365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summerfest Rock and Sole 10K

+6
Alex Kubacki
Dave-O
Dave Wolfe
Nick Morris
Kenny B.
Jim fredericks
10 posters

Go down

Summerfest Rock and Sole 10K  Empty Summerfest Rock and Sole 10K

Post  Jim fredericks Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Inaugural races are always risky. This was the first year for this half-marathon and 10K that was to be run over and back on the Hoan Bridge overlooking downtown Milwaukee and Lake Michigan. It was hot and steamy this morning. Temperature in the 80's and humidity 75%. I was sweating jus walking over from the parking garage. The 10K was supposed to start at 0815 but as we got to the starting area it was announced that it would start at 0830. Too late for a day like this and giving the 10K runners an extra 15 minutes to cook in the starting corral.

The first mile was uphill on the approach to the bridge and past the bridge was the first water station which had no water! They had run out of water and gatorade before the 10K runners ever got out on the course. The temperature was now near 90 degrees and now there was no liquids on the course. I got to the 3 mile mark and shut it down. Just strolled in the last 3 miles. I tore the timing chip off my bib and threw it away .I was not going to let them hang a time on me for this debacle. Runners were starting to drop from the heat and dehydration. Ambulances and fire trucks all over the place. There was supposed to be a system of different colored flags at the water stations to warn runners about the conditions. I only saw one flag and it was green which was supposed to indicate all is well. Really? This race should have been black flagged.

The finish area was small and cramped. They did have water and gatorade plus lots of food at the finish. They also had finishers medals for the 10K runners which was a nice touch. The organizers did some things right but not having water out on the course in those conditions is indefensible and inexcusable. I would think hard before entering this race again.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Summerfest Rock and Sole 10K  Empty Re: Summerfest Rock and Sole 10K

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:59 pm

When they start 15 min late in hot weather its a sign of bad things to come. How frustrating for you. Inaugural races pose that risk. You did the smart thing imo to call it a day and stroll in. takes a special type of runner to toss the timing chip and takes a dnf eventhough you finished.

its a 10k there should be no excuses for lack of fluids and the debacle that went on at this race. Im feeling your dissapointment. but I do know there is purpose to it all.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It was definitley a steamy morning for a race. Inagural races are definitley iffy and what happened to you is the reason why. I had a couple of friends that ran the half marathon. They said that it was warm, but didn't mention the lack of water.

Heat is the reason that I do not race during the summer months.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Tough and disappointing day. Smart move to pull the plug.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks guys. This race was not a really big deal to me. The one next month in Chicago is. I felt bad for the people for whom this race did mean a lot to. They got hosed by the organizers. I read on the local paper's online site that the fire department made them black flag the race at about 1000 so they wont be reporting any times. Oh well, my chip is laying on the bridge somewhere anyway.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Jim fredericks wrote:Thanks guys. This race was not a really big deal to me. The one next month in Chicago is. I felt bad for the people for whom this race did mean a lot to. They got hosed by the organizers. I read on the local paper's online site that the fire department made them black flag the race at about 1000 so they wont be reporting any times. Oh well, my chip is laying on the bridge somewhere anyway.

Yes, it made the news here in Madison. They said that they ran out of cups and water. They also said that 20 people were hospitalized.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Hopefully no one was seriously injured, because that sounds like a mess. Too bad.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 am

That's too bad about what happened. Smart decision shutting it down.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:04 am

Wow sounds like quite the cluster - but you did the right thing with the right attitude Jim. Hope you are fine, and you'll be able to run another race soon. Hopefully most of the runners were as smart as you.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Bummer, there certainly were some issues with that race.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:06 pm

That does not sound fun at all. NO water??? CRAZY! Glad you played it smart.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Ah that sucks. What were they thinking?

Glad they at least had food at the end. Very strange still
ChasMcG
ChasMcG