365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's all about the base

5 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

It's all about the base Empty It's all about the base

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Here's the new blog.  But lets be honest my life and my running life in particular doesn't just start and stop on a specific date.  It's a continuation of my past history.  That said...

There was an awesome summary of my running miles for the year on Garmin Connect.  I looked at it after my run on the 31st but I didn't take a screen shot.  It won't display now as it's transitioned into the new year.  In summary 1145.3 miles for the calendar year (my old record was 975 in 2017).  I actually have 1195.8 recorded in my paper log but that's because early in the year I included some walking warm up miles.  I plan to use 1145 for my long term record.  Considering I didn't start running consistently until April that's pretty impressive.  I think I've proven that I can run more miles and more days per week safely and consistently.  If I take Jan/Feb/Mar out of the total I averaged 112 miles per month (26 miles per week).  And I averaged running 5 times per week.  That's amazing for me!  What it tells me is that I can train differently than I have ever trained in the past.  

• I've learned that I can move past 3 day per week running and safely run more often. 

• I've learned that I can improve with more slow miles.  I didn't complete an actual training plan this year...just worked on building base...and still ran the fastest 5K I've run since pre-cardiac event.

• I've also realized that if I'm going to seriously consider a stretch goal like running a BQ it needs to be a long term goal and I need to concentrate on that goal.  I can't get sidetracked with races that aren't in the plan.  I need to cross train but I can't let cross training take to much time/energy away from my running.  I realize that I have farm/family obligations that will affect my training but I need to have the support of my family and make running a priority as much as possible.  I need to consider how travel plans will affect my training

• I think I'm going to need help...input from a coach...to be more successful.  I'm not sure yet how much input I'll need but I'm going to reach out for help in analyzing what I've done in the past, where I am today, and what I'm capable of moving forward.

I finished the year with an awesome 1145 calendar year miles and a fun 10 mile group run.

I think this is a good time to put this blog to bed and focus on something other than "sliding toward my goals".  Still working on the specifics but a new blog is coming...

Ultreya...

So to continue my running life I plan to work on my base.

• This will be about building a running base.
  • It will be about building a nutrition base.
  • It will be about building a healthy body base.
  • It will be about building a mental base.
  • It will be about building a social base.

How do I plan to do all that?  I'm not sure but I'll let you know as I figure it out.  I do know that I will ask for some outside help to help me determine what I can do but more importantly what I want to do moving forward.  Once I've figured out what I want to do I'll then figure out how to do it.  

Quick update on my activities in 2021

Friday Liift 4 Chest & Back
Drive to and hiking in the Painted Hills.  Total of 4 1/2 to 5 miles.  Really fun day.

Saturday Liift 4 Legs
6 miles w/5 miles @ 10:36 HR 147/161 Cadence 164
I really struggled to find motivation to head out the door into the blustery winds but once I got going I felt pretty good.  Quite happy with this run.  HR okay for pace.  Excellent cadence.

Sunday 
Headed out for an easy 5.  I quickly realized that my GPS was not functioning correctly.  I finally stopped at mile 3 (mile 3.7 per my watch?) and reset my watch.  The last 2 miles recorded correctly.
Since this was my normal route I know that I only ran 5 miles and that it took me 58 minutes (11:36 pace) HR average 134 during the first segment and 137 during the last 2 miles.  I'll take it.

Here I go...let's see where I end up...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

It's all about the base Empty Re: It's all about the base

Post  ounce Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:50 pm

I look forward to seeing your HR sliding slowly, but surely, as the weeks pass.  I would like to recommend as part of your mental base (with no experience nor anything) somebody to help work with you on your stress.  Even a sports psychologist.  Sorry to be a Debby Downer.

Your goals are great, but I think somebody will give you the tools to build a bridge between athletic life, work life, and family life.  I don't know if I have said before, but maybe you're missing a cog in the center to allow the smaller cogs of athlete, queen worker bee, and matriarch to work well together (I'm thinking this on the fly, so it's not completely well thought out).

I have my popcorn and remote control.  Now, fly!  Fly!  Fly!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:01 pm

ounce wrote:I look forward to seeing your HR sliding slowly, but surely, as the weeks pass.  I would like to recommend as part of your mental base (with no experience nor anything) somebody to help work with you on your stress.  Even a sports psychologist.  Sorry to be a Debby Downer.

Your goals are great, but I think somebody will give you the tools to build a bridge between athletic life, work life, and family life.  I don't know if I have said before, but maybe you're missing a cog in the center to allow the smaller cogs of athlete, queen worker bee, and matriarch to work well together (I'm thinking this on the fly, so it's not completely well thought out).

I agree that figuring out how to manage my stress appropriately will be a big part of moving forward successfully.  The question is does my running create inappropriate stress or does it act as a stress reliever.  I think the answer to that question is HUGE.  Maybe the answer is when/how I train not if I train.

Balance is a big issue as well.  For example...I want to help support Marty's fitness goals.  Since he doesn't have time to work out during irrigation season he tries to do more during the winter.  We're doing Liift4 together which is great but we decided to move through the program faster than recommended by cutting out some of the rest days.  I think it's wearing me down a bit as I'm also trying to keep my running miles up in addition to Liifting.

Similar yet slightly different...Janice and I are trying to figure out our run this week.  I tend to adapt to her schedule rather than demand/request that she adapt to mine.  As a result I'm going to really struggle to finish up an appointment, fix Marty's lunch, and meet her at the appointed time.  I know she would be more flexible.  I need to learn to ask I guess.

This blog is more about learning more about myself than a particular goal.  I'm not afraid to ask for help.  It will be interesting.

Monday Liift4 Shoulders/Arms
5 miles @ 11:21 HR 135/152 Cadence 159

1. 11:09 HR 126/136 Cad 161
  2. 11:18 HR 136/145 Cad 161
  3. 11:29 HR 137/144 Cad 158
  4. 11:39 HR 135/142 Cad 156
  5. 11:08 HR 140/152 Cad 157

Pretty happy with an average HR of 135.  As you can see I had to slow both the pace and the cadence to achieve that.  I realized that I had a nice HR going and intentionally backed off to see if I could keep it in check...and then I allowed myself to finish a bit faster.  Smile

Quick edit to add that while I've been pleasantly surprised...and pleased...to see that my HR has been lower during my last two runs I haven't seen that trend in my resting HR yet.  I don't pay much attention to daily data but watch averages and trends more closely.  I was pleased to see my monthly RHR average drop from into the 47-48 range during the summer and fall months.  Dec and Jan it popped back up to 50-51.  Not a huge increase but still worth noting.  So I guess I need to wait and watch and if it doesn't drop down soon I need to start looking for answers.  Holiday/family stress?  That should be resolving.  To much Liifting in combination with running?  Distinct possibility but if that's the case why is my running HR looking better?  I'll be keeping an eye on this.

We Liifted again this morning and I've got a very busy day ahead of me.  Note that I did take time (time for myself) to check in here.  Baby steps...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Yesterday was a bit hectic but I made it home in time to fix Marty's lunch and grab a quick bite for myself before heading off to meet up with Janice.  I let her know my schedule was tight so we planned for me to drive to her house instead of meeting at the park.  I was 5 minutes later than planned but it worked well as I didn't leave her stranded at the park wondering where I was.  We ran from her house and she picked a HILLY run...Janice hates hills so I was surprised.

6.29 miles @ 11:56 HR 137/154 Cadence 158
We kept the pace pretty slow due to the hills.  My legs were tired but it felt pretty good.  It was nice to chat as we ran.

Today was a rest day from Liift4 but knowing that I stayed up a bit later than usual last night.  I still got close to 8 hours sleep but was wishing I could stay in bed for a bit longer.  

Ran early before the rain was forecast to arrive.
5 miles @11:35 HR 141/163 Cadence 159

1. 11:21 HR 149/163 Cad 160
  2. 11:43 HR 137/146 Cad 160
  3. 11:35 HR 138/148 Cad 158
  4. 11:34 HR 142/149 Cad 158
  5. 11:43 HR 142/152 Cad 159

My average HR of 141 for this run is disappointing but I'm pretty sure my HR monitor malfunctioned.  There is absolutely no way I had my HR up to 163 in the first mile.  It actually popped up that high in the first few hundred yards.  Had to be a blip.  The remaining 4 miles look like a more typical HR with a slight drift as the run continued.

Gary's family was exposed to COVID a few days ago.  We just learned last night.  And his wife and one of the girls is sick.  Waiting for test results.   What a Face  Marty and I haven't been around any of them much at all since they were exposed but Kevin is pretty nervous about himself and his family.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:32 pm

So far so good...no positive COVID tests yet.  

Thursday Liift4 Chest & Back then 6 miles with a faster 5
5 miles @ 9:57 HR 148/167 Cad 163

1. 10:26 HR 141/142 Cad 161
  2. 10:11 HR 146/152 Cad 164
  3. 10:03 HR 150/158 Cad 162
  4.   9:45 HR 156/151 Cad 164
  5.   9:17 HR 158/167 Cad 164

CD mile @ 11:50
Pretty happy with that run.  I didn't really intend to make it a tempo run but when I realized my pace near the end of the first mile I decided to see what I could do.  The intention was to build the pace slowly.   Very Happy

On 12/10/20 I ran 5 @ 9:55 HR 151 Cad 163
On 11/07/20 I ran 5 @ 9:52 HR 151 Cad 163
So not quite as fast yesterday but close...and the HR is a bit less.  I'll consider this a good run.

Friday Up early for Liift4 Legs.  It was a tough one!  We had a half inch of snow and when it warmed up our road turned to muck!  I have 6 days in a row or running so decided that maybe it was a sign I needed a rest day.

Maybe I should spend my "free" time working on figuring out goals and how to accomplish them...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:42 am

I owe you some responses.  Hope the Covid effect is minimal.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:29 pm

ounce wrote:I owe you some responses.  Hope the Covid effect is minimal.
All COVID tests came back negative.  We're back to normal around here.

I got a bit behind on posting here so I'll keep things brief.

Friday I did end up taking a rest day from running after our Liift4 legs workout.

Saturday Marty suggested we go on a hike so I put running on hold for the day.
7.7 very chilly miles in the Crooked River Gorge.  We hiked down to the river and also along the bench.  Total elevation 1540.  It was a fun hike.

Sunday  Woke up to fog.  Good thing we hiked yesterday.
Liift4 Shoulders/Arms
5 miles @11:25 HR 145/161 Cad 160  Not sure exactly why but my HR started and stayed high.

Monday Liift4 Full Body Hiit.  Last workout of the program and it was a tough one!
5 miles @10:58 HR 141/154 Cad 160  Much better HR today even though the pace was faster.  Nice building run.

Tuesday Windy but I had planned a run with Janice and Nailon.  
6.2 miles @11:53 HR 137/155 Cad 158  Pretty happy with this run overall.  I kept it at an easy effort but the hills and wind added a bit of a challenge.  
And then we jumped in the car and headed toward to Oregon Coast.  5 hour drive.

Wednesday Cape Perpetua Hike
13.04 miles 6 hours (4 1/2 hours moving time)  Total elevation 2437  Lots of ups and downs.  We went from sea level to an awesome view at 963'  HR 97/143
We had planned on about 8 or 9 miles but decided to walk from the house instead of driving across the bridge...then did the loop instead of an out and back...  It was a really fun hike.

Thursday Cape Perpetua day 2
11.04 miles 5 1/2 hours (4:15 moving)  Total elevation 2935.  Essentially from sea level to 1543' inland.  
HR 100/146
We had planned on something shorter but as usual we couldn't pass up the challenge to hike to the viewpoint and then add a small loop with some nice views.

Friday Enjoyed a second cup of coffee in the VRBO while we watched the waves splash up in the yard.  The house had an awesome view.  Packed up and drove about 30 minutes to Hobbit Trail.  A quick 1/2 mile walk to the beach to stretch our legs.  It was a really cool trail...would love to take the kids there.  Then we settled in for the long drive home.

Marty and I were both pleasantly surprised that we weren't more sore/tired after our two big hiking days.  Really enjoyed the challenge and the time together.  Not to mention the seafood.

We drove to the coast via hwy 22 and home via hwy 126.  Both go through areas that lost entire communities to the devastating fires this summer.   What a Face No  So sad.

I probably should mention that I'm seeing a slight but noticeable improvement in my resting HR. Smile

Heading out for a run shortly...

Editing to add my run stats

5 miles @10:55 HR 138/157 Cad 158 

1. 11:02 HR 123/134 Cad 158
  2. 11:05 HR 136 143 Cad 159
  3. 11:10 HR 139/148 Cad 156
  4. 10:54 HR 144/149 Cad 158
  5. 10:21 HR 148/157 Cad 159

Very pleased with my HR for a run at that pace.  Cadence wasn't great but you can't have everything.  My legs were starting to whine...reminding me that I hiked 24 miles on Wed & Thur...and both pace and cadence slowed a bit.  I dug deep and decided to abandon the low HR goal and see if I could finish under an 11:00 pace.  Pretty happy to accomplish that goal pace...and keep the HR average under 140.   cheers  You can see a definite upswing in the HR during those last two miles as I sped up but that was totally expected.

Good base building week!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:00 pm

Sunday...Marty wanted to start our next strength program.  I wanted to wait till Monday.  Our compromise was to do the recovery(stretching) workout.  I really enjoyed it...and needed it.

Not sure why but I decided that I needed to do some faster running Sunday afternoon.  
6 miles w/8x400
Overall @10:58 HR 144/165 Cad 157
Intervals @8:58 average Cad 162
Not my most consistent interval run.  It's been awhile I guess.  My splits were all over the place...more so than they should have been even taking the hills into consideration.  And my cadence was low for an interval run like this.  I think my legs are still a bit tired from our 25 miles of hiking at the beach. Shocked

Monday Marty and I started our new strength program today.  MBF...Muscle Burns Fat.

• M - Lower Body Burn (weights)
  • T - Core Circuit including AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible)
  • W - Upper Body Burn
  • T - Core Circuit
  • F - Full Body Burn
  • S - Power Ignite...EMOM (Every Minute On the Minute)
  • S - Dynamic Recovery (stretching)

We did the recovery workout yesterday and I really liked it.  Lower Body Burn was challenging this morning.  It moves a bit more quickly than Liift4...more reps and no rest...so I had to use slightly lighter weights for the same moves.  

It's been a hectic morning so I haven't been able to get out and run yet.  I'll try and add my run stats later...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:44 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I look forward to seeing your HR sliding slowly, but surely, as the weeks pass.  I would like to recommend as part of your mental base (with no experience nor anything) somebody to help work with you on your stress.  Even a sports psychologist.  Sorry to be a Debby Downer.

I agree that figuring out how to manage my stress appropriately will be a big part of moving forward successfully.  The question is does my running create inappropriate stress or does it act as a stress reliever.  I think the answer to that question is HUGE.  Maybe the answer is when/how I train not if I train.

Balance is a big issue as well.  For example...I want to help support Marty's fitness goals.  Since he doesn't have time to work out during irrigation season he tries to do more during the winter.  We're doing Liift4 together which is great but we decided to move through the program faster than recommended by cutting out some of the rest days.  I think it's wearing me down a bit as I'm also trying to keep my running miles up in addition to Liifting.

Similar yet slightly different...Janice and I are trying to figure out our run this week.  I tend to adapt to her schedule rather than demand/request that she adapt to mine.  As a result I'm going to really struggle to finish up an appointment, fix Marty's lunch, and meet her at the appointed time.  I know she would be more flexible.  I need to learn to ask I guess.

This blog is more about learning more about myself than a particular goal.  I'm not afraid to ask for help.  It will be interesting.

Pretty happy with an average HR of 135.  As you can see I had to slow both the pace and the cadence to achieve that.  I realized that I had a nice HR going and intentionally backed off to see if I could keep it in check...and then I allowed myself to finish a bit faster.  Smile

Quick edit to add that while I've been pleasantly surprised...and pleased...to see that my HR has been lower during my last two runs I haven't seen that trend in my resting HR yet.  I don't pay much attention to daily data but watch averages and trends more closely.  I was pleased to see my monthly RHR average drop from into the 47-48 range during the summer and fall months.  Dec and Jan it popped back up to 50-51.  Not a huge increase but still worth noting.  So I guess I need to wait and watch and if it doesn't drop down soon I need to start looking for answers.  Holiday/family stress?  That should be resolving.  To much Liifting in combination with running?  Distinct possibility but if that's the case why is my running HR looking better?  I'll be keeping an eye on this.

We Liifted again this morning and I've got a very busy day ahead of me.  Note that I did take time (time for myself) to check in here.  Baby steps...
Yeah, you need to ask Janice if she can change a bit.  She can enjoy it even better.

Re your RHR, I wonder how the faster runs, and the resultant higher HR, affects RHR over time? 

I would probably watch your RHR come down, now that the holidays are over and farming on the acreage isn't as active, this time of year (from what I've gathered).  If it does come down now through February 28, then (having ruled everything else out) you could infer the 50-51 RHR was due to the holidays. 

Maybe try to keep the physical activities ongoing plus what normal & consistent work things you do consistently in a log.  Then log your other stuff that's not part of the routine and its RHR for the day.  Maybe if you have a stressor on a Tuesday and your RHR rises on a Thursday, then a streesor out of the norm causes a small RHR gain in 2 days.

The devil will be in the details.  You'll be a Private Eye with a magnifying glass.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:23 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Yeah, you need to ask Janice if she can change a bit.  She can enjoy it even better.

Re your RHR, I wonder how the faster runs, and the resultant higher HR, affects RHR over time? 

I would probably watch your RHR come down, now that the holidays are over and farming on the acreage isn't as active, this time of year (from what I've gathered).  If it does come down now through February 28, then (having ruled everything else out) you could infer the 50-51 RHR was due to the holidays. 

Maybe try to keep the physical activities ongoing plus what normal & consistent work things you do consistently in a log.  Then log your other stuff that's not part of the routine and its RHR for the day.  Maybe if you have a stressor on a Tuesday and your RHR rises on a Thursday, then a streesor out of the norm causes a small RHR gain in 2 days.

The devil will be in the details.  You'll be a Private Eye with a magnifying glass.
All very astute observations and on point suggestions!  
Even though I've continued my heavy training load I have seen a nice lowering of my RHR in the last few days.  The time away at the beach?  The end of the holidays?  My take away is that it's not the intensity of training that caused the issues but unrelated life stresses.  I'll try to manage that better moving forward.

I do think that running faster has a positive long term affect on my RHR.  It takes some time so it's hard to connect it directly but based on what I understand about training there is a long term positive affect.

I did muster the courage to ask Janice to delay the start of our run last week...just by half an hour...but it gave me time to help with the boys without being rushed.  Natalie appreciated the help and Janice was more than willing to make the slight adjustment.

So yesterday was definitely a MONDAY.  And what a Monday it was.  But...I did manage to get out for a run.  I was obviously stressed and my HR shot up quickly in the first mile.  I slowed my pace and cadence...took a couple deep breaths and trudged on.  I was pleased to see that my HR settled down and actually slowed a bit as the run progressed.  I will add that I was really feeling the affects of both my hiking mileage last week and my intervals on Sunday.  My legs were whining.  I recognized the signs that I needed to make this run a recovery run and did so successfully.  I did notice that my RHR was up slightly yesterday but is looking good again today.

5 miles @11:45 HR 141/160 Cadence 160

This morning was Cardio Circuit.  We struggled to follow along a couple times but it was a good workout.  I think we're going to enjoy this program.

Marty asked if I had time to drive tractor today and I agreed.  We're trying to get some field work done before the next rain/snow hits.  I've packed a lunch and resigned myself to a rest day from running.  That may actually be a good idea.

I haven't had time to really report on my progress toward identifying my base goals and how I plan to reach them.  I have made some progress and will fill you in when I have more time.

Off to the field...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:17 pm

Upper Body Burn this morning.  Nice workout but not particularly hard.

Planned to run before lunch but had to run up town to pick up Royce from school so not enough time.  Ran after lunch with more in my stomach than I like.  Kept the effort moderate.

5 miles @11:06 HR 139/152 Cad 158

I was able to turn this into a nice building run.  Not super fast and not great cadence but pretty pleased that I was able to build the pace and keep the HR reasonable.  Progress or fluke Question

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

All very astute observations and on point suggestions!  
Even though I've continued my heavy training load I have seen a nice lowering of my RHR in the last few days.  The time away at the beach?  The end of the holidays?  My take away is that it's not the intensity of training that caused the issues but unrelated life stresses.  I'll try to manage that better moving forward.

I do think that running faster has a positive long term affect on my RHR.  It takes some time so it's hard to connect it directly but based on what I understand about training there is a long term positive affect.

I did muster the courage to ask Janice to delay the start of our run last week...just by half an hour...but it gave me time to help with the boys without being rushed.  Natalie appreciated the help and Janice was more than willing to make the slight adjustment.

So yesterday was definitely a MONDAY.  And what a Monday it was.  But...I did manage to get out for a run.  I was obviously stressed and my HR shot up quickly in the first mile.  I slowed my pace and cadence...took a couple deep breaths and trudged on.  I was pleased to see that my HR settled down and actually slowed a bit as the run progressed.  I will add that I was really feeling the affects of both my hiking mileage last week and my intervals on Sunday.  My legs were whining.  I recognized the signs that I needed to make this run a recovery run and did so successfully.  I did notice that my RHR was up slightly yesterday but is looking good again today.

5 miles @11:45 HR 141/160 Cadence 160

This morning was Cardio Circuit.  We struggled to follow along a couple times but it was a good workout.  I think we're going to enjoy this program.

Marty asked if I had time to drive tractor today and I agreed.  We're trying to get some field work done before the next rain/snow hits.  I've packed a lunch and resigned myself to a rest day from running.  That may actually be a good idea.

I haven't had time to really report on my progress toward identifying my base goals and how I plan to reach them.  I have made some progress and will fill you in when I have more time.

Off to the field...
If I remember correctly, you actually do a warm up before running, right?

Separately, you may want to 'have to' help in the fields, in order to get you a rest day from running.  How does actual grunt work (or birthing 'hay Beetles' in the Fall Wink ) help or hurt your day to day running?  Can you take a rest day from running without the stress of actually not running?  A rest day from running is always a good thing, but does the stress of not running cause problems, specifically a rise in RHR?

I'm still thinking of things that might assist in reducing the RHR.  Seems like that might be your barometer...with the information gleaned.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 pm

nkrichards wrote:Upper Body Burn this morning.  Nice workout but not particularly hard.

Planned to run before lunch but had to run up town to pick up Royce from school so not enough time.  Ran after lunch with more in my stomach than I like.  Kept the effort moderate.

I was able to turn this into a nice building run.  Not super fast and not great cadence but pretty pleased that I was able to build the pace and keep the HR reasonable.  Progress or fluke Question

Ultreya...
Yes, that 5 miles was in line with 2 others since January 16th for pace and HR.  HR will come to you at a similar pace.  The heart wants desperately to stay in the hammock.  Keep going.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:58 pm

ounce wrote:If I remember correctly, you actually do a warm up before running, right?

Separately, you may want to 'have to' help in the fields, in order to get you a rest day from running.  How does actual grunt work (or birthing 'hay Beetles' in the Fall Wink ) help or hurt your day to day running?  Can you take a rest day from running without the stress of actually not running?  A rest day from running is always a good thing, but does the stress of not running cause problems, specifically a rise in RHR?

I'm still thinking of things that might assist in reducing the RHR.  Seems like that might be your barometer...with the information gleaned.
Yes, I always do a walking warm up before and after my runs.  It's usually 5 minutes or so on each end of the run.  I don't record them or include them in my stats anymore...I was earlier this year.  If I do a harder run I'll do an actual 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down with the meat of the run sandwiched in the middle.

In answer to your question...It depends.  There are days when I try and squeeze in a run when I'm already stressed and really don't have time and that shows in my HR data.  And then there are times when I'm stressed but I'm able to take a deep breath and running actually helps me put things in perspective and reduces my stress load.  I'm learning.  I don't think that my training is causing my stress levels and RHR to rise.  In fact I'm sure that it helps to keep it under control.  I do think that life stresses show up in my training stats.  It (running) is a good tool and I need to learn how to use it more effectively.
Ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Upper Body Burn this morning.  Nice workout but not particularly hard.

Ultreya...
Yes, that 5 miles was in line with 2 others since January 16th for pace and HR.  HR will come to you at a similar pace.  The heart wants desperately to stay in the hammock.  Keep going.
I was pretty happy with that run.  I'm not sure that I'm ever going to be able to run at a HR as low as Maffetone recommends but if I look at my stats from clear back in March when I started running more and slower and oddly enough also working on cadence...I can see improvement.  Part of the problem is that my pace is faster than it was in April at my moderate HR and I'm probably just not running slow enough to get the HR any lower.  But I can't seem to maintain my form if I slow down to much.

I'm working on a few things before I contact a coach and get some outside unbiased input.

Up early for MBF Core circuit.  It was a good workout.  Then I headed off to take my car to Bend for service work.  Bend is an hour away so two hours round trip...to drop it off and then again to pick it up.  They weren't sure how long it was going to take so I wasn't game to wait.   So most of my day was spent driving.  But...the car has it's much needed service.  When I got home I was starving and had barely enough time to squeeze in my run.  It was spitting rain and snowing in the foothills.  I struggled but finally decided to make myself a healthy snack and try not to stress over missing a run.  Progress(?).

Tomorrow is another day.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:49 pm

MBF Full Body Burn this morning.

Janice had organized a long run for today and Nailon planned to join us part way through.  We woke up to snow.  After several texts we finally decided to cut the run back and stay in the park.  We bundled up, met at the park, and put on our screwed shoes for traction.  It was snowing lightly and we had about 3/4" of snow with a bit of drifting.  We started out pretty slow with short strides out of caution.  I got warm quickly! 

4 miles @ 12:12 HR 141/155 Cad 156

Assuming the high HR was the result of overdressing...and a bit of nervousness about slipping and falling.
Anyway it was really a fun run!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:If I remember correctly, you actually do a warm up before running, right?

Yes, I always do a walking warm up before and after my runs.  It's usually 5 minutes or so on each end of the run.  I don't record them or include them in my stats anymore...I was earlier this year.  If I do a harder run I'll do an actual 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down with the meat of the run sandwiched in the middle.

In answer to your question...It depends.  There are days when I try and squeeze in a run when I'm already stressed and really don't have time and that shows in my HR data.  And then there are times when I'm stressed but I'm able to take a deep breath and running actually helps me put things in perspective and reduces my stress load.  I'm learning.  I don't think that my training is causing my stress levels and RHR to rise.  In fact I'm sure that it helps to keep it under control.  I do think that life stresses show up in my training stats.  It (running) is a good tool and I need to learn how to use it more effectively.
Ounce wrote:

Ultreya...
I was pretty happy with that run.  I'm not sure that I'm ever going to be able to run at a HR as low as Maffetone recommends but if I look at my stats from clear back in March when I started running more and slower and oddly enough also working on cadence...I can see improvement.  Part of the problem is that my pace is faster than it was in April at my moderate HR and I'm probably just not running slow enough to get the HR any lower.  But I can't seem to maintain my form if I slow down to much.

I'm working on a few things before I contact a coach and get some outside unbiased input.

Up early for MBF Core circuit.  It was a good workout.  Then I headed off to take my car to Bend for service work.  Bend is an hour away so two hours round trip...to drop it off and then again to pick it up.  They weren't sure how long it was going to take so I wasn't game to wait.   So most of my day was spent driving.  But...the car has it's much needed service.  When I got home I was starving and had barely enough time to squeeze in my run.  It was spitting rain and snowing in the foothills.  I struggled but finally decided to make myself a healthy snack and try not to stress over missing a run.  Progress(?).

Tomorrow is another day.
I'll just say that HR will drift downward, over time.  One quick way to do it would be to spend a Summer in an environment where 79 degrees is the dew point and the temperature in the mornings.  Shocked

You'll get some new and valuable advice from a coach.  Take notes. Wink 

PROGRESS!!

Today is another dayNot only that but the sun will come up, tomorrow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 pm

Just checking in, tardily, and I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing. 

Your lower HR workouts seem to have really helped you build a deep endurance that will only help you as you start to build up miles and intensity for whatever you decide to do. Those long hikes with Marty are a nice addition to the mix, as well. 

I wouldn't worry too much about hitting Maffetone's guidelines based on age. Those are honestly oriented largely toward people who have not had a lot of physical exertion before and need to build up slowly and allow their bodies to go through the metamorphosis needed with a reduced chance of injury. Just try to not give Fast Freddy too much leeway.

I know I've talked about Hadd before, but his approach may have actually worked better for me than a pure Maffetone approach. It allowed me to train at a slightly higher heart rate by taking into account my base fitness and naturally higher max HR than is calculated by charts (or Maffetone). My best performances came using his approach (with a bit of Maffetone thrown in)... though so did my most spectacular burn-out, so... proceed carefully, ideally with adult supervision.

If you're interested, here's a link to the Hadd superpost that explains it all: Hadd's Approach to Distance Training Part I Let's start from the ...www.angio.net › personal › run › hadd

Onward!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:43 pm

ounce wrote:I'll just say that HR will drift downward, over time.  One quick way to do it would be to spend a Summer in an environment where 79 degrees is the dew point and the temperature in the mornings.  Shocked

You'll get some new and valuable advice from a coach.  Take notes. Wink 

PROGRESS!!

Today is another dayNot only that but the sun will come up, tomorrow.
I'll pass on the humid summer training environment.   What a Face

I am seeing progress...not always as quickly or steadily as I'd like but it's there.  And I'm working on getting ready to contact a coach.

The sun did come up...gorgeous day for a sunny but brisk long run on Sunday.  Running
Mark B wrote:Just checking in, tardily, and I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing. 

Your lower HR workouts seem to have really helped you build a deep endurance that will only help you as you start to build up miles and intensity for whatever you decide to do. Those long hikes with Marty are a nice addition to the mix, as well. 

I wouldn't worry too much about hitting Maffetone's guidelines based on age. Those are honestly oriented largely toward people who have not had a lot of physical exertion before and need to build up slowly and allow their bodies to go through the metamorphosis needed with a reduced chance of injury. Just try to not give Fast Freddy too much leeway.

I know I've talked about Hadd before, but his approach may have actually worked better for me than a pure Maffetone approach. It allowed me to train at a slightly higher heart rate by taking into account my base fitness and naturally higher max HR than is calculated by charts (or Maffetone). My best performances came using his approach (with a bit of Maffetone thrown in)... though so did my most spectacular burn-out, so... proceed carefully, ideally with adult supervision.

If you're interested, here's a link to the Hadd superpost that explains it all: Hadd's Approach to Distance Training Part I Let's start from the ...www.angio.net › personal › run › hadd

Onward!
Thanks for that link Mark.  I remember reading it in the past and you mentioning it in your blog.  That will be my evening reading project!  The details are fuzzy but from what I do remember it may be a better fit that Maffetone.

As I mentioned to Doug...I am seeing progress.  It's just slower and a bit more variable than I'd like to see.  But compared to my "run less, run faster" 3 day a week training my average HR had dropped from the mid 160s to the mid 140s.  Of course I was faster then but also running significantly less mileage.  If I look back at my runs starting in mid-March when I got serious about this I'm seeing both a lower HR and a slight increase in pace.  Not a huge improvement but a significant one.  Now I just need to figure out how to get a little bit faster.

As far as our hiking...I love the Yachats area!  Haven't been for years and I've never hiked much there.  It was a great mental break and a great variety to add to my physical activities.  We both enjoyed it immensely. 

Saturday Woke to a gorgeous sunny 19 degrees.  Our 25 minute MBF workout was EMOM (Every Minute On the Minute).  It's complicated but it was a good workout.  After breakfast we cleaned up and dressed for a graveside memorial for a friend from the farming community.  He was one of Marty's elk hunting buddies.  It was a brisk but gorgeous sunny day and a very nice service.  Janice and I had planned to run long after the service but Janice wasn't up to it so I was on my own.

8 miles @10:57 HR 144/159 Cad 161

Very happy with that effort.  I decided to leave my little 5 mile comfort zone where the neighbors keep an eye on me and ran all the way to the fire station.  I haven't done that since pre-cardiac event.  It's a mentally challenging route as mile 5 has most of the elevation gain and it's significant.  I handled it pretty well.  Considering the longer distance and the elevation gain I'm super pleased with pace, HR and cadence!

Sunday This morning was MBF Dynamic Recovery (dynamic stretching).  I really like this workout.  And I needed it.  Shortly before lunch I headed out for a recovery run in the spitting snow.  Roads were clear.

4 miles @ 11:32 HR 135/151 Cad 156

Quite please with my HR.  Cadence was slow but you can't have everything.  It was a recovery run after all.

Good week with 5 runs totaling 26 miles and 7 days of MBF.

I think it's time to make a cup of tea and settle down to read about the Hadd approach to training...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:29 pm

Quick update as life has been/is hectic...

Monday MBF Lower Body Burn...and my legs did burn.  I had to help out with the boys so wasn't able to run.

Tuesday MBF Core Circuit

5 miles @10:36 145/163 Cad 162
Not a low HR effort.  It was cold and windy and I wanted to get done!  But considering the pace and cadence I can't complain about the HR.  In April I ran 5 miles @10:52 with a HR of 159/175 Cadence 163.  Nothing else near that pace/distance to compare to.  So...definitely progress.

Wednesday  MBF Upper Body Burn

I have a lot going on today but I'm hoping to find time to run this afternoon.  Will also be dependent on road conditions as it's icy this morning.   What a Face
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 pm

I did manage to get a run in on Wednesday.  It was late...just before dark...but the ice had melted and the roads were clear.  It was a bit windy and chilly but a nice run.

5 @11:27 138/151 Cad 159

Thursday MBF Core Circuit  I really struggled to get up and get going.  I'm finding that this 6-7 day a week program in combination with my running is a bit challenging.  Probably mentally as much as physically.

We headed to Sandy after our workout.  I took Taco soup to share with my Mom for lunch.  We had a nice visit.  Then we picked up Marty's Mom for a visit.  They both have birthdays Friday!

Friday MBF Full Body Burn (weights but relatively light with lots of reps).  I got up and going better this morning and actually increased my weights from last week.

Trying to entertain my MIL, fix dinner for the family, catch up on a few things in the office, and get a run in today...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:19 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Saturday Woke to a gorgeous sunny 19 degrees.  Our 25 minute MBF workout was EMOM (Every Minute On the Minute).  It's complicated but it was a good workout.  After breakfast we cleaned up and dressed for a graveside memorial for a friend from the farming community.  He was one of Marty's elk hunting buddies.  It was a brisk but gorgeous sunny day and a very nice service.  Janice and I had planned to run long after the service but Janice wasn't up to it so I was on my own.

Very happy with that effort.  I decided to leave my little 5 mile comfort zone where the neighbors keep an eye on me and ran all the way to the fire station.  I haven't done that since pre-cardiac event.  It's a mentally challenging route as mile 5 has most of the elevation gain and it's significant.  I handled it pretty well.  Considering the longer distance and the elevation gain I'm super pleased with pace, HR and cadence!

Sunday This morning was MBF Dynamic Recovery (dynamic stretching).  I really like this workout.  And I needed it.  Shortly before lunch I headed out for a recovery run in the spitting snow.  Roads were clear.

Quite please with my HR.  Cadence was slow but you can't have everything.  It was a recovery run after all.

I think it's time to make a cup of tea and settle down to read about the Hadd approach to training...
Your HR is starting to get close to 'hammock' range.  cheers
I wonder how your runs would be viewed if you dropped the pace?  Granted, pace is a big part as to how we grade a run, but could you approximate pace by distance and HR?

Do the firemen at the station (unless it's closed up, until a fire) know about your heart?  Could be a good idea to share info with them, even just sitting at the station and call 911, if you ever need to.  They can just pull out the ambulance out of the garage and treat you.

And, yes, your 8 is really nice.  I'm pleased you ventured outside your comfort zone and a fire station as the destination.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:Quick update as life has been/is hectic...

Monday MBF Lower Body Burn...and my legs did burn.  I had to help out with the boys so wasn't able to run.

Tuesday MBF Core Circuit

Not a low HR effort.  It was cold and windy and I wanted to get done!  But considering the pace and cadence I can't complain about the HR.  In April I ran 5 miles @10:52 with a HR of 159/175 Cadence 163.  Nothing else near that pace/distance to compare to.  So...definitely progress.

I have a lot going on today but I'm hoping to find time to run this afternoon.  Will also be dependent on road conditions as it's icy this morning.   What a Face
Hmmm, looking at Tuesday's run, maybe my suggestion on the prior post of hiding the pace wouldn't be so good.  I don't see anything wrong with the HR in relation to the pace.  You're going faster, so the HR needs to get out of the hammock for a while.  I'm glad you wrote in the April run because I didn't read the whole paragraph until I started this paragraph.  Most DEFINITELY progress!!!  Good stuff. 
I don't know how you and Miche1e run your runs so low and so fast. StirPot
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:09 pm

nkrichards wrote:I did manage to get a run in on Wednesday.  It was late...just before dark...but the ice had melted and the roads were clear.  It was a bit windy and chilly but a nice run.

Thursday MBF Core Circuit  I really struggled to get up and get going.  I'm finding that this 6-7 day a week program in combination with my running is a bit challenging.  Probably mentally as much as physically.

We headed to Sandy after our workout.  I took Taco soup to share with my Mom for lunch.  We had a nice visit.  Then we picked up Marty's Mom for a visit.  They both have birthdays Friday!

Friday MBF Full Body Burn (weights but relatively light with lots of reps).  I got up and going better this morning and actually increased my weights from last week.

Trying to entertain my MIL, fix dinner for the family, catch up on a few things in the office, and get a run in today...
Your run on Wednesday is similar to the below run

So how is this 6-7 day MBF Core Circuit and your running affecting your RHR, if at all?

The Moms have the same birfday?  Boy, that's something!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:50 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Your HR is starting to get close to 'hammock' range.  cheers
I wonder how your runs would be viewed if you dropped the pace?  Granted, pace is a big part as to how we grade a run, but could you approximate pace by distance and HR?

Do the firemen at the station (unless it's closed up, until a fire) know about your heart?  Could be a good idea to share info with them, even just sitting at the station and call 911, if you ever need to.  They can just pull out the ambulance out of the garage and treat you.

And, yes, your 8 is really nice.  I'm pleased you ventured outside your comfort zone and a fire station as the destination.
I'm happy with any run where I can keep my HR under 140 average...even if it is only 4 miles.  I need the pace information as a reminder to slow down.  I tried running with my watch set to beep when my HR got to high and it just drove me insane...and made my HR shoot up out of frustration.

Yes, the most of the firemen know me...the benefit of living in a small town.  The route is really just an extension of my "normal"  mile route so it's not far out of my comfort zone...and I did tell Marty that I was venturing a bit further from home.
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Quick update as life has been/is hectic...

Tuesday MBF Core Circuit

Hmmm, looking at Tuesday's run, maybe my suggestion on the prior post of hiding the pace wouldn't be so good.  I don't see anything wrong with the HR in relation to the pace.  You're going faster, so the HR needs to get out of the hammock for a while.  I'm glad you wrote in the April run because I didn't read the whole paragraph until I started this paragraph.  Most DEFINITELY progress!!!  Good stuff. 
I don't know how you and Miche1e run your runs so low and so fast. StirPot
It is/was very encouraging to compare the April and the current run.  

I'm not sure that you can talk about Miche1e's and my runs in the same sentence.  She ran 11 miles @ 9:22 Avg HR 125 this morning!  Yesterday it was 15 miles @8:36 and the avg HR was 140.   Shocked  I have to keep my pace between 11:30 and 12:00 to keep my HR under 140 and I'm not running as far either.  
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I did manage to get a run in on Wednesday.  It was late...just before dark...but the ice had melted and the roads were clear.  It was a bit windy and chilly but a nice run.

Your run on Wednesday is similar to the below run

So how is this 6-7 day MBF Core Circuit and your running affecting your RHR, if at all?

The Moms have the same birfday?  Boy, that's something!
I'm realizing that I need to keep my runs in the 11:30 - 11:45 range to have any chance at all of keeping the HR under 140...but it is better than last spring.

I'm not sure if the MBF workouts happening more often than Liift4 are affecting my RHR.  It's in a good place right now.  The MBF workouts include some cardio but I'm not sure that it's enough to help me lower my RHR.  I also don't think that it's causing me to overtrain and cause an increase in my RHR but that is something that I do think I need to watch for.

My post was a bit confusing...it's Marty and his Mom who share a birthday.  Marty qualifies for Medicare!

Busy couple days.  Yesterday I snuck out between lunch and dinner and ran to the fire station again.

9 miles @10:47 HR 149/164 Cad 160

I didn't even attempt to make this a low HR run.  I just took off and held on.  First mile @11:06.  Last mile @9:58.  I was exhausted and quite pleased that my last three miles were my fastest.  I even made it up the dreaded hill @11:01.

This morning I met Janice at the top of the hill and Nailon joined us a bit later.

7.5 @11:46 HR 139/150 Cad 158

Pretty happy to see that my HR stayed as low as it did.  The first couple miles have a bit of elevation gain so my HR went up pretty quickly but it settled down as the run progressed.  To keep it under 140 for this distance is an accomplishment.

There is a small in person run in a Prineville next Sunday.  It's a town about 30 minutes away similar is size to Madras.  The run is a fund raiser for the cross country team.  I mentioned it to Janice last and she didn't seem interested but has since changed her mind.  We plan to run if the weather isn't terrible.  They offer a 5K, 10 mile, and 20 mile.  It's on a country road along the river so I don't think it will have to much elevation challenges.  We hope to run 10 miles.  We're going to get together on Monday so Janice can run 9 and see how she feels before we make a decision.

I'm thinking that I better make sure I take it easy tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:52 pm

Easy day as promised.  MBF Dynamic recovery.  I absolutely love this workout.  Easy but effective dynamic stretching.

I was tempted to head out for an easy 3 miler.  I knew better but...  Fortunately the wind was absolutely howling so I stayed inside like a good girl.

I need to remember to rest...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next