365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Week in Training Sept 12 - 18

+16
Dave-O
stanton
jon c
Glenn
wendy_miller
fostever
mul21
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
JohnP
Mike MacLellan
charles
Gobbles
Jerry
T Miller
KBFitz
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Your Week in Training Sept 12 - 18 - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Week in Training Sept 12 - 18

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 am

T Miller wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
T Miller wrote:

Jerry, I like the way you think. The goal is to run faster races not just to run more miles in training. Some of you are confused or just don't care about the end results. Your Week in Training Sept 12 - 18 - Page 2 4044942068

Oooh, I think this insult was thrown my way...

It wasn't directed at you at all Dave. I just think some people lose track of the goal. Actually I think you are very focused on the goal and build your training as a means to an end.

That's the point, though Jerry did beat Dave a couple of times and earned certain right. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Your Week in Training Sept 12 - 18 - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Week in Training Sept 12 - 18

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:48 pm

T Miller wrote: Jerry, I like the way you think. The goal is to run faster races not just to run more miles in training. Some of you are confused or just don't care about the end results.

Color me confused, but how does running more miles correlate to not caring about end results? scratch
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
T Miller wrote: Jerry, I like the way you think. The goal is to run faster races not just to run more miles in training. Some of you are confused or just don't care about the end results.

Color me confused, but how does running more miles correlate to not caring about end results? scratch

I think the point is that it's easy to get caught up in hitting a certain number every week or sacrificing quantity for quality as opposed to keeping the eyes on the prize and backing off when necessary. You just need to figure out what actually works for you as opposed to just winging it. For some it is high mileage and for others, not so much.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 pm

mul21 wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:

I think the point is that it's easy to get caught up in hitting a certain number every week or sacrificing quantity for quality as opposed to keeping the eyes on the prize and backing off when necessary. You just need to figure out what actually works for you as opposed to just winging it. For some it is high mileage and for others, not so much.

Jim, I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you in that some may find high mileage works for them and others find that it doesn't. What I don't understand is how that would equate to one not caring about the end results. That doesn't make sense in and of itself in theory, because if you're out there training, in my opinion, you would have an ounce of caring about what the end results are; high mileage or not. The comment was more of an accusation rather than an opinion on whether high mileage or low mileage pays off in the end. Just random.

To all of you who put in high mileage or low mileage, great job on getting out there in training. Keep up the great work!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 pm

I think it was more of a missing the forest for the trees comment. Running high mileage just to run high mileage regardless of whether or not you see improvements. Or continually get injured trying to run high mileage and keep doing it. Like Michele for instance, she's tried to do high mileage in the past, wound up injured and decided to fore go high mileage for more quality. If she stubbornly had kept trying to do high mileage and kept getting hurt, then she'd fall into what Tim was talking about. Schuey and Matt M are prime examples of high mileage working, but you can't just blindly do that without paying attention to the results it brings.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Case in point: me. Read my blog. Nuff said. Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 pm

I think it more of mind set or chicken and egg thing. Both camps want to PR, but one enjoys running itself more, thus tends to enjoy higher and higher mileage, whatever they can handle, then see what happens on performance. The 2nd camp hit high mileage purely for PR. Me, as an example, if not for PR, would not have quit soccer and run 6 days a week.

In other words, the first camp enjoys the process as well as result, while the other is all about winning and tiger blood.

I don't know if this makes any sense.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Jerry - first post of yours that makes complete sense to me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:37 pm

mul21 wrote:I think it was more of a missing the forest for the trees comment.
I guess alien
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Jerry - first post of yours that makes complete sense to me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jerry is such a winning warlock!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Chris M wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Jerry - first post of yours that makes complete sense to me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hahaha lol!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Hahaha lol!

Jerry wonders if those comments are compliment or sarcasm. scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 am

Jerry wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Hahaha lol!

Jerry wonders if those comments are compliment or sarcasm. scratch

Who cares Jerry, we love you.

Jim, you expressed what I was trying to say much better than I did.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:15 am

[quote="Mrs. Schuey"][quote="mul21"]
Mrs. Schuey wrote:

Some people run more miles as a form of therapy in their lives and don't care about some race or a PR. I didn't want to ignore that possibility.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2