365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monumental Indianapolis Marathon and State #26

+17
Alex Kubacki
Julie
nkrichards
Penelope
Nick Morris
Dave-O
T Miller
carleenp
fostever
dot520
ounce
Mark B
Gobbles
mountandog
Jerry
Michael Enright
Michele "1L" Keane
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Monumental Indianapolis Marathon and State #26 Empty Monumental Indianapolis Marathon and State #26

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 am

As many of you remember, 2012 was actually a tough running year for me (after Boston which was screwed due to the heat) with injury, surgery and weather, and then 2013 didn't start much better with the incident at Boston.  So in actuality, "racing" the Monumental Indianapolis Marathon was a bit of a redemption for me as well.  I picked Indy as the timing was right - early November - it was close enough to drive to, and Indiana was the only Midwest state where I had not yet run a marathon.  Training went well after coming off a lower mileage summer and some paced and fun races, and I knew that I was almost back to where I was in November, 2011 when I raced my last marathon in NYC.  I also knew though that I wasn't quite back to the 3:45 range, so I re-assessed my goals in mid-October and decided that if I could run a 3:50 then I should be guaranteed a Boston Qualifier for 2015 (I am already in for 2014).

In early September, my former Atlanta training partner, Joe, also decided to run the race.  He is also determined to run the 50 states and he decided that I might be the best "pacer" for him.  Even after 60+ marathons, Joe has a tendency to go out too fast.  We laugh about it all the time, but that is how it goes.  Over the last couple of years, I have changed my training strategies and I have really evaluated my strengths and weaknesses.  I know that I am a good "middle long distance" runner and racer i.e. 10 milers and half marathons, and I know that my marathon training had to be slowed down for the long runs (the strength will come back slowly).  I also know that my weekly mileage levels were not quite what they needed to be to sustain that 3:45, so 3:50-3:55 became my goal.

Fast forward to Saturday morning.  We could not have asked for better weather well, except for the wind in the last 1.5 miles and the rain that they had been predicted never materialized.  Our hotel was a hop, skip, and jump from the start, and we were able to basically stay in the hotel and use the facilities until 20 min before the race.  In spite of the colder temps (43F), I knew that I wanted to wear a singlet, arm sleeves, and gloves, and I wore a throw away tyvek jacket for the first couple of miles.  Joe and I started conservatively behind the 4 hour pacer as my goal was to not go out ridiculously fast and to work my way through the first few miles.  I was conservative, made sure to drink (even though it was cold), and tried not to expend too much energy by weaving through the half marathoners.  Joe and I passed Wendy and Joanne around mile 3 and that was fun, and then we settled in and slowly picked up the pace.  We caught the 4 hr pacer around mile 6 and were surprised at how fast he must have gone out.

Unlike most marathons, I must have found the right pace, and I must have picked the right mile time (finally) as I never really faulted.  I kept anticipating the small hills that were to come around mile 17-20 and they were not bad at all.  I had time to look at the beautiful real estate, curse the rugged road near the Art Museum, and enjoy the "Hoosier" history signs during mile 20.  During mile 18 on a long incline, I lost Joe.  We were chatting with a guy who was telling us about the downhill at 19 and the "uphill" bridge to be careful of around mile 23 and I lost him when he stopped to walk at a water stop.  I slowed and couldn't see him, so I just went on.  At no time during this section of the race where my mind usually starts to talk me out of things, did I ever feel like I needed to walk or even slow down (except simply by fatigue).  I never really changed my effort and I actually kept trying to "surge" at points to shake the legs out.  The last two miles were slower, but a lot of that was due to simple fatigue and the wind that really showed up at that point.  There was a final turn just after mile 25, and I so wished I had a huge guy in front of me to block that head wind which felt like it pushed me backwards.  But I fought through it and stayed ahead of all the runners around me except for one.  I gave it everything I had left in that final two miles and when I crossed the line, I was done.  I finally saw that 3:50 pacer in front of me around this time, but I just couldn't catch him.  Final time: 3:50:50 - a BQ by 9:10 min.

Splits for the race were as follows:

Mile 1 - 9:02
Mile 2 - 8:47
Mile 3 - 10:14 (pit stop)
Mile 4 - 8:51
Mile 5 - 8:52
Mile 6 - 8:43
Mile 7 - 8:33
Mile 8 - 8:45
Mile 9 - 8:36
Mile 10 - 8:51
Mile 11 - 8:43
Mile 12 - 8:45
Mile 13 - 8:33
Half Marathon Split - 1:56:50
Mile 14 - 8:45
Mile 15 - 8:34
Mile 16 - 8:41
Mile 17 - 8:37
Mile 18 - 8:38
Mile 19 - 8:24
Mile 20 - 8:28
Mile 21 - 8:43
Mile 22 - 8:42
Mile 23 - 8:36
Mile 24 - 8:53 (oops, but I think this is where we turned and went up over a bridge?)
Mile 25 - 8:46
Mile 26 - 8:45
Mile 26.2 - 3:50:50  2nd half marathon split: 1:54:00

After the race, I immediately got cold and my diaphragm and lower back seemed to seize.  I knew I needed to get dry clothes and I just wanted to sit down.  I went to the gear check to get those dry clothes and sat in the sun to wait for Joe as that was our plan.  He finished in 4:01 which was a 9 min BQ for him too (he is 67).  He was ecstatic!  Both of us accomplished our goals.  He was disappointed as he walked a bit in the 18th and 19th miles, but I realized at that point that although I had slowed at some of the water stops, I never actually walked until I crossed that finish line.  That in itself was a fine end to a well run race.

Thanks to all of you for your faith in me, and if I don't see you at JFK, I will see you in Boston.  2014 and 2015 - Here we come!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Monumental Indianapolis Marathon and State #26 Empty Re: Monumental Indianapolis Marathon and State #26

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 am

Two things that I forgot to add from the race: Collen DeReuck won for the women, but more importantly at 49, she ran a qualifier (again) for the Olympic Trials.  When they come around in 2016, she will be the oldest woman entered (Joanie was older when she qualified for 2012, but she did not run).  And Alana Hadley, the 16 yr old from Charlotte, also ran a Trials qualifier with a 2:41.  She is the youngest qualifier ever.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Monumental Indianapolis Marathon and State #26 Empty Re: Monumental Indianapolis Marathon and State #26

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am

Great race report and congrats on such a well-run effort, Michele!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am

Nice. Apparently Michele plans to run every Boston onwards ...Money
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:58 pm

nice run Michele.  See you in Boonesboro.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Congratulations Michele! queen
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:48 pm

What a way to come back to racing! Everything came together for you on race day. Nice work!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Great race, M!  Hope you win the 2015 Houston lottery and maybe 2016, if we get the Trials again.

Great splits, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm so happy for you.  Everything was aligned perfectly and you were able to take advantage of it! Huge Congratulations!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Very consistent splits, Michelle. Congrats on another successful race!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Looks like you ran that perfectly! Congrats!!!! cheers
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 am

Well done Michele, it sounds like you executed perfectly on the pacing.  It seems that you've honed this Marathon thing into a science and you're reaping the rewards.  It was great to see you after the race and I'm looking forward to getting together with you and the gang at JFK.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Very nice race execution!  And man, that negative split sure looks pretty. Very Happy
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

What a great race Michele!!!  You stuck to your plan and never looked back.  I think you are well on your way to getting back to the 3:45 range.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Congrats, Michele!! Really nice job!! Espeically on the negative splits!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Well done Michele.  I would die for splits like that!  I'm just happy that I'm not fading quite as badly...

Great job and I look forward to following your race in Boston in April!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Very well-executed race, Michele!
 Congratulations!

You'll have to come to NE to see me since I'm too slow for Boston but I wish you all a great time there next April, and the following yr!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 am

Must have felt nice to race the marathon again.  Another great race back from the injury.  Congrats.

That 16-yo decided to accept the $400 prize money.  She is now ineligible to compete in high school or college sports. A very curious decision to accept that.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Must have felt nice to race the marathon again.  Another great race back from the injury.  Congrats.

That 16-yo decided to accept the $400 prize money.  She is now ineligible to compete in high school or college sports. A very curious decision to accept that.
I thought so too Alex - I wonder why??
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:04 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Must have felt nice to race the marathon again.  Another great race back from the injury.  Congrats.

I thought so too Alex - I wonder why??
Huh, that doesn't make much sense.  Unless she is planning on turning pro now.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Michele,

Great report and an even better race.  Fantastic splits…
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:07 pm

She has turned pro and said she wants to focus soley on the marathon.  The thing is she's 16 and why on earth would you eliminate all options at that age.  Plus is the body really fully developed enough at 16 to handle full time marathon training all the time now.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:She has turned pro and said she wants to focus soley on the marathon.  The thing is she's 16 and why on earth would you eliminate all options at that age.  Plus is the body really fully developed enough at 16 to handle full time marathon training all the time now.
Do you think that her parents are influencing her?  I think they are seeing dollar signs.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:She has turned pro and said she wants to focus soley on the marathon.  The thing is she's 16 and why on earth would you eliminate all options at that age.  Plus is the body really fully developed enough at 16 to handle full time marathon training all the time now.
Do you think that her parents are influencing her?  I think they are seeing dollar signs.
I firmly believe the parents were heavily involved in that decision.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Great race Michele! I was there but not running my daughter and her friends ran they all did great it was bittersweet crewing and not running,but thats life. Maybe some race we will meet that wind at the end was awful!
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next