365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make No Little Plans

+36
healdgator
Nick Morris
Sara Jane
Bob
wendy_miller
Gobbles
Alex Kubacki
Paula Sue
KBFitz
T Miller
Mrs. Schuey
JohnP
Julie
Dave P
GregC
Joel H
Mike MacLellan
Diego
mul21
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
KathyK
Matt W
tom
Natalie
Mark B
Kenny B.
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Schuey
Jerry
Chris M
40 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Make No Little Plans - Page 9 Empty Re: Make No Little Plans

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Make No Little Plans - Page 9 Leesburg20kelevation

Here's the elevation profile from Sunday's 20K pace run. I guess I see why my first 4 were slowish. I probably ran it right with a steady/not drifting upwards effort which resulted in the slow start and fast finish. Running by feel can actually work sometimes. Ok, I'm off to do run #2 of a double today.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Yep, that'll do it!

Smile
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Stop beating yourself up Chris - it was a well run race and to have the discipline to complete the full 20 - wow, hats off to that.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:07 am

6 x 1 mile tonight. My preference is to go to the track for this. I'll go to the HS I usually use and if that's not available because of an event, I'll try one other backup place. 3rd option would be to do it on the mill at home but for speed work like this, I really prefer the track over anything else. Goal is 6:10 pace. I need to remember to charge my iPod before I head out tonight...
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:22 am

Well executed race...but it isn't like you to be slower than goal pace out of the shoot, are you sure your watch is ok? This just isn't like you. I am starting to get worried. scratch
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:38 am

Given the HR data and elevation profile, I really think you executed the pace run to perfection. Just look at how in 2010, your HR spikes in the closing miles, whereas this year it didn't move.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Lovin' reading your training and racing here, Chris. Living it through your runs. Keep up the good stuff...and never, ever even LOOK at a NY cap! Bad karma there Evil or Very Mad
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Chris M wrote:6 x 1 mile tonight.

6 X 1 Mile? I would make a new rule that you don't do any workout in a training cycle until Dave does the same workout as part of his cycle. This is cruel and unusual.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:49 pm

GregC wrote:
Chris M wrote:6 x 1 mile tonight.

6 X 1 Mile? I would make a new rule that you don't do any workout in a training cycle until Dave does the same workout as part of his cycle. This is cruel and unusual.

He's not giving full disclosure on that.....it's a tempo workout. Dave's not being that mean. I'm doing the same thing next Monday.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 pm

He gave disclosure with the 6:10 pace requirement. Until I saw that, yeah, I wondered how the hell that was going to happen.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Paula Sue wrote:Lovin' reading your training and racing here, Chris. Living it through your runs. Keep up the good stuff...and never, ever even LOOK at a NY cap! Bad karma there Evil or Very Mad

That was a scary bet. The Sox were at home so I thought they could take 2 of 3 but the Yanks came into that series red hot and nearly took it. Martin VW was soooo close to having me have to run a race and get photographed in a Yankees hat. It took extra innings in the final game of the series for me to get off the hook on that and now he's the one who has to wear Red Sox gear in a race. Of course, the guy hardly ever races so I'm waiting and waiting and waiting until he finally pays up on the bet!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:He gave disclosure with the 6:10 pace requirement. Until I saw that, yeah, I wondered how the hell that was going to happen.

True that its not blasting away at max all out but still 6 x 1 mile at 6:10 has me, uh, wanting to stay at work a long time tonight and miss it due to scheduling problems. That's 10K pace so its not like I'm going to feel that I'm strolling along out there. Plus, you know Dave is just daring me to bring the last one in under 6:00. He didn't say that but I got that vibe just the same...
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:45 pm

GregC wrote:

Huh? I've done this workout many times. Come one, you know I use myself as a guinea pig.

Its a tempo workout, not a Vo2Max workout. The 6:10 pace is nothing for him, as he's done 3 x mile in 5:50 before. This is merely a transition before he gets back to 800 and 1200m track work.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Definitely wasn't trying to talk down the workout, Chris. Our 10k times are about the same (okay, I would like to go 6:10s, so I'll just say that's my 10k pace...) so I know that this one will still be a kick in the ass. But if we're thinking 5:25-5:30s for 6x1... Eep.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Something to make you smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be77gKd55q4
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:15 pm

jimd wrote:Something to make you smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be77gKd55q4

Pure marketing genius.....

How was the 6x1?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 am

6x1 workout went fine. I went to the HS track last night and oddly it was deserted. No activity there and they had the lights fully off which made it tough as it went to full dark during the workout. There was one small street light so I started all my repeats from there and could see my watch at that spot each 400. The rest of the time was running blind and when it got REALLY dark, it was weird heading down to the other end of the track where you could barely even see the ground. It was 90 degrees when I started it which wasn't ideal but cooled off some once the sun was fully down. Didn't bother me once I got going.

6:10 goal
1. 6:04 (I was still getting a feel for the pace - I was at like 2:55 through 800...oops)
2. 6:09
3. 6:11
4. 6:09
5. 6:10
6. 5:52 - ok, that one hurt a great deal. I was dying at the end and slowing down badly. I don't have the actual 400 splits recorded but that one was something like 1:25/1:25/1:27/1:35. I was out of gas at the end.

Butminus the tough finish, I eased through this workout OK. Very in control. "Tempo" feels about right for it as a description of the workout. I was comfortable but running decently hard. But smooth and controlled like a good tempo. Oh and I definitely skimped big time on the c/d mileage. No excuse other than just laziness. Dave won't like that. Cool down is important too. I need the mileage.

For all the repeats, I fell into a steady groove. On one of them (maybe #3 or #4) I blanked out so badly that as I came around what was the final lap, I simply could not remember whether I was finishing a lap to make it 1200 or 1600. I decided I was stopping either way but that if it was only 1200, I would have to do an additional 1600 at the end. That would have sucked. But once I got under the street light, I was relieved to see that I had done 4 laps. Still, shows you how tuned out I was and just kind of rolling along carelessly.

Tunes of the night for me were "Get Away" by Yuck and "Never Listen To Me" by The Thermals

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>[size=12]
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 am

Don't know if I'm more impressed by the running in the dark, the last mile, or the fact that you could get pumped up enough to do this workout with those 2 songs Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am

Nicely done! Good to know what I have in store for me next Monday. I think I'll refrain from blasting the last one though since I'll be shooting for an all time weekly mileage high next week. And you need to find a track with lights! You'll kill yourself!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:00 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Don't know if I'm more impressed by the running in the dark, the last mile, or the fact that you could get pumped up enough to do this workout with those 2 songs Wink

This was more of a rolling along tempo-style workout, not rip your face off true speed work. AFI, Rise Against, Alkaline Trio and others become the songs of the day for the 400s and really fast stuff.

The track WAS really dark! Spooky even. I guess no moon was out last night? It had been so long since I hit the track that they had completely resurfaced it since the last time I was there. Really nice rubberized red surface. My property tax dollars hard at work, I guess.

By the way, Alex posted about doing the Falmouth Road Race over in the race reports section. I had forgotten but I did actually run that race while in college. I always refer to the Parks Half Marathon in 2008 as my first race but on a whim and lark, my buddies and I did run that while living on the Cape one Summer. Unfortunately, it looks like results only go back to 1996 so I can't find out how I did. I remember it being an awful experience for me in that soccer did NOT have me anywhere near ready to run 7.1 straight miles hard. I would guess that my time was very bad. Although i did do 5 miles on a track in 30:30 back then - we had to run a 5 mile test every August for soccer tryouts. You couldn't practice unless you got under 35 mins. Anyone who missed had to run it again the next day so I ALWAYS made sure I got it. My senior year (getting fatter and slower), I think my time was 34:59! So maybe I was faster than I thought way back in the day.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:13 am

What was the rest between each repeat mile? Inquiring minds want to know...
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:21 am

GregC wrote:What was the rest between each repeat mile? Inquiring minds want to know...

Jogged 400. Ranged from 1:45 (too fired up to jog, I guess) to one that was, uh, longer (bathroom break). The others were all between 2:00 and 2:30.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:30 am

Nice repeats, Chris!

When I return to Atlanta, I always end up doing my mile repeats in the dark of the local high school track. There is also a street light at one end and a light by the school building, so it isn't too bad. As you said, once you get going you forget about the darkness and focus on the running which is kind of neat IMHO. I actually forget about how much it hurts when its dark. The only spooky thing is when you get passed by a fast runner who seems to have come out of nowhere (which is why I don't use my iPod). I used to love when the local BootCamp used the field as they had "lights" and music.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 am

Nice 6X1 Chris!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Great workout in the dark. I like both of those of those songs a lot. Identical tempos...perfect for a speed session. Were those really the only two songs you listened to?
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next