365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

3 - California here we come... - Page 10 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  ounce Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:36 pm

I remember asking my bank how they find out that people died.  I did this last year.  She said, "We look in the obituaries in the newspaper."

Good run, young lady.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Yeah, that's awkward. We newspaper folk try to always include at least the middle initial in things like that to avoid confusion, but even that doesn't work all the time.

Well, if anybody asks how you feel, you can tell them you feel like Lazarus. Wink

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 am

Mark B wrote:Yeah, that's awkward. We newspaper folk try to always include at least the middle initial in things like that to avoid confusion, but even that doesn't work all the time.

Well, if anybody asks how you feel, you can tell them you feel like Lazarus. Wink
I hear Lazarus was a Creative Consultant for "Heaven Can Wait." Rolling Eyes
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:40 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Yeah, that's awkward. We newspaper folk try to always include at least the middle initial in things like that to avoid confusion, but even that doesn't work all the time.

I hear Lazarus was a Creative Consultant for "Heaven Can Wait." Rolling Eyes

Still hearing stories about how people reacted when they read it but things are starting to calm down. 

I got my second chance in April 2015...what are the odds...

Friday - Swim 2350 yds

Saturday - Grandkid time

Sunday - 12 mi @ 10:23 HR 137/155  A random hailstorm blew through just as I was getting ready to head out the door.  I gave it a few minutes to pass but it was a chilly run and it was getting dark by the time I finished.  Struggling to keep my pace where it should be.  This was a bit faster than intended but I don't think it was fast enough to cause any damage.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:46 am

What are the odds? Given the universe's perverse sense of humor? I'd say 100% Very Happy

Nice job on the 12-miler. Those are always tough for me in taper. A little faster, especially toward the finish, shouldn't hurt a bit.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Wow, hailstorm!  12 miles recorded, though, in the books.

Woohoo!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Mark B wrote:What are the odds? Given the universe's perverse sense of humor? I'd say 100% Very Happy

Nice job on the 12-miler. Those are always tough for me in taper. A little faster, especially toward the finish, shouldn't hurt a bit.

ounce wrote:Wow, hailstorm!  12 miles recorded, though, in the books.

Woohoo!

It's taper time...you just never know what will happen...

Speaking of taper time...the cold sores showed up.  Not to bad and I feel OK.  Hopefully I'll get off lightly and they'll clear up before the race.

Mon - Swim 1950 yds.  The workout was 2400 and it was a kicking workout.  I wisely stopped at 1900 and took a cool off lap.

Tues - Pilates
        - 4.5 mi w/2x1 Avg 9:12  HR 142/180(??)  This run was way harder than it should have been.  Instead of struggling to keep the pace slow enough I was wondering why my legs were soooo heavy.  I'm sure the 180 HR reading is an error but my HR was high all through the run.  Is this related to the cold sores?  Maybe I should pull out the Emergen-C.

Early to bed tonight I think.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:11 am

You get extra credit for turning in earlier!  No harm in starting some Emergen-C.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 pm

ounce wrote:You get extra credit for turning in earlier!  No harm in starting some Emergen-C.
I'm continuing to try and get plenty of sleep.  The cold sores went away quickly and never got to bad.  I decided not to take the Emergen-C.  Haven't felt great but it's related more to the holidays and getting out of routine than anything I think.  Things should settle down a bit this week.

Wed - Swim 1550 yds.  Coach Tim's wife, Sara, was in charge of our workout today.  She likes kicking.  I cut the kicking in half and only did one set of sprints.  The full workout was way to much for a taper workout!

Thur - 5 mi w/4.5@ 9:55 HR 155/231 (obviously a HR monitor malfunction)  So I got my part of the Thanksgiving meal started and had time for a run.  It was in the low 40's and the winds were 25-30mph.  I stalled for a bit but finally decided that a relatively short, slow run was a good idea.  I headed out the door and my oldest son, Gary and his wife Shannon were jogging by the mailbox.  Gary waited a couple seconds as I made my way down the driveway and we all ran together and chatted.  The only problem was their slow chatting pace is faster than mine and I wasn't able to warm up.  Fortunately Gary soon forged ahead and Shannon soon turned around and I was able to slow down to a bit more reasonable pace.  The wind was miserable!

Fri - Family trip to Battleground, WA

Sat - Turkey Trot 10K  59:25 6.1 mi @ 9:44  HR 151/175  Still pretty windy but not as bad as Thursday.  This is the hilly course that kicked my butt last fall.  Pretty happy with today's race.  My goal was to run it slightly under marathon pace but not push hard enough to mess up my taper.  I finished in the middle of the pack.  It was a good morning. 

I'm not sure about the HR thing though.  I don't feel like my HR is that high so I'm assuming it's the monitor and that it may be complicated by the fact that I haven't been warming up as slowly as normal.  I'll do a slower run on Tuesday and see what happens.

Weather in Sacramento looks good on race day.  Low 37.  High 58.  Sunny with 0% chance of rain.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:34 am

Boy, a 25-30 mph wind!  Brrrrrrrrr.  Yeah, that's t-o-u-g-h.

As far as the HR, I agree with you and would suggest replacing any batteries involved and test it out, this week.

As far as the weather in Sac, this far out it's a gamble.  But looking at the weather two days before and two days after next Sunday (Dec 2-6), it doesn't materially change.  So, I would look at the weather for race day as a 5 day average until Thursday.  By Thursday, you can look at the weather for race day with a variation of 12 hours before and after race day for any material change.  Meteorologists like to nail the weekend weather as soon as they can.

Good health and sure footing, this week!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:50 am

Winter has definitely arrived.  27 this morning.  Weather in Sacramento is still looking good...on race day and the days before and after. 

Things are hectic here.  Trying to sort out our health insurance...very few options here and none of them are good options.  Also helping out with some tractor work and getting the house organized for visitors we expect after we return from California.  It's keeping me busy...and distracted...

Mon - Swim 1000 yds.  The workout was 2300 yds.  I did a token taper swim Smile

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Distractions are good! Glad the weather is looking good for the big day.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Nancy,
Best of luck and I hope you have fun.  I have extremely fond memories of CIM last year and wish I was running it again.
Here's hoping the weather is perfect and the starts align for you this weekend!
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:50 am

I concur on Nancy's weather forecast analysis.  Farms are a good antidote to TAPER MADNESS!!!!

I guess the hills and trees on said hills give more shade than on a flat course?

Continued success on foot placement and health!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:03 am

Tim C wrote:Nancy,
Best of luck and I hope you have fun.  I have extremely fond memories of CIM last year and wish I was running it again.
Thanks Tim.  I knew you had a good race at CIM last year and had been meaning to go back and reread your pacing strategy.  Your post reminded me to do just that.  I used Hanson type strength/speed work and MP runs but still did long runs (3 20 milers).  I'm still undecided on how soon to leave the pacer and start pushing.  Looks like your strategy worked perfectly.  Did you hear that they are going to pace at BQ time minus 2 minutes this year?  Helpful maybe but I wouldn't be confident that 2 minutes is enough.  Guess we'll see how things go soon enough.

ounce
I concur on Nancy's weather forecast analysis.  Farms are a good antidote to TAPER MADNESS!!!!

I guess the hills and trees on said hills give more shade than on a flat course?

Continued success on foot placement and health!
Thanks Doug.  Yes, my busy schedule is helping distract me from the race but I did dig out my pace times per mile from my previous marathons to help me decide when I feel comfortable leaving the pacer.  I don't want to wait to long.  I've never been able to negative split a marathon...the question is why?  Because I pushed to hard to soon or just because it's a marathon?

I have to admit that I'm pretty nervous about this one.  Not because a BQ is all that important but because it's my first since my cardiac event.  I know what's coming and it will get tough but what's really troubling me is how the beta blockers are going to affect my run.  I've gone 20 miles while on meds but those last 6 miles are going to be new territory.  I'm going to have to really try and concentrate on the race at hand...not my meds, or my vulnerable plaque!

To respond to your question about the hills...  I prefer a course with some moderate rolling hills as I think it encourages the use of different muscles and helps prevent overworking any one area.  The trees may provide some shade if needed but the varied course also provides lots of distractions to help the time/miles pass quickly.

Tues - Pilates
        - 3 mi w/2 @ 9:24  HR 144/163  HR still a bit high.  I think it's a combination of nerves and a shorter warm up...not concerned.  Gorgeous day for a run.  Chilly (low 40's) but clear and calm.  This run felt really good and was a reminder of the reason I run!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:46 pm

You will be fine - trust Dr. B and the training!

By the way, Michael Young will be out there running too - his first marathon in his new AG (60-64).  I expect he will kick butt.  I believe he is going for the sub-3 again.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:46 pm

You had once mentioned being with a pace group.  That might could be your last 6 mile distraction.  

You have a lot of people pulling for you...or pulling you..to the finish line.

Maybe find the EMS or race medical people at the Expo, give them your bib number and a copy of your diagnosis & med sheet, so they can keep an eye out for you and alert the EMS people along the course that they're going to have a 'live one' running.  Maybe even give them Dr. B's card or phone number or something so they can contact him and get the poop...doctor to doctor.  I know the race medical people will love you for supplying your info, rather than knowing nothing about the xx,xxx runners.

Maybe they have a special color or sticker to alert EMS that there is information about you with the race medical staff.

Better yet, bring 2 copies.

You'll be fine.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:13 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:You will be fine - trust Dr. B and the training!

By the way, Michael Young will be out there running too - his first marathon in his new AG (60-64).  I expect he will kick butt.  I believe he is going for the sub-3 again.

Thanks Michele. My training has gone well and I have Dr. B's Ok.  But I'm still nervous.  I want/need to do this.  I'm anxious to get it done!

I'll keep an eye out for Michael but if I don't see him at the start he'll be long gone!  Unless I can catch him at the awards. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Tim C wrote:Nancy,
Thanks Tim.  I knew you had a good race at CIM last year and had been meaning to go back and reread your pacing strategy.  Your post reminded me to do just that.  I used Hanson type strength/speed work and MP runs but still did long runs (3 20 milers).  I'm still undecided on how soon to leave the pacer and start pushing.  Looks like your strategy worked perfectly.  Did you hear that they are going to pace at BQ time minus 2 minutes this year?  Helpful maybe but I wouldn't be confident that 2 minutes is enough.  Guess we'll see how things go soon enough.

While I am certainly no expert, I have PR'd in my last couple of marathons by substantial amounts and have been able to run the last couple of miles MUCH faster than the pace I've run the first 23 miles or so.  I think the 2 minutes under pace is just perfect.  Don't let them out of your sight and don't run ahead of them for 22-23 miles.  Then, assuming you're feeling it, pick it up 30-40 seconds per mile and you'll finish well under what you'll need.  

Good luck!
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:21 pm

ounce wrote:You had once mentioned being with a pace group.  That might could be your last 6 mile distraction.  

You have a lot of people pulling for you...or pulling you..to the finish line.

Maybe find the EMS or race medical people at the Expo, give them your bib number and a copy of your diagnosis & med sheet, so they can keep an eye out for you and alert the EMS people along the course that they're going to have a 'live one' running.  Maybe even give them Dr. B's card or phone number or something so they can contact him and get the poop...doctor to doctor.  I know the race medical people will love you for supplying your info, rather than knowing nothing about the xx,xxx runners.

Maybe they have a special color or sticker to alert EMS that there is information about you with the race medical staff.

Better yet, bring 2 copies.

You'll be fine.

Yes, Doug, I'm sure I will be fine but I'll still worry till it's over.

I'm hoping that I'll pull ahead of the pace group during the last 6 miles but I'll stick with them if I need to.  The family is running as a relay team and the plan is for them to be ahead of me when Katie takes over the last leg.  Last time I caught up with her and we finished together.

As far as medical info, I wear an ID dog tag with a link to all my medical information including my diagnosis, doctor, meds, and emergency contact info.  I'll make sure my family has paper documents as well.  I've agreed to carry my cell phone to give my family a bit more comfort...I can call from the finish area and let them know I'm doing fine...that's where Katie lost track of me in Boston.

I do like your idea of contacting medical at the expo and just asking what info they would like.  I did put Katie's cell number on the back of my bib in Boston and that's what they used to contact her.  I wasn't able to give them her number from memory.  Maybe I'll include my meds this time as well.

I have a lot of support and encouragement from the local running community and from my swim group friends.  Even though my family is concerned they are also very supportive.  We'll make it through this together.  It's a big step in my recovery.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:16 am

I've learned over the years that the more paperwork you bring, the more they love you because it's objective, it shows you're prepared, and that it's not your first rodeo.  Plus, the magic words "These are your copies."  Your credibility on everything subsequent is through the roof.

I would pass off as much anxiety to your family as you can.  I have no idea how anxiety affects a heart patient's chemicals.  Be positive.  Slay the dragon.  Have a beer.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:49 pm

I think you're getting good pacing advice. The pace team leaders at CIM are amazingly good, and they tend to run on gun time vs. chip time, so take that into account when it seems like they're taking that first downhill mile a little faster than you expect. Also, ease up on the climbs, pick it up on the downhills. That even effort level will put you in a good place once you hit that flat section after Mile 20.

I'm so excited for you. Save up all that nervous energy for the last push. You're well prepared and healthy. You've got this.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Excellent pacing advice - and don't leave that pacer until 22-23 miles just as Tim advised - and kick it in to home.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:59 pm

Thanks again Mark, Doug, Michele, and Tim.  I'll do my best to stick to the plan and hang with the pace team till the last couple miles.  I'm not good at patience but I'm getting better and have some negative splits to prove it.  Coach Tim has nicknamed me "Save it up Sammy" so I'll just have to live up to my new nick name.

We're headed out tomorrow morning after I finish packing and a couple office chores.  We'll drive 3/4 of the way and then stop for the night.  We'll finish up the drive early Saturday and I'll make sure I get a short shake out run in, pick up my packet and spend a couple minutes at the expo.  We have a huge rental house for the entire family for Saturday and Sunday nights.  It's in the country northeast of Sacramento. 

Oldest son, Gary is signed up to run his first marathon but he hasn't trained very well so we'll see how he goes.  Katie, Kevin and daughter-in-laws Natalie and Shannon are running the relay.  They ran the relay in 2009 as well.  Katie is not as prepared as she should be but the other three will do well so she'll have a huge cushion.  Last time we were able to cross the finish line together. 

I know you can see my time but I'll try and get a post or at least a text out to let you know I'm feeling fine. 

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

California here we come...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:26 am

Best of luck, Nancy!

Oh....one more thing.  When you talk to the race medical people at the Expo, ask them which hospital(s) would they take you to, should you have an event.  That way as part of Katie's distraction, she can map how to get to it on Saturday.

Then when you don't have an event, you can say to the family, "WHAT WERE Y'ALL WORRIED ABOUT??????"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next