365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

3 - California here we come... - Page 9 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Exactly what I mean about the walkers.  I'm all for them being out there - but remember that there are possibly faster runners/walkers behind you!

Exactly!!

Thurs - Pilates
         - 5 mi @ 10:18  HR 130/149  I had 10 @ MP on the schedule but I knew I didn't have time and that my body wasn't ready for that.  I managed to squeeze in 5 miles plus a nice cool down walk.  I started out at a 10:45 pace but as I warmed up things felt better and I sped up without increasing the effort at all.  It is amazing to me how much longer it takes me to warm up now.  Could be age but I'm still thinking it's the beta blockers.

Fri - Core/strength  As of this morning we're up to full reps on everything.  It's a tough 45-50 minute workout at this point but I think it helps.
     - Swim 2100 yds.  This was a fun swim.   We're preparing for a timed 3000 yd swim on Nov 13th.  Today we warmed up and then swam 3 x 500 with one minute rest in between each 500.  My times were 9:45, 9:40, 9:36.  And every one was a negative split!  My goal is to swim the 3000 in one hour.

I've got a 20 miler on the schedule for this weekend.  I'll watch the weather and hopefully find a big enough block of time without to much rain.  We've been wetter than normal and it's getting muddy on our gravel road.  Yesterday I drove to the corner where the pavement started to avoid the mud.  I'm hoping to be able to loop back to the house for water and gu...we'll see what the weather does.  I'm still a bit sore/tired from my half last Sunday.  The easier/shorter run yesterday helped and swimming always helps my legs recover.  I've also found the pilates helps.  We do some core work but also some stretching and breathing that I think is good for me...something different.  I am going to try and be careful not to push to hard on the 20 miler.  Time on my feet is more important than pace at this point.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:38 am

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Exactly what I mean about the walkers.  I'm all for them being out there - but remember that there are possibly faster runners/walkers behind you!

Exactly!!

Thurs - Pilates
         - 5 mi @ 10:18  HR 130/149  I had 10 @ MP on the schedule but I knew I didn't have time and that my body wasn't ready for that.  I managed to squeeze in 5 miles plus a nice cool down walk.  I started out at a 10:45 pace but as I warmed up things felt better and I sped up without increasing the effort at all.  It is amazing to me how much longer it takes me to warm up now.  Could be age but I'm still thinking it's the beta blockers.

Fri - Core/strength  As of this morning we're up to full reps on everything.  It's a tough 45-50 minute workout at this point but I think it helps.
     - Swim 2100 yds.  This was a fun swim.   We're preparing for a timed 3000 yd swim on Nov 13th.  Today we warmed up and then swam 3 x 500 with one minute rest in between each 500.  My times were 9:45, 9:40, 9:36.  And every one was a negative split!  My goal is to swim the 3000 in one hour.

I've got a 20 miler on the schedule for this weekend.  I'll watch the weather and hopefully find a big enough block of time without to much rain.  We've been wetter than normal and it's getting muddy on our gravel road.  Yesterday I drove to the corner where the pavement started to avoid the mud.  I'm hoping to be able to loop back to the house for water and gu...we'll see what the weather does.  I'm still a bit sore/tired from my half last Sunday.  The easier/shorter run yesterday helped and swimming always helps my legs recover.  I've also found the pilates helps.  We do some core work but also some stretching and breathing that I think is good for me...something different.  I am going to try and be careful not to push to hard on the 20 miler.  Time on my feet is more important than pace at this point.

Ultreya...

Very good point you made there, Nancy! Especially after racing a half the week before. Nice and easy is all you need for this 20-miler. 

I do think there's a decent chance you're going to get wet at some point, though... think of the muddy access road as a little bit of trail running thrown in for variety's sake!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Well, I guess the running gods were smiling down on me on Saturday.  I completed my 20 miler in overcast but dry weather.  50 degrees and quite comfortable.  I dodged the biggest puddles and didn't even get muddy!

Finished with fairly even splits for each 5 mile loop.  I did speed up a bit during the last mile but kept the pace fairly conservative.  Ended up with 10:43   Average HR 143  I could tell that I wasn't completely recovered from my half last weekend.  This wasn't an easy run even though it was slower than my first 20 a couple weeks ago.  Oddly enough even though my legs were tired last night they feel pretty good today...maybe even better than before the 20.  Today was a complete rest day.  Tomorrow is a cross day...no running.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:20 pm

Well run, Nancy!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well run, Nancy!

Thanks Michele.

I felt pretty good this morning and thought I had recovered well.  Core/strength workout went well and felt good.  Swimming....hmmm...maybe I wasn't completely recovered.  2650 yards.  We're training for a timed 3000 yd swim on Nov. 13th.  My goal is to do it in one hour (50 yard splits of :60).  Lately I've been able to maintain that most days but I struggled today and missed it by a second or two more than once.  I think my biggest problem was letting my mind wander and then realizing at the turn that I'd slowed that lap.  I need to maintain my concentration or my form falls apart.

I may finish up a couple chores and see if I can sneak in a short nap...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:43 am

Nice job on the 20-miler! I can imagine that your body is still recovering from the half-marathon, but that's okay. You got a great training stimulus out of it.

A nap sounds nice...

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice job on the 20-miler! I can imagine that your body is still recovering from the half-marathon, but that's okay. You got a great training stimulus out of it.

A nap sounds nice...

Thanks Mark.  Marty left for his annual Elk hunting trip this morning.  I intend to make sure that in addition to training runs I take advantage of the opportunity to nap or at least relax and recover well during these last couple hard weeks of training.  That hard work won't do any good if I push to hard I don't allow my body to adapt to it!

Tues - Pilates  I'm really enjoying this free class at the pool.  We do a bit of strengthening but the instructor really concentrates on proper technique, breathing, and core.  Very good balance for me at this point I think.
        - 9.5 miles including 3 x 2  Avg 18:36 (@9:18) HR 144/161  Well within an appropriate pace.  Most importantly not to fast.  At this point in time I can't risk pushing to hard and/or overtraining.  I don't have time to recover if I push to hard.  My HR was up slightly...enough to remind me to keep an eye on it but not enough to concern me.

Wed - Swim 2200 yds.  Relatively easy workout this morning as we have a hard swim planned for Friday.
       - I wasn't able to do my core/strength this morning.  I plan to do it this afternoon but I may opt for a shorter session.  I think the combination of increase running, increased swimming and increased core/strength are taking their toll on this old body.  I don't want to skip the core work as I think it's important but...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Still going at it but noticing the cumulative effect of increased miles, swimming and core.  Legs are really feeling the stress but HR was better today.

I did the full reps of my core/strength workout last night and quickly questioned my decision.  A few niggles showed up while sitting during the baseball game last night.  They seemed better this morning when I woke up and improved even more after pilates this morning.

I have some non-running activities planned for the later half of next week that are conflicting with my training plan.  It's supposed to be my last hard week before starting taper so I took a look at my scheduled runs and I think I've come up with a workable plan to get my runs in without bunching them up to much and without delaying the start of taper.  This old body is going to need some time to recover!!  I've had to move things around to accomplish that.

Today's run ended up being 15 mi @ 10:40  HR 139/162  Even though my legs were feeling pretty tired I had to really pay attention to keep the conservative pace that I wanted.  I ended up with pretty even splits on the 5 mile loops and kept the pace where I thought it should be until I opened it up on the last mile.  Niggles didn't rear their ugly heads but my legs are definitely tired tonight.  I have a loooong swim scheduled for tomorrow morning...could be interesting.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:49 pm

nkrichards wrote:Still going at it but noticing the cumulative effect of increased miles, swimming and core.  Legs are really feeling the stress but HR was better today.

I did the full reps of my core/strength workout last night and quickly questioned my decision.  A few niggles showed up while sitting during the baseball game last night.  They seemed better this morning when I woke up and improved even more after pilates this morning.

I have some non-running activities planned for the later half of next week that are conflicting with my training plan.  It's supposed to be my last hard week before starting taper so I took a look at my scheduled runs and I think I've come up with a workable plan to get my runs in without bunching them up to much and without delaying the start of taper.  This old body is going to need some time to recover!!  I've had to move things around to accomplish that.

Today's run ended up being 15 mi @ 10:40  HR 139/162  Even though my legs were feeling pretty tired I had to really pay attention to keep the conservative pace that I wanted.  I ended up with pretty even splits on the 5 mile loops and kept the pace where I thought it should be until I opened it up on the last mile.  Niggles didn't rear their ugly heads but my legs are definitely tired tonight.  I have a loooong swim scheduled for tomorrow morning...could be interesting.

Ultreya...

Steady as she goes! You won't get much out of this last week pre-taper, so don't think you've got to hammer them out. You want to hit that starting line fresh and uninjured. I'm looking forward to this taper...could be interesting. Wink

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:32 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Still going at it but noticing the cumulative effect of increased miles, swimming and core.  Legs are really feeling the stress but HR was better today.

Ultreya...

Steady as she goes! You won't get much out of this last week pre-taper, so don't think you've got to hammer them out. You want to hit that starting line fresh and uninjured. I'm looking forward to this taper...could be interesting. Wink

I'm trying to be good Mark...but it's hard...it's not something I practice very often!

I looked at my schedule.  If I move my runs around a bit I'll only miss one run.  I'll try not to push to hard this last week or so.  I am tired and I'm looking forward to taper. 

I looked at my past training this morning and realized that three years ago I was in Hamilton Ontario where Nick and I both ran BQ marathons!!  Fun memories...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:12 pm

And the saga continues...

Friday was the 2000 yard swim that we had planned in order to prepare for a timed 3000 next weekend.  I arrived early enough to get in a 400 yard warm up and then off we went.  My goal was to swim :60 50's.  On pace at 500 with a time of 10:00.  At the end of 1000 I was at 20:02.  And then I started to struggle.  At the end of 1500 I was at 30:21 and even when I put out more effort I continued to lose time.  I finished the 2000 in 40:38.  With my 100 yard cool down I ended up with 2500 yards for the morning.  Didn't make my goal but still my fastest swim ever at anything close to that distance.  I knew that it was going to be tough after running 15 miles the day before but marathon training is the priority.  Coach Tim said I "tightened up" and needed to remember to relax.  I'm not sure how to do that.  I just think that my body said that enough was enough and that's all it was able to do.  I recover quickly from hard swims so did my full core/strength later that afternoon before showering and heading up to the pool for a fund raiser.  It was a dessert auction...anyone interested in a delicious... and very expensive...piece of lemon cheesecake? Smile

Saturday - 12 w/10 @ 9:52  HR 137/151  My last pre-taper MP run is in the bag.  I knew that with less than fresh legs and 15-20 mph winds this was going to be a tough run.  It was.  In spite of my realization that I needed to keep the pace conservative I still started out a bit to fast.  And then I breezed right by my first opportunity to refuel.  Ooops!!  When I turned the corner at the beginning of mile 5 I hit the headwinds and also could feel the effects of my refueling error early in the run.  Mile 5 and 6 were tough.  I accepted the fact that I was going to lose a bit of time and tried to keep the effort steady.  I was happy to refuel at the end of mile 6 and turn (escaping the headwinds).  I resisted the temptation to make up lost time and settled back into a comfortable pace.  Mile 10 was once again into the wind and I quickly realized that a fast finish was not going to happen today.  I did maintain my MP but I was ready for my cool down!  I ended up with a very slight negative split.  I am pleased that my HR was reasonable throughout the run and recovered quickly.  It may not be my best executed run but it's done.

We're in the middle of the Community Cardio Challenge.  We record our minutes doing any cardio activity for 50 days.  I'm going to resist the temptation to record more minutes this weekend and make the rest of today and all day tomorrow complete rest/recovery days.  It's a fun event but tough to make it "fair".  It's all based on the honor system.  The walkers/new exercisers complain that those of us who are already exercising have an advantage.  Almost all my minutes are hard minutes while the newbies tend to write down everything including a leisurely walk with the dog.  I think they have the advantage!  It's all in good fun and I enjoy participating.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Rest/recovery day today as planned.

I slept in...
Watched the NYC marathon...
Shared my cheesecake with the kids and grandkids...
Read a book...
And...I may have cheated just a bit...I went for a walk to the paper box.  It was only a mile and I kept the pace easy.  It was a beautiful day!!!!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:52 am

Nice workouts as you get ready for taper, Nancy! The fact that you achieved a negative split on the MP run, despite wind and fueling issues, says a lot about how ready you are for CIM. You earned that cheesecake!

It's never "cheating" when you're picking up the newspaper, by the way. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice workouts as you get ready for taper, Nancy! The fact that you achieved a negative split on the MP run, despite wind and fueling issues, says a lot about how ready you are for CIM. You earned that cheesecake!

It's never "cheating" when you're picking up the newspaper, by the way. Very Happy
Thanks Mark.  I hope you're correct concerning my preparedness for CIM!!

Busy week!

Mon - Core/strength
       - Swim 2450 yds
       - Headed in to Bend for a "Pain in the Butt" seminar at the running store.  The PT who presented was excellent.  We all got down on the floor for testing and to learn exercises.  Apparently my glutes are still not firing as they should.  My dedication to exercises has actually strengthened my hamstrings which has added to the problem rather than fixing it.  Hmmm.  I'm not actually having any specific issues with pain.  I just know my glutes have never been active participants in this running activity.  Guess that once the marathon is over I'm going to have to figure out how to correct that problem.

Tue - Pilates
      - 20 mi @ 10:40 HR 144/167  This was an interesting run.  I went to Pilates, hurried home and after a brief pause to hydrate, fuel and use the restroom I headed off.  I could feel a bit of residual muscle fatigue from Pilates but I was warmed up and headed off with a skip in my step.  First 5 mile loop (@ 10:38) was a bit fast but fine.  Second 5 mile loop was going along just fine until I crossed paths with my daughter-in-law who was on mile 4 of 4.  We ran along together...chatting as we ran.  All of a sudden I realized I'd just completed mile 10 @ 10:01 pace...that's MP!  Oops.  I slowed and eased back into the next loop at long run pace but it was quickly obvious the damage was done.  I completed that loop @ 10:46 pace but it was painfully difficult.  I almost stopped at mile 15 but I couldn't bring myself to start taper with a failed long run.  I dropped the pace another notch but it was a struggle.  I haven't had a run this difficult in a long time!!  I was able to speed up slightly during mile 20 completing it @ 10:14...faster but no where near MP.

Wed - Swim 2150 yds

So it's taken me a bit of time to process that 20 miler.  It was a very timely reminder of how easily we can get sucked into a pace that is not appropriate...and the damage it can do.  And it was also a reminder of how hard that last 6 miles of a marathon feels.  I've never been confident in my ability to negative split a marathon and that fear was reinforced.  My success at CIM is going to hinge on my ability to pace it correctly...

Another bright spot...youngest son, Kevin was active in the No on 97 campaign and they invited him (and Natalie) to spend the evening in Portland to watch and celebrate the results.  They dropped the boys (age 2 & 4) off right after I completed my long run.  They spent the night and I took them to preschool this morning.  They are a handful and don't sleep through the night very well but it was fun.

I'm off to Portland tomorrow for a few days.  One running event which I'll explain when I get back.  One interval strength run which I plan to run on the waterfront on Friday morning.  Lots of fun family stuff.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 pm

Very interesting trip to Portland...I'll share the details tomorrow when I have more time.  No...I didn't get mixed up in the Trump protests but they were quite close.

We swam our timed 3000 yard swim this morning.  I made my goal of one hour with 2 seconds to spare!!  Coach Tim has nicknamed me "Save-it-up Sammy".  Dr. Beckerman would be pleased.

Lots of news...I'll try and post more tomorrow...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:26 am

Details as promised...

Thurs - Pilates and then I was off to Portland.  I'm not a city gal but I survived.  Headed into town and managed to check into my hotel and park my car.  Headed off...on foot...to do a bit of shopping.  Returned to my hotel for afternoon tea...nice touch...and a shower.  Then I headed off to the Mission Theatre for a showing of the Ironheart documentary "Flatline to Finish Line" and the kick off of Dr. Beckerman's 5th annual Heart to Start program. The movie was awesome.  It was about cardiac patients who trained and completed...well some completed...an Ironman.  Very motivational and sobering all at once.  Not available to the public yet but I plan to watch it again when it is.  I visited with Dave who started the Ironheart organization and played a major role in the movie.  Talked to several others who were there attending...some who were coaches for Dr B's training program.  Some who were there to learn more about participating.  I obviously can't drive to Portland for the training every week but will sign up for his race in February.  I spoke to Dr. B briefly but he was busy with this other guests.

Fri - 5.25 mi @ 10:55 HR 129/138   This was scheduled to be an interval strength run but I had some niggles and wasn't familiar with the area so opted for an easy run instead. 

Then I headed off to meet up with family and we drove up to Ranier to pet the sloth.  It was a treat for granddaughter, Izzy but Katie and Mom also went along...4 generations.  It was pretty neat and Izzy enjoyed it.

We spent the night at Skamania Lodge and took Izzy on the Zip Line tour the next morning.  She was a little nervous but really enjoyed it.

Details of my swim later...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Sounds like a good weekend and an interesting film. You're not giving us a hint of your next adventure, are you? Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Wow, I'd like to see that film.  You are very lucky that you have been able to work with such a Doc.  Waiting for details on the swim - 3000 yds is a long way!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Mark B wrote:Sounds like a good weekend and an interesting film. You're not giving us a hint of your next adventure, are you? Very Happy
It was a very good weekend Mark.  And the film was interesting to say the least.  It brought some emotions to the surface that I hadn't recognized let alone acknowledged.  I'm still processing it all.

And yes...it may be a hint of my next adventure.  It will NOT be an Ironman.  Would I attempt it if I lived in a vacuum...probably.  But I don't.  The movie was primarily about the legacy we each leave behind.  I don't need to complete an Ironman to leave behind a legacy of health and happiness for my family.  One of the cast members died during a training ride.  One of the cast members...who was there and visited with me...has started an Ironman 9 times and failed to finish.  One of the cast members started training with his doctors permission and then on his doctors advice pulled out just weeks before the event.  Dave, the main character, admitted during the Q&A session that the hardest part of training was the toll it took on his family.  The cast members who successfully completed the Ironman were all much younger than I am.  And they were Ironman level athletes before their cardiac events changed their lives. 

Marathon training has reminded me how hard this is on my body...and my family.  They are struggling with my decision to do this.  They are supportive on the surface but I can sense their concern.  The last few weeks have been hard.  We are all looking forward to taper!  I will complete this to the best of my ability.  I will continue to stay active.  I can see a longer distance triathlon in my future...definitely an Olympic distance with an open water swim...maybe a Half Ironman but NOT an Ironman.

And the promised details of my swim on Sunday morning...

I wasn't feeling the greatest after getting out of my routine over the weekend.  To make matters worse, my vertigo had flared up on Thursday and was still giving me fits.  But I was committed.  We had an early breakfast and I gathered my swim gear and headed to the pool.  Marty agreed to count/record my lap splits for me.  I took the time to warm up with an easy 300 and then 3x50 @ 3Kpace.  There were 8 swimmers and we all took off together at 9:00.  Splits...

500     9:52     9:52

1000  10:00    19:52

1500  10:03    29:55

2000  10:05    40:00  I was starting to get a bit nervous

2500  10:09    50:09  I was getting very nervous!

2750    5:02    55:11  Not looking good...Not having much luck making up time!
2800      :59    56:10
2850      :59    57:09
2900      :59    58:08  I'm making headway but not enough!
2950      :58    59:06  Hmmm...time to sprint...
3000      :52    59:58  Woohoo!!

A relaxed cool down lap gave me a total of 3500 yards.  2 miles!

And I earned my new nickname "Save-it-up Sammy".  The coaches wife finished in 35:02...a new Oregon record for her age group (40-45 I think) by nearly a full minute!  My friend Janice (age 71) finished in 66:58 which was an awesome finish for her as well.  It was a fun morning! 

I was amazed how exhausted I was after the swim.  I'm still tired today so I'm taking a full recovery/rest day.  I'm going to have to be careful to make sure I take this taper seriously.  I have a good plan for my runs but if I'm not careful I'll cross train more than I should.  My core/strength workout is pretty tough so I think I'll cut it out now but will continue with Pilates for another week or so as it's much less strenuous and will keep my core strong enough.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Gratz

Gratz on your 2 mile time!

When I get vertigo, it's because my salt intake is low.  I have to be mindful of it.

I guess that CIM will calm the family for a bit, with a successful run.  They could keep an eye on you by volunteering!  And take a good long taper.  You've earned it with all of your activities.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:15 pm

ounce wrote:Gratz

Gratz on your 2 mile time!

When I get vertigo, it's because my salt intake is low.  I have to be mindful of it.

I guess that CIM will calm the family for a bit, with a successful run.  They could keep an eye on you by volunteering!  And take a good long taper.  You've earned it with all of your activities.

Thanks for the suggestion Doug...I'll up my salt intake slightly for a couple days and see if that helps.

CIM was my first marathon (2009).  The kids put together a relay team and ran with me...well we started at the same time and finished at the same time but didn't actually run together.  They got ahead of me and then Katie did the last leg and she slowed enough so that we could cross the finish line together.  They are planning on doing the same thing this year.  I'll have lots of family spectators on the course as well.  And I'll probably agree to carry my cell phone just for their peace of mind.  It will be fine...I'm just aware that they do have concerns.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:45 pm

So as I mentioned, I was exhausted after my long swim and did make Monday a full rest/recovery day.  I've also been trying to make sure I get to bed on time as sleeping in is not an option!

Tues - Pilates
        - 7 miles w/4x1  Avg 8:59  HR 142/162  Uhhh...I may have done these intervals a bit to fast.  It was cool but windy and the headwind was brutal but my legs just kept going.  I was beat afterwards and I was still feeling the effects the next morning.  Good thing I cut down the number of intervals.  I'm going to have to be cautious moving forward.

Wed - Swim 2350 yds.  I did the full workout but struggled to get my speed up.  Probably a good decision not to push to hard.

Taper goals;

1. Get plenty of sleep
  2. Hydrate better
  3. Walk that fine line between to much effort and not enough effort
  4. Smile...life is good

Well today was an interesting day.  There was a lady living in Madras who shared my name and was very close to my age.  A few years ago she was arrested and the local paper printed the arrest report.  We got some very interesting calls and had some good laughs.  Her obituary was in today's paper.  The confusion is understandable and the calls are...interesting.  Huge pauses when I answer the phone.  It was even more strange before I knew about the obituary.  I'm sure the confusion will continue to grow as people get home and read their paper.  It's nice to know people care.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:36 pm

nkrichards wrote:So as I mentioned, I was exhausted after my long swim and did make Monday a full rest/recovery day.  I've also been trying to make sure I get to bed on time as sleeping in is not an option!

Tues - Pilates
        - 7 miles w/4x1  Avg 8:59  HR 142/162  Uhhh...I may have done these intervals a bit to fast.  It was cool but windy and the headwind was brutal but my legs just kept going.  I was beat afterwards and I was still feeling the effects the next morning.  Good thing I cut down the number of intervals.  I'm going to have to be cautious moving forward.

Wed - Swim 2350 yds.  I did the full workout but struggled to get my speed up.  Probably a good decision not to push to hard.

Taper goals;

1. Get plenty of sleep
  2. Hydrate better
  4. Smile...life is good

Well today was an interesting day.  There was a lady living in Madras who shared my name and was very close to my age.  A few years ago she was arrested and the local paper printed the arrest report.  We got some very interesting calls and had some good laughs.  Her obituary was in today's paper.  The confusion is understandable and the calls are...interesting.  Huge pauses when I answer the phone.  It was even more strange before I knew about the obituary.  I'm sure the confusion will continue to grow as people get home and read their paper.  It's nice to know people care.

Ultreya...
I would adjust taper goal #3 to be "Walk that fine line between not much effort and average effort."  It's a taper after all!  Your muscles will love me for it...and you, too.  You'll get better sleep.  The concerned kids might lighten up some by seeing you're almost lazy, etc.

I would have SO much fun if my other same named person died and my friends called or something.  

But at the risk of being serious, I would recommend keeping those various newspaper clippings because I can see the day when some clerk made you deceased, instead of the real deceased.  Maybe even to the degree of notifying your banks, creditors and credit card companies to alert them of this because it'll be HELL to fix, if you haven't laid the foundation for refuting this.  The chance of 'that will never happen to me' might be reality.  The relaxed and humorous time spent (hey, do it during taper!) avoiding the calamity will be the angst and anxiety of having to fix it when it's not convenient.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:36 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:So as I mentioned, I was exhausted after my long swim and did make Monday a full rest/recovery day.  I've also been trying to make sure I get to bed on time as sleeping in is not an option!

Tues - Pilates

Taper goals;

1. Get plenty of sleep
  2. Hydrate better
  4. Smile...life is good

Ultreya...
I would adjust taper goal #3 to be "Walk that fine line between not much effort and average effort."  It's a taper after all!  Your muscles will love me for it...and you, too.  You'll get better sleep.  The concerned kids might lighten up some by seeing you're almost lazy, etc.

I would have SO much fun if my other same named person died and my friends called or something.  

But at the risk of being serious, I would recommend keeping those various newspaper clippings because I can see the day when some clerk made you deceased, instead of the real deceased.  Maybe even to the degree of notifying your banks, creditors and credit card companies to alert them of this because it'll be HELL to fix, if you haven't laid the foundation for refuting this.  The chance of 'that will never happen to me' might be reality.  The relaxed and humorous time spent (hey, do it during taper!) avoiding the calamity will be the angst and anxiety of having to fix it when it's not convenient.

I'm hoping that the fine line mentioned in taper goal #3 is that average effort.  I'm trying to cut back on quantity while maintaining quality.

Interesting conversations are still occurring.  Everyone cheered when I walked into Pilates this morning.  It is funny in so many ways but also quite serious...  I feel bad in a way but I'm not sure what I could have done to get the word out.  Interesting thoughts re proving that I am not actually deceased.  Hope it doesn't come to that but I guess it's possible.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:39 pm

Pilates this morning.

I waited till later in the day to run as it was chilly.  It was still 43 degrees...but sunny...when I headed out at 2:00.
8 mi w/6 @ 9:45  HR 136/154  I'm happy with that pace....not to fast but definitely in the MP range.  My legs felt a bit "heavy" but I settled in and ran well.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next