365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mulligan...

+3
KBFitz
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Mulligan... - Page 16 Empty Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am

Don't know about you, but I always seem tired when I get in the pool, but I usually make it through the workout and at the paces I had hoped to achieve.  

Sounds like an eventful week with the Grandkids - how fun.  Not sure if I wish or don't wish to have Grandkids, but at any rate, I won't see any for at least another 10 yrs.

Good to see the HR coming down - I'm sure the flu had a lot to do with it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Don't know about you, but I always seem tired when I get in the pool, but I usually make it through the workout and at the paces I had hoped to achieve.  

Sounds like an eventful week with the Grandkids - how fun.  Not sure if I wish or don't wish to have Grandkids, but at any rate, I won't see any for at least another 10 yrs.

Good to see the HR coming down - I'm sure the flu had a lot to do with it.

Thanks Michele.

I've always found swim workouts to be good recovery workouts even when they are hard effort.  I guess it's because there is no pavement pounding.  Tim has us up to 2500-3000 yards most days which usually takes me an hour plus some.  My legs may get in some recovery but it's still a tough workout.

Grandkids are great fun...and exhausting!

Speaking of exhausting...I was feeling the efforts of the first part of the week yesterday.  Fortunately Thursdays are slightly easier days.

• Bike 11.5 miles to/from pool.  Slow due to exhaustion and a headwind on the way home.
  • Pilates
  • Aqua Jog 45 minutes

Mini taper started.  I tried to rein in my effort level yesterday.  I was pretty stiff, sore, and tired.  Pilates and aqua jogging helped loosen me up a bit.  Office work today...no training.  Saturday afternoon Katie and I will head over the mountain so we can pick up our race packets and get in a shake out walk/run before heading to bed.  I'm signed up for the half on Sunday...Katie is walking the 5K.  My goal is to run...I use that word with caution...at an easy long run training pace.  I already warned Katie that if necessary I may walk a bit.  I'm not ready to run a half.  I'm struggling to accept the paces that I'm able to run at this point.  I get it mentally but it's hard to admit that I'm getting older and significantly slower.  I'm determined to continue this adventure and in order to do that I need to accept and embrace my speed or lack thereof. 

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Cheesy venues are platinum venues, when they don't know any better!

I don't have to worry about getting significantly slower, I was already there.

Hope you did well on the Half!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:32 pm

ounce wrote:Cheesy venues are platinum venues, when they don't know any better!

I don't have to worry about getting significantly slower, I was already there.

Hope you did well on the Half!

It's not to tough to impress a 3 year old and a 5 year old!

So...the Half...it was my slowest ever and I couldn't be more pleased with it!

2:13:26 Pace 10:11
Overall 225/378
Female 109/226
Female Masters 46/107
55-59 AG 5/16 (I'm looking forward to turning 60!)

And my splits:
10:38
10:39
10:38
10:53 (Heartbreak Hill)
10:13
10:06
10:27
10:28
10:32
10:06
9:24
9:27
9:04
Finish @ 7:23

I was expecting a pace closer to 11:00.  Considering my only runs over 5 miles have been one 7 mile run and one 10 mile run and I took a two day taper I couldn't be more pleased.  I didn't push hard and my HR was at a reasonable rate.  Average HR 161 on the Vivo which tends to record high.  I didn't wear my chest strap.  I was cautious on Heartbreak Hill.  It's timed separately but they haven't posted those results yet.  The pace ups and downs are due to elevation changes.  I kept the effort pretty constant until mile 11.  I was feeling good so I pushed the pace a bit.  I caught up with a walker during mile 12 and when I started to pass him he returned to running.  I sped up and so did he.  We ended up pacing each other to a very fast last mile.  I couldn't pass but I wouldn't quit trying.  He obviously felt the same.  We didn't speak...I don't think either of us could!  We did high five at the finish line.  I looked his number up later.  He's from Portland and is 57. 

As I mentioned I was VERY pleased with the results.  I finished feeling really good.  My legs are a bit tired but I don't feel at all like I pushed to hard.  I hate to "settle" for a slower pace but I'm trying to be a bit more realistic and that was what I was able to do safely today.

It's a really fun event.  I saw Dr. Beckerman and said 'hi' before the start but we didn't get a chance to talk afterward.  I'm so impressed with the work that Dr. B does with his Heart to Start group.  They meet every week for 12 weeks.  Most are first time 5K participants who just got off the couch.  They were all there in their shirts and he was right there cheering them on...and running.  His race has really grown as many of the participants return every year and move up in distance.  Very well supported race with sausage and eggs at the finish!

Katie drove me over.  She caught up with friends while I rested at the hotel last night.  One of her friends joined us this morning and walked the 5K with her.  They both met me at the finish.  It was a fun day.

Back to tri training...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Congrats on a well run race!   I know exactly how you feel though as I had a similar experience during my last race (15K) that I used as a workout and even in the horrid rain, it went as planned.  It is always nice when it comes together, isn't it?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats on a well run race!   I know exactly how you feel though as I had a similar experience during my last race (15K) that I used as a workout and even in the horrid rain, it went as planned.  It is always nice when it comes together, isn't it?

Thanks Michele.  Yes, it was a nice feeling to do as well...or better...than expected.  I will admit that Monday and even today my legs have been pretty sore.  Not surprised as I didn't have the miles on them that I normally would.  But cardio wise I was pleasantly surprised and didn't have that total body exhaustion feeling that I often have after a really tough race.  Maybe all the core and strength work I've been doing are paying off.

Now I'm wondering...did I let unjustified fear temper my expectations way more than needed?  In other words did I dog it?  You know me...I'm not sure I've accepted the "you paced that well" scenario.  Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?  Have I subconsciously been using the "I have a cardiac condition" excuse?  Have I given up and conceded that I'm getting to old to improve?  Definitely overthinking this!  I accomplished my goal and then some.  I need to accept and enjoy that feeling.

Monday - Core/strength

• TBC
  • Swim 2500 yds

Tuesday - Pilates

• Aqua Jog 45 minutes

I had more on my training schedule today but opted to give my body a bit more recovery time.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats on a well run race!   I know exactly how you feel though as I had a similar experience during my last race (15K) that I used as a workout and even in the horrid rain, it went as planned.  It is always nice when it comes together, isn't it?

Thanks Michele.  Yes, it was a nice feeling to do as well...or better...than expected.  I will admit that Monday and even today my legs have been pretty sore.  Not surprised as I didn't have the miles on them that I normally would.  But cardio wise I was pleasantly surprised and didn't have that total body exhaustion feeling that I often have after a really tough race.  Maybe all the core and strength work I've been doing are paying off.

Now I'm wondering...did I let unjustified fear temper my expectations way more than needed?  In other words did I dog it?  You know me...I'm not sure I've accepted the "you paced that well" scenario.  Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?  Have I subconsciously been using the "I have a cardiac condition" excuse?  Have I given up and conceded that I'm getting to old to improve?  Definitely overthinking this!  I accomplished my goal and then some.  I need to accept and enjoy that feeling.

Monday - Core/strength

• TBC
  • Swim 2500 yds

Tuesday - Pilates

• Aqua Jog 45 minutes

I had more on my training schedule today but opted to give my body a bit more recovery time.

Ultreya...
Gratz on that race!  Seems like you, Miche1e, and I have all had good races at shorter distances, recently.

As far as your questions, yes to all except, "Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?"  Fast Freddy would actually say, "Hell, no!"

I just think you needed a new North Star.  You now have a starting point for the future with the results of this race.  A new frame of reference.  Now, get busy!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm

ounce wrote:
Gratz on that race!  Seems like you, Miche1e, and I have all had good races at shorter distances, recently.

As far as your questions, yes to all except, "Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?"  Fast Freddy would actually say, "Hell, no!"

I just think you needed a new North Star.  You now have a starting point for the future with the results of this race.  A new frame of reference.  Now, get busy!
 Thanks Doug.  This training/racing stuff is as much mental as it is physical and I seem to handle the physical part better than the mental part.  Damn that Fast Freddy...he's always getting involved somehow.  I am enjoying tri training even if it is at slower paces than I'd like.

Full day today.

• Core/strength with Marty.  We've been up to full reps for a couple weeks.
  • TBC   Tough class today.  We tried some new things that were challenging.  We laid on our back on the bosu ball and tried to hold our body level.  Sara said to picture flying down the track on the skeleton.  And we added a challenge to Mark's arabesque exercises...as we returned to the upright position we were supposed to take a short hop on one leg.  I got better but it took some practice.  Sara also let us try out the new machine they use for training the swim team.  http://www.vasatrainer.com  Our model is less expensive and doesn't have the bells and whistles but it's challenging!
  • Swim 2800 yds.  Maura and I both groaned when we saw the swim workout but we made it!  After a 700 yd warmup we started at 300 yards and went down the ladder to 50 yards and then back up to 300.  Tim is definitely going to have us ready for the swim portion of the tri!

I still don't feel fully recovered from the half so I've avoided running and biking this first part of the week.  I feel like the core and strength work, swimming and aqua jogging have been enough.  But I am getting antsy and want to get back out there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 pm

This weather is making it tough.  40 mph winds one day.  15 degrees the next!  Can't bike outdoors in those conditions.

Thur - Pilates

• Aqua Jog 45 minutes
  • Bike 12.2  Slower than I'd like but it was a bit windy and I still didn't feel fully recovered from the half.

Fri - Trip to the valley for equipment parts and then lunch with Mom.  Long day and lots of sitting!

Sat - Eagle Bakery Run  I got in 4.7 miles at a 10:01 pace and that included the M hill.  Pushed a bit harder than I intended but I got caught up running with Maura.  She slowed down for me and I didn't push hard enough to be a problem. Avg HR 158 so not terrible.  Brought cinnamon rolls home to share with the grandkids.

Sun - Wind was howling, dust was blowing, snow was predicted.  Finally relented and did an indoor workout.  30 minutes on the bike trainer with some longish intervals on the big ring (slightly slower cadence but harder to work on my leg muscles).  Followed that with 30 minutes on the TM including two 5 minute progressions that had me sweating.  Then I jumped back on the bike for a repeat of the 30 minute workout.  My legs were grumbling at first but I settled in and finished the ride at a slightly higher cadence even with the big ring intervals.

Mon - Core/strength

• TBC
  • Swim 2350 yds.  Still not as fast as I was pre-pneumonia...
  • Considering a TM run...or I may wait till tomorrow so I can go watch the boys swim.

Brrrrrr
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:01 pm

I did decide to skip the TM run on Monday and watch the boys swim lesson.  They are making good progress...fun to see and lots of young folks there that I knew so I was glad I went.

Tues - Pilates and Aqua jogging cancelled

• 60 min "SufferFest" on the bike trainer.  I remembered I had a video in the drawer that came with my bike trainer.  Glad I dug it out.  It's much easier to stay on task when someone is telling you what to do!  Much easier to stay on the bike longer and a much more beneficial workout.
  • 5 mi w/6x400  It warmed up enough to get outside (37 degrees).  I decided to see what happened when I tried an interval workout knowing that it would be my first since last October and that I had already completed a tough bike workout.  It went better than expected.  I was able to keep all the intervals under a 9:00 pace and my HR wasn't ridiculously high.

Wed - Core/strength

• TBC
  • Swim 2350 yds  Getting a bit closer to my pre-pneumonia splits...

Thur - Pilates

• Aqua Jog
  • 50 minutes on the bike trainer.  I streamed a "Strength & Power" workout.  Trashed my legs but I guess that was the point.

Started the day with our Core/strength workout.  I'll head to swimming later this morning and if the weather and my legs cooperate I'll try to get an outdoor run in this afternoon.  It was -1 when we woke up this morning.  If it doesn't get close to 32 I'll forgo the run and/or if the roads are icy I'll probably stay inside.  I don't want to take a chance of slipping.

Got in some good workouts in the last few days.  Pleased with the trend...lower RHR, slightly faster swim splits, more quality time on the bike, a higher quality run.  I'm encouraged and aware that I need to watch for signs of overtraining.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 pm

It's been a busy time!

Fri - Core/strength

• Swim 2700 yards.  Tough workout but I did OK.
  • 6 easy miles

Sat - Bike trainer day.  60 minute interval video plus an extra 10 minute easy cool down.  Then lunch followed by a 30 minute recovery video.  I've struggled to get miles on the bike.  This worked well.

Sun - Family stuff which included a drive to Ridgefield in Mark's neck of the woods.  Terrible weather forecast but we dodged the worst of the storm and made it over the mountain and back with minimal delays.

Mon - Core/strength

• TBC  Love this!
  • Swim 2200 yds.  Including 16 x 100.  Paces OK but this was mentally a tough workout. 
  • Threw a toothbrush and clean undies in a bag and Marty and I headed out to get some farm errands done.  5 1/2 hours of driving today.  We had to tow the trailer so it wasn't a fast trip but the weather was good and the scenery gorgeous.  (Ontario via Burns) Overnight in Ontario.

Tue - The second half of our farm errands.  Business in Ontario and then we were off to Hermiston for an additional stop.  Total of 7 hours of driving.  Weather cooperated again.  Home at 3:45.  Running shoes on by 4:00

• 5 easy miles
  • Bike 60 minutes interval video

Wed - Core/strength

• TBC  Last class in this session.
  • Swim 2200 yds
  • Bike 50 minutes interval video

Thur - Pilates

• Aqua Jog 45 minutes
  • 5 mi w/4x800.  Goal was to push the pace a bit but not to hard.  Averaged 4:25 (@8:51).  Outdoors on rolling hills.  Happy with that at this point in time.

Started the day with Core/strength.  Off to swimming later this morning.  I'm pretty pooped and I'm starting to see a slight rise in my RHR.  I'm thinking that after swimming I'm going to take it easy and possibly even take a nap if I can.  Windy today so it's a good day to step back and take it easy.  Weather looks good this weekend.  Maybe I can get in an outdoor bike ride.

It snowed again last night.  I'm ready for some nicer weather!  Notice I didn't say Spring weather...in Central Oregon that means WIND!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:51 pm

You're sticking with it!  It looks like we have a similar weather situation...it sucks. 

Seems like your HR is a fortune teller for what's going on. 

I've never towed a trailer before, but I sure love either riding or driving!  Of course, it's flat to rolling only.  I noticed you mentioned the weather was good enough to drive the distance.  What weather would keep y'all from driving with a trailer?

A sweet __________ always works on the grandkids.

How's Augie doing and what does he enjoy doing best that might even help you out?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:28 am

ounce wrote:You're sticking with it!  It looks like we have a similar weather situation...it sucks. 

Seems like your HR is a fortune teller for what's going on. 

I've never towed a trailer before, but I sure love either riding or driving!  Of course, it's flat to rolling only.  I noticed you mentioned the weather was good enough to drive the distance.  What weather would keep y'all from driving with a trailer?

A sweet __________ always works on the grandkids.

How's Augie doing and what does he enjoy doing best that might even help you out?

I've managed to sneak in a few outdoor workouts but it's been tough.

Watching my HR.  Yes, it does seem to remind me when I need to ease up a bit.

It was a nice drive.  Quite scenic and not to much traffic.  The issues with the trailer are snow & ice...and the other idiot drivers...  There was a short distance where the roads looked like they might be icy but for the most part they were dry.  We didn't want to have to put on chains so we tried to make sure we went when the roads would be clear.  Driving is dangerous enough but when you put snow and ice in the mix you never know.  People drive like the roads are dry and pass when they have no business passing!  The road we were on was closed two days after our trip due to an accident caused by the ice.

Augie is doing well.  He's accepted his assignment to lay around and bark when appropriate.

Fri - Core/strength

• Swim 2500 yds

Sat - 8.75 miles.  8.5 @ long run pace followed by .25 cool down walk.  Avg HR 150...not great but very acceptable.

Sun - We had an opportunity to watch Emma (oldest grandchild) play volleyball.  She's improved significantly!  I was a bit frustrated as the weather was so nice but I think the forced day off was good for me.

Mon - Core/strength

• Swim 2400 yds
  • Outdoor bike ride!  I mounted my new aerobars and water bottle.  Kept the effort moderate as I played with my new toys.  Definitely need to make some adjustments and practice, practice, practice.  You lose some stability when you go to the aerobars.  I think I'm going to like them once I feel more comfortable with them.  I ended up getting in 15 miles and it was sure nice to be able to ride outdoors!

Walking a fine line between doing enough to prepare for my 70.3 and doing to much.  So far I feel like I'm doing OK.  I'm keeping an eye on my RHR for guidance.  It's a big time commitment but I'm enjoying it.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:23 am

Wow, a forced day off?  Good weather to bike with news toys?

Maybe the Force is not as strong with Fast Freddy, these days.  Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:50 pm

ounce wrote:Wow, a forced day off?  Good weather to bike with news toys?

Maybe the Force is not as strong with Fast Freddy, these days.  Approval

I needed the day off Doug.  Good thing I was forced to take it as Fast Freddy was very frustrated. I guess it's good that the force (family) are still stronger than Freddy!

Tues - Pilates

• 5 miles w/2x1  First interval was pretty rough (9:13) as I got a late start and was having trouble with my other new toy...a Garmin 920XT I'll figure out how to use it correctly after a few more tries.  I settled into the second interval and managed 9:01.

Wed - Core/strength

• Swim 2600 yds including 15x100.  Pace and endurance is slowly starting to return.
  • Bike 15  Still adjusting my aerobars.

Thur - Pilates

• 5 very windy miles.  I thought I was going to blow away!

Fri - Core/strength

• Swim 1700 yds.  Struggled a bit today.  Glad I opted for a shorter swim.
  • 8.25 miles with 8 @ 10:44  Started easy and sped up a bit with each mile.  Finished much better than I expected.

Sat - Bike 28 miles.  Weather wasn't as good as I hoped but it was better than it has been so off I went.  I rode the scenic overlook route.  Mountains were gorgeous.  I saw a herd of deer.  It was pretty breezy at times but oh well.  I spent more time in the aerobars and also practiced drinking on the go.  My speed wasn't where I'd like to see it for the race but it was a huge improvement over my last long outdoor ride over a month ago. 

Sun - Mom's 80'th birthday party.  We weren't able to get the entire family together but most of us made it.  At Mom's request we kept it very casual with just family.  Even though she insisted we didn't need to have a party I think she was glad we made the effort.  Bonus was I caught up with some nieces and nephews I don't get to see often.  Weather was nice enough to allow the little kids to play outside.  We got a couple group photos.  And the cake was good!

I spent a couple afternoons in the tractor last week...things are getting busy...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Woohoo!  You are getting very thick in your endurance.

Good luck at staying healthy!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:25 am

ounce wrote:Woohoo!  You are getting very thick in your endurance.

Good luck at staying healthy!

Thanks Doug...last week was a good week for training.  I've had trouble fitting training in this week. Crying or Very sad

So here's my training last week:
Mon - Core/strength, Swim 2100 yds, Bike 15 miles
Tue - Pilates, 6 miles w/8x400  (Pretty happy with this run!)
Wed - Core/strength, Swim 2000 yds (Sara helped me with my stroke today)
Thur - Pilates, Brick w/15 mile bike & 3 mile run (Nice!)
Fri - Early morning blood draw, Swim 1850 yds (race pace stuff)
Sat - Core/strength
Sun - Bike 42 miles  Other than getting stuck at the train crossing and having to backtrack several miles to a crossing that wasn't blocked this was a fantastic ride!  Got some time in the aerobars...feeling more comfortable.  And practiced drinking on the bike.

And then this week:
Mon - Core/strength, Swim 2250 yds, Tractor time
Tues - Pilates, Tractor time, Brick w/15 mile bike & 5 mile run  Run was tough but overall great workout!
Wed - Core/strength, Swim 1450  Janice and I decided to do a timed 500.  I did OK considering the training I did the day before...and the early hour that we swam...but Janice beat my socks off!  Had the boys the rest of the day.  Grandkids are hard work!
Thur - One hour swim.  Another early morning swim.  Janice and I decided to try swimming for an hour without stopping.  We swam 2850 yards and finished side by side.  This was a PR for Janice.  She did well.  I got in 3000 yards when I was healthy and fit so it wasn't my best swim but I'm OK with it all things considered.  Trip to the valley for family and farm errands.

As you can see between time on the tractor, family obligations, and the weather I haven't been able to get in the runs and rides that I'd like to.  Guess this is going to be a step back week like it or not!  I have 18 family members coming for stuffed pork chops tomorrow.  It's our annual family birthday celebration...most of the birthdays are in the spring and it's to hard to celebrate each individually.  The stuffed pork chops are a family tradition.  Anyway...I'll be spending the day today grocery shopping and preparing for tomorrow.  I'm antsy to get out and train after the positive week I had last week...

Blood test results...this was a follow up test to see how I was doing on only 10mg of Atorvastatin.  The good news is that my liver enzymes are back in the normal range...still at the high end of normal but much better than the earlier tests.  The bad news is that my LDL numbers are up...

• Total 196
  • LDL   103
  • HDL    78
  • Tri      83

Pretty happy with the HDL number.  Dr. B is concerned about the LDL number...and the total which is silly because it is high because of the HDLs.  We messaged back and forth a couple times and came up with a compromise.  He's not comfortable with me staying at 10mg because of my history and risk factors.  I'm not totally opposed but I am a bit nervous about going back to 20mg if my liver enzymes are going to shoot right back up.  So...we're going to alternate 10mg and 20mg for an effective dosage of 15mg for a couple months and then retest and see where I'm at.  I'm OK with that decision.

I don't know if I like having all this medical information.  My test results flagged my Potassium levels.  They came in at 5.7 (normal range 3.6-5.1).  And my GFR numbers are borderline low.  GFR is an estimation of kidney function.  High potassium levels can be caused by poor kidney function so I mentioned those numbers to Dr. B.  He's not concerned with the kidney function numbers and thinks the potassium level is related to my love of bananas and the consumption of electrolytes during training.  He said to watch the potassium intake...is there a product that provides the energy I need and doesn't contain potassium?? 

I'll talk to my primary care doctor about the numbers next week and see what his thoughts are.  Marty had to make a trip in to see him last week.  His lungs have been congested and making life miserable since our return from Nepal (after all the drugs he was on in Nepal wore off).  Dr. Plant thinks it's a combination of lingering affects of pneumonia but primarily asthma that is aggravated by being indoors in the winter.  He said most people's symptoms increase in the spring but he spent some time looking through Marty's chart and said there is an obvious pattern of problems in the winter when he's indoors more often.  The main reason that I mention this is because he did say that the affects of pneumonia last for a minimum of 6 weeks and often up to 6 months.  So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's taking some time for me to see improved paces.  That doesn't mean that I'm not frustrated but...

Wind is howling and it's trying to snow...not the best training day...I'm headed to the grocery store!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:51 am

Yii. I can see what you mean about the possibility of having too much information.

Pneumonia can be a bear. I hope Marty's doctor is considering all the possibilities and not just blowing him off.

There are lots of electrolyte supplements that don't really boost potassium. I believe S-Caps are one type. Check the labels!

Erratic spring weather can make training rough. But you're in a good position for your tri. (And good job on that half!)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:35 am

Mark B wrote:Yii. I can see what you mean about the possibility of having too much information.

Pneumonia can be a bear. I hope Marty's doctor is considering all the possibilities and not just blowing him off.

There are lots of electrolyte supplements that don't really boost potassium. I believe S-Caps are one type. Check the labels!

Erratic spring weather can make training rough. But you're in a good position for your tri. (And good job on that half!)

Yea...I pride myself on being informed and involved in my healthcare decisions but....

Marty was quite impressed with the preparation and time that our primary care physician invested in his care.  That's a nice change isn't it.  He does have asthma issues but is starting to accept and understand his situation much better.

I'll start looking into ways to ingest the energy that I need without overdoing it on the electrolytes.  My salt is also at the high end and if Doug's info on potassium/salt is correct I don't really need to supplement either one except possibly during really long events.

Farming and family stuff are getting in my way as much or more than the weather.  I did take a few minutes to total my swim/bike/run training and compare it to my training schedule.  While I haven't always been able to do things as scheduled I'm not as far behind as I thought.  I've spent more time in the pool than scheduled.  I've done a good job getting the running in...just slightly above the training goal.  Unfortunately biking is a different story.  If I look at my totals as compared to the training schedule I've only invested half the time that I should have.  Oh well...I knew that was the case and I'm trying to make biking the priority now that the weather is starting to improve.  It's a pretty aggressive training schedule so I didn't expect to meet/exceed the goals especially in the biking.  I'll finish and hopefully I'll have fun doing it.

So... here's how I finished out the week...

Fri - Prep for family pork chop day

Sat - Core/strength, prepare and serve stuffed pork chops (they turned out great!), 5 mi w/2x1  After family headed home I had time to sneak in a run before it got dark.  Wasn't sure how it would go and I did struggle to get warmed up and ready...the spitting snow didn't help.  I managed to complete the 1 mile intervals in 9:00 and 8:58...well within the goal range of 8:43-9:06.

Sun - 11 miles.  I struggled to get going on this run.  I was a bit more sore than expected after my run the evening before.  Took off pretty conservatively and managed to pick the pace up just a bit after refueling at the end of the first loop.  Pace 10:57  HR 146

I took Monday off to catch up on farm stuff and need to drive tractor most of the day today but I will take time to get some training in after lunch.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:35 am

You're right, Nancy, you don't need a whole lot of salt, because you'll just sweat or pee it off.  Potassium determines salt level.  The below link from Harvard is the link I provided a month or so ago.  So, maybe re-read it because of the info plus the foods they list.

Because of cost, manufacturers don't put much potassium in electrolyte stuff.  A pound of salt is 90 cents (I finally looked) and a pound of potassium citrate is around $12 a pound.

So, check out the below link again.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sodium-potassium-balance/
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:20 pm

ounce wrote:You're right, Nancy, you don't need a whole lot of salt, because you'll just sweat or pee it off.  Potassium determines salt level.  The below link from Harvard is the link I provided a month or so ago.  So, maybe re-read it because of the info plus the foods they list.

Because of cost, manufacturers don't put much potassium in electrolyte stuff.  A pound of salt is 90 cents (I finally looked) and a pound of potassium citrate is around $12 a pound.

I haven't had a ton of time but I'm looking into products that will provide the energy that I need without to much sodium and potassium.  A friend uses Heed and it looks like a reasonable option but it's recommended for activities less than 2-3 hours.  Perpetuem is the Hammer product recommended for longer events.  I haven't found the potassium level in that product yet...Maura said it doesn't taste very good.  I've still got time to do some research and experiment but I can't wait to long.

I did find some info on Gatorade Endurance which is the product used on the coarse on race day...it advertises the fact that it provides triple the sodium and potassium in regular Gatorade...not good.  I think I'll try to carry most of what I need.

I think I can tolerate a bit of potassium in whatever product I chose but think I should find a product that doesn't provide to much.  I don't really want to change my diet as there are other things in the foods I eat that I do want and need.  It is funny that many of the foods I love are on the high potassium list.  My go to snacks are bananas and cashews.  I consume a fair bit of green tea.  And may of the fruits and vegies we eat on a regular basis are high in potassium. 

I'm way to busy right now...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:55 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:You're right, Nancy, you don't need a whole lot of salt, because you'll just sweat or pee it off.  Potassium determines salt level.  The below link from Harvard is the link I provided a month or so ago.  So, maybe re-read it because of the info plus the foods they list.

I haven't had a ton of time but I'm looking into products that will provide the energy that I need without to much sodium and potassium.  A friend uses Heed and it looks like a reasonable option but it's recommended for activities less than 2-3 hours.  Perpetuem is the Hammer product recommended for longer events.  I haven't found the potassium level in that product yet...Maura said it doesn't taste very good.  I've still got time to do some research and experiment but I can't wait to long.

I did find some info on Gatorade Endurance which is the product used on the coarse on race day...it advertises the fact that it provides triple the sodium and potassium in regular Gatorade...not good.  I think I'll try to carry most of what I need.

I think I can tolerate a bit of potassium in whatever product I chose but think I should find a product that doesn't provide to much.  I don't really want to change my diet as there are other things in the foods I eat that I do want and need.  It is funny that many of the foods I love are on the high potassium list.  My go to snacks are bananas and cashews.  I consume a fair bit of green tea.  And may of the fruits and vegies we eat on a regular basis are high in potassium. 

I think all Hammer products are an acquired taste. I've used HEED before, and it took some getting used to.

Here's the link to Perpetuem, which, as you say is what they suggest for multi-hour events.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/perpetuem/

It has 80 mg of potassium (2% of RDA) per serving, and 210 mg of sodium (9% of RDA). Not horrible.

Another option with less potassium but more sodium is GU Roctane energy drink. I've had it at an ultra. I hated the stuff, and it made my pee smell like chemicals, but somebody must like it because it's still out there... Here's a link: https://shop.guenergy.com/products/roctane-energy-drink-mix?variant=36787975821

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I think all Hammer products are an acquired taste. I've used HEED before, and it took some getting used to.

Here's the link to Perpetuem, which, as you say is what they suggest for multi-hour events.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/perpetuem/

It has 80 mg of potassium (2% of RDA) per serving, and 210 mg of sodium (9% of RDA). Not horrible.

Another option with less potassium but more sodium is GU Roctane energy drink. I've had it at an ultra. I hated the stuff, and it made my pee smell like chemicals, but somebody must like it because it's still out there... Here's a link: https://shop.guenergy.com/products/roctane-energy-drink-mix?variant=36787975821

This is all very confusing to me! 

Hammer products use soy protein during exercise and whey protein during recovery.  They also are adamant that you not consume simple sugars during exercise so they use only Maltodextrin.  They also say that their endurance products do not contain preservatives so they sour after 5-6 hours...I'll be out there 7 hours.  Sara and Maura both use Hammer products.

I asked the cardiac athlete group and got a recommendation for Infinit  https://www.infinitnutrition.us  They offer custom blends so would take one of their products and mix it with less potassium for me.  I've ordered a packet of off the shelf Go Far for Women to try before I ask for a custom mix.  They use whey protein in their endurance products and a combination of simple sugars along with Maltodextrin.  Their off the shelf product is a bit higher in sodium and potassium than Hammer products. but not nearly as high as Gatorade Endurance.

During my brief research time I've found conflicting studies concerning soy vs whey protein and also conflicting recommendations concerning simple vs complex sugars.  It's all very confusing and of course each company recommends and provides studies that support their product ingredient choices.

To complicate matters I got lots of good input from the cardiac athlete group...figure out why...maybe it's normal for you body...etc.  I think I've eliminated the concern that it may be a kidney function issue.  AND I've been having trouble with cramping the last few days and I haven't even changed anything much yet!  I'm wondering if this isn't something I should just ignore???  History shows that my potassium has always been at the higher end or slightly above normal.  Maybe it is just my bodies normal.

I do need to choose and practice with an endurance product sooner rather than later.  The event is 8 weeks away. I can't see the logistics of carrying a liquid product during the run working for me.  My tentative plan...subject to change...is to choose a product that contains protein (Hammer's Perpetuem or  Infinit's Go Far) for the bike portion.  I can mix it up and carry enough on my bike for that portion of the event.  I think I'll switch back to my old standard alternating Gu w/water and Gatorade during the run portion.  That's what I've been doing for marathons.  I can carry the Gu flavor that I like and supplement with water and Gatorade provided on the course.  I could add a small amount of solid food during the bike/run transition...maybe just a couple bites of something that will curb my hunger without sending to much energy to my stomach to digest it.  I need to make a decision and practice sooner rather than later.

I wish I had more time and more knowledge on this subject but I don't...  I also wish I just had more time in general.  This has been a tough week to try and fit in training.  We're planting carrots and even though I'm not actually out planting I need to be available to run errands and give rides, feed and entertain my brother who has been coming over to help, drive tractor to prepare fields for the last of the spring planted hay, and get the financials to the loan company for our renewal.  More details on training in my next update but I am frustrated with the time I've been able to invest this week...

I need to take a couple deep breaths...de-stress...and get on with life/training in the time that I do have available.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I use a custom Infinit blend for Half Ironman events, but still rely on whatever sports drink and Gu that is on a marathon course.  Just too much of a pain to carry all of that powder, stop, make it or wear a belt (camelback's are not allowed at the large races like Boston and NYC).  I have also used UCan with success, but had the same problem during a marathon race.

Good luck figuring this all out.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:01 pm

I don't know that protein is going to do a lot for you during a race.  Afterwards?  Absolutely because it'll rebuild the mitochondria damaged during your race.

You're right that you need to train with whatever you choose.  I wouldn't choose anything with very much fiber because that gives the potential of a code brown during the race.

If you're going for clarity of mind, anything with sugar will do, from cookies to expensive stuff.  My personal favorite was Fig Newtons because they don't make your fingers sticky.  Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Sweet Tarts, peppermint candy.  Junk food.  

For me, even a S!Cap capsule gives me some clarity.  I think because it's just something in my belly.  Even Gatorade would work.  Sure, you'll pee or sweat the salt away, but the sugar is for clarity.  You want a processed dessert item that's easy on your system, but accomplishes getting mental clarity.

You're set on potassium, so you don't need it.  Not even a banana.

Just my thoughts.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum