since Friday things have just been wild around here.  I've been up and on the tractor by 3:00 or 4:00 every morning.  To top it off we have visitors.  I'm exhausted, haven't eaten well, haven't been able to run...and I'm headed off to a 10K in a few minutes.  My daughter, Katie offered to take over on the tractor for me so I could participate this morning.  Not thinking this is going to go very well.  It's a fun social event so hopefully I'll be able to treat it as such and not stress over my lack of running ability today.

Life goes on...

Wow! Thanks for taking the time out of an insanely busy part of your year to take us around your farm! It was great meeting you, and it was interesting learning about your operation there. I still can't quite figure out how you'd have time to sleep this time of year, let alone train. Smile

Here's a photo Alita took as we were out by the mint.



I wish I'd had a bit more time but I'm glad you stopped in for at least a quick visit.  We seem to always be busy but this is a very hectic time of year and nothing ever seems to happen on schedule.  As far as sleeping goes...I don't always get enough but I manage.  As far as training goes...I'm not always able to stick to my schedule but I've learned to prioritize things and so I do OK.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:55 pm

Very brief update on my 10K on the 4th.  What a pleasant surprise!  I was very apprehensive.  I wasn't as well trained as I'd like and we were absolutely swamped on the farm so I was short sleep and short healthy meals.  I had hoped to make this my first actual competitive race since my cardiac event but convinced myself that was not a smart choice.  Started off pretty conservative...at least I thought I did...first glance at my GPS revealed sub 9 minute miles.  Oops.  But it felt OK so I cautiously continued and was able to keep my splits very even.  Didn't even slow during the last couple miles that have a slight incline.  I managed to finish in 53:51...only 9 seconds off my 2014 finish time.  GPS indicated a pace of 8:47.  At my peak in 2012 and 2013 I finished in 50:xx but that was a very different time in my life.

This is an awesome community event that memorializes a young man who, had he lived, would have been a pillar of the community like his father who organizes the event in his sons memory.  This event reminds me why I love living in a small community that really is a community...not just a town.

12+ hour days on the tractor since the race.  A few more days of this before things settle down and I can officially start marathon training.  Mark's race weather my disrupt farm work and give me a bit of a break this weekend but I'd rather the weather hold so we can finish.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:47 am

Nice job on the race! It sounds like a great community event.

Good luck on the harvest. And I'd be perfectly fine if that weather system shifted direction away from us and you had to put in more time on the tractor this weekend. Wink

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:19 am

Mark B wrote:Nice job on the race! It sounds like a great community event.

Good luck on the harvest. And I'd be perfectly fine if that weather system shifted direction away from us and you had to put in more time on the tractor this weekend. Wink


Thanks Mark...it is one of my favorite events.

The rains came in early.  It started spitting rain at 6:45 last night.  By 8:00 we had everything parked in sheds and were ready for a shower, a cup of tea, and an early bedtime.  I was exhausted and even with a good night's sleep I'm still not feeling great this morning.  We've had a few long hard days.  I'm not sure if age is just catching up with me or if the beta blockers are adding to the problem but boy I'm struggling more than I used to.  We got enough rain to essentially shut down harvest work for the weekend. Don't get the wrong impression...we still have a lot of work to keep busy.  I've got office work to do before the 10th and mail to catch up on.

Things are slow enough to allow me to get back into a bit of training.  Not feeling great so I plan to take it slow and easy.  I'm pretty sure that once I get moving again I'll feel much better and another early night to bed won't hurt either.  I think I'll swim today.  That will get me moving without to much stress and strain.  If I feel OK I'll get a run in tomorrow and then we'll see how I feel...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:59 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Nice job on the race! It sounds like a great community event.

Good luck on the harvest. And I'd be perfectly fine if that weather system shifted direction away from us and you had to put in more time on the tractor this weekend. Wink


Thanks Mark...it is one of my favorite events.

The rains came in early.  It started spitting rain at 6:45 last night.  By 8:00 we had everything parked in sheds and were ready for a shower, a cup of tea, and an early bedtime.  I was exhausted and even with a good night's sleep I'm still not feeling great this morning.  We've had a few long hard days.  I'm not sure if age is just catching up with me or if the beta blockers are adding to the problem but boy I'm struggling more than I used to.  We got enough rain to essentially shut down harvest work for the weekend. Don't get the wrong impression...we still have a lot of work to keep busy.  I've got office work to do before the 10th and mail to catch up on.

Things are slow enough to allow me to get back into a bit of training.  Not feeling great so I plan to take it slow and easy.  I'm pretty sure that once I get moving again I'll feel much better and another early night to bed won't hurt either.  I think I'll swim today.  That will get me moving without to much stress and strain.  If I feel OK I'll get a run in tomorrow and then we'll see how I feel...

You know, a little recovery time isn't a bad thing. Even though you haven't been training as much as you'd like, you've still been putting your body through a lot of stress. That counts, too.

If you feel like heading out and frolicking in the rain, however, go for it!

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Just catching up - that is an excellent 10K no matter what, Nancy!  Nice job!
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4742
Points : 11073
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Just catching up - that is an excellent 10K no matter what, Nancy!  Nice job!


Thanks Michele...in full disclosure this is a fast 10K...the first 4 miles are a nice moderate downhill.  But I was pleased with my results.

**
Mark...I took your advice and took a nice recovery nap yesterday after swimming.  Struggled to wake up...I'm not used to napping but it did feel nice.

**

Friday - Swim 1900 yds.  Kept this a bit short and easy.  I did not feel well when I woke up and debated even going but I felt better and better as the workout progressed.  I think I needed to get myself moving again.

Saturday - 11.5 mi w/11 @ 11:01  HR 130/151  Kept this fairly easy but I did manage a slight negative split which caused my HR to go up the last couple miles but I was still pretty happy with this.  I think this pace and HR will work well for my long runs as I transition into marathon training.  Woke up with tummy issues this morning so I ran later than I would have liked and it was getting a bit warm.  I've had tummy trouble and leg cramps that I'm going to have to resolve if this is going to be an enjoyable training cycle.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Just checking in quickly during a very short break.  Farming is busy and going to get even busier in the next few days.  I am squeezing in some training...details later...but I'm struggling to maintain both the farm work and the training so I may have to cut back a bit so I don't get to exhausted to train once things return to a normal schedule on the farm.

Back to work...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Definitely time for an update!  BUSY on the farm.  Weather has not been cooperative!  My oldest granddaughter celebrated her 12th birthday yesterday. Very Happy

Oh...training...

Monday - Swim 2350 yds.
            - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool

Tuesday - Pilates
             - 6 mi w/8x400 @ 2:05 (8:20) HR 145/169
             - Bike 23.5 mi.  Group ride.  That's right they are starting up a group ride every other week.  Will join in when I can.  Not speedy but fun dynamics.

Wednesday - Swim 2200 yds

Thursday - Pilates
              - 7 mi w/5 @ 9:58 HR 140/162

Friday - Farming

Saturday - 13 mi. @ 10:52 HR 133/154

Sunday - Farming

Monday - Swim 2400 yds.

Nothing so far today as I've been on the tractor since 5:30 and it's getting warm and I'm tired...

So I contacted Dr. B with some questions:

  • Are my leg cramps/muscle soreness related to the statins...Probably not based on which muscles are cramping (calves and arches).
  • Are my HR levels OK? (152/172 during my 10K and often 140+/160+ during training)...Yup
  • If not how do I figure out what is appropriate?...They are OK but suggested I check out Ironheartfoundation.org  Wow...am I glad he suggested this.  It's a group of cardiac patients who train and compete in all sorts of events all the way up to Ironmans.  Found some interesting discussion about training while on beta-blockers.
  • What about my fatigue?  I feel OK during/after training but mornings are often tough!...Suggested I check my iron levels but based on my training results he's happy with my medication levels.


Life goes on...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  ounce on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Good Q&A with the doc.  

Do y'all hire (for lack of a better word) migrant workers to do stuff during the growing cycle or what?  How did the June corn

I was kinda surprised in the photo shot that you weren't wearing the red shirt, black shorts, bib number and sleeves like your avatar.  I guess that doesn't make for good working clothes.

I've learned, Nancy, that rest is as much a part of training as speedwork and a long run.

Seems like you're doing well with all the training, too!  That heart muscle is doing its part not to let you down again.  Do a little quid pro quo with your heart.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4704
Points : 12953
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:18 pm

Lots of activity and good information from your doctor. Like Ounce said, I'd not worry too much about fatigue at this point. See what happens once the farm work settles down and see how your body responds.

I'm excited that you found a group of fellow travelers with the IronHeartFoundation! I bet they'll be a great resource for you.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:10 pm

ounce wrote:Good Q&A with the doc.  

Do y'all hire (for lack of a better word) migrant workers to do stuff during the growing cycle or what?  How did the June corn

I was kinda surprised in the photo shot that you weren't wearing the red shirt, black shorts, bib number and sleeves like your avatar.  I guess that doesn't make for good working clothes.

I've learned, Nancy, that rest is as much a part of training as speedwork and a long run.

Seems like you're doing well with all the training, too!  That heart muscle is doing its part not to let you down again.  Do a little quid pro quo with your heart.

Mark B wrote:Lots of activity and good information from your doctor. Like Ounce said, I'd not worry too much about fatigue at this point. See what happens once the farm work settles down and see how your body responds.

I'm excited that you found a group of fellow travelers with the IronHeartFoundation! I bet they'll be a great resource for you.
Doug and Mark...yeah...I know the drill about rest...easier said than done.  But I did behave myself yesterday and took a short nap rather than a short run before dinner.  Today was hectic again and tomorrow looks like I may have a narrow window of time in the morning when it's cool so I'll take it easy again today.

Doug in answer to your questions...Yes, we do hire migrant workers.  We have two full time Hispanic employees and up to 25 short term employees during our busiest time (carrot planting).  This only lasts a couple weeks.  We have a crew of 5-6 workers for several weeks from early Spring until early Summer.  They help with carrot planting but also pick rocks, hoe weeds, and set up the drip irrigation in the carrot fields.  They work hard and we appreciate them!

The corn is looking good...I think we're in first place but it won't be ready to pick until late July/early August.

I won't say that I've never driven tractor in my running clothes but usually opt for long sleeves, long pants, and sturdy shoes...for safety and sun protection.

OK...I'm going to catch up on a couple quick chores in the house and then take a rest...or at least sit and read for a few minutes.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  ounce on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:49 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Good Q&A with the doc.  

Do y'all hire (for lack of a better word) migrant workers to do stuff during the growing cycle or what?  How did the June corn

I was kinda surprised in the photo shot that you weren't wearing the red shirt, black shorts, bib number and sleeves like your avatar.  I guess that doesn't make for good working clothes.

I've learned, Nancy, that rest is as much a part of training as speedwork and a long run.

Seems like you're doing well with all the training, too!  That heart muscle is doing its part not to let you down again.  Do a little quid pro quo with your heart.

Mark B wrote:Lots of activity and good information from your doctor. Like Ounce said, I'd not worry too much about fatigue at this point. See what happens once the farm work settles down and see how your body responds.

I'm excited that you found a group of fellow travelers with the IronHeartFoundation! I bet they'll be a great resource for you.
Doug and Mark...yeah...I know the drill about rest...easier said than done.  But I did behave myself yesterday and took a short nap rather than a short run before dinner.  Today was hectic again and tomorrow looks like I may have a narrow window of time in the morning when it's cool so I'll take it easy again today.

Doug in answer to your questions...Yes, we do hire migrant workers.  We have two full time Hispanic employees and up to 25 short term employees during our busiest time (carrot planting).  This only lasts a couple weeks.  We have a crew of 5-6 workers for several weeks from early Spring until early Summer.  They help with carrot planting but also pick rocks, hoe weeds, and set up the drip irrigation in the carrot fields.  They work hard and we appreciate them!

The corn is looking good...I think we're in first place but it won't be ready to pick until late July/early August.

I won't say that I've never driven tractor in my running clothes but usually opt for long sleeves, long pants, and sturdy shoes...for safety and sun protection.

OK...I'm going to catch up on a couple quick chores in the house and then take a rest...or at least sit and read for a few minutes.
Your workers pick rocks?  How long does it take from planting a rock seed until it's ready to pick? Wink Wink

Regarding corn, I was fairly ignorant in thinking that corn is harvested in June down here, that it would be the same up there.  I didn't take into account it's cooler up there in June than here.

Thanks for the info.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4704
Points : 12953
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:02 pm

You aren't a farm boy, are you, Ounce? Rocks grow by themselves.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Mark B wrote:You aren't a farm boy, are you, Ounce? Rocks grow by themselves.


That's funny!  We moved here in 1989 when the kids were 7, 9, & 12 years old.  We had a deal...we offered them work and they paid for their own school clothes and all their spending money.  (We provided work clothes, shoes, socks, undies, coats etc.  and meals of course.)  They soon learned the value of working (this was in the pre-Pokémon era) and also learned that if they helped us get the work done then we would have more time to do fun things with them.  They all graduated from high school with enough money in the bank to purchase a new pickup plus money for college.  The point of this story is that we picked ALOT of rocks together as a family.  Our days in the fields usually included discussions about how the rocks seemed to reappear every time we worked a field.  They discussed rock breeding habits and entertained the idea that there may be male and female rocks and if we could eliminate the males then we'd be all set.  Of course they were looking for ideas that would eliminate them without their physical labor.  Those are good memories.  And the rocks are still working there way up from the depths every time we till the ground.

Doug...we have the summer heat needed to grow corn but our soil temperatures coming out of the winter are to low to germinate the seed until late Spring.  If we plant before late April/early May it just sits in the ground and rots.  I grew up in Sandy (western side of Mt. Hood) and still have family there.  In Sandy we could plant in early/mid April but the summer temps aren't as high so even though we plant later on the east side of the mountain we still harvest first. Very Happy

*
Friday - Swim 2200 yds
          - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool

Saturday - 6.5 mi @ 10:52  HR 126/144  Short LP run to ease back into things after a rough week on the farm.

Rough week on the farm with no time for training until Friday when I managed to squeeze in a bike ride to the pool and a swim.  (to warm to run)  Marty could tell I was getting frustrated so he suggested I go for an early run on Saturday and they would cover my spot on the baler if the conditions were right to bale before I finished.  I figured about an hour was as long as I should be away.  I was really wanting to make up for the runs I missed during the week but I'm pleased with my decision to just make this an easy run at Long Run pace.  And look at that HR!  Good decision if I must say so myself.  They were cranking up the balers just as I came around the corner and I was in my work clothes and in my tractor before they finished the first pass.

This week should be a little less hectic but will be HOT.  I'm going to have to be careful...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:09 pm

This is a dangerous sport!  Doug and Tim are recovering.  Mark is in a boot.  And I got bit by a dog!  Again!  This is getting silly.  Fortunately he got the heel of my shoe and not my Achilles.  He bit hard enough to knock me off my stride.  Small tear in my shoe and a bit of a scare but I finished my run. Very Happy   I wasn't even going to report it but decided that I should just in case he came at me again.  The officer was going to have a talk with the owners.  It's a road I can't really avoid unless I run the highway which isn't safe either.

So the run.  14 mi @ 10:54 HR 133/158 (was lower before the dog bite!)  Good run especially after my 6.5 miles yesterday.  I don't normally run two days in a row but wanted to take advantage of the opportunity (time) this morning.  Early to bed.  It's going to be a busy and hot week.  I'm sore/tired tonight but in a good way.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1938
Points : 6726
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Good grief! A dog bite! Glad it only got your heel, and that you talked with the deputy about it. Might help (or not), but at least they've been warned.

One suggestion from a cyclist friend of mine: Carry a plastic bag with handful of cut-up pepperoni treats in it. When the dog comes after you, toss the treats. The next time, it'll approach with its tail wagging. (Well, it worked for her..)

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7183
Points : 15459
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum