365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training with Flies

5 posters

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Training with Flies - Page 12 Empty Re: Training with Flies

Post  ounce Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:56 am

I liked Reagan, too.  Never liked jelly beans, though.

We had a Spring, this year.  We had 50s-60s as lows all the way through April and some of May.  Don't have too many Spring days, usually.  Winter, well, the joke here is we have 2 days of winter surrounded by 363 days of Summer.  It's not that bad, though...almost.  Runners learn to relish November through February for the cool weather 75% of those days.  When we have that first 3 days of cooler weather in October (which are lows in the low 60s), we act like dogs doing zoomies.

I feel sorry for these local runners that are training for Chicago or Marine Corps.

-30-

Shoulders workout, this morning.  Muscles were a little sleepy.  That, coupled with the 79 degree dew point, and I was actually sweating a lot during the workout.  The gym had the A/C cranking and the Big Ass Fan working and I was still sweating.  I think that was why the muscles were sleepy.  But I got through it and even increased 2 of the 5 routines' weight.  Sort of a kick a man while he's down attitude.

Tomorrow, the 4 miles is on the schedule.  It's supposed to be in the mid-90s for tomorrow and Friday.  Maybe even some rain.  Saturday re-starts the 100+ degree days for the next 8 days.  It's really odd that we have this dome of High pressure in June.  It's usually reserved for August and early September.  But, it's the hand we've been dealt.

And so it goes.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:Training with Flies - Page 12 Img_4510
Training with Flies - Page 12 Img_4511

Just for fun I thought I'd share what my "body battery" charge is this evening.  I was running with a total stranger and we got a good laugh about the fact that we didn't feel tired until we saw how low our battery was.   Laughing

Wait a minute.... what the heck is this actually measuring, anyway? Calories expended or something? It's not like it comes with a dipstick or anything, right?  affraid

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:14 pm

This morning, it was 77 degrees with a dew point of 73.  First not-80+ degree morning since June 13.  

scratch  Why, you may ask?  Well, we had a massively large thunderstorm roll through last night about 9 CT.  50 miles wide by 25 miles N-S.  3,000 lightning strikes in 15 minutes.  But wait!  There's more!!  Before local news went to national news at 5:30 CT, they said there was a huge area of thunderstorms in Dallas (250 miles as the car flies, but mostly straight (I-45)) that was supposed to arrive at 9:30 or 4 hours.  Doing the math, those thunderstorms were moving at 50+ mph.  Well, it arrived 30 minutes early like 2 competing HBCU marching bands at a parade.

Wind gusts at the big airport (Bush IAH) were clocked by the NWS at 97 mph. affraid  A measly 48 mph in Galveston.  The 97 mph broke a record for Bush that was set back in 2008, when Hurricane Ike came ashore.  So, that's why it was cooler and noticeable.  Amazing how 5 degrees makes a difference.  Alas, we'll be below 100 degrees until Monday because we have a chance of rain through Sunday.  Then, back to 100-102 temps

While the 4 mile run this morning was faster, I was able to hold cadence for 2 whole miles.  I was pleased.  Hoping for all 4 to hold cadence, but it was still 77 degrees, after all.

4 miles, 1:00:33, 15:07 pace, 131 avg bpm, 150 avg cadence.
1.  14:54, 157 spm
2.  14:16, 157 spm
3.  15:25, 146 spm
4.  15:52, 144 spm

I had to push a little to keep the 2nd mile cadence at 157.  I didn't think the 4th mile was that slow, but that's the way it runs.  Conversely, any summertime run with a split less than 16 is a good run.  But from an energy level point of view, I'm pleased with still being able to lift 3 days and run two 4 milers.  8 miles for the week.  

Lifting tomorrow.  Vertigo hasn't been an issue for a couple of weeks, now.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:25 am

This morning, that Wintertime temp of 77 degrees was gone.  Back to 82 degrees.  BUT, I went to lift.

Monday, I didn't lift because no one opened the joint.  Wednesday was shoulders, only.  So, today was the first time I've done the 60 minute workout since last Friday.  Boy, could I tell it!  But, I soldiered on and completed the workout, some with fewer reps.  Even increased the weight on 1 machine.

Lost 12 pounds since June 12.  Can't tell where, yet, but there's a lot of boy to stealthily remove things.  20 years ago, it wasn't noticeable until I lost 20.

Monday is today's repeat.  100-102 days start tomorrow or Sunday through the following weekend.  10 days and could be longer, but the 10 day forecast didn't go to 11.

Y'all behave.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:26 pm

Mark B wrote:

Wait a minute.... what the heck is this actually measuring, anyway? Calories expended or something? It's not like it comes with a dipstick or anything, right?  affraid
According to Garmin they use a combination of HRV...Heart Rate Variability, stress, sleep quality, and activity.  I don't put a lot of stock in it but fun and it's quite useful when I need to provide concrete evidence to Marty that I'm tired and need to rest.   Wink
ounce wrote:This morning, that Wintertime temp of 77 degrees was gone.  Back to 82 degrees.  BUT, I went to lift.

Monday, I didn't lift because no one opened the joint.  Wednesday was shoulders, only.  So, today was the first time I've done the 60 minute workout since last Friday.  Boy, could I tell it!  But, I soldiered on and completed the workout, some with fewer reps.  Even increased the weight on 1 machine.

Lost 12 pounds since June 12.  Can't tell where, yet, but there's a lot of boy to stealthily remove things.  20 years ago, it wasn't noticeable until I lost 20.

Monday is today's repeat.  100-102 days start tomorrow or Sunday through the following weekend.  10 days and could be longer, but the 10 day forecast didn't go to 11.

Y'all behave.
Congrats on the lifting and the weight loss.   cheers

A friend currently living north of Dallas is flying in tomorrow for a short visit.  She said the storms missed her but it's been hot and she's looking forward to Oregon temperatures.

Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

ounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:54 pm

Oh, I don't doubt she will enjoy Sunny Central Oregon, today and the rest of time she is with you.

A by-product of the weight loss, once I triple the current loss would be advantageous for the ultimate weight lifting goal....the pull up.  Doubt that amount of loss would be enough, but I might be able to pull myself off the ground.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:36 am

81 degrees, this morning.  Not a running day, but tomorrow is!  Yuck.

It was a lifting day.  And lift I did.  Hit the usual one hour circuit of machines and dumbbells except for 1, but I ran out of time.  I hit the 'standards.'  

I think I have a certain amount of energy to do 60-70 minutes of lifting.  Some routines I am in the middle of advancing to the next weight and some routines I am at the beginning of advancing.  The decline bench is an example of where I'm 85% ready to advance.  The flat bench and incline bench are at 25% and 10% ready, respectively.  So it takes more energy on the flat and incline, than the decline because the muscles are warming up to the idea of the new weight.

Right now, out of 9 standards, only 4 are >75% including the one I didn't do.  The other 5 are in the 5%-25% range, which seemingly requires more energy to get up the hill of advancing.  I have to be mindful of this, now.  One or two of the 5%-25% have to get to 50% before I can advance one of the 75% items.  I can tweak how I do the 75%, so I'm still gaining at the same weight.

Maybe in a couple of months, the 9 will be better spread.

Your bus is here.  Scoot along, now.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:45 am

Sweaty

81 degrees and 77 dew point.  A most difficult run.  Almost turned around for a 3 mile run, buuuut went on and did 4.  I am bushed.  I certainly can't tell that I've lost 12 pounds.   Laughing

4 miles, 1:05:11, 16:17 pace, 127 avg bpm, 144 avg cadence
1.  15:41, 155 spm
2.  15:52, 142 spm
3.  16:59, 140 spm
4.  16:33, 138 spm

On a whim, I took my temperature.  I felt the usual overheating after and during the run, but I just wanted to quantify it.  98.6, but my normal is 97.5.  Am I concerned?  Nope.  Heat stroke is a core temp of >104.

Tomorrow is shoulders.  Now, where is my hot tea?

Enjoy the heat, if you must.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:28 am

ounce wrote:Sweaty

81 degrees and 77 dew point.  A most difficult run.  Almost turned around for a 3 mile run, buuuut went on and did 4.  I am bushed.  I certainly can't tell that I've lost 12 pounds.   Laughing

On a whim, I took my temperature.  I felt the usual overheating after and during the run, but I just wanted to quantify it.  98.6, but my normal is 97.5.  Am I concerned?  Nope.  Heat stroke is a core temp of >104.

Geez, after a run in those conditions, I'd think you'd have sweated off another 12 pounds. Yuck, indeed.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:26 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Sweaty

Geez, after a run in those conditions, I'd think you'd have sweated off another 12 pounds. Yuck, indeed.
Maybe 3-4 pounds.  Years back, I remember losing 9 pounds one time, but the socks were soaked, the shoes were squishy, and my clothes looked like I was in a wet t-shirt competition. No  That was on a mid-teen August long run.

Tuesday was just a 1 complete squeeze of the sweatband.  

-30-

Ah, the shoulders workout.  A couple of the dumbbells were hard to find, as well as a pair of bar clips (bare barbell, 2 weights on each side, and a clip on each side to keep the weights on the bar).  So, I found a 50 lb came-from-the-factory barbell to use.  I usually lift 52.5 lbs, but that's okay.

After finishing that circuit, I went over to the incline bench to see how many sets of X reps I could do at the new 95 lb weight.  Like last week, when it seemed someone added weight to the bar, it happened again.  On a non-shoulders day, I could do 3 sets of 4 reps at 95.  Today, 2 sets of 3 reps and 1 set of 2 reps.  No harm came to the weights.

Thursday is a 4 mile running day.  I am so not excited to do the run, BUT I shall persevere in the severe conditions.  Just doing my job.  Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to collect your lollipop on your way out.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Mark B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:29 am

81 and 77, this morning.  During the first half mile, the legs were not responding as they usually do.  But I wanted to run 3, if I couldn't do 4.

3 was it.  I jumped off the pier before the first mile was up.

3 miles, 49:33, 16:30 pace, 123 avg bpm, 142 avg cadence
1.  16:04, 148 spm
2.  16:27, 140 spm
3.  17:05, 138 spm
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:43 pm

ounce wrote:81 and 77, this morning.  During the first half mile, the legs were not responding as they usually do.  But I wanted to run 3, if I couldn't do 4.

Kudos to you for sticking with your goals to run through the summer conditions and be ready to add speed and distance when the temps cool off.  As usual I'm impressed.

I got caught up on your other posts.  Sounds like lifting is going well.  I think it's a good activity for you in the summer...mostly because you seem to enjoy it...but more importantly because I assume the gym is a bit cooler.

Thanks for the lollipop.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:51 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:81 and 77, this morning.  During the first half mile, the legs were not responding as they usually do.  But I wanted to run 3, if I couldn't do 4.

Kudos to you for sticking with your goals to run through the summer conditions and be ready to add speed and distance when the temps cool off.  As usual I'm impressed.

I got caught up on your other posts.  Sounds like lifting is going well.  I think it's a good activity for you in the summer...mostly because you seem to enjoy it...but more importantly because I assume the gym is a bit cooler.

Thanks for the lollipop.
I wish I could do more or faster.  I've known for almost 20 years there is no such thing as junk miles.  Last year validated that.  Plodding just isn't fun.

On the other hand, yes, lifting is going pretty well.  Yes, the gym is A/C'd and has a Big Ass Fan with 6-10' blades.  This week or last, they bumped up the speed and it really feels nice.  I do enjoy lifting.

Friday went well.  I saw a video about overdoing lifting on a specific muscle group.  I am doing too much work on the pectoral muscle group.  So, instead of doing 4 machines for a workout, I'll do 2 machines on Mondays and 2 machines on Fridays.  That should please those muscles.

I'll be able to execute a normal running and lifting schedule, next week.  Tomorrow might be the first day in almost 3 weeks where Houston won't have a Heat Advisory.  The High pressure has scooted east to Alabama, so they're under the heat advisories now.  Our temps will be going from 97 tomorrow to 93 on Thursday and Friday.  Rain is forecasted for Thursday and Fridy...subject to change.

Y'all have a good 4th.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:38 am

I went a liftin', this morning.  Worked through the circuit with the revised 2 bench press routines (sitting and decline), instead of all 4.  Friday will have the flat and incline bench for its contribution.  Hopefully, by just tweaking and spreading out the 4 bench press routines, that can allow the energy for that hour to be spread around PLUS even retaining a dash of energy for the rest of the day.  In weight loss, there are plateaus where you're seemingly stuck at a weight and not losing.  I don't know if weight lifting has something similar, but it seems that I've been stuck at a couple of routines that I mentioned last week.

So maybe tweaking the bench press will allow me to bust through a plateau on a couple of routines.  

Below is the air temperature scatter graph for June that's published by the National Weather Service Houston/Galveston office.  Record highs are in pinkish color background, seasonal is the green background, and low records are in lavender.  The star on top on June 21 was a new record high.  Navy blue is what happened that day.  The heading that has "IAH" stands for Intercontinental Airport Houston a.k.a. "Intercontinental," "Bush" for George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport, or "the big airport" because "HOU" is Hobby Airport (the small airport).

Training with Flies - Page 12 KIAH202306plot
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:28 pm

ounce wrote:I went a liftin', this morning.  Worked through the circuit with the revised 2 bench press routines (sitting and decline), instead of all 4.  Friday will have the flat and incline bench for its contribution.  Hopefully, by just tweaking and spreading out the 4 bench press routines, that can allow the energy for that hour to be spread around PLUS even retaining a dash of energy for the rest of the day.  In weight loss, there are plateaus where you're seemingly stuck at a weight and not losing.  I don't know if weight lifting has something similar, but it seems that I've been stuck at a couple of routines that I mentioned last week.

So maybe tweaking the bench press will allow me to bust through a plateau on a couple of routines.  

Below is the air temperature scatter graph for June that's published by the National Weather Service Houston/Galveston office.  Record highs are in pinkish color background, seasonal is the green background, and low records are in lavender.  The star on top on June 21 was a new record high.  Navy blue is what happened that day.  The heading that has "IAH" stands for Intercontinental Airport Houston a.k.a. "Intercontinental," "Bush" for George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport, or "the big airport" because "HOU" is Hobby Airport (the small airport).

Training with Flies - Page 12 KIAH202306plot
I have a hunch that alternating the lifts will help and you'll see some improvement.  I agree that we often hit plateaus and it takes time and variety to start seeing improvement again.

You really have had some challenging weather.  I think I heard on the news that it was moving on and giving you a slight reprieve for a few days.  I hope so!

Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:15 pm

Yes, Nancy, it's been a challenge.  The High is supposed to be on Texas all next week.  It's out of the way, right now.  As a result, deep moisture and the heat caused some active (thunder 'n lightning) today.  The big airport received 2.13 inches, today.  Broke a record for this date going back to 1942.

-30-

Tuesday - ran 4 miles at a decent pace for 81 degrees.  During the run, I thought of maybe using fartleks based on cadence to maybe help me run a quicker time.  I ran 2 minutes faster than June 27 at 1:05:11.  The cadence graph looked like a few up/down, up/down, etc.  But it worked.

4 miles, 1:02:58, 149 avg cadence
1.  15:59, 157 spm
2.  15:06, 152 spm
3.  15:46, 148 spm
4.  16:02, 141 spm

Wednesday was the Shoulders workout.  Increased a weight on one of the five routines.  

Thursday - surprisingly, I ran 4 miles this morning.  it was 79 degrees with a 75 dew point.  The legs felt good at 1.5 miles (the turnaround point for 3 miles), so I kept going.  Decided against doing fartleks, just to baby the body some.  Reserve that as a Tuesday workout.

4 miles, 15:22 pace, 1:01:52, 130 avg bpm, 160 max bpm, 150 avg cadence.
1.  15:14, 157 spm
2.  14:34, 155 spm
3.  15:30, 145 spm
4.  16:04, 139 spm

This run was a minute faster than Tuesday's fartlek run.  Please note the miles 1 & 2 cadence splits today's run were closer to the 157 set cadence than either Tuesday or June 27.  This is the type of data that's telling me I'm getting better.

Even in the depths of a humid summer, improvement happens.

Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:52 am

I checked weather in your region during the worst of your heat wave, and holy moly. The high was 94, which around here is hot but not terribly so, but the dew point was something like 83 and the "real feel" (aka the wet bulb temperature?) was 117. That's murderously hot. To be able to do anything other than hunker down with an a/c in those conditions is impressive. I hope it breaks soon.

And you're right: there's no such thing as a junk run, as your improvement proves quite nicely. Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:26 pm

Mark B wrote:I checked weather in your region during the worst of your heat wave, and holy moly. The high was 94, which around here is hot but not terribly so, but the dew point was something like 83 and the "real feel" (aka the wet bulb temperature?) was 117. That's murderously hot. To be able to do anything other than hunker down with an a/c in those conditions is impressive. I hope it breaks soon.

And you're right: there's no such thing as a junk run, as your improvement proves quite nicely. Approval
'Both of these methods of measuring the potential of heat-related stresses on your body are good to use. There is one major difference though. The heat index is calculated for shady areas and the wet-bulb globe temperature is calculated for areas in direct sunlight.'  from Fox24 in Fayetteville, AR.

83 for a dew point would have to be on the coast.  Houston might get to 81 for a dew point, but that's rare.  Now, it's possible that the air temp was 83 and the heat index (real feel) was 94.  83 would be before 9 a.m.  I'm not thrilled to run in the daylight when it's in the 50s, much less the 80's.  I just won't look at the heat index number at 4:30 a.m.  That heat index number is just not good for my attitude.

-30-

Friday was regular lifting with the flat and incline bench press.  I get done sooner when I'm only doing 2 types of bench press by about 10 minutes.  So a 50 minute workout.  That helps out the overall weekly exercise amount.  The Shoulders workout only takes about 35 minutes.

I believe I have stated in the past about how difficult doing an incline bench after doing the Shoulders restaurant.  This afternoon, I was watching a guy do 1 routine specifically for the front deltoid muscle.  He advised not doing a front deltoid muscle exercise before doing the flat bench and/or incline bench because the front deltoid muscle is involved with the flat and incline bench exercise.  There ya have it.

Good week for exercise.  Monday means 97 and hotter for the rest of the week. santa
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:25 pm

I lifted this morning.  It went well.  Again, not doing 4 bench press iterations, but just 2, left me with some time.  I hadn't done any leg lifts in quite a while, so I did two sets of 20 (lie on floor, outstretch legs, then lift both legs to 90 degrees, then back down).

Mark, in Houston, there's a couple of local meteorologists that have a webpage called Space City Weather for a 'hype-free' weather forecast, which means there are a whole lot of Chicken Littles in the Houston area that can't handle the local TV weather forecast graphics packages and prefer just reading and commiserating.

They posted a little paragraph about Wet Bulb Globe Temperature.
Let’s talk about heat, extreme heat, and something called the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature – Space City Weather
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:36 pm

ounce wrote:I lifted this morning.  It went well.  Again, not doing 4 bench press iterations, but just 2, left me with some time.  I hadn't done any leg lifts in quite a while, so I did two sets of 20 (lie on floor, outstretch legs, then lift both legs to 90 degrees, then back down).

Mark, in Houston, there's a couple of local meteorologists that have a webpage called Space City Weather for a 'hype-free' weather forecast, which means there are a whole lot of Chicken Littles in the Houston area that can't handle the local TV weather forecast graphics packages and prefer just reading and commiserating.

Let’s talk about heat, extreme heat, and something called the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature – Space City Weather
I think all this talk just makes already hot days feel even hotter!  It is kind of interesting though...

Curious...are your abs sore after doing the leg lifts?  I know mine would be!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:36 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I lifted this morning.  It went well.  Again, not doing 4 bench press iterations, but just 2, left me with some time.  I hadn't done any leg lifts in quite a while, so I did two sets of 20 (lie on floor, outstretch legs, then lift both legs to 90 degrees, then back down).

I think all this talk just makes already hot days feel even hotter!  It is kind of interesting though...

Curious...are your abs sore after doing the leg lifts?  I know mine would be!
Well, the hot days down here are supposed to be through the end of July, from the standpoint of Heat Advisories.  Luckily, that's the worst of it.  We're not recording 100+ degree days in a row.  Or 110+ like Phoenix.  I think for June we had 21 days in a row of Heat Advisories for 108+.  North and South Dakota get heat advisories for 95+ degree days.

As far as hurting abs, no.  For me, leg lifts just affect the abs from the pubic bone to just above the belly button.  Not the part from the sternum to the belly button.

-30-

81 degrees and 79 degrees.  Got to the 1/3rd mile point and the legs were starting to falter.  So, I walked to 1 mile and turned around.  I did route maintenance, as I usually do when I walk a section of my route.  Trimmed some limbs that were too low.  But there was this one 40 feet long stretch of overhanging tree like bush with 1 inch thorns on them.  Came back to the apt and retrieved my hedge clippers.  I trimmed them all back to about a foot off the sidewalk.  They had grown to almost the street.  I carefully watched for poison ivy stalks and didn't see any.

Come again!

So, I did get something accomplished today that would pay dividends for the rest of the summer.  You see, there's no such thing as junk trimming. Rolling Eyes
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:01 pm

I performed the Shoulders workout, this morning.  Parts were tough or very tough or not so bad.  I'd say split in a 3-1-1.  The last thing I did was to try to loosen up my knees by trying to sit on my calves & shoes.  I can't do it right now and I have a ways to go to be able to sit on my calves.

I also started working on my grip, specifically the tips of my fingers.  I would hold the head (or tail) of a 10 lb dumbbell in each hand for 15 seconds to start, then 20 seconds, then to failure.  If I change the grip to be like holding the handle of an American Tourister suitcase, I can hold 45 pounds in each hand.  But spreading the fingers out with a 10 pound dumbbell seems much more challenging and works the finger's muscles a lot more.  Doesn't take much time to do this.

Running, tomorrow!  Maybe even do 3 or 4 miles.  Heat index today of 111.  Aye-dios.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:37 am

ounce wrote:I performed the Shoulders workout, this morning.  Parts were tough or very tough or not so bad.  I'd say split in a 3-1-1.  The last thing I did was to try to loosen up my knees by trying to sit on my calves & shoes.  I can't do it right now and I have a ways to go to be able to sit on my calves.

I also started working on my grip, specifically the tips of my fingers.  I would hold the head (or tail) of a 10 lb dumbbell in each hand for 15 seconds to start, then 20 seconds, then to failure.  If I change the grip to be like holding the handle of an American Tourister suitcase, I can hold 45 pounds in each hand.  But spreading the fingers out with a 10 pound dumbbell seems much more challenging and works the finger's muscles a lot more.  Doesn't take much time to do this.

Running, tomorrow!  Maybe even do 3 or 4 miles.  Heat index today of 111.  Aye-dios.
Hey, nice job on the trail maintenance!

I like that you're working on new things...variety is the spice of life.  Flexibility is pretty important so I think that's a good priority.  And I do think that those smaller gripping muscles are important.  Interesting technique.

Stay safe on your run!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:44 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I performed the Shoulders workout, this morning.  Parts were tough or very tough or not so bad.  I'd say split in a 3-1-1.  The last thing I did was to try to loosen up my knees by trying to sit on my calves & shoes.  I can't do it right now and I have a ways to go to be able to sit on my calves.

I like that you're working on new things...variety is the spice of life.  Flexibility is pretty important so I think that's a good priority.  And I do think that those smaller gripping muscles are important.  Interesting technique.

Stay safe on your run!
Ohhhhh, I was safe when I ran 3 miles, but it was 81 and 79.  But I found out something interesting from a personal motivation point of view.  Tuesday, I was, to a degree, passing some of the responsibility for that run to the weather.  The weather will have to carry me some of the distance.  Boy, was that the wrong thing to do.  The responsibility for completing the run is mine, even though running in the Summer here is like putting a treadmill in a wet sauna room.  Will I run 3 miles?  Will I run 4 miles?  It's up to the legs because the brain doesn't have legs.  The brain can run long, just by thinking it.  

Today, it was 3 miles in 49 minutes flat.

Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:54 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Stay safe on your run!
Ohhhhh, I was safe when I ran 3 miles, but it was 81 and 79.  But I found out something interesting from a personal motivation point of view.  Tuesday, I was, to a degree, passing some of the responsibility for that run to the weather.  The weather will have to carry me some of the distance.  Boy, was that the wrong thing to do.  The responsibility for completing the run is mine, even though running in the Summer here is like putting a treadmill in a wet sauna room.  Will I run 3 miles?  Will I run 4 miles?  It's up to the legs because the brain doesn't have legs.  The brain can run long, just by thinking it.  

Today, it was 3 miles in 49 minutes flat.

Thanks for reading.
I don't think we can ignore the physical aspect of running and it's especially important to listen to our bodies as we age...and experience cardiac issues.  But I do think that running is more mental than we/I care to admit.  

I listened to Des Linden's book yesterday while in the tractor.  Interesting is an understatement at least from my point of view.  Her thoughts before/during/after she won Boston were weaved into a telling of the path that got her there.  It wasn't a smooth path or a smooth race day but her mental toughness carried her through. It's a good lesson for me.

I was pleased to see you finished 3 this morning.  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next