365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long a run before you consider hydrating?

+12
Mike MacLellan
Kenny B.
healdgator
Chris M
Diego
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
mul21
Dave-O
Admin
Jack_Scaff
16 posters

Go down

How long a run before you consider hydrating? Empty How long a run before you consider hydrating?

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 pm

I used to drink on runs more than I do now...when I go for my mid week runs (longest these days is 8 miles,either side of 1 hr 10 mins) I no longer worry about bringing a bottle. Weather is not an issue as I get out before 6 AM and there is never a heat issue.

My weekend long runs I always drink.

Can not drinking on non-long runs cause issues?
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

How long a run before you consider hydrating? Empty Re: How long a run before you consider hydrating?

Post  Admin Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Jack_Scaff wrote:

I have heard of rare cases where not drinking on non-long runs can cause thirst. This condition is usually cured by hydrating post-run. Be safe out there. The thirst you quench could be your own!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

How long a run before you consider hydrating? Empty Re: How long a run before you consider hydrating?

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Not to belittle the question, but....I drink when I'm thirsty.

I rarely drink anything on 10-12 mile runs, and never on anything shorter. I don't see what issue it would cause.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:32 pm

12-14 is about the max I'll go without hydrating/fueling (1.5 2 hours) and that's only in really ideal weather conditions. Summer running, pretty much anything over an hour and I'm making sure I've got something to drink.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I normally hydrate on runs over the 10 mile mark. If the weather is not ideal, I will hydrate on shorter runs.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
Jack_Scaff wrote:

I have heard of rare cases where not drinking on non-long runs can cause thirst. This condition is usually cured by hydrating post-run. Be safe out there. The thirst you quench could be your own!

Alas, I finish at 7 AM and it is too early for beer, at least in the office.

Dave-O wrote:Not to belittle the question, but....I drink when I'm thirsty.

I rarely drink anything on 10-12 mile runs, and never on anything shorter. I don't see what issue it would cause.

That is what I am looking to hear. Except the implication that you run 12 miles faster than I run 8.

mul21 wrote:12-14 is about the max I'll go without hydrating/fueling (1.5 2 hours) and that's only in really ideal weather conditions. Summer running, pretty much anything over an hour and I'm making sure I've got something to drink.

Sort of my plan - just used to bring a bottle on AM 8-10 mile runs, and for whatever reason I stopped. Call it lazy.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Also, I think pre-run hydration is more important. If you're fully hydrated (beer doesnt count) you should be fine for 60-90 minutes. Unless its the middle of summer. Then all bets are off.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Jack_Scaff wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:
Jack_Scaff wrote:

If that's true, why did God make Oatmeal Stout?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 pm

I only carry water for my daily 1-1.5 hr runs in the heat of the summer. I make sure I'm hydrated before I start and when I finish. In the cooler weather, I often go 10-12 miles between drinks, but I probably should try to grab a drink every hour or so. Since I often run a loop course, I can just stash it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
Jack_Scaff wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:
Jack_Scaff wrote:

For the best meal ever.........brunch!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:52 pm

totally depends on the weather for me. In the winter I don't worry about drinking or bringing water unless it's 12-14 miles or so, in the summer if it's hot enough I'll barely go 4 miles without my water.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:53 pm

It all depends on the temp. When the dewpoint is above 75, then even a 1 hour run can cause problems without water.

Under 50 degrees in the fall, no fluid regardless of distance up to 3 hours. Run light, run fast. But that's just me.

I like the oatmeal stout idea. But where do I put my craisins? Back on the shelf?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Diego wrote:

I like the oatmeal stout idea. But where do I put my craisins? Back on the shelf?

That seems like the perfect thing to soak in vodka for a light snack/buzz as needed!

And why does every thread Jack starts end up talking about food, drinking or sex? lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:01 pm

mul21 wrote:
Diego wrote:

That seems like the perfect thing to soak in vodka for a light snack/buzz as needed!

And why does every thread Jack starts end up talking about food, drinking or sex? lol!

Niiice! I have only soaked watermelons in vodka to take to the games in the past. How long a run before you consider hydrating? 1193849567
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:02 pm

I never carry water and instead only rely on fountains or stores. For anything under 10, I don't have any to drink along the way unless there is a water fountain I pass and it is hot out (80+). For the long runs, I know my routes and know where my water or store stops will be beforehand. I'm fine up to 12 or so miles without water but then definitely need something or I'm going to have big problems.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I brought G2 on my 9 miler this weekend. First time I ever considered hydration during a run of less than 13 miles or so. It was about 80-85 muggy degrees though. Cooler weather and I wouldn't have bothered.

I'd say the worst case scenario of bring a water bottle is having to carry the water bottle. Big deal. The worst case scenario of NOT bringing anything is dehydration. So, if in doubt, bring the bottle (or a couple of bucks), imo.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Dave-O wrote: (beer doesnt count)

You take that back!

Mr MattM wrote:

I said "at work" How long a run before you consider hydrating? Smileyquoteunquote
mul21 wrote:And why does every thread Jack starts end up talking about food, drinking or sex? lol!

Because I have my priorities right. How long a run before you consider hydrating? Givemebeer

Wait a minute...this was about water at first!
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Winter usually 10,12 or more something like that
Summer over 6

Got to do what works for you.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 pm

1.5hr is about the max I'll go without water - in summer. I've gone 2.5-3hr in winter with no water... Winter being 55-60 degrees.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Truthfully, I have never, ever, ever...taken water with me on a run. Never really felt the need. The weekly 13-14-15 milers just seem like normal runs so water is never a consideration. Even on my very longest runs of 17-18 miles I've never really worried about it. I do drink a lot of water during the day and seem to be perpetually hydrated. And before some hot weather runs I'll chug a bottle just before heading out the door. However, If it's a hot day and I'm passing thru the park, I'll stop and get a drink. Mostly just to take a break and it's a good excuse to stop...
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:22 am

I am opposite of many - I take a bottle(s) with me on virtually every run from 3 - 23 miles.
I run 3 minutes - walk 30 seconds or so on most runs - ala Galloway.
When I take a fast walking break, I usually take a sip - it is not much of a drink.
I have never overhydrated.

It works for me, but maybe it is because I am one of the older ones here. Very Happy

Last edited by charles.moman on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 am

Each person is different...I go more by time than miles. If it's going to be 1-1.5 hours, I don't worry so much, but anything over that I'd like a few ounces every 2 miles. I'm slower than you guys, so the mileage numbers you cover would have me hours on end out there without water. Smile To keep with the miles, I'm comfortable with 8 miles, then start drinking, all weather dependent.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 am

I guess I'm quite the opposite too. If it is over 5 miles in the summer time I will take a bottle. In the winter time I will take a bottle if the run is over 10. I guess it depends on what type of run it is but I'll frequently drop the bottle and pick it back up on the way back in an out and back. I dislike carrying water just like the rest of you and when possible I will stash water along the route to avoid having to carry it. I've had runs where I've taken in more than a gallon of water.

Isn't it hard or your kidneys to constantly dehydrate yourself?
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down