365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training with Flies

5 posters

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Training with Flies - Page 7 Empty Re: Training with Flies

Post  ounce Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Lifting today was interesting.  I am gradually moving back to the angles and weights in my pre-vertigo world.  Almost everything in the day to day World of Doug is back to normal.  There's just 1 thing in that world that is off.  One day, I'll explain and it's not a big deal at all.  Just have to re-create the scenario over and over again, which I can do anywhere.

Lifting still has a wee bit to go.  All involving the angle of the exercise.  I'd have to say that exertion doesn't help.  If the amount of weight lifted is worthy of an increase, it's that increase, which causes more exertion and will engage the vertigo, when I finish and sit up or stand up.  It will resolve in 60-90 seconds.

Today, I added 2 sets of 20 leg lifts.  Overall, 75 minutes, this morning.

Running tomorrow.  Maybe 6 + a bottle of water.

Thanks for reading.  Comments are free.
Hoping that the World of Doug does get fully back to normal...assuming that's the goal.  Life is more complicated than we're all willing to admit.  Glad we can share running.  It's a big part of my life...but only a part of it.

Saw your run on Strava.  Some days go like that.  I'm sure the lifting...and the weather were factors.  The most important thing is that you did lace up your shoes and head out the door.  And you'll lace up and head out again. That's life.   Ride

Curious to hear if the winter storm affected your area and how.

Stay safe and have a great weekend.
Winter storm?  We didn't have any because the Jet Stream (30,000 feet) kept the cold air north of a line from San Diego to Detroit.  South of that line above normal temps.  83 here, 90 in Orlando, 81 in D.C., 14 in Buffalo, 7 in North Dakota.  Note the map below.

San Diego County issued its very first Blizzard Warning for today!

Training with Flies - Page 7 Gfs_uv300_us_1
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:07 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Lifting today was interesting.  I am gradually moving back to the angles and weights in my pre-vertigo world.  Almost everything in the day to day World of Doug is back to normal.  There's just 1 thing in that world that is off.  One day, I'll explain and it's not a big deal at all.  Just have to re-create the scenario over and over again, which I can do anywhere.

Lifting still has a wee bit to go.  All involving the angle of the exercise.  I'd have to say that exertion doesn't help.  If the amount of weight lifted is worthy of an increase, it's that increase, which causes more exertion and will engage the vertigo, when I finish and sit up or stand up.  It will resolve in 60-90 seconds.

Today, I added 2 sets of 20 leg lifts.  Overall, 75 minutes, this morning.

Running tomorrow.  Maybe 6 + a bottle of water.

Thanks for reading.  Comments are free.
Hoping that the World of Doug does get fully back to normal...assuming that's the goal.  Life is more complicated than we're all willing to admit.  Glad we can share running.  It's a big part of my life...but only a part of it.

Saw your run on Strava.  Some days go like that.  I'm sure the lifting...and the weather were factors.  The most important thing is that you did lace up your shoes and head out the door.  And you'll lace up and head out again. That's life.   Ride

Curious to hear if the winter storm affected your area and how.

Stay safe and have a great weekend.
Normal will be a good thing.  Or consistent.

Right now, I'm running so I don't lose the base I have built.  But I get more joy from lifting.  I'm sure if I lost some weight that running would be more than a defensive.

Since I mentioned lifting, I did that this morning.  I've found out that while the vertigo per machine is getting less, there's a cumulative effect where overall, I'm about in the same shape as I was a week ago.  When I do the 3 bench press exercises (flat bench, incline, and decline), I do them one after the other because they're next to each other.  After finishing the 3rd one, decline, I had to stand longer and be still to let the snow in the globe to settle.  I think that I'll mix the bench with other upright machines to see if that lessens the cumulative effect.

That's the tactical little things I will change in lifting.  Strategically, I'm going to work (yet again) on losing weight in the hopes that being lighter will allow me to lift one day and run 5 or 6 the next.  Sad, though.  I really enjoy the food!

Have a good time on your dreadmill and a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:07 pm

I'm glad your vertigo is resolving. Though I spent 4 years in Pensacola, it seems so far removed (and I wasn't a runner then) that I have a hard time imagining 50s being cool this time of year. But I do remember the Cowtown Marathon in 2010 being really warm (in Ft Worth). Weight loss is hard! If it were easy, we all would be where we wanted to be. But not impossible. 
Have a good weekend!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:13 pm

Julie wrote:I'm glad your vertigo is resolving. Though I spent 4 years in Pensacola, it seems so far removed (and I wasn't a runner then) that I have a hard time imagining 50s being cool this time of year. But I do remember the Cowtown Marathon in 2010 being really warm (in Ft Worth). Weight loss is hard! If it were easy, we all would be where we wanted to be. But not impossible. 
Have a good weekend!
I ran Cowtown in 2007 and the Fort Worth Marathon in 2012 or so.  Different courses, but it was windy for both races.  It's habitually windy in Fort Worth.  I went to TCU, so I love Fort Worth.  Had I not grown up in Houston, I probably would have stayed in Cowtown after graduating.

There's an old joke about Dallas and Fort Worth.  Dallas is snootier and Fort Worth is western.  So the joke is what's the difference between Dallas and Fort Worth?  In Dallas, raw fish is called 'sushi.'  In Fort Worth?  Bait.

Maybe THIS weight loss attempt will take hold because I want to see if I can have enough energy to run and lift or not by weighing less.

You have a good weekend, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:12 am

I went and lifted, this morning, for 70 minutes.  I tried the alternating the 3 bench press with other upright machines and that seemed to work well.  I know that if I never lift weights again, that my positional vertigo has healed.

Yet, I will continue to lift.  I can replace the incline bench press with a sitting incline bench press, but that's the only one that I'll drop for the short term.  Reason being is that doing the bench press on horizontal, incline or decline positions builds up the forearm and secondary stabilizer muscles in the arm and torso.  I will do the sitting bench press and the traditional horizontal bench press, so I can advance the weight.  

Still enjoying it. 

Tomorrow will be a running day.  We had a sickly front go through Sunday night and the drier air came through during the day today.  At 10 p.m. CT, we have a 69 degree air temperature with a dew point of 44.  The sickly front is supposed to turn around as a warm front tomorrow.  Low temp in the morning is supposed to be 58 degrees!!!!!!!!!  Yup, definitely running.  With the coolness, I'll go up to Memorial Park and test drive the land bridge for degree of difficulty (first incline runs are always difficult) and distance.  There are 2 land bridges.  I think there's a concrete path that connects both bridges.  I'll let you know.

Thanks for reading. Y'all have a good week, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:40 am

ounce wrote:
Julie wrote:I'm glad your vertigo is resolving. Though I spent 4 years in Pensacola, it seems so far removed (and I wasn't a runner then) that I have a hard time imagining 50s being cool this time of year. But I do remember the Cowtown Marathon in 2010 being really warm (in Ft Worth). Weight loss is hard! If it were easy, we all would be where we wanted to be. But not impossible. 
Have a good weekend!
I ran Cowtown in 2007 and the Fort Worth Marathon in 2012 or so.  Different courses, but it was windy for both races.  It's habitually windy in Fort Worth.  I went to TCU, so I love Fort Worth.  Had I not grown up in Houston, I probably would have stayed in Cowtown after graduating.

There's an old joke about Dallas and Fort Worth.  Dallas is snootier and Fort Worth is western.  So the joke is what's the difference between Dallas and Fort Worth?  In Dallas, raw fish is called 'sushi.'  In Fort Worth?  Bait.

Maybe THIS weight loss attempt will take hold because I want to see if I can have enough energy to run and lift or not by weighing less.

You have a good weekend, too.
I think we all struggle with weight loss issues.  I'm only a few pounds over my goal weight but don't have the commitment to reach that goal weight.  More importantly I know that I eat to much processed carbs...sugar...  That's probably more important than the weight as far as my health is concerned.  I know that if I cut the sugar my weight would drop slightly as desired.  More importantly I think my chronic inflammation would settle down and my gut issues would resolve.  But I haven't been able to make the necessary changes in my lifestyle.
ounce wrote:I went and lifted, this morning, for 70 minutes.  I tried the alternating the 3 bench press with other upright machines and that seemed to work well.  I know that if I never lift weights again, that my positional vertigo has healed.

Yet, I will continue to lift.  I can replace the incline bench press with a sitting incline bench press, but that's the only one that I'll drop for the short term.  Reason being is that doing the bench press on horizontal, incline or decline positions builds up the forearm and secondary stabilizer muscles in the arm and torso.  I will do the sitting bench press and the traditional horizontal bench press, so I can advance the weight.  

Still enjoying it. 

Tomorrow will be a running day.  We had a sickly front go through Sunday night and the drier air came through during the day today.  At 10 p.m. CT, we have a 69 degree air temperature with a dew point of 44.  The sickly front is supposed to turn around as a warm front tomorrow.  Low temp in the morning is supposed to be 58 degrees!!!!!!!!!  Yup, definitely running.  With the coolness, I'll go up to Memorial Park and test drive the land bridge for degree of difficulty (first incline runs are always difficult) and distance.  There are 2 land bridges.  I think there's a concrete path that connects both bridges.  I'll let you know.

Thanks for reading. Y'all have a good week, too.
I headed straight to Strava to see how your run went after reading this.  I think I would enjoy the challenges of the land bridges for a change.  At least you know you have more options now.  Based on what I saw on Strava you handled the land bridges quite well.  I think tackling them on occasion will make you a better runner.

I'm glad to hear that you're recovering well from the vertigo.  And that you're enjoying lifting.  I hope you find a good balance between the lifting and the running...something that you enjoy and that provides the variety that will lead to a long and healthy life.

Enjoy the cooler days when you get them.  Our weather has been very erratic.  I'm happy to send the cooler weather your way.  Very Happy

Take care.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:43 pm

I did go running, this morning.  However, the 58 degrees didn't happen.  The warm front headed north from somewhere around the coast and it was 68 degrees at 4 a.m.  But there was a hint of cool air still around.  I drove up to Memorial Park to christen my maiden voyage on the land bridges.

The path off the 3 mile loop occurs just a tenth of a mile from my usual starting place.  The all-concrete route for the land bridges and related new paths are for all unmotorized forms of moving (runners, walkers, bikers, strollers).  There are more paths than just related to the land bridges.  I will try to explore these on Friday after a (cross my fingers) cold front come through Thursday night.  Forecasting in the 40s for lows.  South of Memorial Drive (over which the bridges were built) there a large retention water area complete with a pier, but no water in it yet.  There is a long path that runs east-west that will undoubtedly be underwater at some point.  The pier looks kind of strange where it's about 10 feet (I'll give a better guess after Friday's run) above ground level.  There's probably a mile or two in these paths.  Ought to look interesting on Strava.

But, I decided to run the incline to the first bridge to the other side and take the path that leads to the other land bridge, up it and down to the other path back to the 3 mile loop.  Had I ran the distance on the 3 mile loop between the two access points to the land bridges, it would amount to about a half mile.  Running the two land bridges was about 1.15 miles.  I read where the top of the land bridges are about 40 feet above the street level.  I figure it's about a quarter mile from the 3 mile loop to the top of the land bridge.  HR was at 128, at one point up the incline, but the legs were just bee-bopping along at the 157 cadence.  My legs are really comfortable at that cadence, whether flat or not.  THAT'S something I wouldn't say about the 3 mile loop by itself because it's flat.

I do need to bump the cadence to 158, though.

After returning to the 3 mile loop, I boogied along in the 14s for the rest of the run.  Getting back around to where I started, I was at 3.84 miles.  So, I just ran another 16 hundreths to make it an even 4 miles.  I was kinda tired at 3 miles, so I stopped for some water and get my breath, then finished to run.  One thing I noticed on the land bridge route was no water fountains.  I imagine the water retention area probably played a role of no water fountains.  

Training with Flies - Page 7 JSY3OTMDFKUVKCFAH7JBFNNLTZTLNIJ6NDPJOXNAXSRV7EIGURGIFGXWQO5LWHJ5UQEDXZXSFKROM6RMFVJU273FDB3EY5RU
Well, well.  Let's see if the map posts.

Lifting, tomorrow.  I'll see how tired I am and whether 'cumulative' will be a constant issue in the days and weeks ahead.

Thanks, Nancy and Julie.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:16 pm

Woke up a little tired, this morning.  I wonder if it was a foreboding feeling of things to come.  I went and lifted, anyway.

You may remember where I was going to try to mix up the three bench press routines with other non-positional vertigo machines to lessen the cumulation effect.  On the way to the gym, I was thinking (and at 5 a.m. to boot), what if I lessened the lifting time on Wednesdays, so I would be able to run not as tired on Thursdays.

So, I lifted for not quite an hour, instead of 75 minutes, today.  I also inserted the trapezoid-lats machine between the decline bench press and the incline bench press.  Everything went well.  Not only did it go well, but I had absolutely zero vertigo!  I was baffled, at first.  I wasn't going to do the incline bench because vertigo was worse on the incline, than the decline.  No vertigo.  Awfully, awfully nice.

Must have been the 40' change in altitude due to yesterday's land bridges run.   Rolling Eyes

Maybe I'm healed.

This is an incline bench press.
Training with Flies - Page 7 OIP.ZiUNIlz4LJMWrQrs1GT--QHaFm?w=245&h=185&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.3&pid=1

This is a decline bench press
Training with Flies - Page 7 OIP.gsy1AnlkVizNoSya0G3DGAEsDi?w=214&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.3&pid=1

I will go lift tomorrow because I will be running on Friday in order to enjoy the 50 degree morning, if the timing of the cold front stays pretty much on track.  Maybe just 45 minutes, tomorrow.

Please exit to your right.  No pushing or shoving, please.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:10 pm

I went and lifted, this morning.  The goal was to be less than an hour and to do a couple of new or newer machines.  I managed to do both, but made it challenging.  Also, no vertigo, but I only gave it 1 opportunity.  

Two notable things and relate to bench press and sitting bench press (at least to me):
1.  I was able to bench press two sets of 6 at 90 lbs.  This gets me back to end of Summer baseline.  I haven't done a 1 rep max weight lift, yet.  I would need a spotter, in case something goes awry.  Tough to guess a 1 max weight, but I would guess 115-120.
2.  On the sitting bench, I did a 1 rep max of 160 lbs.  Baseline from 2021 is 180.  I workout at 110 lb, on the way to 115 lbs in a couple of weeks.

Please note the weight difference between the horizontal workout (90 lbs) and sitting (110 lbs).  Monday, I mentioned the secondary muscles involved in the horizontal bench press.  So, because of sitting for the bench press, I can lift more.  I am hoping to get them to match by working the secondary muscles, too.

Running tomorrow morning seems to be doable with a cooler morning temp, if the front blows through tonight.  But it should, as it's in El Paso now and set to arrive around 10 p.m. CT, which is really, really fast.  Possibly 600 mlies as the crow flies in 9 hours...over 60 mph.  As the car flies, it's 760 miles to here from El Paso.  Time will tell.

That's all I got.  Have a good day.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:21 pm

Thankful your weightlifting is going well and hooray for no vertigo! An hour or 75 minutes both sound like a very long time to me.

Enjoy the potential cooler weather. Was in the teens this a.m. for windchill. What do you do in the summer? Do you have to run on a treadmill for the heat? I remember trying to run when it was in the evening in the summer and it was in the 90s (and I was in Omaha, so all concrete). It was horrible. And I decided I'd try to run in the mornings next (sort of odd situation but I was doing an externship and living with my grandma in a not so great part of Omaha so I thought I'd run outside of the medical/rehab facility I was externing at since it was a better area. Not worth the heat and for all my mom's and grandma's worries, nothing bad ever happened to me in the bad part of Omaha).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:56 pm

Julie wrote:Thankful your weightlifting is going well and hooray for no vertigo! An hour or 75 minutes both sound like a very long time to me.

Enjoy the potential cooler weather. Was in the teens this a.m. for windchill. What do you do in the summer? Do you have to run on a treadmill for the heat? I remember trying to run when it was in the evening in the summer and it was in the 90s (and I was in Omaha, so all concrete). It was horrible. And I decided I'd try to run in the mornings next (sort of odd situation but I was doing an externship and living with my grandma in a not so great part of Omaha so I thought I'd run outside of the medical/rehab facility I was externing at since it was a better area. Not worth the heat and for all my mom's and grandma's worries, nothing bad ever happened to me in the bad part of Omaha).
Thanks, Julie.  Yeah, a lack of vertigo is really freeing.  I don't have to stand up at the machine I just finished and wait for approval that walking without swaying is now okay.  My reason for weightlifting is to build a muscle mass in the upper body.  Four years ago, my goal was to do 1 pull up.  Just 1.  I found out within about 4 months that it wasn't just a bicep growth thing.  It was chest, back, triceps, core, AND getting lighter, so there's less weight the muscles have to lift.

Also noticing my parents wither away, especially my mom, by not having a muscle mass.  My parents never had a broken hip, but they couldn't catch themselves if they started to fall.  So, the carrot to lift was the pull up.  I grew to enjoy the lifting, especially because results occur within a couple of months.  Something I don't experience on the same timetable with running.

Regarding the weather, I saw during the 5 p.m. local newscast that our front is about 215 miles from Houston.  I think we're all done with a freezing temp.  Although a front coming here around Thursday of next week just might give a low of 39...in March.  It happens.

I ran for about 2 weeks on a treadmill in the Summer.  Other than that, I am outside in the morning dark plodding or running in temps up to 80 degrees with a dewpoint of 78.  This occurs usually in July and August, but any temp/dew point over 70 degrees can cause plodding (my definition of plodding is a 16 or greater minute mile pace.  However, 70s can occur anytime from February to October.  I acclimate myself, but never enjoy it.

I'd rather run in the dark at 80, than in the late evening at 90.  It's the price of living near the Gulf of Mexico.  The best benefit for running in the dark is there is nearly no traffic at 2, 3, 4, or 5 a.m.

Good curiosity, Julie.  Enjoy your teens and next week's cooler weather, too.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:11 pm

Being a gardener, I can't help thinking "oh you could have things in the ground by now!" actually probably year round you could have something planted, if you were interested. I have a table full of kale, onions, tomatoes, peppers and flowers I started from seed. 

I think I've only run earlier than 4 a.m. a handful of times. But it just feels less safe, though really there are very few people out so it's probably not much less safe. But I definitely run in a group when possible. 

I agree the muscle building is very helpful, and also balance work. 

Happy running!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:51 pm

This will be the 3rd time that I've typed this, so it's shorter.

Thanks for replying, Julie.  I imagine a couple of your youngins have a green thumb too.

Today, it was 55 degrees with a 20 mph wind.  I ran the new path and it was nice as I ran around the retention pond.  That was a 1.5 mile escape from the original 3 mile loop.  I wasn't tired before the run, so lifting 3 days this week was not an impediment to the running.  That was nice, too.

I ran a bit faster than Tuesday, but that was a weather benefit.  So, I'll try to do it again next week.

Y'all have a nice weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:57 am

The weather for late April has settled in here in Southeast Texas.  Lows around 68-70 and highs in the 82-86 degree range.  There's another front coming Thursday or Friday, but it's not going to have the punch to lower temps, as was thought last Friday.  Maybe a 10 degree drop, which is nice anytime we can get that.

I did go lift, this morning.  I overslept the alarm and was behind 30 minutes, when I awakened.  Arriving at the gym 10 minutes later than usual really got me out of sync because people that aren't there at 5 a.m., were there at 5:10.  So, I was out of my routine.  At the time, I just rolled with it and did things out of the usual steps.

It took me about 20 minutes to figure out that always doing the first 4 routines, in order, is surprisingly critical to the quality of the rest of the workout.  Each of those four is a benefit in and of itself.  But as a whole, it serves as a warmup for the rest of the muscles for the rest of the workout.  I was breathing heavier and sweating more.  There were even a couple of muscles that were whining a bit, which never happens.  But when it did, THAT'S when I attributed it to not warming up with the first 4 routines.  I was actually thinking about corrective measures, like lightening the load so I can lift without pain or a twinge and continue lifting.  Because we all know what happens when an injury keeps us from doing what we enjoy.

I stopped after an hour.

However, there's a silver lining to this cloud.  It gave me the idea to target certain muscle groups on the 2nd and 3rd day of the week.  Warmup with the 4 routines, then target.  After all, there's only so much that can be done (I think) to a muscle group.  It cuts down on total time and works areas previously not worked.

Tomorrow will be running, but on the streets, not Memorial Park.

Thanks for participating.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:12 am

Yesterday morning, it was 71 degrees with the same dew point and no wind.  The idea was 5 miles.  Things for me to watch during the run was tiredness from Monday's lifting, plus the higher temp while not be acclimated yet.  I did not carry any water with me.

I bumped the cadence +1 to 158, too.

5 miles, 1:13:10, 14:37 pace, 120 avg bpm, 131 max bpm, 154 avg cadence.
1.  14:39, 114 bpm, 158 spm
2.  14:21, 124 bpm, 158 spm
3.  13:54, 122 bpm, 157 spm
4.  15:09, 120 bpm, 150 spm
5.  14:59, 123 bpm, 149 spm

"Jumping off the pier" defines the last two miles regarding the drop off of the cadence is like jumping into the water off of a pier.  But it's not surprising to me that it occurred.  After all, I'm not acclimated yet to 70s.  Had the jumping happened within the first mile, then that would have been the lifting from Monday.  If the temp was in the 50s, I imagine just the last mile would have been in the low 150s.  So, I'll stick around at 158 for a while.

The 120 avg bpm was pretty nice, too.  Much obliged.

(I had pasted the cadence graph, but it didn't post.  So imagine a 6" line where 4" is straight and normal at 158 cadence, with the last 2" lower with the picture of a dog wildly slapping the water with his paws because he's never been in water.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:54 am

Because some of my posts have not posted on the first Send, this post is about today's lifting.

When last we left our daring weight lifter on Monday, I mentioned concentrating one morning on a particular muscle group because it would be a shorter workout and maybe it wouldn't keep me from running on Thursday.  So after reviewing a few selections from Jeff Cavaliere on YouTube, I decided to do the shoulders muscle group.  Five different routines, 20 reps each with 12 reps each in warm up is designed to hit the three deltoid muscles.  It took me about 40 minutes, soup to nuts.  I underguessed what weight amounts to use on about 3 of them.

But it worked out well.  I wasn't gassed, partly because I underguessed.  I'll review the video again to pick up little nuances that I didn't look for, prior to beginning the workout.

After I rested a bit, I went over to the sitting bench press and knocked out 3 sets of 6 reps at 115 pounds, which is about 10 pounds under my August 2022 workout weight.

I imagine for Thursday's running, I'll do 5 again at 158.  Friday's lifting will probably be a normal day of lifting because I'll have the weekend to recover.

Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:20 pm

Good thing I can see your runs on Strava or I'd never keep up.  You had a nice run this morning and I'm especially impressed with your willpower to push through those last miles when things get tough.

It's fun to hear about what you're doing in the gym.  Watching videos for pointers is a good idea!  I agree with your thoughts about concentrating on one area of the body allowing you a shorter workout and then working on another area the next time.  Marty and I use free weights and watch videos so that we don't need to decide what to do or how to do it.  It also gives us some variety.  We've done the same program over and over recently.  It's 6 weeks long so we do get variety but we're getting bored.  Planning to start a new program next week.  We'll see how it goes...

Our weather turned cold again...I'll try and send some your way.  And I'll try to check in more often.

Have a great weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:Good thing I can see your runs on Strava or I'd never keep up.  You had a nice run this morning and I'm especially impressed with your willpower to push through those last miles when things get tough.

It's fun to hear about what you're doing in the gym.  Watching videos for pointers is a good idea!  I agree with your thoughts about concentrating on one area of the body allowing you a shorter workout and then working on another area the next time.  Marty and I use free weights and watch videos so that we don't need to decide what to do or how to do it.  It also gives us some variety.  We've done the same program over and over recently.  It's 6 weeks long so we do get variety but we're getting bored.  Planning to start a new program next week.  We'll see how it goes...

Our weather turned cold again...I'll try and send some your way.  And I'll try to check in more often.

Have a great weekend.
Thanks, Nancy.  For a while, I'll be able to serve 2 masters, lifting and running.  But I try not to push the envelope too much, because I would heal slower, if I get injured.  I think that I'm right in the middle of the 'effort gauge' for my usual 60-75 minute workouts.  The 'only shoulder' workout is about 75% effort.

This morning, I did a Monday 65 minute workout.  With the positional vertigo being a thing of the past, I can do everything that I usually do on a Monday.  PLUS, I got there at 5 a.m., so I had 1st pick of the bench to do my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th routine.

I was real tired, yesterday evening.  I changed the oil in one of the cars.  Lugging out the jack, lifting the car, then reverse the steps, made me that real tired, just mentioned.  My arms were happy just laying on the arms of the armchair.  Running yesterday morning, plus the prior day's activities made me wonder how much I could lift, this morning.

-30-

Speaking of running yesterday morning, it was 67 degrees.  I only had eyes for 5 miles.  I had a little tiredness that I relate to the just shoulders lifting on Wednesday.  Like I've said before, Wednesday's shoulder workout was not as tough as I thought because I under guessed the weights that I would need.

Anyway, I kept the new 158 cadence to see what would happen.  It turned out that I ran it a minute slower, overall, but the cadence splits for 4 and 5 were better than Tuesday.  I was really struggling the last two miles, but once I finished mile 4, I was going to soldier on and finish mile 5.

5 miles, 1:14:16, 14:51 pace, 124 avg bpm, 157 avg cadence
1.  15:30, 115 bpm, 157 spm
2.  14:54, 123 bpm, 157 spm
3.  14:25, 124 bpm, 157 spm
4.  14:39, 129 bpm, 157 spm
5.  14:44, 130 bpm, 155 spm

During any run, I run to keep the gnome happy.  And I was making that happen, except for maybe the last 3/4ths of a mile.  Tuesday's stats are below.

5 miles, 1:13:10, 14:37 pace, 120 avg bpm, 131 max bpm, 154 avg cadence.
1.  14:39, 114 bpm, 158 spm
2.  14:21, 124 bpm, 158 spm
3.  13:54, 122 bpm, 157 spm
4.  15:09, 120 bpm, 150 spm
5.  14:59, 123 bpm, 149 spm

So as I look back on this week, it's the 2nd week in a row for lifting 3 days and running 2.  Last week was cool.  This week was not, but next week is supposed to be cooler, e.g. highs in the 70s, instead of the lows in the 70s.  Thanks for the cooler weather, Nancy!

But it's real encouraging that I have essentially done the same plan in successive weeks.  And I plan on doing the same for a 3rd week in a row, next week.  My increase in cadence, this week, was the right thing to change, based on how many splits were ran at the 158 or 157.  I'll sit on the 158 for the rest of March and ponder an increase for April to 159.

Ideas welcome.  Have a good weekend, y'all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:06 am

4:55 a.m. found me at the gym.  This was a regular 60-75 minute workout.  Not only was it regular, it was unremarkable in that I was able to do all the chines that I wanted sooner than usual.  Probably because I didn't do 4 bench press machines, rather 2.  In fact, I increased the weight on those two, which are the sitting bench press and the decline bench press by 5 pounds, each.  On the sitting bench press, this leaves me 5 pounds away from what I was lifting at the end of last Summer which was 125 pounds then.  On the decline bench, I added 5 pounds to a new record workout weight of 95 pounds.

Doing the 95 pounds was a challenge, at first.  I was startled at how much effort it was taking just to lift it off the rack.  Then, I rationalized that 95 pounds is only 5 pounds more than last week's 92.5.  Swallowing that, I did 3 sets of 6 reps.

Please note the difference in the workout weight difference between the sitting bench press and the decline bench press of 30 pounds.  That's quite a lot.  And of the 3 non-sitting bench press machines, I lift the most on the decline bench.  The other two weights are 10 or 15 pounds lighter than the decline.

Well, as promised, Nancy sent some cooler weather on Sunday.  This morning's low was 10-15 degrees less than Sunday morning.  AND it's supposed to be here for most of the week, too.  Spring Break down here is this week.  I imagine all over the South is Spring Break or next week.  Thanks, Nancy!

So, running will be nice, this week.  As I write this, it's 54 degrees with a dew point of 46.

-30-

Finally, I have to recommend the movie "Cocaine Bear" for y'all.  It's a horror-comedy and rated R.  It's set in the 80's and based on a true story of smugglers ditching their cocaine out of an airplane that's about to crash at a national park in Georgia.  So bags of cocaine are spread over the park.  And a bear ingests some.  A lot, actually.  I'm not a horror film viewer, but it did have a lot of funny parts.  Annnnd there were some gory parts.  So, it's not for the single digit age bunch.  The movie is still in the theaters, but should be on DVD in April.

Y'all have a good week.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:05 pm

55 degrees with a 5-10 mph wind greeted me, this morning.  I wore a thin, cotton, long-sleeved shirt for the run.  The gnome was set at a 158 cadence.  I was thinking that 5 miles would be a good distance in this cooler weather to see if I could hit 158 or 157 for each split.  I could almost do it in 65-70 degree weather, so in 55 degree weather should be a slam dunk.

Heading out, it seemed the gluteus muscles were a little tight for the first 2 miles, but settled down.  This is my 3rd 158 cadence run and seems like I've already fit into the 158 stepping.  Which shouldn't be a big surprise, I guess, since I have been at the 157 cadence for months.

5 miles, 1:14:35, 14:55 pace, 122 avg bpm, 131 max bpm, 157 avg cadence
1.  15:27, 116 bpm, 157 spm
2.  15:02, 121 bpm, 157 spm
3.  14:57, 122 bpm, 156 spm
4.  14:34, 126 bpm, 158 spm
5.  14:28, 125 bpm, 158 spm

It didn't seem like the last two miles were going to be the fastest of the run, but they were.  Nancy noticed on Strava that I ran a negative split.  Since I don't look for such things in a run, it was a surprise.  I am more attuned to cadence and splits lower than 15 min/mile.

Last year at this time, I was running a string of 2 miles at 164, yet not attaining 164.  More like 162.  I was running 3 days and lifting 2, then.  It was also a concern of not having enough energy to be able to hit 164 while lifting for 70 minutes.  Deja vu?  Back then, my goal was the marathon, so running had to be the priority.  At some point afterwards, I made the decision to run longer at a lower cadence, so I could have a chance of doing the marathon.  But I was starting at 2 miles.

This year, it's 3 days lifting & 2 days running because I'm only going to do the Half, next year, with the Wednesday lift being a shorter (~40-45 minutes) workout.  

2 miles, 27:17, 13:35 pace, 126 avg HR, 143 max HR, 161 avg cadence, 74 avg SL
1.  13:50, 121 bpm, 162 spm
2.  13:17, 130 bpm, 160 spm

The weather next week is supposed to be much cooler, like two days of highs in the 50's.  All of the snow pack in the northern plains keeps the air cold, as it goes south.  So, it'll be colder in Texas next week.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:45 am

Went to lift by doing the shoulder concentration, like I did last Wednesday.  This morning, I had a better idea of what weights to use for the 5 routines that hit all three of the deltoid muscles.  Last week was too light.  This week was right on 4 out of the 5 routines.

Sitting here typing this, my shoulders are still tired.  And I finished it at 5:35 a.m. CT.  Now, it's 8:15.  They don't hurt, just tired.  Five routines, warmup of 12 reps, 20 reps total each.  If you stop during the 20 (which is expected) you rest 15 seconds, then pick up where you left off until you hit the 20.  I even slept 8 hours, last night!

Afterwards, I was curious what I could lift one time on the sitting bench press.  160 was the most recent 1 rep max and 180 is my PR.  I tried 170, but the triceps weren't up to pushing it from 50% to DING!  (I learned yesterday that the tricep muscles push the bar for the last half of a rep.)  I, then, tried 165 and the triceps were up to the challenge.  165 is the new 2nd place 1 rep max.  I don't imagine to try a one rep max on the sitting bench press for a month or two because it takes a while to grow the muscle cell strands.

Tomorrow will be 5 miles again.  Y'all behave yourselves.

Oh!  One more thing.  I got my Shingles vaccine yesterday.  That HURT like that old folk's enhanced flu shot for 2 minutes or so, then just sore.  This morning it was still sore at the injection site.  "Lifting will be interesting," I said.  

No effect at all, but the injection site feels bruised. No
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:13 pm

This morning, I wasn't able to run much past 3/4ths of a mile.  Yesterday, I had a craving for pizza, so I imagine that was a major contributor to not being able to run 5, today.  I guess the cumulative effect of lifting and running this week could be a contributor, but the pizza didn't happen last week or the week before.  The weather was fine.  It was 63 degrees and breezy from the south, but the cooler air that came through early this week was being blown north, this morning.  

We have some of Nancy's cold air coming tomorrow before sunrise, coupled with some storms.  We're not supposed to get above the mid-50s until Monday and Wednesday for the 70s.  Maybe Winter's last gasp.

So, my 2-1/2 week streak of lift 3 days & run 2 days has been broken.  I'll hope the rain will have passed when I go to lift, in the morning.  Time for a new streak!

Much obliged.

Oh, my injection site is still sore, when I engage the deltoid for something minor.  No other symptoms.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 am

Okay...caught up on your posts.  Sorry I haven't taken the time to comment more often.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying your lifting...and are making progress toward your goals.  I'm glad you're taking time to continue to run as well.  I think a mix of activities is important in reaching healthy life goals.

I know that you're excited about lifting and running consistently and continuing to progress.  May I make a suggestion?  I think what is missing in your plan is some recovery time.  That doesn't mean that you have to avoid lifting or running and lose your streak status.  What it means is that, in order to maintain your consistency and continue to improve you may need to allow your body to recover.  That may look like a hard week followed by an easier week....still lifting and running but cutting down the time/intensity during the easy week.  Or it may look like hard, hard, easy, hard, hard, easy.  

Right now Melissa has me alternating hard and easy weeks.  There isn't a huge difference...my easy week last week was 29 miles...this week I stepped up to 32 miles.  I'll drop back below 30 miles next week.  The important thing is that I do step back slightly on both distance and intensity.  That should allow my body to recover and be ready to progress the following week.  Hal's programs called for an easier week every third week.  I've never trained without some planned recovery time on a regular basis.

I'll use Marty for a (bad) example.  He's determined to get back in shape after our winter travels.  He was insisting that we lift 4 days per week and rapidly increasing his weights.  And he also insisted we try a 5 day per week very intense stretching plan to try and improve his flexibility.  I supported his efforts...but cautioned him...and kept my intensity levels moderate.  I was still having trouble getting through the week.  I could see that it was affecting my running and I really needed my Sunday rest days....even after my rest day I didn't feel fully recovered on Monday when I started over.  And guess what happened...he ended up getting injured and even after a full week off he's not recovered enough to start lifting or stretching again.  

In reading this it sounds like a bit of a lecture.  It's not meant to be.  It's just an observation based on my experience.  We're all different and if you're listening to your body and progressing I'll be here to cheer you on!

We've had a couple lovely days.  Very cold mornings...15-25 degrees...but warm afternoons in the high 40's - low 50's.  50 seems warm after the weather I've been running in!  I'll try and share the cool mornings with you.  Very Happy

Off for my long (10 mile) run.  I'll update my blog this afternoon.

Have a great weekend.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:56 pm

nkrichards wrote:Okay...caught up on your posts.  Sorry I haven't taken the time to comment more often.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying your lifting...and are making progress toward your goals.  I'm glad you're taking time to continue to run as well.  I think a mix of activities is important in reaching healthy life goals.

I know that you're excited about lifting and running consistently and continuing to progress.  May I make a suggestion?  I think what is missing in your plan is some recovery time.  That doesn't mean that you have to avoid lifting or running and lose your streak status.  What it means is that, in order to maintain your consistency and continue to improve you may need to allow your body to recover.  That may look like a hard week followed by an easier week....still lifting and running but cutting down the time/intensity during the easy week.  Or it may look like hard, hard, easy, hard, hard, easy.  

Right now Melissa has me alternating hard and easy weeks.  There isn't a huge difference...my easy week last week was 29 miles...this week I stepped up to 32 miles.  I'll drop back below 30 miles next week.  The important thing is that I do step back slightly on both distance and intensity.  That should allow my body to recover and be ready to progress the following week.  Hal's programs called for an easier week every third week.  I've never trained without some planned recovery time on a regular basis.

I'll use Marty for a (bad) example.  He's determined to get back in shape after our winter travels.  He was insisting that we lift 4 days per week and rapidly increasing his weights.  And he also insisted we try a 5 day per week very intense stretching plan to try and improve his flexibility.  I supported his efforts...but cautioned him...and kept my intensity levels moderate.  I was still having trouble getting through the week.  I could see that it was affecting my running and I really needed my Sunday rest days....even after my rest day I didn't feel fully recovered on Monday when I started over.  And guess what happened...he ended up getting injured and even after a full week off he's not recovered enough to start lifting or stretching again.  

In reading this it sounds like a bit of a lecture.  It's not meant to be.  It's just an observation based on my experience.  We're all different and if you're listening to your body and progressing I'll be here to cheer you on!

We've had a couple lovely days.  Very cold mornings...15-25 degrees...but warm afternoons in the high 40's - low 50's.  50 seems warm after the weather I've been running in!  I'll try and share the cool mornings with you.  Very Happy

Have a great weekend.
Thanks for your comments.  When I read the Marty paragraph, I was shaking my head and thinking, "Ohhhhhh, I wouldn't do that if it was me."  Then I got to the last sentence.  Yeah, you just can't rush increasing the weights, just like we can't rush mileage.  New muscle cells and strands take 6 weeks to create.

Now, he COULD stop a specific way of, say, bicep curls and try another way that engages the biceps, but differently.  OR do the same routine where he curls the weight normally to his chest (concentric), but then slowly lengthen the muscle on the return to the starting point (eccentric).  He'll notice the difference and it'll slow him down, but he'll be stronger.  First, he needs to decide if he's lifting for strength or looks.  Strength is executed by few reps at a heavier weight, which is my method.  3 sets of 6 reps.  For looks and form, it's 8-12 reps at a lighter weight.  Since starting that 1 pull up goal over 3 years ago, lifting has always been for strength.  I would imagine it's very hard at our age to lift for looks because our skin elasticity is gone.

I have found that in the past couple of weeks, I walk more upright than in mid-January.  No hunching at the shoulders.  I can't say that my core is any stronger because I haven't done a lot of leg lifts and the like.  But my pecs, traps, and lats are definitely stronger than mid-January.

Regarding your non-lecture, I do take the weekends off.  This morning, I didn't go lift because it was raining cats and dogs.  I was all dressed and ready to go.  So, I get an extra day to rest.  I don't rush the increases on weights because I don't want to not be able to lift.  I let the weights take care of themselves.  I have a method to weight increasing and it's been working.

But let me work on my 3 lift, 2 run, 2 rest for another 3 weeks.  I'd like to see if my body can handle and embrace that routine or how long it can.  Last year, I didn't have much of a stamina base.  Maybe by the 3rd week, I'll be able to run 6 miles at 158 for both days.

My mantra is "don't get hurt."  My advancement may not be fast, but I'm injury-free.  Wouldn't it be nice if I could do 3 lift, 2 run until Labor Day?  Then, go to 3 run, 2 lift for next year's Half.  A whole lot of time in between.

Thanks for the cold front, Nancy.  It was 72 degrees before the front arrived.  Now, it's 43 and rainy.  That'll be the temp until Wednesday.  Winter's last gasp.

Y'all have a good weekend!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:22 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Okay...caught up on your posts.  Sorry I haven't taken the time to comment more often.

Have a great weekend.
Thanks for your comments.  When I read the Marty paragraph, I was shaking my head and thinking, "Ohhhhhh, I wouldn't do that if it was me."  Then I got to the last sentence.  Yeah, you just can't rush increasing the weights, just like we can't rush mileage.  New muscle cells and strands take 6 weeks to create.

Now, he COULD stop a specific way of, say, bicep curls and try another way that engages the biceps, but differently.  OR do the same routine where he curls the weight normally to his chest (concentric), but then slowly lengthen the muscle on the return to the starting point (eccentric).  He'll notice the difference and it'll slow him down, but he'll be stronger.  First, he needs to decide if he's lifting for strength or looks.  Strength is executed by few reps at a heavier weight, which is my method.  3 sets of 6 reps.  For looks and form, it's 8-12 reps at a lighter weight.  Since starting that 1 pull up goal over 3 years ago, lifting has always been for strength.  I would imagine it's very hard at our age to lift for looks because our skin elasticity is gone.

I have found that in the past couple of weeks, I walk more upright than in mid-January.  No hunching at the shoulders.  I can't say that my core is any stronger because I haven't done a lot of leg lifts and the like.  But my pecs, traps, and lats are definitely stronger than mid-January.

Regarding your non-lecture, I do take the weekends off.  This morning, I didn't go lift because it was raining cats and dogs.  I was all dressed and ready to go.  So, I get an extra day to rest.  I don't rush the increases on weights because I don't want to not be able to lift.  I let the weights take care of themselves.  I have a method to weight increasing and it's been working.

But let me work on my 3 lift, 2 run, 2 rest for another 3 weeks.  I'd like to see if my body can handle and embrace that routine or how long it can.  Last year, I didn't have much of a stamina base.  Maybe by the 3rd week, I'll be able to run 6 miles at 158 for both days.

My mantra is "don't get hurt."  My advancement may not be fast, but I'm injury-free.  Wouldn't it be nice if I could do 3 lift, 2 run until Labor Day?  Then, go to 3 run, 2 lift for next year's Half.  A whole lot of time in between.

Thanks for the cold front, Nancy.  It was 72 degrees before the front arrived.  Now, it's 43 and rainy.  That'll be the temp until Wednesday.  Winter's last gasp.

Y'all have a good weekend!
Sounds like you've got it under control.  Injury free is good!

I do think that you can continue with 3 lift, 2 run...just don't worry about increasing distances/weights every week.  Transitioning into 3 run, 2 lift as you prepare for the half should get you to where you want to be.

Enjoy the cool weather while you can...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next