365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are not elites, but we are also not the norm. Who are we?

+16
Liz R
John Kilpatrick
Diego
Schuey
Mark B
Jack_Scaff
Dave-O
Mike MacLellan
Admin
Jerry
stanton
Julie
Stephanie
ChasMcG
Nick Morris
Kenny B.
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

We are not elites, but we are also not the norm. Who are we? Empty We are not elites, but we are also not the norm. Who are we?

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 pm

It seems as we head into the soon to be middle of marathon season and for many soon hitting some peak mileage niggles, injuries may come up.

I think we tend to lose sight that for most of us we are not elites, we don't have that great form they do, coaches, and staff to help us, along with our stresses in life can lead to beating our body ups both mentally and physically and for some spiritually.

At the same time we are not the avg. runner. This forum comprises of many road warriors putting in 60 70 80 100+ miles weeks.

I know for me I am not a natural born runner. I have increased my mileage over the years quite conservatively. And even so I know when I am getting up to 65 -75 miles in a week I have to pay very close attention to my body, mind and soul. Staying flexible is NOT easy but it's got to be part of the schedule.

I notice many people on this forum are logging some really heavy mileage in quite a short time which is quite impressive but is it prudent?

I ain't an elite and I ain't a your regular runner, so who am I? I mean to say sub elite well isn't anyone less than elite sub elite by nature of the name.

Anyways, not sure why I am posting this nor if this even deserves a response but it is just some thoughts as I read some of the blogs including my own.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

We are not elites, but we are also not the norm. Who are we? Empty Re: We are not elites, but we are also not the norm. Who are we?

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:01 pm

I think that everyone wants to strive for excellence and be the best runner that they can be. I think that we all are working hard and in my mind we are all elites in our own way. Some of us have families and we still manage to get our runs in. Some of us have stressful jobs, but we still manage to get our runs in. I think it is great the things that we can do, when we really want to. Everyone should be proud of the work that they put in day in and day out.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

We are not elites, but we are also not the norm. Who are we? Empty Re: We are not elites, but we are also not the norm. Who are we?

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I think that everyone wants to strive for excellence and be the best runner that they can be. I think that we all are working hard and in my mind we are all elites in our own way. Some of us have families and we still manage to get our runs in. Some of us have stressful jobs, but we still manage to get our runs in. I think it is great the things that we can do, when we really want to. Everyone should be proud of the work that they put in day in and day out.

If you think about the runners on this forum it really is quite amazing. I mean Daily Mile and other forums have great dedicated runners but it seems this place actually helps create them. Don't you think?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I think that everyone wants to strive for excellence and be the best runner that they can be. I think that we all are working hard and in my mind we are all elites in our own way. Some of us have families and we still manage to get our runs in. Some of us have stressful jobs, but we still manage to get our runs in. I think it is great the things that we can do, when we really want to. Everyone should be proud of the work that they put in day in and day out.

If you think about the runners on this forum it really is quite amazing. I mean Daily Mile and other forums have great dedicated runners but it seems this place actually helps create them. Don't you think?

Most definitely! I think that the comradery here matches no other site out there.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 pm

I'm just going to say I love this.
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:12 am

Very well said Nick! What a feel-good way to put it!
Kenny B. wrote:
I know I may be the only newbie on this forum, and I hope it's ok that I'm tagging along with you all, but I can feel it in my bones that one day I will be right up there with the rest of you, and it's having the opportunity to have you all as mentors that is very important to me. So thanks everyone!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 am

Stephanie O wrote:I know I may be the only newbie on this forum, and I hope it's ok that I'm tagging along with you all, but I can feel it in my bones that one day I will be right up there with the rest of you, and it's having the opportunity to have you all as mentors that is very important to me. So thanks everyone!

Stephanie of course it's great that you are here!!

I think Nick said it quite well. We are all doing our best to train the best that we can given our base, our families, work, weather, and whatever else. I may never qualify for Boston, but I want to cut a few minutes off my best marathon time and have a new PR.

I may have a somewhat warped view of what a normal runner is, too, since I run with a group of marathoners, many of whom are 50 staters, and they have normalized running 4-7 marathons a year in my mind.

I do think this site and Hal's site helps create good solid runners, too. When I joined Hal's site I was training for my first marathon and pretty new to distance running (I had run a half). It does help to have a group of people to ask questions to and even now as I'm learning how to really do speed work and other training questions.

I gotta run, but good topic.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  stanton Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:53 am

Stephanie O wrote:I know I may be the only newbie on this forum, and I hope it's ok that I'm tagging along with you all,

You're definitely not the only one. I (and probably others) just hide in the background.
stanton
stanton

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 am

Kenny B. wrote:I ain't an elite and I ain't a your regular runner, so who am I? I mean to say sub elite well isn't anyone less than elite sub elite by nature of the name.
The word that comes to mind for me is 'master', not master as in the age group, but you guys are runners in an experienced masterly way. king
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:41 am

Stephanie O wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:I ain't an elite and I ain't a your regular runner, so who am I? I mean to say sub elite well isn't anyone less than elite sub elite by nature of the name.
The word that comes to mind for me is 'master', not master as in the age group, but you guys are runners in an experienced masterly way. king

Hey I like that. Master Kenny Baldo. Call me Master! Wonder if my wife will call me that. scratch
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:23 am

Oh, this is not an Elite group? I am leaving for lets run. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 am

We are the cognoscenti.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 am

...Runners?

/thread.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:55 am

I considered myself a "wanna-be elite."
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Dave-O wrote:I considered myself a "wanna-be elite."

That makes me a wannabe runner!

I found the quote in my sign not to long ago, and I think it really applies to someone like me.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:...Runners?

Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm

I hear you there Dave! I can only dream that I was an Elite runner. Nothing wrong with having unrealistic dreams. HaHa

I just enjoy being the runner that I am and I thankful that I can run and I enjoy it as much as I do.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Now that I have moved to the NorthEast, my days as a Regional Age Group competitor are gone. When you have to run 1:18 to get 3rd place in a half marathon at age 45-49, that's tough. 10k's are 32-33 minutes. Yowsa!!

At least I bagged one 2nd place finish in the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon. As Springsteen's Glory Days is playing.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Hobby is cooler. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Stephanie O wrote:

Hey I like that. Master Kenny Baldo. Call me Master! Wonder if my wife will call me that. scratch
It's worth a try but I take no responsibility for the consequences. Razz
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks for the topic Kenny and thanks for the sentiment, Nick. I agree with everything you said.

Stephanie - I am a newbie as well and appreciate the opportunity to learn from everyone - you included! I also agree with Nick that I look up to everyone here - a lot. I don't know and probably can't pronounce the names of many of the elites - my elites are the Jims, Michaels, Gobbles, Schueys, Mikes, Kenny’s, Matts,
Randys, Marks, Toms, Seths, Julies, Micheles, Gregs, Nicks, Chris’, Natalies, Lisas, etc. of the world. I feel very lucky to have this group of folks to lean on.

I don't know if this is true, but being what the world calls an elite is probably determined in large part by genetics. Being what I consider elite is the heart that people put into what they are doing. Dave breaking 2:30 would be an incredible feat - not because it would impress any Kenyans, but because we all can see how hard he is working towards the goal. Same for a bunch of others here. I'm proud to be a part...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:35 pm

stanton wrote:You're definitely not the only one. I (and probably others) just hide in the background.
I'm glad to have some company! It's so great to have the opportunity to learn from all those people!

John Kilpatrick wrote:Stephanie - I am a newbie as well and appreciate the opportunity to learn from everyone - you included! I also agree with Nick that I look up to everyone here - a lot. I don't know and probably can't pronounce the names of many of the elites - my elites are the Jims, Michaels, Gobbles, Schueys, Mikes, Kenny’s, Matts,
Randys, Marks, Toms, Seths, Julies, Micheles, Gregs, Nicks, Chris’, Natalies, Lisas, etc. of the world. I feel very lucky to have this group of folks to lean on.
I didn't know you were a newbie too John. Nice! And I'm right with you with that list being my elites too!

Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:55 pm

We do feed on each other. You run your first marathon, everybody you know thinks you are crazy except for some online buddies who ask you when you are running another one.

It is like folie a deux times fifty.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

I don't consider myself the norm. I'm back of the pack, searching to get more people to finish behind me. Searching for a marathon where the band playing near the finish line is not packing up, when I shuffle by. The two similarities I have with the elites is that both of us never have any trouble finding a chair to sit on after the race and there's not a long, slow line of finishers waiting to get the post-marathon goodies.

Don't mistake the above for a search for pity. It is accurate, though. Which is why I am particularly sensitive to folks that are in my class and try to stick around a couple of minutes to offer congratulations and well wishes.

So, I'll keep trudging forward and pick up some tips I could try from y'all. Like my sig says, I'll be pleased with being a mediocre runner. It's intended as an attempt at dry humor, but there's a shitload of truth in it, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Thanks for the topic Kenny and thanks for the sentiment, Nick. I agree with everything you said.

Stephanie - I am a newbie as well and appreciate the opportunity to learn from everyone - you included! I also agree with Nick that I look up to everyone here - a lot. I don't know and probably can't pronounce the names of many of the elites - my elites are the Jims, Michaels, Gobbles, Schueys, Mikes, Kenny’s, Matts,

I don't know if this is true, but being what the world calls an elite is probably determined in large part by genetics. Being what I consider elite is the heart that people put into what they are doing. Dave breaking 2:30 would be an incredible feat - not because it would impress any Kenyans, but because we all can see how hard he is working towards the goal. Same for a bunch of others here. I'm proud to be a part...

I might not be a newbie runner or a newbie here, and I'm certainly not an "elite", but just being part of this group is special. Thanks.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next