365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice training for 3 in 3 days

+8
Mike MacLellan
Dave-O
Admin
KBFitz
Jerry
Jim Lentz
charles
Max M
12 posters

Go down

Advice training for 3 in 3 days Empty Advice training for 3 in 3 days

Post  Max M Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:49 pm

I've been a real slacker lately and ran only 2 marathons so far this year. I am seriously considering the Lake Tahoe Triple in September (3 marathons in 3 days).
Any advice here? Matt M may be (you did 6 in 9 I think)? I know I will probably ramp up the mileage from 20 or so to the 90's/week. And I feel like I will need to have 2 consecutive days of long runs...Would that be enough to get ready? I have about 14 weeks...
Max
Max M
Max M

https://picasaweb.google.com/maxmmb/

Back to top Go down

Advice training for 3 in 3 days Empty Re: Advice training for 3 in 3 days

Post  charles Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:35 pm

ummmm . . . start slow and ease up?
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:28 pm

I think an ultra plan would work well in preparing you for the Tahoe Triple. It's a race I have on my to do list.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:12 pm

You run the first one and take a nap while Jerry does the 2nd, then are on your own for the 3rd. bounce
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Hey ... it's MaxieMAX, miniMAX, or just simply Max! Welcome back, my friend.

You're right on the back-to-back long runs as key in training for an ultra distance event.

Check out Hal's Comrades Training Schedule and the 50 mile minimum training schedule used by UltraLadies Running Club, both aimed at ~50 mile events. Those should give you some idea of the pattern. If I know anything about you though, it's that you'll pump up the volume. And that's OK. Just be gradual about it. Fourteen weeks, Max? Yikes. Shocked
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks guys.
Charles & Jerry: I forgot to say that my goal is to not run too slow...If I can run in the 3:30 average I will be happy.
Jim & Kevin: I will look into the ultras training program. Am just thinking that 3x26.2 is probably easier than 1x50 miles because you rest a day in between. Not sure, I have only run 1 50K in my life and it wasn't pretty.

For Goofy I used Hal's advanced weekend program of 10 miles pace Sat and 20 miles Sunday. That was pretty good. Now for 3 in 3 my guess was may be longer and slower consecutive long runs will do it. I'll take a look into your refs Kevin, thanks. Gradual...Don't have time for that. I am planning on more trail runs...Dirt roads are less risky for fat cats like me. It's nice to be back!
Max M
Max M

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Max M wrote:Thanks guys.
Charles & Jerry: I forgot to say that my goal is to not run too slow...If I can run in the 3:30 average I will be happy.
Jim & Kevin: I will look into the ultras training program. Am just thinking that 3x26.2 is probably easier than 1x50 miles because you rest a day in between. Not sure, I have only run 1 50K in my life and it wasn't pretty.

For Goofy I used Hal's advanced weekend program of 10 miles pace Sat and 20 miles Sunday. That was pretty good. Now for 3 in 3 my guess was may be longer and slower consecutive long runs will do it. I'll take a look into your refs Kevin, thanks. Gradual...Don't have time for that. I am planning on more trail runs...Dirt roads are less risky for fat cats like me. It's nice to be back!

Max, are you implying I can't handle a 3:30?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Jerry wrote:
Max M wrote:Thanks guys.

Max, are you implying I can't handle a 3:30?
Oh No Jerry! I know how fast you are. Just saying that I am not planning on taking a nap or running slow . Now if only I could lose some weight, I think I could challenge you ... Smile
Max M
Max M

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Max M wrote:I've been a real slacker lately and ran only 2 marathons so far this year. I am seriously considering the Lake Tahoe Triple in September (3 marathons in 3 days).
Any advice here? Matt M may be (you did 6 in 9 I think)? I know I will probably ramp up the mileage from 20 or so to the 90's/week. And I feel like I will need to have 2 consecutive days of long runs...Would that be enough to get ready? I have about 14 weeks...
Max

You know the deal, Max. Log the miles. Consecutive high mileage days helps quite a bit. Of course, when it's time to put yourself to the test... you just do it. It's half mental, and the other 80% physical.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Would a long run-pace run-long run 3 day combo be too tough training? I've never done such a thing, so take it with a grain of salt. But if you could knock out 20-10-20, with the 10 being a little quicker, that's a damn good trio.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Max the only serious thought I might add is this . . . a friend of mine, Nick Lewis ran the Leadville 100 in '09 and finished second. He said he did a shit ton of 20-30-20 mile runs on Fri, Sat, Sun. I don't remember what he said he did the rest of the week - but he did say those blocks of high mileage is what allowed him to perform so well.
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:19 am

Mr MattM wrote:
You know the deal, Max. Log the miles. Consecutive high mileage days helps quite a bit. Of course, when it's time to put yourself to the test... you just do it. It's half mental, and the other 80% physical.
Consecutive long runs it will be...The advantage compared to what you did is that there is no travel in between...one location for 3!
Max M
Max M

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 am

Dave-O wrote:Would a long run-pace run-long run 3 day combo be too tough training? I've never done such a thing, so take it with a grain of salt. But if you could knock out 20-10-20, with the 10 being a little quicker, that's a damn good trio.
That is tough Dave, but I like it! Well, I hope I can come back in shape to do 2 of these the last 4 weeks before the races...
Max M
Max M

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 am

charles wrote:Max the only serious thought I might add is this . . . a friend of mine, Nick Lewis ran the Leadville 100 in '09 and finished second. He said he did a shit ton of 20-30-20 mile runs on Fri, Sat, Sun. I don't remember what he said he did the rest of the week - but he did say those blocks of high mileage is what allowed him to perform so well.
Thanks Charles... Long runs it will be. I respect 20 milers, some of them were tougher than full marathons.
Max M
Max M

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 pm

20-30-20... Shocked
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:20-30-20... Shocked
ikr? Well, with your trails ultra to come you better start considering this too...
Max M
Max M

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Max M wrote:
ikr? Well, with your trails ultra to come you better start considering this too...
I was just going to be ecstatic about peaking with 2 20-30s (well, 4hr Sat/5hr Sun, but same idea). I'll save the third day for the 100 training.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:56 pm

charles wrote:20-30-20 mile runs on Fri, Sat, Sun.

Holy crap...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Max M wrote:
ikr? Well, with your trails ultra to come you better start considering doing this too...

misery loves company.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Reina Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Max,

Not sure what the altitude in Santa Fe is, but remember Tahoe is at pretty high elevation!

--Reina
Reina
Reina
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 pm

I don't have anything to add but there is some interesting information posted that I might think about adding into my own marathon training.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Max M Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Reina wrote:Max,

Not sure what the altitude in Santa Fe is, but remember Tahoe is at pretty high elevation!

--Reina

Hi Reina...Santa Fe is ~ 7,000 ft. I believe just slightly higher elevation than Tahoe Smile

Schuey wrote:I don't have anything to add but there is some interesting information posted that I might think about adding into my own marathon training.

Martin, you'd run 3 consecutive long runs preparing for Chicago? I hope it would make your speedwork more difficult.
Max M
Max M

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Max M wrote:
Schuey wrote:I don't have anything to add but there is some interesting information posted that I might think about adding into my own marathon training.

Martin, you'd run 3 consecutive long runs preparing for Chicago? I hope it would make your speedwork more difficult.

Sure I would because I'm crazy like that. I don't know if you remember reading during my training for Boston 2010 the first year I went sub 3, there was a weekend were I did a 20 miler on Saturday and then did a 25 miler on Sunday both runs were done on the treadmill. So it would not be far fetch for me to do 3 days in a row. Also have to remember I don't do very much speedwork in my marathon training yet. I would add that I am doing more tempo runs and also tossing around Dave's idea of the longer slower tempo run. I like stealing things from him because I have to find some way to catch up with him. lol!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down