365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread, August 19

+14
JohnP
Nick Morris
Diego
Mark B
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Ken Mello
Seth Harrison
Michael Enright
Kenny B.
ChasMcG
Mike MacLellan
rhondda h
John Kilpatrick
18 posters

Go down

Friday Thread, August 19 Empty Friday Thread, August 19

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most
stubborn one to get over (if even over it)?

What percentage of people you are around (coworkers, family,
etc) have a clue as to why you put the time and effort into running that you
do?

Is it easier to train in the south (hot long summer) or the
north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question...

Does having someone who doesn’t understand running motivate
or discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example:
“running that far can’t be good for you…”

Do you like running 5K races? Why or why not?

What one person in the world would you like to spend a day
with and why?

What is one dumb/funny/senseless/clueless comment that you have heard directed at you
regarding running in the last 6 months.

Do you watch college football?

What is your favorite (football) team?

What football game are you most looking forward to this
year?

Who will win the NCAA Natl. football championship?

Who are your top three all time favorite football players? For those that don’t care about football,
what are your top three athletes in general?

What kind of fish is this (if in Midwest, SE, or east coast)?

[img]Friday Thread, August 19 Fish_110[/img]

What about this (if in the west and SW US)?
[img]Friday Thread, August 19 Fish210[/img]

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread, August 19 Empty Re: Friday Thread, August 19

Post  rhondda h Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Yay! A Friday thread. Thanks John.

stubborn one to get over (if even over it)?Ankle, twisted in a pothole and ran 20 more miles on it. It will never be the same, but it was worth it.

do?1, my daughter.

north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question...North seems easier but

maybe because I'm used to it and don't mind the treadmill.

or discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example:
“running that far can’t be good for you…”probably lean toward motivate, I've learned to let most comments

roll off my back, especially now.

Do you like running 5K races? Why or why not?Not really, but I do if it's a race to run with my family. Too short and hurt

too much.

with and why?
My new granddaughter. She'll be 4 months old before I get to hold her.

What is one dumb/funny/senseless/clueless comment that you have heard directed at you
regarding running in the last 6 months. Would you have noticed the signs sooner if you weren't running like a crazy person all

the time. And unfortunately, phrased differently, but a similar comment heard more than once. Grrr.

Do you watch college football?Yes.

What is your favorite (football) team?The Irish.

year?Bears vs Packers.

Who will win the NCAA Natl. football championship?Guess, LSU, are they still good?

Who are your top three all time favorite football players? For those that don’t care about football,Walter Payton, Joe Namath, and my son (the boy could run!)

What kind of fish is this (if in Midwest, SE, or east coast)? trout????

no clue. The only ones we see now are Asian Carp.
rhondda h
rhondda h

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Yep. In college, pulled my right groin badly enough that I couldn't run for a looooong time. Then pulled something in the left groin area during my first training cycle. Had to lift the leg out of the car.

do?

I surround myself with people who generally get it. Those that don't are generally not people I make an effort to see - not because of that, there's just a strong correlation. So, 90%+.

north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question...

Southern California.

HAHAHAHA. No. Aileen's mom has said that to her about me, but not to me directly. And her sister told me I'd have heart problems from it. I just laugh.

No. Hate red-line efforts like that; I'm a diesel.

with and why?

Oof. I don't know. There's no one I'm dying to hang out with.

That it'll give me heart problems. And yes, I know that decades of endurance training is associated with a higher rate of scar tissue around the heart, but that's not correlated to heart disease in the way it is when it comes from shitty diet and a sedentary lifestyle.

When I can.

Don't care. I just like the overall game - the sights, sounds, atmosphere.

year?

Probably the Rosebowl, since I'll be able to watch it with family. Or if there's a game on Thanksgiving.

Shrug.

Who are your top three all time favorite football players? For those that don’t care about football,

FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL. Shit John, got something on your mind? Wink
Top three favorites (some due to talent, some not): George Parros (NHL enforcer), Fabian Cancellara, and...

Really looks like a lungfish, or a relative thereof, but lungfish aren't bony and this one is.

Uh... If the head was different, I'd say it's related to a plecostamus (Amazonian catfish also known as a "sucker fish"). But since it's not... No idea. I only keep tropicals, and non-natives! Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:47 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most
stubborn one to get over (if even over it)? Never had a running injury. I tore my calf muscle playing softball so that forced me to stop running. That was the most stubborn one because I went back too fast and I still have issues with it!

do? 5% - No one really cares to ask besides you guys. I get a lot of "Really? I hate running" and they change the conversation fast.

north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question... I live in the Rockies so I'm not sure since we don't have the humidity that typically affects the weather in those situations. I would say the Winter would be hard. At least in the Summer, you can get out early enough to beat most of the heat. In the Winter, you have to fight a lot more elements like ice.

“running that far can’t be good for you…” Motivate. When I first started running, I was 200 pounds. Everyone just rolled their eyes thinking my little journey wouldn't last. All those days I wanted to sit on the couch, I would think about my shitty friends and get out and run. It's been 4 years and they can all kiss off! I think it's time to unfriend a few of those people. Hard when you have so much time invested though. I'm coming to the end of my rope that's for sure!

Do you like running 5K races? Why or why not? I do actually. I see most of my improvement in running through those for some reason. Half marathon is still my favorite distance!

with and why? To like talk to? Um.....I'll have to think about that one. Now if we're talking about other activities, I have a pretty long list. A few of the 365'ers are on it Friday Thread, August 19 424776184

regarding running in the last 6 months. So you have a race tomorrow? Are you training for it?

Do you watch college football? More so now than before. I like it!

What is your favorite (football) team? Pro- Cowboys College - UofM (yes only because of Tim)

year? I haven't seen the schedule yet

Who will win the NCAA Natl. football championship? Boy you got me. Underdog probably

what are your top three athletes in general? Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis, and THE FRIDGE!! Actually loved most of Bears back in that day!

What kind of fish is this (if in Midwest, SE, or east coast)? Boy you got me!

ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most stubborn one to get over (if even over it)?

3 injuries - (1) hip flexor took me out of running for 7-10 days in 2007. (2) 2008 calf niggle missed 5 mile race but only out a few days (3) AT very stubborn on an off out for 10 weeks 20+ days straight. (start of 2009)

What percentage of people you are around (coworkers, family, etc) have a clue as to why you put the time and effort into running that you do?

Why? I don't think anyone as a full understanding why I do this even myself. But I can tell you that to not do it seems more confusing then doing it.

Is it easier to train in the south (hot long summer) or the north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question...

I don't know man! Some downside to winters is more clothes, darkness (cars etc), ice or snow disrupting training. Huge upside is I ran faster and PR much easier. But nothing is worse then this dam heat and humidity. SO I say cold long winters is where it is at.

Does having someone who doesn’t understand running motivateor discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example: “running that far can’t be good for you…”

Not at all. Family member once said to me when you have kids you are going to gain weight and have a stomach like me. Well that never happened. Quite the opposite. I have to look at divine spirit as valuable and reliable coach.

I must because I keep doing them. I hate them around mile 2 but love them after.

What one person in the world would you like to spend a day with and why?

Myself! Because if I can't spend a whole day with myself then how can I expect to spend it with anyone else.

You are going to get to thin.

No!

Rugby you mean! LOL I like rooting for underdogs Giants seem to fall in that category a lot even Jets.

What football game are you most looking forward to this year?

None! But if I can catch a game on Sunday that would be cool.

NASA!

Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Gale Sayers

Spider Trout

[img]Friday Thread, August 19 Fish210[/img][/quote]
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Have had several, dang it. Currently have PF, which I can't shake entirely, but can run with without making it worse, and it seems to be getting better. Had a quad strain (twice - once in each leg), and it caused me to DNF a marathon. Ugh.

do?
Maybe 10%. Not higher. Maybe lower.

Never lived in the south, so don't really know. I would think the south, because you can train thru fall/winter/spring more effectively, even if summers are hellish, but what do I know??

It has no effect on me if I think they don't know what they are talking about. I ignore them.

Sure, no problems with those, but I don't run a lot of them. I like to run them with my daughter once a year, but haven't managed that this time.

with and why?

I was going to say my mom, who died 5 years ago, because I miss her, but I guess she's not "in the world" in the sense you ask. I guess I'd say my brother Bill, who I haven't seen in a few years, and he's out on the west coast and I miss him, too.

I can't really think of one. Most of the funny comments directed at me and my running are well-deserved!

I love it.

My sucky Illini!

year?
Illinois/Michigan. We almost always lose, which is depressing, but every once in a while we win, which is glorious. But rare.

There is no legitimate NCAA national football championship, and I can't guess who will win that whole botched BCS thing. That's ugly.

I'll go only with ones I saw play in person or on TV: Gale Sayers (for his running style); Walter Payton (for his stamina and personality); Richard Dent (because that man loved to sack the QB, baby, and that's what it was all about!). Clearly, I grew up a Bears fan.

That is a wet fish.

That is also a wet fish.

Friday Thread, August 19 35-96
John Kilpatrick

Friday Thread, August 19 Icon_user_profile Friday Thread, August 19 Icon_contact_pm

Friday Thread, August 19 Empty Friday Thread, August 19 Empty
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 pm

I've had three knee surgeries, all right knee lateral meniscus. I'll never get over it! Sad

do?

A few do, but most of them are either also runners or related to
runners. The rest of the people in my life either shake their heads or
get this glassy eyed look when the subject comes up.

While the cold itself isn't a hindrance, the snow definitely is. I'll take the heat.

I stopped listening years ago.

I haven't run one in several years, but I always enjoyed them, probably because it's so much to the other extreme from running and training for marathons, which is what I spend the bulk of my running time and energy on.

with and why?

Coming up with one person is really tough, but for the sake of this conversation, I'll say Abraham Lincoln. I think he had the toughest job of any of our presidents.

I can't think of one. Like I said, I stopped listening to those people years ago.

Not enough to have an opinion

J-E-T-S...Jets, Jets, Jets

year?

I'm looking forward to the Jets getting back to the AFC championship game for the third year in a row, but this time with a better ending.

???

Joe Namath (football)
Tom Seaver (baseball)
Walt "Clyde" Frazier (basketball)

I'm know, I'm dating myself, and also identifying myself as a life long New York sports fan.

I have no friggin' idea
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most stubborn one to get over (if even over it)?

I tore both the major and minor peroneal tendons in my left foot. Took almost 18 months to get over, and I still have occasional pain from the remaining scar tissue. But hey, the doctor said I'd never walk evenly again, so I'm just happy to be back to running.

What percentage of people you are around (coworkers, family, etc) have a clue as to why you put the time and effort into running that you do?

0%. I dont know any runners here, and my family doesnt get it at all.

Is it easier to train in the south (hot long summer) or the north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question...

Having done both recently, I would definitely say its easier to train in the north. I enjoyed running outside during Vermont winters a LOT more than I'm enjoying running outdoors in a Texas summer.

Does having someone who doesn’t understand running motivate or discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example: “running that far can’t be good for you…”

Doesnt bother me one way or the other. Everyone is allowed their own opinion, even if its ill informed.

Its not my favorite, but I like them a lot more than 10K's - those are the WORST. 5K is just long enough to hurt, but its also over pretty quickly.

The President. Honestly, I'd love to see what a day in the life is like, behind the scenes.

What is one dumb/funny/senseless/clueless comment that you have heard directed at you regarding running in the last 6 months.

"Why on earth would you get up so early in the morning when you don't have to?"

Meh. If its on, I might, but I dont go out of my way to do so. Plus "Longhorn mania" is so sickeningly overwhelming here that I really don't care.

College? University of Arizona, I guess, since I'm an alum. Pro - Patriots.

Like I said, I'm not very interested, so I have no idea who is playing when.

I'll go with Oklahoma, but only because they're one of the few teams I've seen regularly.

Who are your top three all time favorite football players? For those that don’t care about football, what are your top three athletes in general?

Tom Brady, Steve Grogan, John Hannah
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:39 pm

HHT or high hamstring tendinosis. I have it every year and it creeps up when I drive long distances and then it goes away. I affectionately call it "Dead Butt Syndrome"

do? 5% maybe

north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question... The north for sure, and I have done both having lived and trained in New England (Massachusetts, New Hampshire), the Mid-Atlantic (Delaware), the Midwest (Cleveland, OH), and the South (Atlanta, GA). I'll take a snowstorm and negative temps before I'll take a 90+F day.

“running that far can’t be good for you…” Neither at this point in time as I just ignore it after all these years.

Do you like running 5K races? Why or why not? No, they are incredibly painful - like I have to run a zillion 100 m dashes. Do I run them? On ocassion.

with and why? President Obama - I think I'd be shocked at how difficult the day would be.

regarding running in the last 6 months. After the two untimely deaths at the NYC triathlon, my husband said, "See I told you running kills you". I said, but they were swimming.Razz

Do you watch college football? Yes - you cannot live in the South or Midwest and not watch, can you?

What is your favorite (football) team? NCAA? Dunno. Pro - New England Patriots.

year? Pats-Jets and probably OSU - Michigan

Who will win the NCAA Natl. football championship? Penn State (I have no idea if they are any good, I'd just like to see Joe Pa do it again.)

what are your top three athletes in general? Joe Montana, Walter Peyton, Tom Brady.

What kind of fish is this (if in Midwest, SE, or east coast)? Bass? Walleye?

What about this (if in the west and SW US)? Trout?

Friday Thread, August 19 35-96
John Kilpatrick

Friday Thread, August 19 Icon_user_profile Friday Thread, August 19 Icon_contact_pm
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:48 pm

I injured my hip abductor/groin trying to race two marathons too close together. It lingered for awhile. For thepast year, I've had a strain in my right calf that just won't go away. More annoying than causing any real problems.

do?

I try and stay stealthy about the running thing so I hope not many know how many hours I spend doing it. So I hope the percentage is low!

Definitely anywhere with warm winters is easier. You can train and train well in the hot stuff. Short days, snow covered streets and freezing cold temps rule out good training during the winter in parts of the country.

I usually just agree with them. I'm not out to change anyone's mind about running.

I do. Raced hard, they are painful. But they are over so fast that its nothing like the prolonged agony of some races. I don't think they are a race I'm particularly well suited to, but I like them.

with and why?

Well, my family of course. But if we are talking about someone famous....hmmmm....I think it would be interesting to hang with Jurgen Kilnsmann (coach of US soccer team) for a day and pick his brain and try and fill his head with my own ideas of who should play and who should be dropped.

My Dad is always trying to point out to me that races would be easier and more pleasant experiences if I ran them at a slower pace. I've never disagreed but he still keeps bringing it up like its a super idea.

I don't. I'm a big pro sports fan. Not into college stuff.

I'm a lifelong Redskins fan. They are winning at the moment but that's just because its preseason. This year will be another long and dark one.

year?

I love the NFL kickoff game that first Thursday night. LOVE IT.

Not Miami, I gather.

John Riggins, Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis

No clue!

No idea but the guy is rocking a nice beard in the pic.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Have you ever had a running injury? Yes. What was your most stubborn one to get over (if even over it)? Tightness and irritation in the right hip flexor caused by femoral glide, caused by gluteal insufficiency. I'm working on it, and hill and trail running is helping a lot.

What percentage of people you are around (coworkers, family, etc) have a clue as to why you put the time and effort into running that you do? Probably 85%, though the "why" is essentially because it's what I do.

Is it easier to train in the south (hot long summer) or the north (cold long winters)? Trick question. Head to the Pacific Northwest where it's always mild! Sure, the months of gray skies will make you crazy, but you won't freeze or fry.

Does having someone who doesn’t understand running motivate or discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example: “running that far can’t be good for you…” Not really. I actually don't get comments like that.

Do you like running 5K races? Why or why not? Sometimes. It's fun to go fast.

What one person in the world would you like to spend a day with and why? Impossible to answer. Too many possibilities, for as many reasons as there are possibilities.

What is one dumb/funny/senseless/clueless comment that you have heard directed at you regarding running in the last 6 months. Can't think of one in six months. But I did have a guy ask me once: "Why are you running? You being chased by coyotes or something?"

Do you watch college football? A little.

What is your favorite (football) team? Oregon Ducks

What football game are you most looking forward to this year? Oregon Ducks in the National Championship

Who will win the NCAA Natl. football championship? Oregon Ducks

Who are your top three all time favorite football players? Not a clue. For those that don’t care about football, what are your top three athletes in general? Off the top of my head... Eddie the Eagle, Steve Prefontaine, Rick Hansen. All driven by their own passion.

What kind of fish is this if in the west and SW US)?

Now, a salmon I could probably ID. This one took some looking. I think it's an Arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus). Yes?

(Edit to add: Woot! I got it right! Do I at least win a copy of the home game, John? Wink)

Last edited by Mark B on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...to celebrate my brilliant (lucky) fish identifying skills.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:37 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most stubborn one to get over (if even over it)?
Strained my left hamstring a time ago and never totally got over it - it flares from time to time. I'm told it may take years to get over?

John Kilpatrick wrote:What percentage of people you are around (coworkers, family,etc) have a clue as to why you put the time and effort into running that you do?
Maybe 10% at best

John Kilpatrick wrote:Is it easier to train in the south (hot long summer) or the north (cold long winters)? Michael Mitchell is banned from answering this question...
I don't know either - I wonder if I get more benefit from training in the hot south even though it really sucks. For me it is better because I can only take so much of the dreadmill...

John Kilpatrick wrote:Does having someone who doesn’t understand running motivate or discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example: “running that far can’t be good for you…”
I guess it doesn't really discourage me, but it sure gets old to hear the negativity so much - probably why I spend so much time on here!!!

John Kilpatrick wrote:Do you like running 5K races? Why or why not?
I have mixed feelings - they hurt so bad, but are sort of fun and are over quickly. There is no room for easing yourself into the run so they feel more high-pressure.

John Kilpatrick wrote:What one person in the world would you like to spend a day with and why?
I may have a different answer tomorrow, but I would love to hang with Bill Cosby. I'm biased in that though b/c I just got home from a Bill Cosby comedy show here and it was amazing. That guy is brilliant!

John Kilpatrick wrote:What is one dumb/funny/senseless/clueless comment that you have heard directed at you regarding running in the last 6 months.
Are you going to swim a marathon today?

John Kilpatrick wrote:Do you watch college football?
In the words of Bart Scott, "can't wait"

John Kilpatrick wrote:What is your favorite (football) team?
Virginia Tech
[img]Friday Thread, August 19 Hokies10[/img]

John Kilpatrick wrote:What football game are you most looking forward to this year?
Va Tech vs. Miami and Steelers ( Friday Thread, August 19 424776184 ) vs Ravens x2 ( Friday Thread, August 19 666742919 )

John Kilpatrick wrote:Who will win the NCAA Natl. football championship?
The Hokies! Oh wait, that will never happen. How about anyone but a team from the SEC.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Who are your top three all time favorite football players? For those that don’t care about football, what are your top three athletes in general?
Troy Polamalu, Barry Sanders, Michael Vick (on the field).

John Kilpatrick wrote:What kind of fish is this (if in Midwest, SE, or east coast)?

Bowfin (Amia calva)

John Kilpatrick wrote:What about this (if in the west and SW US)?
[img]Friday Thread, August 19 Fish210[/img][/quote]
Arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus)

Sorry about that - that was the fishhead in me coming out...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:50 am

What's a bowfin taste like? Similar to a Hokie? Or More like John Riggins' socks?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Yes, I would have to say my gluteus medius and minimus, because the muscles are so deep that they are hard to treat.

do?
maybe 15%

It depends if you are training for a spring or fall marathon. Training over the winter in the south is good, but the north stinks. Training over the summer in the south stinks and is ok in the north (part of this year may be an exception).

It sort of discourages me, but I try to realize that they just don't understand running.

No, I am not that good at short distances. I prefer the middle distances like the Half Marathon.

with and why?
Hugh Hefner...do I really need to say why...

33 miles in one weekend? I don't think that I have ran that much all summer.

You bet

American football? World football? College or professional??

year?

Wisconsin vs. Nebraska

Alabama

Reggie White, Bo Jackson, LaDainian Tomlinson

A snakehead? Dogfish?

Some type of trout??

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Yes, a number of them. I think the worst was a "near" fracture in my ankle bone. I needed a month of rest for it to heal but it did. Numerous muscle (hamstring, groin, etc.) issues but really none in the past few years.

do?
My wife does, but most have no clue as to the time and effort. There are a few people I know who have done marathons who probably have an idea though.

it's got to be easier in the north to train. For me, usually from mid-December through mid-February are on the TM due to snow and ice otherwise it's outside and we aren't nearly as hot as they are.

I don't think it motivates or discourages me. I tell them I am fortunate that my knees have held up, or I'll be extra careful to watch for pain. I think they mean well, it's more amusing than anything.

I don't for several reasons. Mainly because they aren't too compatible with longer distance training - it's tough to run a lot afterwards, and running a lot before compromises the race. They are not pleasant to run but are really a good experience that is over much quicker than a marathon.

with and why?
President Obama, to see what it's like to run the U.S.

I did have the typical, "How long is the marathon" asked recently.

Not much

I guess it would be the Bears if we must name a football team. Favorite team would of course be the White Sox.

year?
THe SUper Bowl.

No real idea, I must say.

I'd go with Walter Payton, Roger Staubach and Jim Brown.

Ha ha, I have to say, I am not a fish eater, or able to recognize different ones.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:36 pm

rhondda h wrote:Yay! A Friday thread. Thanks John.
do?1, my daughter.

Rhondda! Surely the count is 2, your husband goes with you on the long runs to he knows the time you put in.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most stubborn one to get over (if even over it)? I had hip surgery and had tendonitis post-op for 2 years. I just couldn't get rid of it, and I actually found that resting it made it worse and that running released enough endorphins that it helped the pain. After 3 years of very little running, it hasn't come back, and I hope it stays away.

My family mostly understand. And it seems like a bunch of my coworkers are runners. So now, I'd say the majority get it.

I've lived in the North (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and now Chicago for a month) and in Atlanta. I don't love running in the cold weather and snow, though. I can't speak for Chicago yet, but I can tell you that in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and ATL, the worst city for running was BY FAR ATLANTA. As in, it was HORRIBLE. In the summer, I never, ever ran outside after about the first 10 awful outdoor runs I did. It's so damn humid, you can't breathe. Your sweat stays on you because it's so humid. In the fall and spring, it's still hot / humid, and the pollen counts are so high, even the people without allergies start getting symptoms. The difficulty with the weather and running in Atlanta are a huge turnoff for me ever living there again voluntarily.

Does having someone who doesn’t understand running motivate or discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example: "running that far can’t be good for you…”
Neither, I don't listen to the opinions of non-runners on anything related to running.

Do you like running 5K races? Why or why not? No, they're too painful. They require a painful pace but are long enough to be torturous at that pace. I prefer the half and 10 mile distances.

What one person in the world would you like to spend a day with and why? I've always wanted to meet Al Pacino.

What is one dumb/funny/senseless/clueless comment that you have heard directed at you regarding running in the last 6 months. I keep my running on the downlow. If people who don't know me very well ask if I run, I'll tell them, but I don't advertise it. So I don't often get dumb comments because a lot of the people around me run.

Do you watch college football? Nope.

What is your favorite (football) team? I'm born and raised in Pittsburgh, and a die-hard Steelers fan.

What football game are you most looking forward to this year? Superbowl 2012 with the Steelers winning

Who will win the NCAA Natl. football championship? Don't know. No interest in college football at all.

what are your top three athletes in general? Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger

What kind of fish is this (if in Midwest, SE, or east coast)? A dead one, beats me what kind

What about this (if in the west and SW US)? One that's gonna die soon if that guy doesn't drop it back in.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:24 am

[quote="John Kilpatrick"]Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most

When I was in my early 20s, I tripped running at night into a pile of cement chunks that someone had left after breaking up their sidewalk. My fault for running in an unfamiliar area at night. It injured my patellar tendon and left me with swelling in the knee that lasted for months. Had medial quad atrophy and the whole nine yards. Didn't stop me from continuing to run occasionally and play basketball several times a week. The only thing about that was it took 18 months to heal as a result.

do?
I think that Connie and Hannah understand, Hannah simply because she has not known me to do anything else. Most of the rest are not too understanding or are mildly amused. It is interesting to hear others responses and reactions. I look at it as an opportunity to educate. Of course, some are more receptive than others. No big deal either way.

I've only trained in the north so I'd say that except for a couple months in the summer and a couple in the winter it's not so bad where I live. (Nebraska) I train year round outdoors unless the weather is quite extremely hot or cold.

I guess I've gotten used to some of those comments, so I tend to take it in stride. Again I look at it as an opportunity to educate.

Not particularly, but they can be a good barometer of your current level of fitness.

with and why?
This probably sounds trite, but honestly it would be my wife and daughter. For real. I know that's two people but that's my honest answer.

I tend to have a short memory so I don't remember any one comment that sticks out. Early Alzheimers perhaps??

Pretty much all the time in the fall. And then the pros on Sunday. I think my radio is going to come in handy while training this fall. And I try to drag my daughter in on the fun and she puts up with it occasionally.

I root for Nebraska and my favorite pro team is the Chiefs.

year?
I look forward to most any game involving Nebraska and I love the NFL season so most all of them. Yes, it's pretty ridiculous.

It will no doubt be the team that scores the most points in the BCS National Championship game. For real.

Other than that, I have no idea. I'm as clueless as all the other prognosticators.

I suppose they would be Walter Payton, Jim Brown, and Brook Berringer.

I eliminated the fish questions since they have already been answered and I had no clue anyway.

Thanks John for the questions!Cool
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Great questions, my answers.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Have you ever had a running injury? What was your most
Yes, who hasn't? I've pulled quads, sprained ankles, had PF, etc. The PF was stubborn, but it was merely a nuisance. A sprained ankle cost me most of my senior track season, but I got that injury playing bball. Another bball injury (back muscle injury) affected me for a solid 10 years.

do?

I'm not really sure I understand why myself.

South. Hot, humid weather is brutal, but it beats the hell out of the cold.

Couldn't care less

Yes, but I don't get out for many. 5Ks are the easiest races to find and there has never been a point in my life when I couldn't struggle through 3 miles.

with and why?

Muhammad Ali. I can't possibly summarize the reasons in less than a thousand words.

Can't think of any.

Only every chance I get.

Go Gators.

year?

It's going to be a long season, but I always enjoy the Tennessee game. We also get Bama and FSU at home. The schedule is fantastic. To bad we are going to be mediocre at best.

OU over LSU. Les Miles calls for a fake punt on 4th and 17 from his own 15 yard line and a 6 point lead and finally outdumbs himself.

Tough call: Willie Jackson Jr., Ahmad Black, and Chris Johnson.

can't see

healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:27 am

Runners have running injuries...goes with the territory! PF that I didn't pay attention to in my Right foot...ended up with PT & ultrasound, then injections and finally ESWT that worked. think it was about 4 months of therapy all together. PF Left foot...got right on it with PT & ultrasound...only about 2 months of therapy. NOW...torn Left Achilles Tendon (that I let go for a year)...surgery, PT (haven't gotten to that phase yet), looks like pay back will be about the year that I let it go. Call me stupid...I knew I was at the get go.
Only the running members of my family and my running friends...and since they make up the majority of the folks that know me, 70%.
Having done both, definitely the north. Even with the snow and ice, days on the TM are much fewer than those long months down south.
Does having someone who doesn’t understand running motivate or discourage you if they say you can’t do something or shouldn’t be doing something. Example: “running that far can’t be good for you…”
It just P$$$es me off and I stop talking running.
Not my favorite but it does tell me where I'm at in my training (when I'm training) or where my fitness is (when I'm not actually training for anything...which is RARE).
Same person I spend every day with...TODD. Why? He listens, has great suggestions and points me in the right direction when I get off track. It's nice having a mate who is also a runner Very Happy
What is one dumb/funny/senseless/clueless comment that you have heard directed at you regarding running in the last 6 months.
Looks like your career as a runner is over...greeter at WalMart last night. (Not until I'm 6 feet under buster!)
Yes, who doesn't! And OKLAHOMA is currently ranked #1...GO SOONERS!
Oh, did I let the cat out of the bag?
It used to be OU vs Texas...but in recent years, OU vs OSU has become a bigger rivalry.
I hope OU...come on Bobby (Stoops), make it happen!
Who are your top three all time favorite football players? For those that don’t care about football, what are your top three athletes in general?
I'm not a great name follower so...Grete Waits, Joan Benoit Samuelson, Kathrine Switzer.

Asian Carp...saw a bunch of those when we took the boat down the Illinois River last fall. They are really something! We need to start netting them and mass producing their meat to eat. They are supposed to be really good. (Oops, well I thought it was...guessed wrong!)

Don't know this one.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down