365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's all about the base

5 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

It's all about the base - Page 3 Empty Re: It's all about the base

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:07 am

ounce wrote:So what DID you tell Melissa that your goals were?  I'd go ahead and tell her about Boston.  I'm sure she's still trying to figure out what kind of Energizer Bunny she has as a new client. 

Did Janice adequately get her orthotics adjusted?  I guess the orthotic is hinged at the ankle?  

I will go back and check out the splits, but I wanted to at least let you know that you're not just typing to pad your Post count.  I did notice a double posting on one of them. Shocked

Glad that you finally shook that cold.

Oh, I have a climate and plumbing question for you.  How do y'all insulate the water pipes from freezing and what material are the water pipes made out of?  Lots of copper and PCV is making way for PEX and another kind.  If I was building a home or similar, I'd insulate it as if I was living in South Dakota.  I kinda feel we will have a couple more Winter Storms like we had attack on Valentines Day, before I croak.
I did share my BQ goal with Melissa and explained that I was willing to take time to get there.  I'm just not sharing my goal with friends and family yet...  I have not introduced Melissa to Fast Freddy yet but I'm sure that sooner or later he'll drop by for a visit and she'll get to know him.

Janice's orthotics are pretty simple...just inserts in her shoes to support her arches and keep her ankles from falling inward.  She is very flat footed and her ankles have a tendency to collapse.  She's hoping to avoid ankle surgery.  She taped the rough spot on the orthotic.  I think it's kind of like breaking in a new pair of hiking boots.

Plumbing...I remember when we used galvanized pipe.  Then sweated copper pipe.  And I guess PVC but mostly outdoors...I don't remember using it much in home construction.  Now they have gone to a new plastic...not sure of the name...that can withstand some freezing without bursting.  You have to have special tools to install it.  Kevin is doing some plumbing in his new chicken and pig house and he was able to borrow the tools from a plumber friend.  Even with the new plastic plumbing everyone just make sure that the pipes are in a well insulated area.  They avoid pipes in outside walls if possible.  If pipes are in outside walls, crawl spaces, or above ceilings they insulate them very well.  We don't have much trouble and we frequently have sub-zero temperatures.

Tuesday MBFA Core Circuit.  I got my 6 mile easy run in this morning and then spent the rest of the day in the tractor. 

6 miles @ 11:41 HR 141/153 Cad 161

It's interesting...yesterday's run was
5 miles @ 11:38 HR 145/160 Cad 158

The stats aren't that much different but today's run was a much better run.  I don't have time to list all the splits but lets just say that yesterday the first mile was 11:15.  Today it was 11:51.  Overall I was only 3 seconds per mile slower today but the HR average and max were both better...and so was the cadence.  I felt much more comfortable during this run and Melissa complimented my pacing today.  Now I need to remember what I did today and recreate it.

Janice is meeting me for 5 easy miles tomorrow.  Bedtime.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:26 am

Ooo! Coaching services?!? Nancy's going big-time! 

I bet Melissa is going to have a great reaction to her first meeting with Fast Freddy. Very Happy

I hope that Janice has also been given some PT exercises to strengthen her lower leg muscles and core. That can help as much as orthotics for some people, and it an greatly improve the stability of the whole kinetic chain and avoid other injuries.

Tips for Doug:

What I know of pipes and freezing is that placement of pipes is at least as important as the material. For example, outdoor taps on an unheated garage wall ought to have a cutoff valve in the core of the house to allow water to be shut off if it gets cold. Another set-up involves a system that allows water to recirculate to an outdoor tap instead of just sitting there. Most frozen pipes around my parts seem to stem from poorly prepared outdoor taps/hose bibs. They do a brisk business selling styrofoam covers that fit over hose bibs to prevent freezing.

Another precaution is to make sure the foundation vents leading into the crawl space under the house have barriers in place to keep the cold air out. Remove them in warmer weather to avoid radon gas buildup. And if it gets REALLY cold, turn on the taps inside the house and let it run as a trickle overnight or through the very cold spell. Moving water is less likely to freeze up.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:24 pm

Mark B wrote:Ooo! Coaching services?!? Nancy's going big-time! 

I bet Melissa is going to have a great reaction to her first meeting with Fast Freddy. Very Happy

I hope that Janice has also been given some PT exercises to strengthen her lower leg muscles and core. That can help as much as orthotics for some people, and it an greatly improve the stability of the whole kinetic chain and avoid other injuries.
Thanks for dropping in Mark.  Yes...I made the leap.  It's a bit scary when I think about it.  What a Face

Melissa may have been introduced to Fast Freddy for the final couple miles of my long run on Friday.  She didn't seem to shocked.  Maybe Michele warned her about my training style.  Very Happy

I mentioned your suggestion to Janice.  She said that she had done some exercises in the past but it had been a while.  Sounds like she's going to make a couple appointments and get some updated advice.  She is very committed to doing whatever is necessary to be able to continue running.  She is quite the impressive lady for a 74 year old, legally blind, runner with osteoporosis.  We've both made some huge improvements since we started running together last spring.

As you can see I've struggled to find time to post here.  We're getting busy on the farm.  So far I've been able to prioritize my running and fit it in.  I did have to swap my run/rest days on Wed/Thur but Melissa was fine with that.  I'm liking the accountability but there is enough flexibility that I think I'm going to be able to make it work.

As far as strength/core work...Marty and I just finished MBFA.  We've worked out 7 days a week for 6 weeks without missing a day!  We're going to start Liift4 again.  It's 4 days a week MTWT.  We'll have to be flexible and just do it when Marty has time.  Melissa actually mentioned that I needed to cut back on my strength work as she increased/intensified my run training so this should work out well.

Wednesday MBFA Upper Body Burn.  As mentioned previously I did meet Janice for an easy run.  I was hoping she would help me slow down to a true easy pace.  She did well.  She invited Nailon and we had to run her pace.  She did pick a hilly route which is not usually the case...she dislikes hills.

5.25 miles @ 12:21 HR 136/154 Cadence 158

Thursday MBFA Core Circuit.  Drove to the valley to pick up 7 ton of seed and circled through Sandy to have a bowl of take away soup with Mom and my brother and his wife.  Long day.

Friday MBFA Full Body Burn. 20 mph winds!  What a Face  A long run was in the plan.  I would have rescheduled but I knew Melissa was watching and Janice offered to run at least part with me.  

8 miles @ 10:48 HR 151/172 Cadence 161

Mile 6 10:12, Mile 7 9:58, Mile 8 9:11  Darn that Fast Freddy.  Melissa's only comment was that it was a nice finish and that I must have had a tailwind for that section.   Laughing Laughing

I jogged back to where Janice was and finished her run with her giving me a nice .7 mile cool down.

Saturday MBFA Power Ignite. Recovery run on the schedule.

5 miles @ 11:32 HR 135/150 Cadence 160

I liked the looks of that and so did Melissa.

Sunday MBFA Dynamic Recovery

It was a good week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 am

Woohoo! Finally seeing some 130's!! How's your RHR, these days?

It won't be long before 11s and 130s will show up as the average...even if it's 11:59 and 139.

I wonder if Freddy would be happy by doing speedwork or a fast last mile in a 5+ miles run? Maybe that could be all the stimulation he needs.

How's the overall combined function of activities and life co-existing? I wonder if Freddy is friend or foe (guard dog or pop-off valve)? Is he an early warning system in your life or raccoon stealing/rummaging through your life?

How does the rest of your day proceed when he's driving the run? Just a thought.

Very nice runs. Melissa should be more ecstatic.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:06 pm

It is pretty exciting to see runs with a HR in the 130's.  I messaged Melissa about my HR concerns during easy runs.  She said that some people...she is one of them...just have a slightly higher natural HR.  She said to try and keep it in the 140's or below but not to worry to much about it.  It's more important that the easy runs feel easy to me.

It took quite some time for my RHR to come back down after my cold.  It's back into the 148-149 range again which is where it was before my cold.  It's kind of interesting as my watch often records a HR below 145 but my RHR is never in that range.  I took a quick look at the Garmin website and I guess it tries to determine your RHR while awake.  Sleeping doesn't count.

I think Melissa is still trying to determine where I'm at before she suggests to many changes.  She will realize that I have a slightly higher HR, tend to run to fast on occasion...most training occasions...and need a bit of flexibility to deal with life.  She's keeping my training pretty easy compared to what I've done in the past.  My "speedwork" this week is 6 miles easy with 4x1 minute at half marathon/10K pace.  She's easing me into it pretty slowly.

I don't think it hurts at all for Fast Freddy to pop in for an occasional jaunt at the end of a long run or during a tempo or interval run.  I think it is important that I leave him locked securely in the closet on easy/recovery days.  I will admit that I was pretty pooped after my long run on Friday when he accompanied me for the last 2-3 miles.  I could feel the effort the rest of the day.  But my recovery run on Saturday went well.  I'm realizing that if I can concentrate on my run and not all the other things in my life I can keep my HR at a better level.

Life is starting to get a bit hectic.  We're getting busy on the farm and I've been struggling a bit to keep up.  I really do need to learn how to manage my stress levels when things don't go smoothly.  Applying for a PPP Loan is not a smooth process!!  Marty is pretty supportive most of the time.  We're cutting back a bit on our strength work now that he needs to be out the door to work earlier.  We are going to try and continue at least 2-4 days per week.  We'll need to make a point to get to bed early!

Oh...I forgot to mention that I had a virtual appointment with Dr. B last Wednesday.  I wanted to do it before I committed to coaching but wasn't able to get it scheduled in time.  He's very supportive and pleased with my attitude.  I'm sure he's more aware than I was that most of my problem at least recently has been mental not physical.  I asked if the heart damage that I have...primarily Right Bundle Branch Block...has any affect on my running ability.  He said no.  He is pleased with my blood test results.  He doesn't recommend additional testing at this time.  I have an appointment for my in person annual appointment in June.

Off to meet Janice for an easy run this morning.  It's snowing lightly...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:01 pm

Monday  Liift4 Chest and Triceps  We started a new program.  4 days a week but aren't going to stress if we can't stay on schedule.

My run with Janice was fun.  It continued to snow lightly.  The snow just floated down...didn't even turn the ground white.  It was actually quite pretty and quite pleasant.  A local charity just announced that they are hosting a small race on April 3rd.  The 10K is a challenging hilly course.  We ran a portion of it.  Janice is not impressed.

5.4 @ 11:46 HR 142/163 Cadence 159

HR reflects the hills.

Tuesday Liift4 Back & Biceps.  Melissa had some speedwork on my schedule this morning.  4x1 minute (rest 1 minute)  She's really easing me in...I think she's still assessing my abilities.

6 miles w/4x1 min  HR 143/163 Cadence 159

Interval pace recommendation was Half Marathon-10K pace (9:53-9:27).  Mine averaged 8:52.  That damn Freddy.  She doesn't seem concerned but we did talk about Fast Freddy and she suggested he stay home except on race day.   Razz

Wednesday is rest day.  No Liift4.  No running.  I'm going to drive in to Bend to do some errands.  I'll stop at the running store for a shoe fitting.  Brooks discontinued Ravenna's which has been my go to shoe forever.  I figured it was a good time for a proper fitting instead of just ordering the suggested replacement on-line.

It's going to feel odd not to do any training at all...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:35 pm

I've been real swamped with work and I was wondering how things were going with Melissa.  I really love working with her and she has been very good for me.  I, too, am one that needs to make sure that easy runs stay easy.   Keep up the good work.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:40 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I've been real swamped with work and I was wondering how things were going with Melissa.  I really love working with her and she has been very good for me.  I, too, am one that needs to make sure that easy runs stay easy.   Keep up the good work.
Thanks for checking in Michele.  I'm enjoying working with Melissa.  She's probably getting tired of all my questions.  She's keeping things pretty easy for now.  My guess is that she's still evaluating my ability.  I'm trying to behave myself but will admit that I'm anxious to do some faster stuff.  

It's good to see you back on your bike and in the pool.  I always enjoyed swimming as a recovery workout.  You had a tough marathon.  You deserve some recovery time.

Take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:02 pm

Okay...I think I have time to stop and post before I move on to my next responsibility.

Thursday Liift4 Shoulders.  Easy run to try out my new shoes...details below.

5 miles @ 11:34 HR 140/154 Cad 158

It was icy in the morning.  I waited a bit to long and overdressed.   I liked the feel of the Adrenaline but they definitely did feel different.  

Friday Liift4 Legs.  Maybe I should have moved leg day to my easy run day...

9.25 miles @ 11:08 HR 142/153 Cad 159

This was an awesome run!  My fingers were a bit chilly but shorts and a light long sleeve shirt were perfect.  Nailan found our 8 mile run last week a bit to long so we made a plan.  I started early.  Janice, Nailan, and Chuck (Janice's husband) joined me around mile 3 and we ran the last 10k together.  It worked perfectly.

I ended up running a negative split...ran a bit farther when the others turned around and sped up during the last mile.  Super happy with this run.  And it was so much fun!!

So as mentioned in a previous post, Wednesday was rest day.  I headed to Bend and stopped by the CPA firm, picked up bread at the good bakery, bought our favorite cheese, and then headed to the running store.  

Brooks is discontinuing Ravenna so I decided it was time for a fitting.  I ended up with a pair of Launch GTS which is supposed to be the Ravenna with a new name.  But coach Melissa suggested I try on the Adrenaline as well.  It's got the same GTS support but is more cushioned.  Ravenna/Launch are considered a "speed" shoe.  I liked the feel but was nervous about changing.  I've been in the Ravenna for years and it's worked well for me.  I ended up with a pair of Adrenaline as well.

Here's the plan.  I'll wear the Adrenaline on easy run days.  The cushioning should be nice on easy/recovery days.  I'll continue to run faster and longer runs in my Ravenna as they don't have a lot of miles on them.  When it's time to abandon them I'll switch to the Launch for the fast/long days.  Hopefully making the changes gradually and alternating shoes will work well. 

Another gorgeous day forecast for tomorrow then our spring winds return...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:25 pm

Saturday No strength work today as we're cutting back a bit as we get busier on the farm.

5 miles @ 11:43 HR 145/160 Cad 157

Don't like the looks of the HR stats.  It didn't feel that hard.  I think it was funky readings.  The high stuff was in the first mile.  I didn't worry about it to much.  Just ran by perceived effort.  I will admit that my legs were a bit tired and sluggish after leg strength work followed by 9 miles yesterday....but not terrible.  Wore the Adrenaline again.  They still feel a bit awkward...higher lift I think.  Not terrible but different.

Sunday Taking time for a horse ride with Marty, Gary & Emma followed by pie (Pi day) with Kevin's family for the twins 18 month b'day.

Slight chance of snow/rain tonight...windy and cooler tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Monday Liift4 Chest & Triceps.  We got a skiff of snow last night.  I had to run early as today was going to be hectic and the wind was predicted to howl this afternoon.  It was FREEZING...literally...and it felt like it.  But I did get it done. 

5 miles @ 11:34 HR 139/156 Cad 157

I had a pretty nice HR going but lost my concentration for a bit in the middle and...surprise...I sped up and so did my HR.   Surprised

Definitely spring time here.  It's windy and we're getting busy...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:51 pm

nkrichards wrote:It is pretty exciting to see runs with a HR in the 130's.  I messaged Melissa about my HR concerns during easy runs.  She said that some people...she is one of them...just have a slightly higher natural HR.  She said to try and keep it in the 140's or below but not to worry to much about it.  It's more important that the easy runs feel easy to me.

It took quite some time for my RHR to come back down after my cold.  It's back into the 148-149 range again which is where it was before my cold.  It's kind of interesting as my watch often records a HR below 145 but my RHR is never in that range.  I took a quick look at the Garmin website and I guess it tries to determine your RHR while awake.  Sleeping doesn't count.

I think Melissa is still trying to determine where I'm at before she suggests to many changes.  She will realize that I have a slightly higher HR, tend to run to fast on occasion...most training occasions...and need a bit of flexibility to deal with life.  She's keeping my training pretty easy compared to what I've done in the past.  My "speedwork" this week is 6 miles easy with 4x1 minute at half marathon/10K pace.  She's easing me into it pretty slowly.

I don't think it hurts at all for Fast Freddy to pop in for an occasional jaunt at the end of a long run or during a tempo or interval run.  I think it is important that I leave him locked securely in the closet on easy/recovery days.  I will admit that I was pretty pooped after my long run on Friday when he accompanied me for the last 2-3 miles.  I could feel the effort the rest of the day.  But my recovery run on Saturday went well.  I'm realizing that if I can concentrate on my run and not all the other things in my life I can keep my HR at a better level.

Life is starting to get a bit hectic.  We're getting busy on the farm and I've been struggling a bit to keep up.  I really do need to learn how to manage my stress levels when things don't go smoothly.  Applying for a PPP Loan is not a smooth process!!  Marty is pretty supportive most of the time.  We're cutting back a bit on our strength work now that he needs to be out the door to work earlier.  We are going to try and continue at least 2-4 days per week.  We'll need to make a point to get to bed early!

Oh...I forgot to mention that I had a virtual appointment with Dr. B last Wednesday.  I wanted to do it before I committed to coaching but wasn't able to get it scheduled in time.  He's very supportive and pleased with my attitude.  I'm sure he's more aware than I was that most of my problem at least recently has been mental not physical.  I asked if the heart damage that I have...primarily Right Bundle Branch Block...has any affect on my running ability.  He said no.  He is pleased with my blood test results.  He doesn't recommend additional testing at this time.  I have an appointment for my in person annual appointment in June.

Off to meet Janice for an easy run this morning.  It's snowing lightly...
So, the ol' 'see you in 6 months' visit with Dr. B.  That's re-assuring.  Yes, sleep is important, so y'all can make it a priority.  You, Marty, and I haven't been injury-free by accident.

I haven't measured my RHR in a while, but I had turned over to face the clock, just before getting up, and I counted 50 bpm.  So, while sleeping it has to be in the 40s.  High 40's probably.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:43 pm

Thanks for dropping by Doug.  I'm enjoying running immensely at this point in time.  I'm seeing improvement even with very little "fast" running.  I'm having fun running with Janice and Nailan more often.  I like the relationship I have with coach Melissa so far.  She does keep an eye on me though.  My Sunday horse ride recorded on my fitness watch and uploaded to Final Surge which is the site we're using for coaching.  There is no horseback riding category so it logged as a walk.  She commented immediately.  She didn't chastise me for hiking on my rest day but she did notice.  It's both fun and funny knowing she is keeping an eye on me.

Tuesday Liift4 Back and Biceps.  The plan was a 2 mile warmup followed by 10x30 seconds (60 seconds rest) and then cool down until I got to 6 miles.  Goal pace for the fast intervals was 10k-5k pace (9:27-9:04)  This was a FUN run.  Intervals varied from a pace of 7:18 - 8:39 averaging 7:47.  Melissa realized I was running on the road as I don't have access to the track so she expected the variability.  As I said this was a super fun run!!

Wednesday was a scheduled rest day but we start planting carrots on Thursday and the first day is often very hectic.  We decided to move my Thursday run to Wednesday so I would have one less thing to worry about on Thursday.  6 easy miles on the schedule.

7 miles @ 11:50  HR 140/152 Cad 156

So...I miscalculated when I planned my route.  And then I ran into Janice and Nailan at the park.  We got to chatting and forgot to watch our mileage.   Running Running Running Shocked  Oops...I did keep it at an easy pace.  Wink

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:56 am

nkrichards wrote:Saturday No strength work today as we're cutting back a bit as we get busier on the farm.

Don't like the looks of the HR stats.  It didn't feel that hard.  I think it was funky readings.  The high stuff was in the first mile.  I didn't worry about it to much.  Just ran by perceived effort.  I will admit that my legs were a bit tired and sluggish after leg strength work followed by 9 miles yesterday....but not terrible.  Wore the Adrenaline again.  They still feel a bit awkward...higher lift I think.  Not terrible but different.

Sunday Taking time for a horse ride with Marty, Gary & Emma followed by pie (Pi day) with Kevin's family for the twins 18 month b'day.

Your HR farts, too.  

The Adrenaline has a 'midsole drop' of 12mm, whereas the Ravenna is 10mm.  Yes, you notice 2 mm difference.  I immediately notice the change from running on concrete to a very thin layer of pine needles and back again.  Your foot is adapting and breaking in this new something.  My first model of real live running shoes had a break in period of 15-30 miles.  Those had a mind of its own, I thought.

My Kinvara's have a midsole drop of 4 mm.

So, what was the pie for Pi Day?
nkrichards wrote:Monday Liift4 Chest & Triceps.  We got a skiff of snow last night.  I had to run early as today was going to be hectic and the wind was predicted to howl this afternoon.  It was FREEZING...literally...and it felt like it.  But I did get it done. 

I had a pretty nice HR going but lost my concentration for a bit in the middle and...surprise...I sped up and so did my HR.   Surprised

I had to look up 'a skiff of snow.'  Just enough to see the ground has some white on it.  That's our usual snow.  Scraping enough snow to make a munchkin snowman with all the dead grass and pine needles in the snow.
nkrichards wrote:Thanks for dropping by Doug.  I'm enjoying running immensely at this point in time.  I'm seeing improvement even with very little "fast" running.  I'm having fun running with Janice and Nailan more often.  I like the relationship I have with coach Melissa so far.  She does keep an eye on me though.  My Sunday horse ride recorded on my fitness watch and uploaded to Final Surge which is the site we're using for coaching.  There is no horseback riding category so it logged as a walk.  She commented immediately.  She didn't chastise me for hiking on my rest day but she did notice.  It's both fun and funny knowing she is keeping an eye on me.

Tuesday Liift4 Back and Biceps.  The plan was a 2 mile warmup followed by 10x30 seconds (60 seconds rest) and then cool down until I got to 6 miles.  Goal pace for the fast intervals was 10k-5k pace (9:27-9:04)  This was a FUN run.  Intervals varied from a pace of 7:18 - 8:39 averaging 7:47.  Melissa realized I was running on the road as I don't have access to the track so she expected the variability.  As I said this was a super fun run!!

Wednesday was a scheduled rest day but we start planting carrots on Thursday and the first day is often very hectic.  We decided to move my Thursday run to Wednesday so I would have one less thing to worry about on Thursday.  6 easy miles on the schedule.

So...I miscalculated when I planned my route.  And then I ran into Janice and Nailan at the park.  We got to chatting and forgot to watch our mileage.   Running Running Running Shocked  Oops...I did keep it at an easy pace.  Wink

Ultreya...
You should run a letter 'M' for Melissa to see, when a run is uploaded.  Or run "Hi" and send it to her.  When you run the lower case 'i' you could stop the watch...run a few yards up from the top of the "i"...turn on the watch and walk in a very tight circle...stop the watch.  Now you have the dot for the 'i.'  If she looks at the route, she'll see your handy run work.

Good on your fun run.  Sometimes, you just got to turn the horses loose.

It'll be interesting to see how planting affects your HR.  Everything is a factor, it's just how MUCH of a factor different things are and whether it's a good influence or a bad influence OR no influence.  Hope you finished your PPP app.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:16 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Saturday No strength work today as we're cutting back a bit as we get busier on the farm.

Your HR farts, too.  YUP

The Adrenaline has a 'midsole drop' of 12mm, whereas the Ravenna is 10mm.  Yes, you notice 2 mm difference.  I immediately notice the change from running on concrete to a very thin layer of pine needles and back again.  Your foot is adapting and breaking in this new something.  My first model of real live running shoes had a break in period of 15-30 miles.  Those had a mind of its own, I thought.

I'm starting to feel more comfortable in the Adrenaline after a couple runs.

So, what was the pie for Pi Day?  Natalie changed her mind and didn't make pie!!  And by the time I realized it was to late for me to bake one.   Crying or Very sad
nkrichards wrote:Monday Liift4 Chest & Triceps.  We got a skiff of snow last night.  I had to run early as today was going to be hectic and the wind was predicted to howl this afternoon.  It was FREEZING...literally...and it felt like it.  But I did get it done. 

I had to look up 'a skiff of snow.'  Just enough to see the ground has some white on it.  That's our usual snow.  Scraping enough snow to make a munchkin snowman with all the dead grass and pine needles in the snow.
nkrichards wrote:Thanks for dropping by Doug.  I'm enjoying running immensely at this point in time.  I'm seeing improvement even with very little "fast" running.  I'm having fun running with Janice and Nailan more often.  I like the relationship I have with coach Melissa so far.  She does keep an eye on me though.  My Sunday horse ride recorded on my fitness watch and uploaded to Final Surge which is the site we're using for coaching.  There is no horseback riding category so it logged as a walk.  She commented immediately.  She didn't chastise me for hiking on my rest day but she did notice.  It's both fun and funny knowing she is keeping an eye on me.

Ultreya...
You should run a letter 'M' for Melissa to see, when a run is uploaded.  Or run "Hi" and send it to her.  When you run the lower case 'i' you could stop the watch...run a few yards up from the top of the "i"...turn on the watch and walk in a very tight circle...stop the watch.  Now you have the dot for the 'i.'  If she looks at the route, she'll see your handy run work. I'm not sure if she looks at the map...but it would be fun to do something silly and see if she noticed.   Twisted Evil

It'll be interesting to see how planting affects your HR.  Everything is a factor, it's just how MUCH of a factor different things are and whether it's a good influence or a bad influence OR no influence.  Hope you finished your PPP app.
See comments inserted above in red.  It made it easier to follow...

My resting HR is looking good...even through the first couple days of carrot planting.  But I have noticed that I have to make an effort to relax before and during the first part of my run or life stressed do affect my HR during the run.  It's something I know I need to work on.

I did complete the PPP app but it's stuck in the queue.  I'm starting to get nervous.  Our application was pretty complicated due to the fact that it's an LLC with 4 partners and also employees.  The instructions are pretty much non-existent.  They say if you made any errors or if their data doesn't match the application it will through it into an error code holding pattern.  We changed ownership % on Jan 1st.  I input the current % which will not match the last tax return filed...

Thursday  Liift4 Shoulders   Carrot planting.

Friday My brother was here to help with carrots and spent the night so we skipped our early morning workout and visited with him over breakfast and coffee instead.

8 miles @ 11:06 HR 146/161 Cad 158 SL .90  

1. 12:10  HR 145/160 Cad 159 
  2. 11:55  HR 142/159 Cad 158
  3. 11:31  HR 142/150 Cad 157
  4. 11:16  HR 145/155 Cad 157
  5. 11:09  HR 146/153 Cad 157
  6. 10:38  HR 152/161 Cad 159
  7. 10:21  HR 150/161 Cad 160
  8.   9:51  HR 149/156 Cad 160

Goal for this run "ease into the run and start at a pace that you can increase from and negative split the run.  Nothing crazy, just easing into the run and allowing the pace to naturally get faster."

I feel like I accomplished the goal.  Paces were affected slightly by the fact that the first 1+ mile was uphill.  I met Janice and Nailan at the top of the hill and we ran together until mile 5.5.  I dropped them at Janice's house and continued on my own.  I took a different route so I wasn't dropping all the elevation from the first mile quickly but the last 3 miles did have a net elevation loss.  

Saturday Liift4 Legs followed by my scheduled easy run.

5 miles @ 11:31 HR 141/165 Cad 160 SL .87

The HR spike in the first half mile definitely affected the overall HR average.  I'm tired of running in the wind!!

Janice and Chuck celebrated their 50'th wedding anniversary this afternoon.  They hosted with tea sandwiches and miniature cupcakes at the church.  It was well attended...they are very social and have lived in the community for 50+ years.  We knew many of the people in attendance.  I'm not a big fan of social events but I did enjoy it.

Relaxing while Marty and Kevin are out driving tractor...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:19 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Your HR farts, too.  YUP

I'm starting to feel more comfortable in the Adrenaline after a couple runs.

So, what was the pie for Pi Day?  Natalie changed her mind and didn't make pie!!  And by the time I realized it was to late for me to bake one.   Crying or Very sad

Ultreya...
You should run a letter 'M' for Melissa to see, when a run is uploaded.  Or run "Hi" and send it to her.  When you run the lower case 'i' you could stop the watch...run a few yards up from the top of the "i"...turn on the watch and walk in a very tight circle...stop the watch.  Now you have the dot for the 'i.'  If she looks at the route, she'll see your handy run work. I'm not sure if she looks at the map...but it would be fun to do something silly and see if she noticed.   Twisted Evil

See comments inserted above in red.  It made it easier to follow...

My resting HR is looking good...even through the first couple days of carrot planting.  But I have noticed that I have to make an effort to relax before and during the first part of my run or life stressed do affect my HR during the run.  It's something I know I need to work on.

I did complete the PPP app but it's stuck in the queue.  I'm starting to get nervous.  Our application was pretty complicated due to the fact that it's an LLC with 4 partners and also employees.  The instructions are pretty much non-existent.  They say if you made any errors or if their data doesn't match the application it will through it into an error code holding pattern.  We changed ownership % on Jan 1st.  I input the current % which will not match the last tax return filed...

Thursday  Liift4 Shoulders   Carrot planting.

Friday My brother was here to help with carrots and spent the night so we skipped our early morning workout and visited with him over breakfast and coffee instead.

8 miles @ 11:06 HR 146/161 Cad 158 SL .90  

1. 12:10  HR 145/160 Cad 159 
  2. 11:55  HR 142/159 Cad 158
  3. 11:31  HR 142/150 Cad 157
  4. 11:16  HR 145/155 Cad 157
  5. 11:09  HR 146/153 Cad 157
  6. 10:38  HR 152/161 Cad 159
  7. 10:21  HR 150/161 Cad 160
  8.   9:51  HR 149/156 Cad 160

Goal for this run "ease into the run and start at a pace that you can increase from and negative split the run.  Nothing crazy, just easing into the run and allowing the pace to naturally get faster."

I feel like I accomplished the goal.  Paces were affected slightly by the fact that the first 1+ mile was uphill.  I met Janice and Nailan at the top of the hill and we ran together until mile 5.5.  I dropped them at Janice's house and continued on my own.  I took a different route so I wasn't dropping all the elevation from the first mile quickly but the last 3 miles did have a net elevation loss.  

Saturday Liift4 Legs followed by my scheduled easy run.

5 miles @ 11:31 HR 141/165 Cad 160 SL .87

The HR spike in the first half mile definitely affected the overall HR average.  I'm tired of running in the wind!!

Janice and Chuck celebrated their 50'th wedding anniversary this afternoon.  They hosted with tea sandwiches and miniature cupcakes at the church.  It was well attended...they are very social and have lived in the community for 50+ years.  We knew many of the people in attendance.  I'm not a big fan of social events but I did enjoy it.

Relaxing while Marty and Kevin are out driving tractor...
No matter who's the Prez, if there's a way for the govt to keep the money, it's through the regulations.  Maybe check with a bank that has done a few of them and people who got their's approved, last year.  I don't know how helpful the SBA would be.  Do you know if being in Oregon is a good thing or bad from Oregon's govt's point of view?  e.g. add'l regs, if you do 'A,' then you can't do 'C.'  No point in getting nervous, as you don't know all of the rules and intentional speed bumps.  You have to peel away that money from them.

I can see that 8 miler being a benchmark for later.  Looking at Strava, the HR bump from 5 to 6 is appropriate.  As much as you wouldn't like it, your running would love flat.  The HR was fine and you took after the descent with the pace.

Tell me if I'm reading your graphs on the 5 mile run incorrectly, but it looked like the cadence fell off some on the 2nd half?  Understandable with the 8 the day before.  Did the 8 affect this 5?

Not the social butterfly, is ya?  Janice will help you along.

I didn't know carrot planting doubled as Liift4 Shoulders.   Laughing  Thursday  Liift4 Shoulders   Carrot planting.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:43 pm

ounce wrote:No matter who's the Prez, if there's a way for the govt to keep the money, it's through the regulations.  Maybe check with a bank that has done a few of them and people who got their's approved, last year.  I don't know how helpful the SBA would be.  Do you know if being in Oregon is a good thing or bad from Oregon's govt's point of view?  e.g. add'l regs, if you do 'A,' then you can't do 'C.'  No point in getting nervous, as you don't know all of the rules and intentional speed bumps.  You have to peel away that money from them.

I can see that 8 miler being a benchmark for later.  Looking at Strava, the HR bump from 5 to 6 is appropriate.  As much as you wouldn't like it, your running would love flat.  The HR was fine and you took after the descent with the pace.

Tell me if I'm reading your graphs on the 5 mile run incorrectly, but it looked like the cadence fell off some on the 2nd half?  Understandable with the 8 the day before.  Did the 8 affect this 5?

Not the social butterfly, is ya?  Janice will help you along.

I didn't know carrot planting doubled as Liift4 Shoulders.   Laughing  Thursday  Liift4 Shoulders   Carrot planting.
I am a bit stressed about the PPP loan delay but I can't change it...I've done what I can for now.  We did qualify for and receive some help through the EIDL program last year...a very small grant and a low interest long term loan.  We also qualified for a bit of help directed strictly to farmers for the loss in crop values due to export and shipping issues.  In general we don't believe in government subsidies/welfare but Kevin reminds me that if we don't participate we're putting ourselves at a competitive disadvantage.  It's a tough year so I want accept what we're legally entitled to.

Oregon is a very liberal state...to liberal for our liking.  But we're here and we're not going to move so we might as well change what we can and accept what we can't change.

Yes, I was pretty happy with the 8 mile run last week.  I can see progress and I'm anxious to look back in a few weeks and compare.

In regards to my cadence during my 5 the next day.  Remember that the goal for these runs is to keep them easy effort.  If that means I have to slow my cadence to do that I do.  The slowing was a purposeful act to try and keep the run easy.  I could do a faster finish as in the past but that's not what Melissa wants.  This part of my training is a test.  Not just of my running capabilities but of my ability to follow instructions.  It's kind of funny...and also hard.  I need to run the paces she recommends and show that I'm willing and able to do so in order to progress.  Patience is hard.  I need to trust Melissa and she needs to trust me if this is going to be a productive relationship.

Sunday This was a scheduled rest day.  Marty and I did a 25 minute recovery (stretching) workout and spent time with family.

Monday Liift4 Chest & Triceps to start the day.  6 mile easy run.

6 miles @ 11:19 HR 141/156 Cad 157

Nothing extraordinary to mention about this run except that easy pace is getting easier and so I really have to pay attention to keep my paces in the correct range.  If you look at this run on Strava you'll notice that I sped up a bit in the middle of the run.  There was a herd of deer on the side of the road...they politely waited for me to pass by before crossing the road.  I let my mind wander after seeing them and realized I was going a bit faster than intended.  Had to concentrate and correct my pace for the remainder of the run.

Tuesday Liift4 Back & Biceps  5 mile run with a 3 mile progression run.  Goal was for my paces to be 10:28, 10:18, 10:08.

WU 1.42 miles @ 11:16

1. 10:20
  2. 10:13
  3. 10:06

CD 1.07 @ 11:13

The boys asked if they could spend the night and we had huckleberry waffles for breakfast.  I got a bit of a late start but that was OK as it warmed up and was a gorgeous day for a run.  I went to town to run it on the Willow Creek trail.  I extended the warm up to get through a couple awkward turns and past some dogs.  I took off way to fast and it took me most of the first mile to dial in my pace.  That's reflected in that first mile being to quick and not a consistent pace.  Second mile was better but still slightly to fast.  It was a more consistent mile.  Last mile was even closer to goal pace.  There is some variability on the pace in the second and third mile but a good portion of that is related to the elevation and therefore excusable.  Melissa commented after the run synced.  She said that on paper this type of run looks easy but that it's actually pretty hard to complete on pace.  It requires patience...of which I have very little  Smile...and then the ability to push harder as you get tired.  She seemed to be happy with my effort/result.

Wednesday Today is a true rest day.  No Liift and no running.  As you can see I'm using it to catch up and prepare for tomorrow.  We'll start planting carrots again tomorrow.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:48 pm

Wow...today was an awesome day to run.  Crisp (27 degrees), clear, calm and some of the best views in the area.  More details below.

Thursday Liift 4 Shoulders followed by an "easy" 5

5 miles @ 11:04 150/165 Cad 158

I was a bit stressed this morning and it shows in my stats.  I ran a bit fast and my HR is high even for that pace.  Some days it just goes that way.  I need to learn to take a deep breath and turn the stress off.

Friday Wow...I mean WOW!  The conditions were perfect.  I love cold weather as long as it isn't windy and moist.  It was bright and sunny...well as bright and sunny as it can be at 7:45.  The views were awesome.

10.25 @ 10:44 HR 144/161 Cad 160

1. 11:15 HR 135/156 Cad 160
  2. 10:50 HR 136/147 Cad 160
  3. 10:55 HR 144/149 Cad 161
  4. 10:49 HR 145/153 Cad 160
  5. 10:56 HR 144/153 Cad 160
  6. 11:20 HR 144/151 Cad 159
  7. 10:26 HR 143/152 Cad 160
  8. 10:26 HR 149/158 Cad 162
  9. 10:19 HR 150/157 Cad 162
  10. 10:17 HR 153/162 Cad 161
  11. .25 @ 9:44 HR 152/156 Cad 162

So Janice, Nailan, and Chuck (Janice's husband) jumped in at mile 5.25.  I slowed but Janice was really struggling today and urged me to go ahead.  She had Nailan to keep an eye on her and help her across the cattle guards.  So I took off.  I can not believe how comfortable this pace felt.  Look at my HR!  Maybe not low by your definition but the last 4 miles of this run were at or close to MP (10:18).  Janice and Nailan ended up with 4.5 miles @ 11:45.  Then we went for coffee and cinnamon rolls.  We ended up in the middle...well actually at the end of a protest.  They were protesting the lock down and masking rules and Eagle Bakery was the site they chose for the protest.  It was pretty quiet when we arrived but I guess it was a big deal earlier.  There were still flags waving and lots of shirts with things to say but we felt safe going inside for our treat.

An even more important detail about today's run.  I was beginning to wonder if Melissa was just going to give me a schedule and then congratulate/encourage me no matter what I did.  She stepped up today.  After congratulating me on a nicely executed long run, she...very politely... reminded me that I need to keep my easy run well within the easy pace range tomorrow.  Faith restored and point well taken.   Smile

Life is good...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Saturday 5 miles easy (with a reminder to keep it easy)!

5 @ 11:44 HR 139/151 Cad 155

Mission accomplished.

Sunday We missed a day of Liift this week so did Liift4 Legs in the morning and then a MBF dynamic recovery in the late afternoon.  Both felt good.

Monday Set the alarm early to get in Liift4 Chest and Triceps before Marty headed out to plant carrots.

I had an easy 6 on the schedule.  It was Monday...I may have been a bit stressed or a bit short of sleep.

6 @ 11:19 HR 145/156 Cad 158

Not a terrible pace and it was quite consistent but the HR is a bit higher than I liked.  Oh well...it is what it is.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:I was beginning to wonder if Melissa was just going to give me a schedule and then congratulate/encourage me no matter what I did.  She stepped up today.  After congratulating me on a nicely executed long run, she...very politely... reminded me that I need to keep my easy run well within the easy pace range tomorrow.  Faith restored and point well taken.   Smile

Hooray! Adult supervision, at last!!

I think the best coaches aren't the ones who flog you to do more, but the ones who know when to have you dial it back so the beneficial adaptations can happen.

I'm having that challenge with my kid, who is experimenting with walking and running around campus without any real sense of training plan or moderation. He knocked out eight miles the other night, just ... because? Anyway, he was sore and seemed crestfallen that I suggested he take the next day as a rest day. I think I may have got him down to "active recovery" - maybe. He said he might only walk for an hour this time.  Rolling Eyes

Good luck on the PPP loan. I know it's been a huge help for our business. Is there anybody out there (like the SBA?) who can help you navigate the bureaucracy? Failing that, maybe you can reach out to the district staff for your newly minted congressman. That's what they're there for, after all. Constituent services!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I was beginning to wonder if Melissa was just going to give me a schedule and then congratulate/encourage me no matter what I did.  She stepped up today.  After congratulating me on a nicely executed long run, she...very politely... reminded me that I need to keep my easy run well within the easy pace range tomorrow.  Faith restored and point well taken.   Smile

Hooray! Adult supervision, at last!!

I think the best coaches aren't the ones who flog you to do more, but the ones who know when to have you dial it back so the beneficial adaptations can happen.

I'm having that challenge with my kid, who is experimenting with walking and running around campus without any real sense of training plan or moderation. He knocked out eight miles the other night, just ... because? Anyway, he was sore and seemed crestfallen that I suggested he take the next day as a rest day. I think I may have got him down to "active recovery" - maybe. He said he might only walk for an hour this time.  Rolling Eyes

Good luck on the PPP loan. I know it's been a huge help for our business. Is there anybody out there (like the SBA?) who can help you navigate the bureaucracy? Failing that, maybe you can reach out to the district staff for your newly minted congressman. That's what they're there for, after all. Constituent services!
I'm enjoying the structure and accountability of coaching.  Pleased with my decision.

I think it's pretty common for everyone to "over do it" which ends up causing them to quit.  That said it's great to hear that Alec recognizes the value of an active lifestyle.  

So no resolution on the PPP loan but they opened applications back up and I submitted an application with two other on-line SBA approved lenders.  Fingers crossed that one of them is more successful than my last attempt.  And if not I do think I'll contact my congressman staff.  Marty has a very good relationship with them due to his position on the NUID board.  

So apparently it's been a long time since I posted.  Embarassed

Tuesday Liift4 Back and Biceps followed by 6 miles with striders (8 x 1 min w/ 1 min rest)

6 miles @ 10:58 HR 144/168 Cad 158

Good run.  Pace during the striders averaged 8:00.  Melissa also added some quick and easy dynamic stretches that I did before the warm up started and then some mobility work (skipping, high knees, butt kicks) that I did during the warm up before the meat of the workout started.  Quick and easy.

Wednesday Liift4 Shoulders and a rest day.

Thursday Liift4 Legs followed by an easy 6 miles.

6 miles @ 11:30 HR 150/161 Cad 155

It was very warm!  I am not acclimated.

Friday The plan was for 3 easy miles with a reminder to keep them easy.

3.2 miles @ 11:49 HR 143/159 Cad 155

I was very pleased with my patience on this run and Melissa complimented me after it synced and she saw it.   Laughing

Saturday Bunny Bun 10K  This was a local fundraiser to replace the Freeze Your Fanny (normally a 5K with a pool swim) that was cancelled in December.  It was on a VERY hilly course.  Only 9 people were brave enough to run it.  The remainder opted for a 5K on the trails.  The plan was to start easy with Janice and see how I felt.  This was not planned as a race effort run.  I also had to make sure that someone was there to run with Janice...if not I had to stay with her.

6.38 miles @ 10:37 HR 153/174 Cad 160  

1. 11:39 HR 141/155 +180' -10'
  2. 10:28 HR 142/156  +18' -231'
  3. 11:30 HR 160/169  +226' -5' (gravel)
  4. 10:02 HR 154/167  +16' -248' (gravel)
  5. 11:27 HR 162/168  +226' -5'
  6.   9:15 HR 158/166  +7' -217'
  7. @8:48 HR 166/174  +5' -26'

Funny how the hills lined up with the miles.  There were 3 runners that shot off like rockets right from the start.  I stayed in a group with Janice, Chuck, Nailan, and Sara for the first mile.  When we crested the first hill Chuck sped up and I stayed with him.  He slowed when we started up the second hill and I kept up a steady effort.  At the turn around the rest of the group was still pretty well bunched and obviously slowing.  I was cautious going downhill on the gravel.  I pushed a bit harder on the last big up hill but it wasn't race effort.  I let go on the last downhill and finish.  It was fun as I'd conserved my energy.  I finished in 1:07:38.  The rest of the group all finished in 1:14:30ish.  I was 4th overall and the 3rd female.  Pretty happy with my results for a non-race effort race.  There was another runner in there somewhere but I'm not sure if they finished before or after the group.  It was fun to get together and chat with people.  (We wore masks at the start and finish.)

Sunday MBF Dynamic Recovery (stretching)

Monday Started the week with Liift4 Chest and Triceps and an easy 5 miles.

5 miles @ 11:07 HR 142/154 Cad 156

It was a gorgeous day for a run...a bit fast but not terribly high HR.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Guess it's been a week since my last update.

Tuesday Liift 4 Back & Biceps  Today's assignment was 1 mile warm up including dynamic stretching and mobility stuff.  Then 2 miles @ MP (10:18) followed by 2 miles at MP -10 finishing with a mile cool down.

So here's my paces for the meat of the workout.

1. 10:13
  2. 10:10
  3. 9:55
  4. 9:51

Looks like I need to work on my patience where pacing is concerned...

Wednesday Liift4 Shoulders.  Then I headed up town to meet Janice, Chuck and Nailan.  We walked the MADras Runners Challenge course this week as it was on trails.  4.4 miles

Thursday Not time for a strength workout.  6 easy miles.

6 miles @ 10:46 HR 144/164 Cad 157

Did someone say easy...ooops...

Friday Headed to the overlook to meet up with Janice, Chuck, and Nailan for my assigned 8 mile long run.  

9 miles @ 11:26 HR 138/150 Cad 156

The first 3 miles were a bit faster than they should have been (11:15, 11:03, 10:59).  Fortunately Janice and Nailan jumped in at mile 3 and I slowed down and enjoyed chatting for the rest of the run.  It was a gorgeous day.  The views were awesome!

Saturday 5 easy miles

5 miles @ 11:28 HR 147/160 Cad 157

Pace was good.  HR not so good.  I was stressed.

Sunday Liift4 legs in the morning.  MBF dynamic recovery in the evening.

Monday Liift4 Chest & Triceps.  Assignment was 6 easy miles.

6 miles @ 11:32 HR 135/150 Cad 155

Now that's a well executed easy run.  Paces for each mile were 11:38, 11:34, 11:25, 11:31, 11:33, 11:32.  Can't get much more even pacing than that!  And look at the HR.  WooHoo!!  We won't talk about the cadence...two out of three ain't bad.

Life on the zoo er farm is getting...well you know...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:12 pm

I like that Monday run.  I don't see much to correct.  Cadence was just 2 steps slower than the other runs.  Do you find you're doing better?  worse? or about the same on stress?

Your April 5 long run was very nice looking, Nancy.  How's the PPP p-p-progressing?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 am

ounce wrote:I like that Monday run.  I don't see much to correct.  Cadence was just 2 steps slower than the other runs.  Do you find you're doing better?  worse? or about the same on stress?

Your April 5 long run was very nice looking, Nancy.  How's the PPP p-p-progressing?
Good point on the cadence Doug.  I haven't been to worried about it.  Melissa seems more concerned with getting the paces in the correct range.  I don't think she wants to overwhelm me with to many changes.

The PPP loan is stalled once again.  Because the original lender was not moving the application forward and was not responding to my messages at all I submitted an application with a different lender...as recommended.  Now it's stuck as we have 2 pending applications.  This is soooooo frustrating.  I need the original lender to withdraw our application but they are not responding.

So...stress...  Let's just say that Natalie's grandfather passed away last week and so we had the 3 boys for three days while Kevin and Natalie went to his service in South Dakota (they took the twins).  And Mom's health is failing rapidly.  We had a lovely visit on Saturday.  My daughter, Katie, and cousin, Pam, and I put together an afternoon tea.  It's a family tradition.  Mom had a good day and we all enjoyed it.  Unfortunately she fell Sunday evening and her fall button was on the charger.  No acute injuries but she's been very incoherent ever since.  She was admitted to hospital so they could get her rehydrated and we expected her to come home after 24 hours.  We were organizing in home care for her.  But she's refusing to eat.  She's agitated and combative.  She pulls her IV out.  She has a bleeding ulcer and we thought if we could deal with that she would improve but her liver and kidneys are shutting down as well.  We may have to bring her home on Hospice care if things don't turn around quickly.  I have permission to visit her today.  Sorry...I don't mean to burden you all with my personal stuff but writing it down helps.

Running has been the constant in my life that helps keep me sane...

Tuesday 5 miles w/6x2 min intervals.  Average interval 8:15

Wednesday MADras Runners walk up the M hill 2 miles

Thursday 6.8 miles @ 11:53 HR 137/152 Cad 156

Friday Liift4 Back and Biceps.  Plan was a 10 mile long run.  I got a bit carried away.

10 miles @ 10:18 (that's MP oops) HR 147/159 Cad 160  
1 mile cool down @ 11:43

I was amazed how easy that pace felt!!  I sent Melissa a text before my run downloaded and promised to take it easy on Saturday. Embarassed

Saturday Liift 4 Shoulders followed by an easy 5 miles

5 miles @ 11:43 HR 139/161 Cad 157

Sunday Liift4 Legs and MBF dynamic recovery

Monday Liift4 Chest & Back followed by 6 easy miles.

6 miles @ 11:34 HR 139/153 Cad 157

Tuesday Liift4 Legs  

The planned run this morning was a 1-2-3-3-2-1 Fartlek run.  Those numbers are the hard efforts in minutes.  Goal was <9:04 (5K pace).  There was some rest time in between and a 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down.  I don't remember if I mentioned that Melissa has me doing some dynamic stretching and mobility work during my warm up on faster workout days.  The weighted average pace during the faster intervals was 8:32 and I was able to finish faster than I started so it was very well paced.  I was pretty frazzled when I started this run and it took me a bit of time to get my mind in the game.  Thank goodness for long warm ups.  

Wednesday Liift4 Arms

I'm headed over to visit Mom after my shower.  I'm honored that I'm the child that she chose to take care of her affairs and make sure her final wishes are honored...but I'm not sure I like this role...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I like that Monday run.  I don't see much to correct.  Cadence was just 2 steps slower than the other runs.  Do you find you're doing better?  worse? or about the same on stress?

Good point on the cadence Doug.  I haven't been to worried about it.  Melissa seems more concerned with getting the paces in the correct range.  I don't think she wants to overwhelm me with to many changes.

The PPP loan is stalled once again.  Because the original lender was not moving the application forward and was not responding to my messages at all I submitted an application with a different lender...as recommended.  Now it's stuck as we have 2 pending applications.  This is soooooo frustrating.  I need the original lender to withdraw our application but they are not responding.

So...stress...  Let's just say that Natalie's grandfather passed away last week and so we had the 3 boys for three days while Kevin and Natalie went to his service in South Dakota (they took the twins).  And Mom's health is failing rapidly.  We had a lovely visit on Saturday.  My daughter, Katie, and cousin, Pam, and I put together an afternoon tea.  It's a family tradition.  Mom had a good day and we all enjoyed it.  Unfortunately she fell Sunday evening and her fall button was on the charger.  No acute injuries but she's been very incoherent ever since.  She was admitted to hospital so they could get her rehydrated and we expected her to come home after 24 hours.  We were organizing in home care for her.  But she's refusing to eat.  She's agitated and combative.  She pulls her IV out.  She has a bleeding ulcer and we thought if we could deal with that she would improve but her liver and kidneys are shutting down as well.  We may have to bring her home on Hospice care if things don't turn around quickly.  I have permission to visit her today.  Sorry...I don't mean to burden you all with my personal stuff but writing it down helps.

Running has been the constant in my life that helps keep me sane...

Tuesday 5 miles w/6x2 min intervals.  Average interval 8:15

Wednesday MADras Runners walk up the M hill 2 miles

Thursday 6.8 miles @ 11:53 HR 137/152 Cad 156

Friday Liift4 Back and Biceps.  Plan was a 10 mile long run.  I got a bit carried away.

10 miles @ 10:18 (that's MP oops) HR 147/159 Cad 160  
1 mile cool down @ 11:43

I was amazed how easy that pace felt!!  I sent Melissa a text before my run downloaded and promised to take it easy on Saturday. Embarassed

Saturday Liift 4 Shoulders followed by an easy 5 miles

5 miles @ 11:43 HR 139/161 Cad 157

Sunday Liift4 Legs and MBF dynamic recovery

Monday Liift4 Chest & Back followed by 6 easy miles.

6 miles @ 11:34 HR 139/153 Cad 157

Tuesday Liift4 Legs  

The planned run this morning was a 1-2-3-3-2-1 Fartlek run.  Those numbers are the hard efforts in minutes.  Goal was <9:04 (5K pace).  There was some rest time in between and a 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down.  I don't remember if I mentioned that Melissa has me doing some dynamic stretching and mobility work during my warm up on faster workout days.  The weighted average pace during the faster intervals was 8:32 and I was able to finish faster than I started so it was very well paced.  I was pretty frazzled when I started this run and it took me a bit of time to get my mind in the game.  Thank goodness for long warm ups.  

Wednesday Liift4 Arms

I'm headed over to visit Mom after my shower.  I'm honored that I'm the child that she chose to take care of her affairs and make sure her final wishes are honored...but I'm not sure I like this role...
Well, Nancy, I'm sorry to read about your mom.  No need to apologize, ma'am.  I'm the family writer on things medical and hospital related and writing about it flushes the problem away, while the readers think I like to write these things with a calmness and frankness.  Little do they know.

Keep an eye on the ammonia level in the blood for the liver.  If the liver is compromised, then ammonia levels grow and the brain is compromised to what your mom is doing.  Ammonia processed by the liver doesn't go through the kidneys, rather the intestines.  Xifaxan can control the ammonia levels.  Just a thought, but worth mentioning, unless you have a doc that knows everything.

Good luck.  I'll pray for her.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next