365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year

+2
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
6 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 Empty Re: 2017 Another Tri-ing Year

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:59 pm

So I did complete my target Half IM in Augusta on September 24th, but only Garmin and Strava know for sure - lol (and well everyone else who knows me in the Atlanta tri community).  I was officially a DQ as I took a wrong turn, doubled back, but missed a mat somewhere in my turn around and went over another mat 2x which screwed everything up.  I immediately went to an official as I crossed the finish line, but because I missed the mat, they would not accept my Garmin data which sucks since I would have been 5th in my AG.  Oh well, live and learn and I've lived and learned to find out that I am not the only one that this has happened to on this course or even this year.  They need to better mark the turn if anyone can miss it that easily.  I know that I went to grab a sponge at the water stop (it was in the 80s on the run) and somehow got turned around and realized it when I saw the 5 mile marker again and not the 8 mile marker.  Anyway, since I recovered pretty well (well except for my foot), I have decided to do the IM70.3 North Carolina race on 10/21 just to get some redemption, points, and an official finish. I'm still running the NYC marathon on Nov 5th, but since it was always a race for fun, this is what I have decided to do.  Now I just need to make sure that my foot is fully healed by then.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 Im_aug10

As for the foot, I twisted it quite badly (proper English?) the Tuesday of the Irma fiasco here in Atlanta.  I was walking my daughter's dang puppy in the drizzle and he pulled one way, and my foot went the other.  Lots of icing, etc., and I made it through the 13.1 (I actually ran 13.4 and the course measure 12.8 for most) as you can see above.  It is still not 100% as I definitely stretch the fascia and I still have a sore spot near the little toe and on the middle side of the foot.  Still icing some, using ibuprofen, Tens and taping when I do run, but I have pretty much only been swimming and cycling for the last month with the exception of a few runs.  I am supposed to do a Ragnar relay on the 13th and 14th of the month, the half IM on the 21st and then NYC.  It gets better everyday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Augh! Too bad about the race and the ankle twist. Hope it heals up fast.

Good race picture, though. You look fierce! Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:12 am

Gratz, Miche1e!  Well, the tootsie will heal up, one of these days.  But I can tell that it's not going to hold you back.

I'm not sure that I agree with Mark on you looking fierce in the picture.  I tend to believe that you look dehydrated because you're not sweating a drop.  Well, maybe one drop on your right elbow.

Keep enjoying it.  What breed is your granddog?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:33 pm

I wondered how your tri went.  That's a bummer!  Can't believe you're going to do another this month and then run NY.  You're a busy girl!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 am

Granddog is a mutt - actually a rescue.  Mom was found with puppies and he was born in captivity - so to speak.  He is a handful at best - probably a cross between a boxer and basset hound/beagle - but a very loving boy.  Not used to having a puppy around and since I work from home, guess who takes care of him - well, if you guessed me, you are indeed right.  He just turned 
.2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 Dodger10
6 months o
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:16 am

He's a cute one! And he looks very attentive. Do you think he may be a running partner someday?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Yeah, he's a cutie.  You might want to binge watch "The Dog Whisperer."  That will help the boy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am

Sorry that I've been a bit MIA as of late, and yes, Ounce, both of my teams are indeed out  - so now I'm on the Astros band wagon as anyone who beats the Yankees is just awesome in my book.  I've been MIA because as it turns out that foot I rolled back in September is actually broken.  Yup, a broken 5th Metatarsal bone which is a real annoyance.  I've had to withdrawn from the relay I was to run last weekend, the half IM I was to do this weekend, and the NYC marathon.  It's tough as I have not been injured in a long time, and I would rather be suffering from an injury that resulted from running or biking or swimming - not from rolling my foot walking a rambunctious puppy.  So I'm in an aircast which sucks and I'm limited to biking and some swimming until the 10th of November.  Hopefully, the bone will heal and I won't need surgery and pins.  If it comes to that, I'll be real annoyed.  So here is a little fun photo of my misery:2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 Boot10
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 am

Well that's a bummer!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 am

Oh, no! Alita broke her fifth metatarsal two summers ago. It healed up just fine, but it was an aggravation healing, for sure.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah, that looks like a fun photo.  I guess it's been a while since you've fallen over a boy....dog? Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 am

ounce wrote:Yeah, that looks like a fun photo.  I guess it's been a while since you've fallen over a boy....dog? Wink
Yup Laughing
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:22 am

Couldn't run NY, but I did go up and spectate - awesome year for that.  Here's a photo that I took to share (and that is Mary Pat's brother in the forefront).  That made it worth the trip.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 Shalan11
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 pm

What an awesome photo!  Nice job.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 pm

After seeing that I'm even more disappointed that I forgot to set the DVR to record NY before I headed out of town for my marathon.  Would have loved to watch it!

Looks like you made the best of the weekend even though you didn't get to run.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:12 am

Yes, great photo!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Finally cleared to run, and the first day was during a pretty good snowstorm for Atlanta.  I did get in 2 miles on the Indoor track at my health club before the weather got real bad - even swam 1300 yds outside in a snowstorm.  Doc seems to feel I'll be fine for Boston.  Might not to be able to get in the mileage for the first few weeks, but should be able to ramp up.  Of course, got a bit waylaid over the weekend with the snow, but I was able to get in 3 miles on the Indoor track yesterday and 3 more today.  Slowly going to build up and continue swimming and cycling (mostly indoor spin classes) for the next few weeks and then hopefully turn to Boston training in earnest in January.  We will see.   

Meanwhile, here's some snow in Atlanta.  My front door is the one on the right with the wreath.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 Front_11
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm

That's some pretty impressive snow for Atlanta. Is it safe to say that life in the city has skidded to a halt?

(And congrats on finally being cleared to run!)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am

Wow!  That's some snowfall for Atlanta!  And it would have to coincide with your release to return to running.  Knowing you, I'm sure you'll figure out a way to safely return to running and be ready for Boston. Running

Stay safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Good snow stuff.  I understand Atlanta gets more wintry falling down weather than Houston does.  Ice storms are much, much rarer than snow around here.

For the snow we had, a few days ago, this is a picture coming down one of the tall ramps from one freeway to another.  Cars are buried under the snow.  Everyone in their cars were rescued.

2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 9k=

I took the following picture of a guy with snowshoes on along the running loop at Memorial Park.
2017 Another Tri-ing Year - Page 4 5310627425_2c8a61b74b_b

It melted the next day.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Hope you have a Merry Christmas, Michele!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 pm

+1 and Dodger, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Merry Christmas Michele.  Hope the return to running is going well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:05 pm

During the time I had the boot, I had to change my training.  I was able to continue to swim which I did, but really I did a lot of pull for the first few weeks and no pushing off with the right foot.  After the first 5 wks of the boot (remember I didn't get the foot checked until 3 wks after the initial break), I was able to add back "real" swimming i.e. freestyle with kicking, but I still did mostly pull work.  I could no longer cycle outdoors so I started taking spin classes which turned out to be something that I really enjoy.

As for rehabbing a broken fifth metatarsal, I couldn't find a lot of direction as I scoured the internet for folks with a similar situation.  I made sure to take extra calcium in my diet and kept those glasses of wine to a minimum.  I also massaged the foot area daily to maintain blood flow.  After 7 wks in the boot, I finally was able to walk without it, and at that point, I was cleared to ride my bike, but I still was wary of riding outside for fear of falling, so I stuck with spin classes but now I could at least come out of the saddle.  After those two weeks, I was cleared to run.

So I decided to start on the indoor track - and I ran 2 miles, and it hurt.  No the foot didn't hurt, but my lower back, glutes, ITBand, and adductors sure did.  That boot caused me to be off balance and really had my hip out of whack.  I have been working since I started back to running on fixing/improving these imbalances and slowly I'm feeling less pain while running.  So I've run up to 6 miles now, and I've run a total of ten times.  It's coming back slowly but it's coming back.  Actually hope to run 10 tomorrow - which might be a challenge but we will see.  

Here's to a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.  I'm headed up to western NY to get my 2nd and hopefully last snow and cold fix (it is supposed to e 16F later this week).  Don't think I'll be running outside too much, so I sure hope the gym is open so I can swim and use a dreadmill.

I'm hoping that I can start Boston training after the first of the year - we will see.   And then IM70.3 Victoria with Nancy and friends.  Nancy - I even got my friend Laura (the woman that I biked the Gap with last May) to sign up for Victoria.  Going to be a party.  I do need advice from Nancy and Mark with regards to where to stay/what to see in the Pacific NW.  My daughter and I are planning on flying to Seattle on Thursday, renting a car and going to Victoria on the Friday morning early ferry.  That gives me time to familiarize myself on Friday and Saturday with the course (swim, ride, run a bit).  We will leave early on Monday morning and head back to Seattle and then our plan is to meander down to Portland with at least a stop at Mt. Ranier.  I need help as to what to see around Portland and where to stay in the city.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Feeling much sympathy for that broken 5th metatarsal. That's the one Alita broke. It took time, but she recovered sufficiently to do her first ultra the following summer. So I best you'll be able to do whatever else you want.

As far as things to do, hmm... Victoria is in early June, so it's potentially a good time of year to visit the PNW. (Summer doesn't usually start until after July 4, but sometimes it dries out sooner.)  The snowpack should be heavy in the mountains, so I'm not sure how that'd work for Rainier. The highway ought to be plowed out to Mount St. Helens if you want to check that out.

I don't get up to Seattle much, but up there I'd say you should take a ferry out into the Sound, go to Pike's Street Market, the Museum of Pop Culture, and you'll need to head up to the top of the Space Needle, which is right next door.

Portland has a variety of options depending on what you want to do -- though you'll want to visit Powell's Books, run in Forest Park, maybe see the Portland Japanese Garden, check out the Columbia River Gorge and, oh, I don't know... VISIT US? (We do have a guest bedroom if you're interested.) Otherwise, there's a bazillion places to stay in Portland. It'd depend on your budget and how close you want to be to all the stuff downtown. Lots of dining options, depending on your preference. Also great ice cream at Salt & Straw, and passable but popular doughnuts at Voodoo Doughnuts.

That's a start, anyway. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next