365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's all about the base

5 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

It's all about the base - Page 4 Empty Re: It's all about the base

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:04 pm

ounce wrote:Well, Nancy, I'm sorry to read about your mom.  No need to apologize, ma'am.  I'm the family writer on things medical and hospital related and writing about it flushes the problem away, while the readers think I like to write these things with a calmness and frankness.  Little do they know.

Keep an eye on the ammonia level in the blood for the liver.  If the liver is compromised, then ammonia levels grow and the brain is compromised to what your mom is doing.  Ammonia processed by the liver doesn't go through the kidneys, rather the intestines.  Xifaxan can control the ammonia levels.  Just a thought, but worth mentioning, unless you have a doc that knows everything.

Good luck.  I'll pray for her.
Thanks for the info and the prayers Doug.  Both are much appreciated.  

Mom was not well at all when I visited her yesterday.  She did not acknowledge that I was there and at times I don't think she knew who I was.  She was mumbling and thrashing in her bed.  It was quite a difficult visit.  My brother, Larry, from Albuquerque decided to fly in so I stayed over on that side of the mountain and picked him up from the airport.  I got together with my 3 brothers and we all agreed that we would do what we could for the next few days but were resigned that we may be bringing her home on hospice care.  It was a long difficult day.

Larry went to visit her today.  She was sitting up eating breakfast.  She combed her hair and washed her face...with help.  They had a conversation.  The doctor was amazed.  She has a long way to go but...  She refuses to go to a rehab facility so we're scrambling around to get care to bring her home in a couple days.  She is still very confused but it's a remarkable difference from yesterday.  She'll need 24 hour care.

Thanks again for the prayers.

We didn't set the alarm last night as I was exhausted.  But I woke up early and was restless so we got up and had a cup of coffee and did our Liift4 Full Body Hiit workout.  I wasn't real energetic but it still felt good.  

I had plans to complete the last MADras Runners Challenge route with Janice, Chuck, and Nailan this morning.  I headed to the park early so I could get in a couple solo miles before we started the challenge together.  I got a call that I had to take and was short time so was way to quick on my solo run but Janice needed to take the hilly Challenge route slowly so we did.

2.25 mi @ 10:29 HR 141/162 Cad 159
4.0 mi @ 12:06 HR 146/161 Cad 157

It was a nice distraction to run with friends.   Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:28 pm

It's good and soothing that you and the brothers are on the same page.  That'll save time and hard feelings for later.

With her ability to communicate, I wonder if that will complicate the doc's signing off on hospice.  Good thing Medicare picks up 100% of hospice.  Have they ruled out a stroke, a bleeder, or a hematoma on/in the brain?  A CT might could pick up the hematoma, I'm not sure.  An MRI or MRA would show stuff, but you'd have to sedate your mom.  I would guess the doc has already done all of these diagnostics.

You be sure and take care of the caretaker!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 am

ounce wrote:It's good and soothing that you and the brothers are on the same page.  That'll save time and hard feelings for later.

With her ability to communicate, I wonder if that will complicate the doc's signing off on hospice.  Good thing Medicare picks up 100% of hospice.  Have they ruled out a stroke, a bleeder, or a hematoma on/in the brain?  A CT might could pick up the hematoma, I'm not sure.  An MRI or MRA would show stuff, but you'd have to sedate your mom.  I would guess the doc has already done all of these diagnostics.

You be sure and take care of the caretaker!
The CT didn't show anything of concern.  We still don't have any definite answers that would explain her dramatic and rapid decline and her equally astounding recovery.  Bleeding ulcer, low electrolytes, and a mild urinary tract infection.  Potentially a slight bump on the head when she fell.  The doctor said none of those issues by themselves would explain her dramatic decline but maybe the combination was enough to knock her off her feet.  

She's coming home tomorrow.  She will need 24 hour care at least for now.  My brother can stay a few more days while we organize something more permanent.  No hospice yet. cheers

I'm not going over to see her tomorrow as I think it's going to be a very tiring day for both her and Larry as they get her settled at home.  My other brothers can help...and Marty's sister Claudia is a nurse and she offered to drop in and help them get settled in.  I'll visit Sunday morning when she's not so tired.

I've been running...update when I have more time.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:13 pm

This morning, I remembered a medical term that fits your mom's actions to a T.  Altered Mental State is doing things they usually wouldn't do and is a big departure from the norm.  It was short lived, yet might happen again.

I recommend wrapping her in bubble wrap. Shocked Shocked
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:45 am

Update on Mom.  She came home on Saturday afternoon.  Mentally she's much better.  Pretty much back to her old safe...where she was a month ago.  Physically she's exhausted and has lost a lot of strength.  It's a battle and takes two helpers to get her between her bed or recliner and her wheel chair.  She did  sit up to the table and eat with us but she fell asleep at the table and spilled her water.  A lot will depend on her willingness to try and regain her strength.  She does not have a good track record.  She chased off the last physical therapist that was doing in home rehab.  We're also struggling to find in home caregivers.  We've got a couple leads and hope to have better luck this week.

Running update.

Friday 12 mile long run on the schedule.  The goal was to slow down from last weeks pace and keep it moderate.

12 miles @ 11:04 HR 142/157 Cad 157

Paces were pretty consistent with a very slight increase in speed the second half of the run.  Pretty happy with this run.

Saturday The plan was 5 easy miles with Janice and then a drive to the gorge to hike with Katie.

6 miles @ 12:09 HR 135/150 Cad 156
Went a bit long and a bit slow....not bad things.

5 mile hike to Dry Creek Falls with Katie and a friend from her gym.  It was drizzling rain but it was a nice hike and we shared a pizza afterwards.  I stayed in the gorge overnight so I'd be closer to visit Mom the next day.

Sunday The plan was to sleep in...maybe take a walk and then head to Mom's house for lunch with her and my brothers.  I couldn't sleep so I finally just got up and got dressed in my hiking clothes.  I located a challenging hike nearby and by 5:15 I was at the trailhead.  It was dark so I waited a couple minutes while I polished off my coffee and banana.

Labyrinth and Canyon Wall loop.  Very challenging 6.63 mile hike with awesome views once I got up above the river.  And the flowers were blooming.  I saw one other hiker during my 3 hour hike...until I got within 10 minutes of the car and then they came out of the woodwork.  I had time to grab a breakfast sandwich and a shower before driving to Mom's.  We had a nice lunch together.

Finished the day with a Hanson strength for runners workout that Melissa had posted on my schedule for Saturday.  It included some foam rolling along with body weight strength.  It was harder than it looked on paper but not terribly difficult.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:24 pm

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  Prayers to you, her and your family.

I am my Mom's designated person as well which is why I moved her here to GA after my Dad passed in January, 2018.  She is independent for the most part, but I still have to take her to many appointments, etc., and my sister hasn't seen her since October, 2019.  We lost my FIL this past October and my husband has been in Ohio taking care of his Mom (and both of them since March of last year - we help in the summers, but not the rest of the year).  It is a challenge watching our parents age.  My FIL has still not been buried in the family plot in Boston.

Stay strong.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:30 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry to hear about your Mom.  Prayers to you, her and your family.

I am my Mom's designated person as well which is why I moved her here to GA after my Dad passed in January, 2018.  She is independent for the most part, but I still have to take her to many appointments, etc., and my sister hasn't seen her since October, 2019.  We lost my FIL this past October and my husband has been in Ohio taking care of his Mom (and both of them since March of last year - we help in the summers, but not the rest of the year).  It is a challenge watching our parents age.  My FIL has still not been buried in the family plot in Boston.

Stay strong.
Thanks for the thoughts Michele. 

Mom is living in the house I grew up in.  They moved in when I was 6 months old.  The goal is to keep the farm in the family.  My youngest brother is living on the farm now as well...in his own home.  My oldest brother is a few miles away on the farm my Mom grew up on.  My nephew is living on the farm my Dad grew up on.  Lots of family in the area and that's the best place for Mom even if it does make it a bit difficult for me.

We are making a bit of headway finding caregivers...nothing definite yet.  Mom is not happy about the prospect of someone else being there with her but realizes that is the price for staying in her home.  Hopefully we'll find the help we need and she'll adjust.  In the meantime...we have a gap in family caregivers on Thursday so I'll spend the day with her.

Really fun run this morning!!  I'm apparently not very skilled at hitting the recommended paces...I'll post more later.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry to hear about your Mom.  Prayers to you, her and your family.

Stay strong.

Mom is living in the house I grew up in.  They moved in when I was 6 months old.  The goal is to keep the farm in the family.  My youngest brother is living on the farm now as well...in his own home.  My oldest brother is a few miles away on the farm my Mom grew up on.  My nephew is living on the farm my Dad grew up on.  Lots of family in the area and that's the best place for Mom even if it does make it a bit difficult for me.

We are making a bit of headway finding caregivers...nothing definite yet.  Mom is not happy about the prospect of someone else being there with her but realizes that is the price for staying in her home.  Hopefully we'll find the help we need and she'll adjust.  In the meantime...we have a gap in family caregivers on Thursday so I'll spend the day with her.

Really fun run this morning!!  I'm apparently not very skilled at hitting the recommended paces...I'll post more later.
And you had to go and jump the mountain.  So you're an 'Easterner,' when compared to the rest of them. Laughing

I saw a story on FB from one of the reporters that grew up in really rural Oregon, now in Houston.  She said there's a move afoot to combine Idaho, a bit of Washington, and a whole lot of Oregon (the non-Portland for 50 miles part) into something called Greater Oregon.  You might like that.  In fact, I think you would like it, in principle.

Sounds like some of the stuff down here of people thinking Texas has the right to secede, since it was a Republic, prior to statehood.  Silly people.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Stay strong.

And you had to go and jump the mountain.  So you're an 'Easterner,' when compared to the rest of them. Laughing

I saw a story on FB from one of the reporters that grew up in really rural Oregon, now in Houston.  She said there's a move afoot to combine Idaho, a bit of Washington, and a whole lot of Oregon (the non-Portland for 50 miles part) into something called Greater Oregon.  You might like that.  In fact, I think you would like it, in principle.

Sounds like some of the stuff down here of people thinking Texas has the right to secede, since it was a Republic, prior to statehood.  Silly people.
Yes, we were not overly popular when we headed over the mountain.  The kids were 7, 10, and 12.  They were the oldest and only grandkids living close at the time.  Sandy was getting to populated.  We wanted our kids to grow up in a small town atmosphere like we did...and Marty wanted to transition from a union carpenter/weekend farmer to a full time farmer.  We looked at farms that were 4-5 hours away before settling in Madras less than 2 hours away so that helped.

The Greater Oregon thing is alive and well in our area.  It will never happen.  I will admit that it's frustrating that the greater Portland area folks are able to determine the direction our state goes and we just have to deal with it.  And yes, I am probably more aligned with Idaho politically.

I'm headed over the mountain this morning to fill a gap in my Mom's caregiver schedule today.  Larry flies home this morning.  She's doing better but not pleased with the idea of a full time live-in caregiver.  We're making progress toward a more permanent schedule and cobbling things together while we wait for that to start.

I'll update you on Mom's progress...and my running...tonight or tomorrow morning.

Marty returns from his horse/mule trip later today as well. cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 pm

Ok...quick update after a very very long day.

I spent the day with Mom.  Mentally she seems much better and she's making progress physically but... I realized that she does not remember...or believe that she fell.  That's a problem.  She does not trust any of us and does not see the need for a caregiver.  She says all the right things.  She says she understands and agrees that's the best plan moving forward but...  In the past she and Dad chased off the people we lined up to help.  Mom recently fired the physical therapist.  I think the caregiver is supposed to start at noon tomorrow.  We'll see how this goes.

Running...

Monday 6 easy miles followed by Hanson's strength training for runners.  Day 2 was foam rolling and mostly weighted exercises followed by more foam rolling.

6 miles @ 11:37 HR 139/154 Cad 155

Tuesday Interval workout that was really fun!

2 mile warm up including some dynamic stretching and mobility work.  @11:34 HR 133/149 Cad 155

• Time   Goal Pace   Actual Pace
  • 4 min   HM 9:53        9:12
  • 2 min    Rest            11:44
  • 2 min   10K 9:27        8:29
  • 1 min    Rest            11:33
  • 4 min    HM               9:20
  • 2 min    Rest            11:12
  • 2 min    10K              8:15
  • 1 min    Rest            11:17
  • 4 min    HM               8:42

Overall interval portion 2.33 mi @ 9:29 HR 151/168 Cad 162

2 mile cool down @ 11:26 HR 143/147 Cad 157

As you can see I did not successfully hit the goal paces.  I had permission to go a bit faster but NOT that fast.  Average for the HM pace splits was 9:05 rather than 9:53.  Average for the 10K splits was 8:22 rather than 9:27.  But it was fun.  The goal was to practice hitting the paces in a situation such as the start of the race or when you speed up to pass someone and then settle back it.  I could envision Melissa smiling as she reminded me to take it easy the next day.   Embarassed

Wednesday We moved my easy 6 to Wednesday as I planned to visit Mom on Thursday.  I picked Janice up and we headed to the overlook on a gorgeous morning.  Nailan met us there.  

6.2 miles @ 11:35 HR 138/155 Cad 156

I handed out birthday gifts for everyone compliments of my daughter Katie.  I'll try and insert a photo if I can.  Then we headed to Great Earth to pick up the gift certificate that Nailan won in the MADras Runners challenge drawing.  She treated us to coffee and scones.  Such a fun morning!!

Appreciating friends, family, and all the good things in my life...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:34 pm

It's all about the base - Page 4 10387410
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am

nkrichards wrote:Ok...quick update after a very very long day.

I spent the day with Mom.  Mentally she seems much better and she's making progress physically but... I realized that she does not remember...or believe that she fell.  That's a problem.  She does not trust any of us and does not see the need for a caregiver.  She says all the right things.  She says she understands and agrees that's the best plan moving forward but...  In the past she and Dad chased off the people we lined up to help.  Mom recently fired the physical therapist.  I think the caregiver is supposed to start at noon tomorrow.  We'll see how this goes.

Running...

Monday 6 easy miles followed by Hanson's strength training for runners.  Day 2 was foam rolling and mostly weighted exercises followed by more foam rolling.

6 miles @ 11:37 HR 139/154 Cad 155

Tuesday Interval workout that was really fun!

2 mile warm up including some dynamic stretching and mobility work.  @11:34 HR 133/149 Cad 155

• Time   Goal Pace   Actual Pace
  • 4 min   HM 9:53        9:12
  • 2 min    Rest            11:44
  • 2 min   10K 9:27        8:29
  • 1 min    Rest            11:33
  • 4 min    HM               9:20
  • 2 min    Rest            11:12
  • 2 min    10K              8:15
  • 1 min    Rest            11:17
  • 4 min    HM               8:42

Overall interval portion 2.33 mi @ 9:29 HR 151/168 Cad 162

2 mile cool down @ 11:26 HR 143/147 Cad 157

As you can see I did not successfully hit the goal paces.  I had permission to go a bit faster but NOT that fast.  Average for the HM pace splits was 9:05 rather than 9:53.  Average for the 10K splits was 8:22 rather than 9:27.  But it was fun.  The goal was to practice hitting the paces in a situation such as the start of the race or when you speed up to pass someone and then settle back it.  I could envision Melissa smiling as she reminded me to take it easy the next day.   Embarassed

Wednesday We moved my easy 6 to Wednesday as I planned to visit Mom on Thursday.  I picked Janice up and we headed to the overlook on a gorgeous morning.  Nailan met us there.  

6.2 miles @ 11:35 HR 138/155 Cad 156

I handed out birthday gifts for everyone compliments of my daughter Katie.  I'll try and insert a photo if I can.  Then we headed to Great Earth to pick up the gift certificate that Nailan won in the MADras Runners challenge drawing.  She treated us to coffee and scones.  Such a fun morning!!

Appreciating friends, family, and all the good things in my life...
As far as the running, yeah, that's nice.  I can understand going faster than you seemingly need as you're running a pace workout.  Not checking the watch, I never think I'm going THAT fast.

And your HR is visiting the 130's more and more.

As far as your mom, I hope you're considering a letter of incapacitation from a doctor.  It's not a legal document, as guardianship would be that route, but it satisfies doctors, banks, and everybody else.  I would check the language in the durable POA to see what conditions need to be met for the POA to be activated.  That will take care of everybody on earth.  Except your mom.  As her brain shrinks (atrophy), she isn't noticing any difference in cognitive abilities.  She doesn't know and won't believe that she's lost a step or two...or 4 or 10...in her thinking.  It's much easier to deal with a sibling, under these conditions, than a parent.

Being a co-signer on her bank accounts is good from an estate point of view.  And she can kick you off as a co-signer, if a banker feels there is some fiduciary responsibility to protect the owner of the account, your mom.  But plop that POA on that banker's desk and you're golden, as long as the conditions to activate the POA are met.  The POA is only valid while your mom is alive.  That's where it's nice to be a co-signer, too.

Sorry, if this is old news to you.

Nice picture of your partners in crime.  Guess I'm glad that I don't love coffee.  Have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm

And your HR is visiting the 130's more and more.

I think the more frequent average HR below 140 is the most satisfying stat that I'm seeing.  I am getting better at pacing and that is part of the reason.  My easy runs are easy.  I did better with the pacing on my interval run this week as well.

Friday 10 miles on the schedule.  The goal was just to make sure the 2nd half was faster than the first half but to keep the pace moderate/easy.  I was short time so opted to run from the house instead of driving to the overlook.  That meant more hills and less view.

10 miles @ 11:12 HR 145/163 Cad 157

I was able to turn this into a building run with each mile essentially faster than the previous.  Not perfect due to the location of the hills but pretty nice run overall.  I found a new toy on Strava.  My GAP (Grade Adjusted Pace) for this run was 10:58.   Very Happy

Saturday 6 easy miles in the morning.  Finished the day with 40 minutes of Hanson strength.

6 miles @ 11:22 HR 137/157 Cad 156

It rained.  I live in the high desert.  I never run in the rain.  I didn't melt.  We postponed the run a half hour and then met at the overlook.  It was kind of fun(ny).  We laughed a lot as we dodged the puddles.  Janice and Nailan stopped at 4 miles and left me to finish the last 2 on my own.

Sunday MBF Dynamic Recovery 

Monday Liift4 Chest & Back...Marty is home from his horse/mule trip.   6 easy miles

6 miles @ 11:32 HR 142/158 Cad 156

Tuesday Liift4 Shoulders & Arms.  Fartlek run on the schedule.

I had to run early as I had a phone meeting scheduled for later.  I was still digesting breakfast and still a bit tired from our strength work.

The run was a 2 mile warm up followed by 5,4,3,2,1 minute of hard effort with 2 minutes of rest in between each hard effort.  The goal was to do the first interval at 10K pace (9:27) and speed up slightly each interval finishing at a 5K pace (9:04) but I had permission to go sub 9:00.  Very Happy  A 2 mile cool down to finish the run.

My intervals were @ 9:22, 9:20, 9:13, 9:06, 8:15.

Pretty happy with this run!  I did a much better job of controlling the paces and hitting the target.

Off to see Mom tomorrow.  She's doing so much better that we're wondering if she's going to need a 24 hour caregiver after a few more weeks. We're not considering taking away her ability to make her own decisions yet.  She does struggle a bit but not enough to do anything to upset her.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 09, 2021 9:32 pm

Had lunch with Mom on Wednesday.  One of her caregivers was exposed to COVID.  Even though Mom's been vaccinated they won't allow her to care for Mom for two weeks.  Family is back on duty.  Mom is doing much better and wants to test her abilities.  My brother and his wife who live next door want to restrict her efforts as they are worried she may fall.  My attitude is that if she falls then we'll pick her up.  As long as she's willing to have help nearby of course.  And I'm not talking about stairs...just standing up and walking to the bathroom on her own.  I value quality of life over quantity.

Wednesday  Liift4 Legs before I drove over to spend the day with Mom.

Thursday 6 easy miles on the schedule

6 miles @ 11:22 HR 143/157 Cad 157

Friday Long run at the overlook.  I set a bottle of Infinit out and ran past every 3-4 miles and grabbed it.

12 miles @ 10:43 HR 144/164 Cad 159

Building run.  Last mile @ 10:12.  Pretty pleased to see a slightly higher cadence.  My cadence has been a bit low lately.  

Saturday  Liift4 Full Body Hiit.  Last workout in the 8 week program.  5 easy miles.

5 miles @ 11:23 HR 137/154 Cad 157

Nice HR and decent cadence for an easy, lower HR run.

Then I was off for coffee and treats with Janice, Chuck, and Nailan.  Nailan is headed to the east coast to spend 3 weeks with her daughter.  Janice is limiting her running as she rests her feet and figures out a path forward.  She's been in terrible pain and finally made an appointment.  MRI and specialist are next.  Her ligaments and tendons have all collapsed.  I'm on my own I guess.

Katie picked up my MIL and brought her over for the weekend.  First time in ages that we've been able to get all 3 kids and 8 grandkids together!  Dinner last night at Kevin's and breakfast at Gary's.  Nice weekend.

My next 3 weeks of training is posted.  She's ramping things up... Shocked
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Well, there are many ways to try to manage her activities.  As long as y'all recognize what her true limitations are, and not what they were or could grow to become, then that is a big step.  Personally, I suggest bubble wrap.   Rolling Eyes

So what was different between the Wednesday 6 mile run and the Saturday 5 mile run?  Especially with your 12 mile run on Friday and your Saturday HR was STILL lower than any run, that week.

Is your coach bringing out the bullwhip for your new schedule?

Keep up with the performance!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 12, 2021 1:11 pm

ounce wrote:Well, there are many ways to try to manage her activities.  As long as y'all recognize what her true limitations are, and not what they were or could grow to become, then that is a big step.  Personally, I suggest bubble wrap.   Rolling Eyes

So what was different between the Wednesday 6 mile run and the Saturday 5 mile run?  Especially with your 12 mile run on Friday and your Saturday HR was STILL lower than any run, that week.

Is your coach bringing out the bullwhip for your new schedule?

Keep up with the performance!
Mom is continuing to improve...and getting more frustrated with the restrictions my brother and his wife have kept in place.  I had a nice visit with her yesterday.

So Your question about the difference between those two runs last week...my first thought was life stress carrying over to my runs.  I went back and looked a bit closer.  There are a couple other factors.  The Saturday lower HR run was shorter.  It was earlier and cooler (34 vs 56).  Same course so similar elevation.  I had actually done a Liift4 Full Body Hiit workout on Saturday before running.  Maybe I was warmed up and ready to run.  I think any/all of those things may have been factors but I'm sticking with the main difference being life stress but I will give a bit of credit to the difference in temperature.

I had a nice Mother's Day weekend.  Dinner on Saturday at Kevin's house and breakfast on Sunday at Gary's.  It's the first time we've managed to get all 3 kids and all 8 grandkids together since the twins were born over 18 months ago!  It was a shame my Mom wasn't there but it is what it is.

Sunday After we sent Katie and my MIL on their way Marty and I did our Sunday workout.  MBF Dynamic Recovery and then while he was doing his evening irrigation I took 10 minutes to do the Liift4 Roll and Recover.  I'm not good at remembering to foam roll.  Shocked

Monday I had to change up the schedule a bit this week so my interval run was this morning...and Melissa really increased the intensity!

2 mile warm up @11:29 including dynamic mobility
5 miles w/10x400 (400 rest)  Goal was first 5 @10K pace (9:27) last 5 @5K pace (9:04)

1. 9:25
  2. 9:18
  3. 9:15
  4. 9:12
  5. 9:13
  6. 9:06
  7. 9:06
  8. 9:04
  9. 8:47
  10. 8:36

2 mile cool down @ 11:24

So the average for the first 5 was 9:17 and the average for the last 5 was 8:56.  A bit faster than the goal but Melissa complimented my pacing.  It was much better than past runs.  She doesn't mind the last couple being a bit faster than goal pace.  It's starting to fast and not being able to finish at goal that is discouraged.

Pretty happy with this run especially since the interval portion was twice as long as previous interval runs.

Tuesday Up early for an easy 6 before I showered and headed over the mountain for lunch with Mom.

6 miles @ 11:09 HR 141/154 Cad 159

Pretty pleased with the pace, HR, and cadence after my tough interval run the day before.  

Wednesday 10 Rounds Lower Body.  Marty and I started a new program this morning.  We're going to do the strength workouts in the 10 Rounds program.  It will be 2 days a week alternating lower and upper body.  Workouts include core work.  Workouts are 30 minutes and we add the 5 minute stretch.  If time/schedule allows we'll add a total body workout from another program and will continue to do our Sunday recovery.  Days may need to be flexible.

Gorgeous weather in Central Oregon.  We planted garden on Monday.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 am

I imagine the grandkids were quite startled seeing the twins walking and the twins curious about these 'short grown ups.'

Those 440 splits were quite nice.  Those ought to make your HR on easy miles lower.  Maybe the first mile might be higher because your heart was probably startled at the 440s and didn't want to get caught off guard.

Finally, something for Freddy to do. bounce bounce

Good luck with her program.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 pm

Yes, it was fun to take Freddy along...with permission of course.  Wink

Thursday 10 Rounds Upper body & stretch.  6 easy miles.

6.2 miles @ 11:35 145/157 Cad 156

Janice has been having a lot of trouble with her feet but got them taped and wanted to give running another try.  I ran 3 miles and she jumped in to finish.  She really struggled and we had to go pretty slowly.  She is very discouraged.

Friday Tried to get started early as it was going to get pretty warm.  It was 65 at the finish but felt much warmer than that.  It's going to take some time to acclimate.

10 miles @ 11:00 148/164 Cad 158

Pretty happy with the pacing on this run.  I started out pretty easy @11:28 and essentially increased the pace slightly each mile finishing with a 10:27 mile.  I am even more pleased with the cadence.  I haven't made it a bit priority but it's nice to see it at this level.  It should probably be higher but...  HR reflects the warmer temperature.

Saturday We tried a new strength workout this morning.  Not my favorite but it was a decent full body workout.  We dawdled over breakfast and coffee and it was warm when I finally headed out the door.  I actually thought it would be good to run in warmer temperatures especially since it was an easy run.  I did keep it pretty easy.

6 miles @ 11:26 HR 141/160 Cad 158

But the news is...hold on...Janice's husband tested positive for COVID.  I gave Janice a ride home on Thursday morning.   affraid  Chuck wasn't feeling great on Thursday but didn't get sick enough to be concerned until later in the day.  Janice developed a cough Friday night.  Not sure if she's been tested.  So...I'm limiting my contact with everyone except Marty at least for the next few days.  Drinking lots of water and taking Emergen-C which has a bit of zinc in it.  So far feeling fine...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am

nkrichards wrote:Yes, it was fun to take Freddy along...with permission of course.  Wink

Thursday 10 Rounds Upper body & stretch.  6 easy miles.

6.2 miles @ 11:35 145/157 Cad 156

Janice has been having a lot of trouble with her feet but got them taped and wanted to give running another try.  I ran 3 miles and she jumped in to finish.  She really struggled and we had to go pretty slowly.  She is very discouraged.

Friday Tried to get started early as it was going to get pretty warm.  It was 65 at the finish but felt much warmer than that.  It's going to take some time to acclimate.

10 miles @ 11:00 148/164 Cad 158

Pretty happy with the pacing on this run.  I started out pretty easy @11:28 and essentially increased the pace slightly each mile finishing with a 10:27 mile.  I am even more pleased with the cadence.  I haven't made it a bit priority but it's nice to see it at this level.  It should probably be higher but...  HR reflects the warmer temperature.

Saturday We tried a new strength workout this morning.  Not my favorite but it was a decent full body workout.  We dawdled over breakfast and coffee and it was warm when I finally headed out the door.  I actually thought it would be good to run in warmer temperatures especially since it was an easy run.  I did keep it pretty easy.

6 miles @ 11:26 HR 141/160 Cad 158

But the news is...hold on...Janice's husband tested positive for COVID.  I gave Janice a ride home on Thursday morning.   affraid  Chuck wasn't feeling great on Thursday but didn't get sick enough to be concerned until later in the day.  Janice developed a cough Friday night.  Not sure if she's been tested.  So...I'm limiting my contact with everyone except Marty at least for the next few days.  Drinking lots of water and taking Emergen-C which has a bit of zinc in it.  So far feeling fine...
Janice needs to accept that she'll be off the road for a little while and the sooner she visits the doc, the better.

As far as y'alls weather, I saw where your area is going to be much warmer than usual for the next week or so.  Hope it breaks after that week.  I'm glad that I'm not the only one that affected for running in warmer weather. But y'all are too north in the latitudes to be this warm.  How will it affect the plants that are in the ground?  Use more water?

Good running, but send Freddy down here for a while, unless Rapido Ricardo shows up.

Was it Emma that was graduating, this year?  Did she decide on a school to go for the next 4 years?

Have you received the vaccine yet?  I can't remember if supply had made it to your side of the mountain.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 20, 2021 5:36 pm

ounce wrote:Janice needs to accept that she'll be off the road for a little while and the sooner she visits the doc, the better.

As far as y'alls weather, I saw where your area is going to be much warmer than usual for the next week or so.  Hope it breaks after that week.  I'm glad that I'm not the only one that affected for running in warmer weather. But y'all are too north in the latitudes to be this warm.  How will it affect the plants that are in the ground?  Use more water?

Good running, but send Freddy down here for a while, unless Rapido Ricardo shows up.

Was it Emma that was graduating, this year?  Did she decide on a school to go for the next 4 years?

Have you received the vaccine yet?  I can't remember if supply had made it to your side of the mountain.
Yes, Janice is off the road...between her foot problems and COVID it may be a long time before she's able to run again.  I took her some groceries today.  She did test positive.  She said she and Chuck both have good days and bad days.  Mostly just fever, body aches, and fatigue...a very slight cough but not bad.  She said it's not much different than a mild/moderate cold or flu.

I'm still feeling fine.  It's been a full week since my exposure.  I have not had my vaccination yet and to tell you the honest truth I'm not in a big hurry.  Our area is only 39% vaccinated.  I'll leave the available vaccine for the folks that really want it.  I'm still avoiding close contact with anyone other than Marty.  Although I did put on my mask and venture into the grocery store this morning.

Emma is a Junior this year.  She has more than enough credits to graduate and talked about graduating early but decided she wants to participate in school activities and enjoy her Senior year.  She was elected District President for FFA (Future Farmers of America) and wants to run for a state office.  Elections will be next March and she would take a year off between high school and college to fulfill her duties.  Her Dad, Gary, and uncle Kevin were both state officers.  It's a big deal.  

The weather.  Don't ask.  We're in the middle of a multi-year drought and the news just keeps getting worse.  Fortunately we (Kevin) was proactive and found some land to lease so we could use the water allocated to that land.  We planted a bit of it to high value seed crops but planted most of it to a cover crop to control erosion and weeds and will use the water for our high value crops and to keep our "home place" viable.  The hot weather we had last week didn't help.  But it's cold and windy again now...with a hard frost last night.   What a Face  Not good timing for freezing temps.  It's supposed to warm again next week and we'll cut hay.

Sunday Dynamic recovery

Monday This was a fun...and very challenging...run.  It was VERY warm.

2 mile WU @11:44 HR 141/162 Cad 154  Including dynamic mobility which affects the HR and cadence.
4x1200 Goal HM pace (9:53)  Rest 400  Overall pace 10:12 HR 156/170 Cad 161

1. 9:46
  2. 9:50
  3. 9:47
  4. 9:37

2 mile CD @ 11:49 HR 150/162 Cad 159

My biggest challenge was hitting the pace (slowing down) and then sticking to it.  I found myself reacting to often and to much rather than easing into the pace adjustments.  The elevation changes on my route didn't help.  It was a bit fast but not terrible with an average pace of 9:45 for the intervals.  Good practice pacing and dealing with the warm temps as well.

Tuesday 6 easy on the calendar.

6 miles @ 11:14 HR 136/151 Cad 157

Wednesday Rest day

Thursday Marty and I did an early morning leg workout and I waited for it to warm up a bit before I headed out for my easy 6.

6 miles @ 10:58 HR 143/161 Cad 159

A bit fast for an easy run as reflected in the HR.  Considering we did a leg workout earlier it was a pretty nice run.  I was pleased to see the cadence.

It's going to be chilly and windy for my 12 miler in the morning...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 pm

I'm always curious about those that test positive, moreso after they test negative and resume normal, or the new normal, activities.  Not knowing her past, other than the near blindness, it'll be interesting.  

Emma delaying going off to college to be a State FFA officer is about the most legitimate reason for not going on straight to college that I've heard.  Maybe she could take a couple of core classes online to knock out a few.  Or dual credit courses her senior year.  My best friend's daughter is graduating high school on Sunday evening.  I had given her a batch of sweeter fudge, "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Suess and "The Millionaire Next Door" so she can get some finance knowledge.

So, your pace.  Do you think you could let your HR give you a gauge on how the pace is going?  I don't know how to regulate pace, other than just being tired and slowing down.  I'm aces at that!

You just keep ultreyaing along and keep Melissa happy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 21, 2021 10:09 pm

ounce wrote:I'm always curious about those that test positive, moreso after they test negative and resume normal, or the new normal, activities.  Not knowing her past, other than the near blindness, it'll be interesting.  

Emma delaying going off to college to be a State FFA officer is about the most legitimate reason for not going on straight to college that I've heard.  Maybe she could take a couple of core classes online to knock out a few.  Or dual credit courses her senior year.  My best friend's daughter is graduating high school on Sunday evening.  I had given her a batch of sweeter fudge, "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Suess and "The Millionaire Next Door" so she can get some finance knowledge.

So, your pace.  Do you think you could let your HR give you a gauge on how the pace is going?  I don't know how to regulate pace, other than just being tired and slowing down.  I'm aces at that!

You just keep ultreyaing along and keep Melissa happy.
It will be interesting to see how quickly Janice and Chuck recover.  It doesn't seem to have hit them very hard.  We have a couple other friends...our age...who recovered very quickly with not lingering issues.

Emma has been taking college courses since her freshman year.  She will have an associates degree when she graduates HS.  Her younger sister, Izzy, is on the same path.  The benefits of the year spent serving as a state FFA officer are immeasurable.  It's not for everyone but Kevin especially gained a lot of skills and life experience that were much more valuable than a year in school.

My go to gift for graduates is "The Red Rubber Ball" by Kevin Carroll.

So pacing...  It's a skill that takes practice.  That's part of the reason Melissa assigns runs with different pace goals.  I need to learn to recognize an appropriate pace without the benefit of technology.  Part of the problem right now is that it's getting easier to run fast...and so I do.  I am getting better at running more consistent paces.  If you remember earlier this year my first mile was always fast and my second mile was always slower.  I'm getting better at starting slow and easing into an appropriate pace for my easy and long runs.  It's when I try to jump into interval work that I struggle.  It will come.

So my 12 miler today was cold and windy with a bit of rain thrown in for good measure.  I carried water and Gu to practice fueling.

12 miles @ 10:33 HR 145/163 Cadence 159

1. 11:08
  2. 10:46
  3. 11:18
  4. 10:37
  5. 10:39
  6. 10:41
  7. 10:34
  8. 10:35
  9. 10:37
  10. 10:14
  11.   9:49
  12.   9:39

This run was much faster...and much easier than I expected.  Also pleased with the cadence.  I went to the overlook but expanded my route to add some small rolling hills...and a couple cattle guards.  Mile 3 had some elevation gain and I also intentionally slowed as I thought mile 2 was a bit fast.  But that 10:35-10:40 pace just felt good so I decided to go with it and see what happened.  I accidentally sped up to marathon pace (10:18) in mile 10.  Now that I finally learned to pace conservative enough to build and finish fast I didn't want to disappoint myself so I gave it a bit more effort.  I was surprised to finish mile 11 under HM pace (9:53).  I did wonder what Melissa would say about my finish but couldn't pass up the opportunity to knock off a couple more seconds even if I got a scolding.  Melissa's workout comments were "Throwing down to finish!  Enjoy your weekend."  I know Melissa well enough to know that she'll watch my pace for my easy 6 tomorrow.  She'll expect me to slow a bit but will also watch to see if I've recovered from this run.  If I have then the faster pace today will be acceptable.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 28, 2021 7:25 pm

Saw Kevin on PBS news hour a minute ago!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 28, 2021 10:05 pm

ounce wrote:Saw Kevin on PBS news hour a minute ago!
Hopefully we're recording it to watch later.  They interviewed him yesterday.

I didn't realize it had been a full week since I updated.  

Saturday Upper body strength, 6 miles easy, and a short roll and recovery session

6 miles @ 11:14 HR 140/151 Cad 155

Sunday Dynamic Recovery and a horse ride.

Monday 8.25 miles including 6 x 600 (400 rest) Goal pace 5k (9:04) -10K (9:27)

WU 2 miles @ 11:40

1. @9:20
  2. @9:16
  3. @9:08
  4. @9:06
  5. @8:56
  6. @8:51

CD 2 miles @ 11:09

Quite happy with those paces!

Tuesday Leg strength and then a visit with Mom

Wednesday Upper body strength and 6 miles easy

6 miles @ 11:17 HR 136/153 Cad 158

Thursday Full body express and 6 easy miles

6 miles @ 11:14 HR 138/155 Cad 157

Friday 9 miles including 4 x 1 miles goal pace HM (9:50-9:56) rest 400

WU 2 miles @ 11:12

1. 9:54
  2. 9:52
  3. 9:48
  4. 9:30

CD 2 miles @ 11:03

I got in some really nice running this week.  I finally came right out and asked Melissa if I was pushing the pace harder than I should.  She said it was fine but not to be concerned if I needed to slow down as it got hot and my mileage increased.  As long as my HR is appropriate, I'm finishing fast vs fading at the end, and I'm recovering without skipping runs she's OK with my paces.  She reminded me to listen to my body.

Mom is struggling...more mentally than physically.  She has huge swings...great days and then terrible days.

We're getting busy on the farm.  We start cutting hay tomorrow.

We now have a new tradition.  Chicken Wednesday when we host all 5 of Kevin's kids for dinner.  Sometimes Kevin joins us.  Natalie has Beachbody calls that night.

Life is good...and busy...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 29, 2021 4:21 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Saw Kevin on PBS news hour a minute ago!
Hopefully we're recording it to watch later.  They interviewed him yesterday.

I didn't realize it had been a full week since I updated.  

Saturday Upper body strength, 6 miles easy, and a short roll and recovery session

6 miles @ 11:14 HR 140/151 Cad 155

Sunday Dynamic Recovery and a horse ride.

Monday 8.25 miles including 6 x 600 (400 rest) Goal pace 5k (9:04) -10K (9:27)

WU 2 miles @ 11:40

1. @9:20
  2. @9:16
  3. @9:08
  4. @9:06
  5. @8:56
  6. @8:51

CD 2 miles @ 11:09

Quite happy with those paces!

Tuesday Leg strength and then a visit with Mom

Wednesday Upper body strength and 6 miles easy

6 miles @ 11:17 HR 136/153 Cad 158

Thursday Full body express and 6 easy miles

6 miles @ 11:14 HR 138/155 Cad 157

Friday 9 miles including 4 x 1 miles goal pace HM (9:50-9:56) rest 400

WU 2 miles @ 11:12

1. 9:54
  2. 9:52
  3. 9:48
  4. 9:30

CD 2 miles @ 11:03

I got in some really nice running this week.  I finally came right out and asked Melissa if I was pushing the pace harder than I should.  She said it was fine but not to be concerned if I needed to slow down as it got hot and my mileage increased.  As long as my HR is appropriate, I'm finishing fast vs fading at the end, and I'm recovering without skipping runs she's OK with my paces.  She reminded me to listen to my body.

Mom is struggling...more mentally than physically.  She has huge swings...great days and then terrible days.

We're getting busy on the farm.  We start cutting hay tomorrow.

We now have a new tradition.  Chicken Wednesday when we host all 5 of Kevin's kids for dinner.  Sometimes Kevin joins us.  Natalie has Beachbody calls that night.

Life is good...and busy...
If your recording doesn't work.
PBS NewsHour | Season 2021 | May 28, 2021 - PBS NewsHour full episode | PBS

PBS NewsHour | Season 2021 | May 28, 2021 - PBS NewsHour full episode | PBS
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content