365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year

+2
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
6 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 3 Empty Re: 2017 Another Tri-ing Year

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:48 pm

So happy that things went better for you this year at Boston then last year, but thrilled by just how much better it was. Woot!

To pull a negative split on that course is kinda mind-boggling, especially in those conditions. Whatever you did differently training for this race, keep it up, because it worked.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:36 pm

It was an impressive race Michele.  I'm glad that you recognize that and are spending a bit of time on cloud nine.  We often fail to recognize our own accomplishments but I think this one is pretty hard to deny!

One of my first thoughts after seeing your results was that it was a race that Coach Bob would be proud of!

Congratulations.  Rest up, recover well and then get on with that triathlon training!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am

I keep forgetting to ask if Joe ran Boston this year.  Katie stopped by last night and she mentioned how much she enjoyed visiting with Joe at the pre-race dinner.  She is hoping that if/when I go back we can catch up with Joe again.  She also mentioned that she was looking forward to getting the toasted cheese sandwiches she had just ordered for us but had to abandon when the hospital called.  I hope she intends to order fresh sandwiches!

Say 'hi' to Joe from both of us.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Joe did not run this year as age caught up to him. He turned 70 and over did it just a bit trying to run Pike's Peak, run 5Ks with his grandson and then qualify again.  I'm trying to get him back on track so that he can re-qualify this late spring or summer, but it has been tough to reign him in.  I love running with Joe, but I don;t want him to always say "I'll be there" when someone in our group posts a request for company on a run.  Our friend, Jody, qualified for Boston next year and I know that Joe so wants to be there when she runs, and I just hope he can do it again.  It is hard watching a dear friend age regarding running time drop off - especially when you know it is coming.......
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:19 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Joe did not run this year as age caught up to him. He turned 70 and over did it just a bit trying to run Pike's Peak, run 5Ks with his grandson and then qualify again.  I'm trying to get him back on track so that he can re-qualify this late spring or summer, but it has been tough to reign him in.  I love running with Joe, but I don;t want him to always say "I'll be there" when someone in our group posts a request for company on a run.  Our friend, Jody, qualified for Boston next year and I know that Joe so wants to be there when she runs, and I just hope he can do it again.  It is hard watching a dear friend age regarding running time drop off - especially when you know it is coming.......

I also hope Joe makes it back to Boston but more importantly I hope he stays healthy and makes good running decisions.  It's hard enough to admit that you need an extra rest day at any stage in life but as we get older we need them more often even when it doesn't seem like we're pushing that hard.  My drop in running times was a bit more abrupt rather than just a gradual aging process but it's still hard to accept that what was an easy pace is now a challenging run.  Wishing him well...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Boston picture:  2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 3 002310

Boston Splits - which are still hard for me to believe.  As you will notice, I did not bolt out of there, but I settled in and I did no bobbing and weaving in that first mile - just warmed up and took my time.  

[th]Mile[/th][th]Pace[/th][th]GAP[/th][th]Elev[/th][th]HR[/th][th]Cadence[/th]
19:30 /mi10:09 /mi-109 ft124 bpm172 spm
28:30 /mi8:48 /mi-52 ft131 bpm176 spm
38:43 /mi9:02 /mi-56 ft133 bpm174 spm
48:37 /mi9:02 /mi-66 ft134 bpm176 spm
58:39 /mi8:31 /mi17 ft140 bpm176 spm
68:34 /mi8:40 /mi-19 ft140 bpm174 spm
78:33 /mi8:38 /mi-12 ft141 bpm176 spm
88:42 /mi8:39 /mift142 bpm174 spm
98:37 /mi8:40 /mi-11 ft142 bpm176 spm
108:28 /mi8:21 /mi14 ft143 bpm176 spm
118:43 /mi8:33 /mi26 ft143 bpm176 spm
128:26 /mi8:44 /mi-52 ft141 bpm176 spm
138:30 /mi8:30 /mi-3 ft144 bpm178 spm
148:32 /mi8:33 /mi-4 ft145 bpm176 spm
158:41 /mi8:27 /mi26 ft150 bpm176 spm
168:19 /mi8:59 /mi-114 ft149 bpm178 spm
178:37 /mi8:10 /mi68 ft154 bpm176 spm
188:47 /mi8:29 /mi38 ft153 bpm178 spm
198:16 /mi8:29 /mi-36 ft153 bpm180 spm
208:30 /mi8:16 /mi26 ft156 bpm180 spm
218:55 /mi8:16 /mi94 ft157 bpm178 spm
228:16 /mi8:46 /mi-83 ft152 bpm180 spm
238:37 /mi8:54 /mi-46 ft154 bpm178 spm
248:44 /mi9:02 /mi-51 ft154 bpm178 spm
258:41 /mi8:55 /mi-38 ft154 bpm180 spm
268:49 /mi8:49 /mi-1 ft155 bpm178 spm
0.38:59 /mi8:57 /mift156 bpm178 spm

Can you tell where the downhills were?  Can you also tell that I "stopped" in the last few yards?  The last couple of years I have slowed and said a little prayer as I approach the spot where I was in 2013.  It makes me think and remember.  This year I also thanked Bob for being there as well.  Funny, that I have really not had a real bad race at Boston since 2013  = this one was the best, but the last couple while not ideal, were not a disaster either.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Yeah, I remember following your race and you settled into the groove at 10K or so, set the cruise and that was it.

I also won't forget that you were the last one in 2013 to be confirmed safe, too.

In fact, on that thread http://www.365runners.com/t2181p50-boston-marathon-discussion-thread?highlight=boston
Michael Mitchell was the first to report the explosions on page 3 at 3:14 pm ET and you weren't reported safe in the thread until the bottom of page 6 at 4:41 ET by Dave Wolfe, followed a minute later by your son, Mike.

2015 was a similar year to this Boston as far as cruise control, if I remember correctly.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Those splits make what was already an impressive race look even more impressive.  You know the course so well and were so prepared.  I'm glad that you were able to run the race that you deserved and that you're proud of it.  I'm sure that I can't even begin to understand the emotional significance that this race has for you.

Once again...congratulations...and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that you so justly deserve.

And thanks for sharing your splits...it's a great example of how to pace a marathon well...hopefully I can learn from it.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Michele,

I SO wish we could have met up in your home town.  What an impressive run!  Those splits are amazing... I thought I did a good job at CIM when I got my BQ but you just nailed it... way to go.

Glad to hear your day went so well.  That course is tough - I came in knowing I was severely undertrained but the course kicked my butt.  I can see how it would take running it a few times to figure it out.  You obviously know it well and it paid off this year.  Great job!

Recover well...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon May 08, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm sure some of you saw on FB that I ran the RnR Nashville half marathon last weekend (last weekend in April).  It was another warm run with temperatures in the 70s at the start and humidity too (Boston didn't have that at least).  I decided to just go with the flow and I ran a pretty steady slightly sub-8 pace until the wheels fell off around 11 miles.  I was kind of surprised that the miles were as fast as they were as my HR was ok and really the wheels fell off because frankly, I was tired as in not really recovered from Boston.  I knew that would happen  which again is why I was surprised how "fast" the early miles really were.  Nashville is also one hilly city which I knew it to be.  Ended up running 1:47:09 and won my AG by 10 min.  Didn't expect that either.

After the race, I helped my daughter pack up a lot of her apartment and I took a bunch of stuff with me back to Atlanta.  She is leaving Nashville as she really didn't like it and her roommates are leaving too.  Her school situation wasn't good and she got a new position in a Math Dept at a high school in Roswell, GA - a suburb of Atlanta right near where my condo is and where she grew up.  I think it will be much easier for her as the school is much higher ranking i.e. not failing and the student demographics are pretty much what she grew up in/with.  I hope she can get settled in too, find friends, a special someone, etc. Lifting those boxes in/out of my car had me dreading the ride to Cleveland with a real tight lower back.

As for me, I have a lot going on in my personal life which is kind of why I have been a bit distant. I drove back to Cleveland last Wednesday to pretty much pick up/pack up the rest of my stuff as well as get ready for my epic bike ride.  I will be riding with 4 other women from Cleveland on the Great Allegheny Passage and then the C&O going from Pittsburgh to DC.  This should prove to be a lot of fun and we get to see (stay with) Kevin (KBFitz) in DC and hopefully catch up with Mike as well.  Not only will this be fun but it will be a great diversion for me as well.  It is tough being back in Cleveland because some of you may have guessed, my husband pretty much stayed here and did not come to Atlanta.  Basically he has decided that he isn't "happy" with things and we have decided to stay "married" on paper for now but live a apart.  Maybe he can figure out what will give him fulfillment in life, but all he has right now is his work and nothing else.  shoot I even have you guys - and I haven't even met some of you.  But case in point, we are going to crash on Kevin's floor in 3 weekends.  I guess it is tough when all you have is work.  I'm sure many of you could see that I pretty much travel and go to races by myself as basically he had little or no interest in coming in these last few years.  He didn't even know about the bombing all those years back in Boston as he was at the office and not even tracking me.  One of his work colleagues was and told him what was going on.  Sadly, he has no idea that I actually the fastest time this year at Boston than I have run since 2001.  When I was 39.  He cares that I do what makes me happy and he knows that is being in Atlanta.  I'm just sad that after all these years that this is what he had decided.  Don't get me wrong, this was not a real shock to me, but......  Of course as those of you who have been through this might know, it is much easier to remained married yet apart for financial reasons.  As I tease, he can't really afford the D-word - lol.  Weird enough as he still wants to go to NYC in November with my daughter and I and on vacation with our Atlanta friends like we have for the last few years between Christmas and New Years.  The weird new normal I guess and I know I'm not the only one who has such a life.

Enough, back to running/biking/swimming.....the weather is finally good today in that it is sunny! although just 50F.  Not really too ride, so I am going to venture out in about 2 hrs when it is the warmest part of the day.  It was only 40F and raining since I got here on Thursday.

Here is the info on what we are biking:  http://www.thegreatalleghenypassage.com/
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for the update Michele.  I'm not going to pretend I even begin to understand what you're going through.  Kudos on your running accomplishments.  Awkward moving forward to say the least.  You seem to have a good attitude...and you have lots of friends both running and otherwise to lean on.  I'll be thinking of you.

Thanks for sharing. Marty insists that I carry my cell phone and tell him when I'll be back.  He makes me go with a friend if I'm going off road and onto the trails.  He won't let me travel to races by myself...Katie comes in handy.  He likes me to be home in time to fix his lunch and eat with him.  It's all a bit annoying at times but after reading your post I'll be a bit more appreciative and a bit less frustrated.

Enjoy your bike ride and your time with friends.  Keep us posted.

As I said I'll be thinking of you...and I'll see you in Boston!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am

Thank you for sharing this, Michele. I'm sorry things are working out with your husband. That has to be hard. I hope he can find his way through whatever he's going through and discover life outside of the workplace. And I hope you find a balance that's best for you, too.

(On the running note, I'm amazed that you can "blow up" and still win your AG by 10 minutes in a half-freaking-marathon. And congrats on your fast Boston. I hadn't realized you were killing it quite so effectively that day -- I was just blown away by your splits.)

Say Hi to Kev and Mike for me.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks guys - it will all work out, and just think (I've met Nancy and Doug and Kevin and Mike and Michael and Gobbles and Schuey) I've got all of you to listen to my running/cycling/swimming and training exploits.  It is a big part of our lives and it is the balance I have over my husband.  Whatever happens happens and I'll just continue to run/bike/swim and enjoy it all  - even if it by myself with my running/cycling/swimming/tri buds.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 10, 2017 2:49 pm

It is the kind of thing that occurs and the people around you can help or be quiet or make you laugh or make you realize that life indeed does go on.  Surprise and amaze people with your lack of bitterness.  All in all, it'll turn out to be a good thing.  And your daughter will see you not being bitter as a living example of a grown up acting like a grown up.

All you need now are some pictures of Nancy's pup!

Gratz on Nashville, ma'am.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks guys - it will all work out, and just think (I've met Nancy and Doug and Kevin and Mike and Michael and Gobbles and Schuey) I've got all of you to listen to my running/cycling/swimming and training exploits.  It is a big part of our lives and it is the balance I have over my husband.  Whatever happens happens and I'll just continue to run/bike/swim and enjoy it all  - even if it by myself with my running/cycling/swimming/tri buds.

I'm just glad I can be a part of your new normal...even if it is a very small part.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 11, 2017 10:49 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks guys - it will all work out, and just think (I've met Nancy and Doug and Kevin and Mike and Michael and Gobbles and Schuey) I've got all of you to listen to my running/cycling/swimming and training exploits.  It is a big part of our lives and it is the balance I have over my husband.  Whatever happens happens and I'll just continue to run/bike/swim and enjoy it all  - even if it by myself with my running/cycling/swimming/tri buds.

Yup. We're here for you, just like you're here for us.

And if you ever decide to do something crazy like swing by Upper Left America one of these days, you'll be able to add to your list of face-to-face contacts!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 am

Mark B wrote:

And if you ever decide to do something crazy like swing by Upper Left America one of these days, you'll be able to add to your list of face-to-face contacts!

Someday I sure will, Mark.

My Epic Bike Adventure might get delayed - oh no! as we are so ready.  The women who set it all up and her husband (my running friend) just had a family tragedy as Craig's brother passed unexpectedly Monday night.  He was only 64.  The issue is that Craig's Mom had just left Ohio (earlier this year) to go live with him in Dallas.  So now what?  We (the remaining three women) are getting together tonight and will talk to them via Facetime or Skype as they want to do this but its next week.  It is hard for me to believe that they can get things settled that quickly - but as of right now they are determined and I understand the reason that they still want to do this.  

Hopefully it will all go off as planned as the weather is supposed to turn and be beautiful (low 70s) across the 337 miles and we were hoping to document our adventure with pictures, etc.  I keep everyone posted.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:

My Epic Bike Adventure might get delayed - oh no! as we are so ready.  The women who set it all up and her husband (my running friend) just had a family tragedy as Craig's brother passed unexpectedly Monday night.  He was only 64.  The issue is that Craig's Mom had just left Ohio (earlier this year) to go live with him in Dallas.  So now what?  We (the remaining three women) are getting together tonight and will talk to them via Facetime or Skype as they want to do this but its next week.  It is hard for me to believe that they can get things settled that quickly - but as of right now they are determined and I understand the reason that they still want to do this.  

Hopefully it will all go off as planned as the weather is supposed to turn and be beautiful (low 70s) across the 337 miles and we were hoping to document our adventure with pictures, etc.  I keep everyone posted.

My condolences to Craig's family.  Hope you're all able to pull this together and get the bike ride done as planned.

As far as visiting the great Pacific Northwest...I'm verbally and mentally committed to a Half Ironman in Victoria in early June 2018.  I've heard it's a relatively easy course and a fantastic location.  It's not right in Mark's back door but...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 11, 2017 10:47 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

My condolences to Craig's family.  Hope you're all able to pull this together and get the bike ride done as planned.

As far as visiting the great Pacific Northwest...I'm verbally and mentally committed to a Half Ironman in Victoria in early June 2018.  I've heard it's a relatively easy course and a fantastic location.  It's not right in Mark's back door but...
OMG - a half iron in Victoria would be awesome.  I ran the marathon there back in 2004 and would love to go back.  Not sure about funds - but I'm sure I could convince my daughter to come.  Who knows what will happen with the other half.  I guess the only issue is where do you swim?  In the cold, cold ocean?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

OMG - a half iron in Victoria would be awesome.  I ran the marathon there back in 2004 and would love to go back.  Not sure about funds - but I'm sure I could convince my daughter to come.  Who knows what will happen with the other half.  I guess the only issue is where do you swim?  In the cold, cold ocean?

Nope...Elk Lake.  Then you bike up the west side and down the east side of the Saanich/Sydney peninsula back to the lake.  The run is around the lake and is at least partially on trails.  I've heard it's a relatively easy course and a great venue.  It's highly recommended especially for a first half tri.  I'm super excited!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun May 28, 2017 7:48 pm

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 3 Dc_fin11
So last week I biked 346 total miles - and it was fun - especially seeing Kevin for the last 5 miles.  More to come.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 28, 2017 9:53 pm

You all look soooo happy!  It must have been a fun trip.  I can't wait to hear more details.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Let me see how this measures.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Okay.  Got it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 am

ounce wrote:Let me see how this measures.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Okay.  Got it.

No moving in to Michele's space. Subleasing isn't in the contract.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Let me see how this measures.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Okay.  Got it.

No moving in to Michele's space. Subleasing isn't in the contract.
MAN!!!  Give a dude a little power and he thinks he's, let me see.....,

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 3 Th?id=OIP.lhGWt8wqGr_Bn6MdsIvtegDDEs&w=195&h=300&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next