365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 34 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Mark B wrote:Run: 3.3 miles

Weather: Near ideal. Partly sunny, 53, a light breeze. Gear: Altras, shorts, T.

Still trying to work out how to best fit running into my day, so I decided to try something I did sometimes when I was training for marathons several years ago: Running during my lunch break at work. I have been able to disappear for about 90 minutes to eat and walk for at least several days a week, so I wanted to see how running would fit in.

The run surprised me. My legs wanted to GO. I struggled to keep my pace over a 10-minute pace, even though I could feel fatigue building and saw my HR cooking along far higher than a target low HR pace. I even walked a bit to try to calm things down, but I eventually gave in and let it go. The odd thing is, it felt like an easy pace.

Mile 1: 10:33/149 av HR
Mile 2: 10:22/152 av HR
Mile 3: 10:35/157 av HR

I actually saw my HR zip over 170 a couple of times (though it didn't feel like I was anywhere near a max effort), so it was an interesting run.

No warm up, walked 5 minutes to cool down afterward. Average HR for entire run: 150

(I ended up back at my desk 15 minutes faster than when I'd walk, so there's time to squeeze in another mile when I'm ready.)

Training is so much more fun when the weather cooperates.  My guess is that your legs are hinting that it's time to get going again.  When a run feels easier than it actually is I think that's a sign that your body is ready, willing and able.  Hope the lunch run schedule works out well for you.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Run: 3.3 miles

Weather: Near ideal. Partly sunny, 53, a light breeze. Gear: Altras, shorts, T.

Still trying to work out how to best fit running into my day, so I decided to try something I did sometimes when I was training for marathons several years ago: Running during my lunch break at work. I have been able to disappear for about 90 minutes to eat and walk for at least several days a week, so I wanted to see how running would fit in.

The run surprised me. My legs wanted to GO. I struggled to keep my pace over a 10-minute pace, even though I could feel fatigue building and saw my HR cooking along far higher than a target low HR pace. I even walked a bit to try to calm things down, but I eventually gave in and let it go. The odd thing is, it felt like an easy pace.

Mile 1: 10:33/149 av HR
Mile 2: 10:22/152 av HR
Mile 3: 10:35/157 av HR

I actually saw my HR zip over 170 a couple of times (though it didn't feel like I was anywhere near a max effort), so it was an interesting run.

No warm up, walked 5 minutes to cool down afterward. Average HR for entire run: 150

(I ended up back at my desk 15 minutes faster than when I'd walk, so there's time to squeeze in another mile when I'm ready.)

Training is so much more fun when the weather cooperates.  My guess is that your legs are hinting that it's time to get going again.  When a run feels easier than it actually is I think that's a sign that your body is ready, willing and able.  Hope the lunch run schedule works out well for you.

Thanks, Nancy! I'm crossing my fingers that I might be able to do lunch runs on a M-W-F sequence, then run with Alita on the weekends. It definitely makes more alert for the second half of the day, though I have to make a point of sitting even less than usual. bounce

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 am

Run: 3.33 miles

Weather: Light overcast, mild. 56° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

Another lunch run, and I didn't do a better job of keeping my pace in check. I started to feel it a little bit later in Mile 3, so there's that. These are feeling more like LT runs than anything else. My muscles seem to like them, though.

Mile 1: 10:15/138 av HR
Mile 2: 9:44/159 av HR
Mile 3: 10:40/160 av HR

I hit a HR of 174 running up from the river to the office, which felt a bit more than comfortably hard, but far from sucking wind. Given that the charts say my MaxHR should be 166 now, I guess that means I'm younger than I think! ;-)

Very short warmup. Walked last 5 minutes to cool down.

Average HR for entire run: 150

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 pm

Walk: About 5 miles

Weather: Sunny, mild.

Alita and I dropped off the car to have the snow tires removed (finally), and decided to head out for a walk rather than sit around for the 2ish hours they said it'd take to get the work done. I remembered a way to get to a bike trail that went through the woods and into a greenway, and we had a nice time doing it. The highlight was getting a close look at a bald eagle as it surveyed the area from a tree above us, then took off soaring over the water. Nice.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:18 pm

What I did on my spring vacation...

We're just wrapping up spring vacation here in Washington, so I thought I'd fill you in on our activities.

Our big event was a two-night trip to Yachats on the Oregon Coast in the middle of the week. It's one of our favorite places, with rocks and surf outside the motel room and a big sandy beach a short walk away. (The motel and much of the town is built atop an ancient undersea lava flow, and you can see where the lava flow ends, just where the sandy beach begins.)

Tuesday: 1.2 mile walk on beach with Alita - we had Alec along for the start, but he headed back to the room and we kept going

Trails for Two - Page 34 29790410

Trails for Two - Page 34 29595310

Trails for Two - Page 34 29683010

Trails for Two - Page 34 29597710

Trails for Two - Page 34 29683511

Wednesday: 8 mile run on beach with Alita, plus additional playing around on a different beach a few miles south.

This was one of those runs that just kept on growing. It helped that Alita was finding sand dollars as we progressed up the beach, which encouraged more searching, and that our shoes were already wet after running through streams crossing the beach. We could feel it by the time we were done, but it was a highlight of the trip.

Trails for Two - Page 34 29790010

Trails for Two - Page 34 29792610

Trails for Two - Page 34 29791110

Trails for Two - Page 34 29793010

Trails for Two - Page 34 29694810

Trails for Two - Page 34 29792510

The surf was up while we were there, so it was fun to watch the waves.

Trails for Two - Page 34 19894510

Trails for Two - Page 34 29791610

Thursday: 3.2 mile mostly barefoot run/walk on beach with Alita

This was fun, though we got pretty wet on the way back, since rain set in.

We had a long drive home, went to bed, then got up the next day and drove to Eugene for a college visit at the University of Oregon. We walked about 4 miles around campus and generally enjoyed ourselves. Luckily, Alec didn't fall in love with the place, since out of state tuition is ruinously expensive. pale

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Low HR Run: 3.38 miles

Weather: Clear and mild. 64° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

We're trying an afterwork run series this week, and we picked a good day for it. Warm and clear. Nice.

We started off fast but faded quickly -- partly due to the 8 miles we did in one go last week, partly due to the fact that my running partner had forgotten to eat lunch today. Oops. Still, we were determined to do our three mile goal. We walked a bit to keep the effort level even, and we did about 3.4. Success.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR on entire run: 116

###

Earlier today, I did a 2.6 mile walk during lunch. It did make the evening run a bit more challenging.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Looks and sounds like an awesome Spring Break.  I love that area.  Where do you stay?

Even better that you were able to enjoy some running with Alita.  Maybe that's what you both need to get back on track.  Are you still planning to run the 25K on Mt. Hood?

It's slightly warmer here...but the wind has been atrocious!  Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 pm

It can't always be said that only boys play in water puddles.  I still say that first picture has "Write a meme for this picture" written all over it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:25 pm

nkrichards wrote:Looks and sounds like an awesome Spring Break.  I love that area.  Where do you stay?

Even better that you were able to enjoy some running with Alita.  Maybe that's what you both need to get back on track.  Are you still planning to run the 25K on Mt. Hood?

It's slightly warmer here...but the wind has been atrocious!  Stay safe.

It was a little windy for our run this evening, but not horribly so.

We're trying to get back into a rhythm of running. It's harder to do this time, but we're getting there.

Yes, we are still planning on doing the Mount Hood 25K. We're looking forward to it.

ounce wrote:It can't always be said that only boys play in water puddles.  I still say that first picture has "Write a meme for this picture" written all over it.

Nice idea! I'm thinking something like George Bernard Shaw's classic, "Youth is wasted on the young." Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Low HR Run: 3.39 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool, breezy. 50° Gear: Shorts, long-sleeved T, windbreaker.

It was kind of rainy yesterday, so we ditched running for what we'd hoped would be better conditions after work today. It was a good choice. The weather was good for running, if a little breezy, and we'd had enough food earlier in the day to not be bonking.

We averaged about an 11:30 pace, and my HR was cruising right at my target range. Alita handled the pace well -- I had to slow her down a few times -- and we ended it feeling pretty good.

Now the only challenge is figuring out dinner, since we got done about 8 o'clock.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 125

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Lowish HR Run: 3.61 miles

Weather: Rainy, cool. 48° Gear: Topos, pants, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat.

It was raining all day, so we finally gave up waiting and headed out knowing we'd get wet. Our paces weren't as good as yesterday and the HR climbed, but it was good to get something in.

Just as we stopped our run, it stopped raining.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for the entire run: 124

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Nice to see that you and Alita are getting out there again...in the rain so less.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Barefoot run with Alita: 2.1 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild. 52° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, windbreaker

My feet were itching to go out naked today, and Alita was game to give it a try. We kept mostly to the neighborhood but varied our sensory diet with different types of pavement. She did very well! My feet enjoyed it a lot, too.

We kept the pace very easy and relaxed and worked at making it fun.

Average HR for entire run: 136. (only walked at the end)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am

I can't imagine getting out there barefoot...especially in the weather we've been having lately...but it's good to hear that you guys are getting out there and enjoying it.  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:39 am

nkrichards wrote:I can't imagine getting out there barefoot...especially in the weather we've been having lately...but it's good to hear that you guys are getting out there and enjoying it.  Running

It was fun! It was cool but dry. Alita did a great job. She had a teensy little hot spot on one toe, but she realized it was because of her form... which is exactly what running barefoot is supposed to teach you: how to improve your form. We also got a couple of fun comments from passers-by, which is always nice.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 am

Sorta speedwork: 2.06 miles

Weather: Clear, mild. 62° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

We just weren't feeling it on our evening run -- couldn't get into the notion of running at a steady pace -- so I suggested that we try some short bursts ... and Alita took off.

We cracked a 9-minute pace in the first one. On the second, we cracked 7.

The repeats weren't long -- a little over 100 yards usually -- and we ratcheted back before we started sucking wind. So they were more strides than speedwork. But still. It was fun to do something different... and Alita seemed to agree. She kept wanting to go-go-go even as I was trying to get us to do a cooldown walk.

Just wait until I take her to the track.

Average HR for entire run: 103. Max HR: 141 (told you we weren't sucking wind).

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Uptempo Run: 3.36 miles

Weather: Mixed overcast, mild. 60° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

Out at lunch again today, and as usual, my legs wanted to go fast. So fast that I wasn't sure if my HR strap was freaking out on me early on or if I was really pushing 174 bpm. I concluded that the strap was glitching, because I wasn't sucking wind massively. So I kept going. My paces were 10:06 for the first mile, 9:32 for the second, and 9:52 for the third, when I tried to even out the effort level a bit. I still pushed up the hill to work, though, and saw my HR hit 177. That's 11 bpm above what the formula says my HRmax should be, and I could tell I wasn't close to maxing out.

It was a fun run, and I can really feel runs like these muscularly in the glutes afterward. Who knew growing a butt would have this impact?

Walked 5 minutes to cool down afterward. Average HR for entire run: 155. Max: 177 (not a glitch)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:01 am

So...if I'm reading these last couple posts correctly...

Fast Freddy has taken an interest in barefoot running and set up residence on Alita's shoulder.  He's welcome to stay.  Please don't send him home.

AND...you are now officially a pain in the butt after every run? Running cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:So...if I'm reading these last couple posts correctly...

Fast Freddy has taken an interest in barefoot running and set up residence on Alita's shoulder.  He's welcome to stay.  Please don't send him home.

We will put Fast Freddy through his paces. No worries. And what do you mean "now"? Laughing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Trail Run: 4.43 miles (or somesuch - the trees mess with the GPS chip in my old school Garmin)

Weather: Sunny and mild. 53° Gear: Topos (non trail), shorts, T.

We were planning to head down to the Salmon Creek Greenway for a slightly longer run today, but the parking area was jammed and we were feeling antisocial. So we headed over to Whipple Creek Park and ran in the woods.

We had our Topo road shoes on, but they handled the terrain just fine, and it's been dry enough lately that there weren't any bad mud patches to navigate.

The run went well. My HR strap went nutzo on me, so I think the transmitter needs a new battery. Either that or I got in really good shape really quickly. Going from running in the mid 130s to 109 just like that while running the same pace? That'd be... surprising.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run is purportedly 121

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Mark B wrote:

We will put Fast Freddy through his paces. No worries. And what do you mean "now"? Laughing
Usually, there's a review process to confirm Pain In The Butt status.  We don't want to be mean or too realistic, after all.

Butt in your case, we've made an exception.  By unanimous vote, you are officially a Pain In The Butt.  And may God have mercy on the souls with whom you interact, like ours.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:58 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Usually, there's a review process to confirm Pain In The Butt status.  We don't want to be mean or too realistic, after all.

Butt in your case, we've made an exception.  By unanimous vote, you are officially a Pain In The Butt.  And may God have mercy on the souls with whom you interact, like ours.
It was all the glute exercises that did it Doug.  I think he did one to many of those arabesque exercises...

And he's proud of his new butt status..."It was a fun run, and I can really feel runs like these muscularly in the glutes afterward. Who knew growing a butt would have this impact?"

Alita and Alec have suspected all along...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:01 am

By the way, I passed a guy very early on at Boston that was running barefoot.  I wonder if he finished since I suspect that his feet were like prunes at mile 7 or 8!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:50 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Aw, you guys are the best!  flower

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

It was all the glute exercises that did it Doug.  I think he did one to many of those arabesque exercises...

And he's proud of his new butt status..."It was a fun run, and I can really feel runs like these muscularly in the glutes afterward. Who knew growing a butt would have this impact?"

Alita and Alec have suspected all along...

Those glute exercises really did do it, Nancy. Which means I need to get back to doing them, pronto, before my body reverts back to old (bad) habits.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:By the way, I passed a guy very early on at Boston that was running barefoot.  I wonder if he finished since I suspect that his feet were like prunes at mile 7 or 8!

Holy maceration, Batman! I've found that running too far barefoot when it's too wet softens the skin and can cause problems. But maybe this runner's feet has tougher, more waterproof hide than I do? At least he didn't have to worry about blisters from running in wet socks, though!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Warm Run: 3.4 miles

Weather: Clear and warm. 79° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

A warm snap hit our area, so we're getting a brief taste of summer. This was the hottest weather we've run in since the Elijah Bristow 12 Hour last June. We could tell the difference, but it wasn't bad -- and it sure beat being cold!

We ran at about a 11:30 pace but needed a couple of walking breaks. My HR strap with its new battery was screwy at first but then settled down and showed nice steady results right at about my target. Given the temperature, that was a pleasant surprise.

Walked first and last 5 minutes or so. Average HR for entire run: 122

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next