365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training with Flies

5 posters

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Training with Flies - Page 13 Empty Re: Training with Flies

Post  ounce Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:31 am

Thanks, Nancy.  For distance runner or even a marathon, I need confidence that I can complete the distance.  Experience at the distance can count for a few miles worth of confidence.  For example, right now I'd have to do a 24 mile long run without much bleeding of time to be comfortable I can officially finish a marathon.  Maybe after a couple of good finishes, I might believe I only need a 22 mile long run.

However regarding a Half, I know I just need a good training season and a 9 mile long run to finish.  50% of that confidence is knowing I have a full 4 hours to complete it, rather than 6 for the Full.

This year, I want to do a long run of 15 miles for the coming January Half because I want to be able to cover the whole distance without bleeding time.  Maybe a couple of 15's.  I'd like to run a 13 or a 15 the week of October 22 because I won't be able to run the week of Halloween and I can heal.

-30-

Lifted today.  Went well.  I'm definitely going through all of the workouts in less than an hour.  That gives me a little time to do the grip thing, the leg lifts, and a bodyweight squat so that I can gradually stretch the muscles around the knee joint and squat lower and lower.  I do it next to a bench, so if I can't go back up, then I can use the bench to help me straighten up.

Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:37 am

The mental component of running has always been huge for me. If my head wasn't right, I had a difficult time getting into the run. I discovered that to a huge extent 10 years ago (!) during my 50 miler. It took some outside influence to keep me going.

Good job on the stretching and innovative exercises. I don't know if you've tried it, but I've found a low squat - like people do when they use a squat toilet, bum low, legs spread a bit - does an amazing job of stretching out the glutes and ankles. It's also 100% natural, since it's how we humans took care of business before somebody invented the throne.

Good job on getting three miles done in what seems like a giant CrockPot. Here's to fall!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Mark, I'm just trying to return to those bonnie bygone days of limber knees.  The kind of flexibility when I could sit on my legs for the express purpose of looking in the back of the bottom shelf at the grocery store for the last can of whatever is on sale that I want, rather than on 1 knee and hope I can reach it.

-30-

Over the weekend, I had to do a sort of repetitive action about 5 times that evidently I was doing wrong because my right, posterior, mid-deltoid was sore come Sunday evening.  Did the usual TENS action for 30 minutes plus a Meloxicam at bedtime, which always works.  Except this time.  It didn't hurt any worse, just the pain wasn't gone.

What's a gym rat to do?  Why go workout, of course!  Like running, if it hurts bad enough, don't do that.  Being mindful of my infirmity, I did the usual workout for a Monday.  The only time it whined was when I was doing the incline bench.  It was whining enough to not push it.  I only did 3 sets of 3, while the flat bench let me do 4 sets of 6 reps which is one set more than usual.  Since I'm only doing the flat and incline on Mondays, I figured I could add an extra set.  Other than the incline, the right mid-deltoid did just fine.

About an hour ago after a busy morning, the durn thing didn't hurt at all.  I had to really figure out where the pain was.  I eventually did and it's fine enough.  The REAL acid test will be on Wednesday's Shoulders workout.  More accurately, acid tests (plural).

So, I shall ride off into the sunset in anticipation of running tomorrow morning.

Hi-ho, Silver!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:49 am

The mid-deltoid pain is gone.  It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow with the shoulders workout.

-30-

However, now to write about today's 3 mile run.  It was 81 degrees.  This is the 8th day in a row of the official morning low to be 80+ degrees.  Yesterday's 81 degrees broke the day's record for the highest low.  No change until Sunday, if then.

I was able to do a 156 cadence up to about 1.6, which is the turnaround point.  But I kept going.  Then at 1.7, I decided to turn around.  The thought of 2.3 more miles was not palatable.

3 miles, 46:10, 15:22 pace, 128 avg bpm, 149 avg cadence.
1.  15:14, 156 spm
2.  14:55, 150 spm
3.  15:58, 140 spm

It was a 1 full squeeze of the headband sort of morning.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:59 pm

Wednesday came and I did the shoulders workout.  Sometimes that's encouraging and sometimes not.  Clearly the rear delt is the star of the program.  It helps that I do something to the back muscles three days a week.  My back muscles (traps and lats) can lift more than the flat bench and incline bench combined by 40 pounds.

I'm down 14 pounds, now, by the way.  I had hit a plateau for a week or two.

-30-

Thursday's run of 3 miles was difficult due to some inadequate sleep on Tuesday night and Wednesday night.  However, the weather cooperated with a temperature of 79 degrees!  Whew, good thing I had my bellacava, wool socks, and three long sleeved shirts.

Splits were all in the 16s and cadence were all in the 140s, too.

-30-

This morning, I lifted again.  That's twice in one post!!!  Did the flat and incline bench, along with the other stuff.  Using the track metaphor, the flat bench is 1/2 a lap ahead of the incline bench at 95 pounds.  The decline bench is about to increase its weight to 100.

Except for Thursday's run, it was a good week.  I'm able to do the lifting and running without collapsing by Friday and all being a quality workout.  I'm exceeding what is recommended by various doctor organizations for exercise of 150 minutes a week by doing 250 minutes.

I will enjoy a long sleep, tonight.  Y'all have a good weekend.  30% of the region will get some rain from Saturday evening to Sunday evening.  That High pressure dome is traveling to Colorado for the weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:00 pm

ounce wrote:Wednesday came and I did the shoulders workout.  Sometimes that's encouraging and sometimes not.  Clearly the rear delt is the star of the program.  It helps that I do something to the back muscles three days a week.  My back muscles (traps and lats) can lift more than the flat bench and incline bench combined by 40 pounds.

I'm down 14 pounds, now, by the way.  I had hit a plateau for a week or two.

-30-

Thursday's run of 3 miles was difficult due to some inadequate sleep on Tuesday night and Wednesday night.  However, the weather cooperated with a temperature of 79 degrees!  Whew, good thing I had my bellacava, wool socks, and three long sleeved shirts.

Splits were all in the 16s and cadence were all in the 140s, too.

-30-

This morning, I lifted again.  That's twice in one post!!!  Did the flat and incline bench, along with the other stuff.  Using the track metaphor, the flat bench is 1/2 a lap ahead of the incline bench at 95 pounds.  The decline bench is about to increase its weight to 100.

Except for Thursday's run, it was a good week.  I'm able to do the lifting and running without collapsing by Friday and all being a quality workout.  I'm exceeding what is recommended by various doctor organizations for exercise of 150 minutes a week by doing 250 minutes.

I will enjoy a long sleep, tonight.  Y'all have a good weekend.  30% of the region will get some rain from Saturday evening to Sunday evening.  That High pressure dome is traveling to Colorado for the weekend.
Good to hear that you're prepared and keep the balaclava handy!  I can identify with your comment about lack of sleep affecting your run.  Sleep  But I guess we need to get out there and do what we can even if it's not prefect.

Sounds like lifting...and exercise in general are going well.  Good work.

I'll try and be quiet so I don't interrupt your sleep...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:58 pm

It is definitely hard to run on low sleep but tbh I usually tell myself that I just need to get up and get out the door because I trained for a 50K on about 3 hrs sleep a night when my (twin) boys were babies. I hope August brings cooler weather. 
I went down a big ultra rabbit hole thanks to Mark, and I will say, listening to some Courtney Dewaulter interviews are very motivating (and she seems so very kind, humble, and down to earth). Mental aspects are huge though we need an injury free or low injury body to get us from here to there.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:41 am

Julie wrote:It is definitely hard to run on low sleep but tbh I usually tell myself that I just need to get up and get out the door because I trained for a 50K on about 3 hrs sleep a night when my (twin) boys were babies. I hope August brings cooler weather. 
I went down a big ultra rabbit hole thanks to Mark, and I will say, listening to some Courtney Dewaulter interviews are very motivating (and she seems so very kind, humble, and down to earth). Mental aspects are huge though we need an injury free or low injury body to get us from here to there.
You have the benefit of being younger (which isn't a slam on you, just fact) and I didn't really snap to the sleep issue until I was in my early 60s.  I'm also finding that losing weight at 66 is tougher than at 56.  I have no frame of reference on lifting weights, since I started 3-1/2 years ago or so.  And while I think that increasing the pounds on a routine is tougher now than even 2 years ago, I haven't had this level of strength ever.  So, my body is in a constant state of manufacturing and repairing muscle strands.

Thanks, Julie!

-30-

Monday and Wednesday were lifting days.  I added another non-weight lifting exercise to the mix on Monday.  You may remember that I've been working on my knee flexibility.  I saw two different short videos from two different people saying that to help the knees, you need to work on the muscles that surrounds the knee, including the shin muscles, especially the tibialis anterior muscle.  One person suggested backward walking on a treadmill.  Did that one and wasn't too comfortable.  The other recommended just walking backwards on a flat surface, then maybe running backward at some point.

So I went into the Zumba room, which is usually vacant at 5 a.m.  It's about 50' x 30'.  And I did 10 lengths of 44' each (the ceiling tiles were 2' x 4' and 11 tiles in my length), after lifting weights.  It worked well.  My left quad nearest the knee on the medial side wasn't too thrilled with the idea and advertised it for two days, so far.  It didn't keep me from running at all on Tuesday, but still whining this morning.

Tuesday had me running 3 miles at the regular 81/79 degree morning.  Avg HR was 121, while the max was 126.  I don't know when I've ever had that small of a spread between those two.  

Thursday will be 3 or 4.  I would prefer 4, but I don't have a vote.

Thanks for the comments and the bowl of peanuts someone left.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:07 pm

Oh I am 100 percent  sure you are right about age and sleep. I handled sleep deprivation much better at 27 than 34 (baby Jocelyn vs baby Eliana) and I'm sure it's only going downhill for me now.

Almost to August. We've been in a heat advisory all week with near 100 or right at 100 every day but I bet you have us beaten. The rabbits have been coming inside more to keep cool (those nice fur coats keep them too hot, you know?)
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:13 pm

Julie wrote:Oh I am 100 percent  sure you are right about age and sleep. I handled sleep deprivation much better at 27 than 34 (baby Jocelyn vs baby Eliana) and I'm sure it's only going downhill for me now.

Almost to August. We've been in a heat advisory all week with near 100 or right at 100 every day but I bet you have us beaten. The rabbits have been coming inside more to keep cool (those nice fur coats keep them too hot, you know?)
I think yesterday was our first day not under a heat advisory.  16 straight days.  A couple of areas here got some rain over the weekend, but it was spotty and near the coast.  97's until the weekend when it's back to maybe 100.  But this time of year, seasonal is 95.  So, we're not off the mark by much.  August is our hottest month.  Back in 2011, 30 of August's 31 days were 100+, plus 5 more before Labor Day.  That year we had 11 or so inches of rain.  Average is 53".

Poor rabbits.  I saw that farmers are having it tough with the chickens getting too hot and not laying as many.

Our 'fun' time of the year is coming up with hurricanes.  August and September for us.  But with this being an El Nino year, it's not sure how it'll affect growth of systems moving off Africa.  Lots of Sahara dust from Africa to Houston to inhibit tropical systems.  El Nino provides wind shear that tears the tops off tropical systems.  So, it may not be a bad year again, but it just takes 1.

I'll let you know if one is coming your way.   Laughing
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:16 pm

It was 80 degrees, this morning.  Usually, I'll get a clue by less than a half mile as to whether I'll be able to do a decent run or a crappy plod.  Today at a 1/4 mile, I was going to serve a crappy plod.  But the cadence crapped out so soon that I figured I could run 4 miles, instead of a decent 3.

So, I turned off the gnome and plodded all 4 miles.  Cadence averaged about 139, the splits were all in the 16:30 range, and the HR was around 119 or so.  See Nancy?  If you want that coveted sub-120 HR, you have to PLOD, PLOD, PLOD!

The downside to the plodding is that I take more steps in a plod, which makes me larger bait to fall down, go boom.  Have to concentrate more.  I think it's been a year (or seems like it), since my last contact with the ground.

7 miles for the week.  8 weeks until the arrival of "Fall," not to be confused with cooler weather.  Moochus graceeus.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:55 pm

Hi boys and girls.  I lifted this morning, as is customary.  I didn't go berserk on the machines, although the bicep curl is finally better.  I guess those backordered muscle strands finally came in and were installed.  I kept all of the weights the same as prior sessions over the past 2 weeks.  I did go into the zumba room and did 10 lengths of backward walking.  The left quad has become acclimated to this blasphemy, but the right quad lodged its negative vote, this morning.

Temps next week will be 100-102.  Meteorologists aren't holding back anymore with a 99.  No, ma'am.  Hurricane season is still dormant, thanks to El Nino and the wind shear it creates plus the Saharan dust.

And the hits just keep on coming.

Have a nice weekend while you can.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:53 am

Monday was a good lifting day for me because I didn't get hurt.  Everything went well and I'm making small advances.  Also, continued the reverse walking.

-30-

This morning, it was 82 degrees with a dew point of 75.  Yesterday, Houston broke a high record with 103 degrees.  We're supposed to be from 100-103 for the next 10 days.  96 is seasonal.

Tuesday runs have been 3 miles by starting at 157 cadence.  Thursday is a lower cadence for 4 miles.

After starting this morning, I got the idea to hold the 157 cadence for as long as I could, then finish the remaining distance at whatever pace happens.  "What a shock!" you may think because isn't that what we do every run?  Well, but the twist in this fly is that each Tuesday, I want to extend the distance with each run.  Today, the distance was 1.17 miles.  The long term goal is to keep extending the muscle memory at 157 for when it gets cooler because last year, I was running longer distances but in the 140s.  It took a long time, last Fall, to increase the cadence to 157.  So, if the 157 is remembered by the muscles, then maybe I can get faster for the Half, next January.

Once finished and home, it took me 25 minutes to stop sweating, while laid out on the living room floor.  Never felt light headed nor nauseous.  I've sweated in the shower, after I thought I was dry.  I hate that.

That's my story.  Tomorrow is shoulders!  Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:03 pm

Actually got a brief, but intense, rain cell yesterday afternoon.  One of those 'isolated' cells.  Awfully strong, considering there was no lightning to go with it.

I did the shoulders workout this morning, along with the walking backwards, gripping a 10 lb dumbbell, and trying to stretch my knees some.  It all was unremarkable and almost an hour.

Tomorrow's run ought to be a plodding 4 miles.  I might set the cadence at 150 just to see how far at that cadence I can go.  157 gets me 1.17 miles.

Enjoy the sauna.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:30 pm

ounce wrote:Actually got a brief, but intense, rain cell yesterday afternoon.  One of those 'isolated' cells.  Awfully strong, considering there was no lightning to go with it.

I did the shoulders workout this morning, along with the walking backwards, gripping a 10 lb dumbbell, and trying to stretch my knees some.  It all was unremarkable and almost an hour.

Tomorrow's run ought to be a plodding 4 miles.  I might set the cadence at 150 just to see how far at that cadence I can go.  157 gets me 1.17 miles.

Enjoy the sauna.

Did that rain cell bring your temps down at all, or did it just make it more sweltering?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:24 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Actually got a brief, but intense, rain cell yesterday afternoon.  One of those 'isolated' cells.  Awfully strong, considering there was no lightning to go with it.

Enjoy the sauna.

Did that rain cell bring your temps down at all, or did it just make it more sweltering?
It brought the temps down some.  The sweltering didn't occur because it was just before 6 p.m. and the hot part of the day had passed.  Plus, the cell was blocking the sun as the cell moved west.  Down here, sunset is occurring at 8:11.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:16 am

Last Wednesday's shoulders workout went fine.  I continued doing the backwards walking, afterwards.

Thursday's run of 4 miles (yup, 4) started at 150 cadence, which is not the usual 157, but I wanted to see how the run would proceed at the start at 150.  Maybe I could extend the distance at the lower cadence, rather than just do 3 at whatever the body wanted to do.

So, I was able to run 24 minutes at 150 or 1.7 miles.  Last Tuesday's 4 at 157 to start only got me 1.17 miles, before I fell off the pier.  The ultimate goal for the next couple of weeks (maybe longer) is to run 4 miles each Tuesday and Thursday and extend the distance under 157 and 150 cadences, respectively.  It's a stamina thing and a don't lose much cadence before it gets 'cooler.'

Friday was a good lifting day, too.

-30-

Sunday evening, I thought that it could be a good time to do a 1 rep max on the sitting bench press.  Thinking that 165 lbs was my most recent 1 rep max, I chose 170 and I did it very steadily.  I tried 175, but was only able to push it off the resting pads.  Then, when I got home, I looked at my last 1 rep max, so I could record this new 170!  Well, I did 170 back on May 6.  Drat!  It's a little interesting or disappointing than I haven't made much progress to 175 in 3 months.  I might have to include again on Fridays the sitting bench press.

Otherwise, I increased the decline bench press from 95 to 100 lbs.  And in my search to increase my knee mobility, I grabbed a 22 pound kettlebell and did 3 sets of 8 goblet squats.  This caused some discomfort in the posterior right knee, which I have been dealing with for about 3 weeks.  Doesn't bother me when I run, thankfully.  I'll probably go to the PCP and get some orders to see their in-house PT department, so I can work on knee mobility, including being able to sit on my calves again.

Tuesday will be a 4 mile run at 157 to see how far I can go before jumping off the pier.  It's been 82 in the mornings, here.  We've had 7 straight days of 100+ and looking for another 8.  Excessive Heat Warnings are in play.

If you want to monitor the energy use and production for Texas, here's the website.  Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ercot.com)

At least hurricanes are a non-issue in the Atlantic basin.  Come again!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:49 am

It was 82 degrees with a dew point of 77.  The quest to extend on the 1.17 miles from last Tuesday fell flat on its face.  Fortunately, I was able to keep only my feet touching the pavement.  So under one of the running pillars named "there is no such thing as a junk mile," I plodded on for a 3 mile, 141 avg cadence, 118 avg HR act of one foot in front of the other.  Rinse repeat.

I'm on the downward track on hot weather for the Summer.  Should be happening at the Fall equinox, when the first cool front arrives.  It won't last long as it might barely clear Galveston before backing up.  A less than 12 hour cool front might not even cause the morning temp to change.  That's also the crucial event for Houston's end of hurricane season because the front will block and divert tropical systems to the east or south.  Usually the east.

August is also the beginning of more tropical activity.

Training with Flies - Page 13 Peakofseason

Thanks for viewing.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:20 pm

Do you weigh yourself before and after your runs? I'd be curious to know how much weight you sweat off on one of those runs in the Housauna area. 

To that end, do you take anything to replace electrolytes sweated out on these workouts? I'd taste like a walking salt lick.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:16 pm

Last Tuesday, I lost 4 pounds of water after the 4 mile run.  I'm not sure if that 4 for 4 could end up being a usable gauge for other distances or not.

I had consumed 2 quarts of water within an hour of finishing.  That was the run where it took me 25 minutes to stop sweating.  Looking over the Heat warnings (stroke or exhaustion), 'excessive sweating' is a symptom of heat exhaustion, but no dizziness or any other symptom.  I didn't take my temperature, but another run had me sweating near as much and I did take my temp and it had raised 1 degree from 97.6 to 98.6.  97.6 is my normal.

As far as 'salt lick,' I'm never in that predicament.  I am diligent on taking potassium citrate every day, which keep my salt from leaving.  Potassium and salt have to be in balance.  When potassium is low, the body throws off salt by all means necessary to get back in balance.  THIS is the reason why you see many runners with salt in their hair, on their skin, etc. Not enough potassium.  Those who market salted products (gatorade, Salt Lick, etc) have convinced people that salt intake is key.  Why?  Salt is cheap.  Potassium costs 6 or 7 times what salt does.

Potassium also helps keep blood pressure down.  I wasn't diligent in May when my BP was up when I went to the cardiologist for about 3 weeks because I wanted to see what happens.  Now I know.

Another benefit of potassium repletion is fewer trips to the bathroom during the night.  I now know exactly when I have been delinquent in potassium due to increased trips to the bathroom OR peeing more than once during a run because the body is throwing off salt so it's in balance with the potassium.

I take 2 teaspoons of potassium citrate powder in 10 oz of water by nursing it throughout the day.  You could titrate 1/4 teaspoon in 10 oz of water for a week and increase the dosage by another 1/4 teaspoon a week until you hit 2 teaspoons.  If you try to go from 0 to 2 teaspoons, then it will act like starting the cleansing for a colonoscopy.

Speaking of BP:
My averages.
May average 15 days126.3978.8362.1
June average121.7176.5260.6
July average118.2976.6158.0
August avg 8 days117.5078.5061.3
overall avgAverage121.011577.2460.03
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:49 pm

Interesting. I never considered potassium balance before. I'd often end up with crusty temples when it got warm. Good tip. Especially the whole "not all at once" tip.  affraid

Nice BP numbers, too. Your doc must be pleased.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:07 am

The cardiologist doesn't know about the July and August numbers, yet.  I sent him the May and June numbers, which caused him to make no changes to my BP med.  I don't see him again until November.  I don't expect him to discontinue the med because I "throw PVC's" which are peri-ventricular contractions.  It's when the heart beats fast for 5 seconds, then corrects itself.  I've had that sporadically for 10-15 years.  My BP med is supposed to help with that.

August 20 is 4th year since my myocardial infarction in the left Circumflex artery (LCX).

Regarding the potassium citrate, you can get it at purebulk.com.  Use the code raymundedwards and you'll get a 10% discount.  No fillers.  Just potassium citrate.

-30-

This morning's shoulders workout went well.  Also worked a bit on mobility in my knees by walking backwards some and trying to get even a smidgen closer to being able to sit on my legs again.  I really need to work on my mobility all over.

thanks.  Running again, tomorrow.  82 degrees, no doubt.  Yesterday it was 82 degrees, as noted yesterday.  But the disappointing thing is that it was 82 degrees at midnight, 1 a.m., 2 a.m., 3 a.m., 4 a.m., and 5 a.m.  Same for today.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:33 pm

Mark, let me give you another analogy on potassium and salt.

Let's say you're holding an empty 12 oz drinking glass.  This represents your potassium level in your body at present.  Now, pour in 10 oz of liquid into the glass without overflowing the glass.  This liquid represents salt.  So, as long as your drinking glass doesn't become smaller, your body is in balance related to potassium and salt.

Now, let's say you haven't been getting your potassium over the past week.  The result is you are now holding a drinking glass of less than 12 oz, how about 6 oz.  

But the 10 liquid is more than the 6 oz glass can hold, now.  What happens?  The body throws off in sweat and pee, 4 ounces (10 oz - 6 oz) in order to maintain the balance.  Now, your hair is crinkly. 

Separately, I saw a commercial for the shingles vaccine and it seems it's free to employees in group insurance.  You may want to check that out.

Class is over.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:04 am

ounce wrote:Mark, let me give you another analogy on potassium and salt.

Let's say you're holding an empty 12 oz drinking glass.  This represents your potassium level in your body at present.  Now, pour in 10 oz of liquid into the glass without overflowing the glass.  This liquid represents salt.  So, as long as your drinking glass doesn't become smaller, your body is in balance related to potassium and salt.

Now, let's say you haven't been getting your potassium over the past week.  The result is you are now holding a drinking glass of less than 12 oz, how about 6 oz.  

But the 10 liquid is more than the 6 oz glass can hold, now.  What happens?  The body throws off in sweat and pee, 4 ounces (10 oz - 6 oz) in order to maintain the balance.  Now, your hair is crinkly. 

Separately, I saw a commercial for the shingles vaccine and it seems it's free to employees in group insurance.  You may want to check that out.

Class is over.

Thanks, Professor! That was a great way of explaining the process. And yes, getting a shingles vax is definitely on the to-do list for both of us. I've known to many people who have had shingles, and it didn't go well for any of them.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:19 pm

3 or 4 weeks ago, I was recruited to help a family member, who was not very able to adjust the sitting position to a more upright position.  So, I adjust the 200 pound person by being on the side of the couch with my arms under the armpits and lifted towards me to the more desired upright position.  Easy peasy.  Working out became useful!

About a week later, I was having some whining behind the knee, inside of that thick tendon on the lateral side.  It didn't hurt when I was running, but sitting at a desk or table for 30 minutes or so, it was acting like rigor mortis and took a bit to stretch it out by just walking.  The following week, the whining stretched across the whole back of the knee, but still no problem running on it.  This was the same week, when I had begun to walk backwards to unrelatedly build up the muscles around the knee.

Last week, I started considering going to the doc so he could prescribe some PT work on it.  Maybe even throw in some mobility work to be able to sit on my lower legs, again.  But over the weekend, I thought about not running this week and not walking backwards, but still lift weights.

So yesterday, I started that.  I lifted and was mindful of not engaging my knees in a manner that would engage the knee.  I didn't run this morning.  In fact, I didn't even set the alarm.  The whining has worked its way back to its origin of pain, although getting up this morning, the knee was a little tight, like rigor mortis.

However, there's a meteorological event that seems like it'll happen in the morning.  We have a cool front working through Texas that is supposed to pass through Houston, this afternoon.  It will result, if it comes true, in a dew point of 59 degrees, rather than 79.  The air temperature will still be in the upper 70s, but  Laughing, it'll be a dry upper 70s. Laughing  So, I expect a dew point of 65.  If that happens, I'm running in the morning.  Knee pain or not.

The High pressure that's been in Texas for most of the Summer will be heading to Julie's, next week, on its way to Chicago. Next week, we might even get some rain.

So, I may still go to the doc, next week.  It would be good to do the PT.  The guys that did work on my calves 10 years ago are still there, so they're a known quantity.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next