365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charles Keeps Going

+7
fostever
dot520
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
KathyK
John Kilpatrick
charles.moman
11 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Empty Re: Charles Keeps Going

Post  dot520 Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 am

I'll be running the half again, keeping my streak alive for the Monumental. I might even consider getting a room this time, makes it so much easier and laid back in the morning.

I love the cremation prize!! That just really makes me smile!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 am

charles.moman wrote:When I got to age 50, I started getting AARP mailers.
Then the pre-paid funerals and "final-cost" life insurance.
But THIS was a first!
I do not think I will mail it back in - they might make me accept the prize NOW,not later.
Mark - please mention your hilarious reply from FB!

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Cremat10

Sure thing, Charles.

What did they put in the envelope, a match? jocolor
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 am

We got several inches of pretty snow last night and this morning, but I was determined to do 24 miles at the Refuge today.

Well . . . on the way out to the Refuge, I just about turned around because it was really slick and traffic was crawling on US 50. But I made it to the Turkey/Bird Trail parking lot and for a moment thought I was already stuck when I parked, but no. I decided to run that road along the parking lot to the dead end near US 31 back and forth. No one had driven it yet, so I was plowing through 2 - 3inches of snow and it was OK and kind of fun.

Slow going, but OK. I did two 3-mile loops, but had to stop because my feet were frozen. My Hoka shoes are very breathable and with my warm feet and the snow melting on them, I soon had soaking wet socks, I felt great and was glad to get the 24 miles done today, but I want to keep my toes. If it gets to 34 like they say, then I may go out on the streets and do another 6 - 12 today. If not, Monday looks good. I will at least do an hour or two walking fast on the TM. It was beautiful out there and the sandhill cranes were very loud near me, but I could not get to them today to film them.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:27 pm

charles.moman wrote:We got several inches of pretty snow last night and this morning, but I was determined to do 24 miles at the Refuge today.

Well . . . on the way out to the Refuge, I just about turned around because it was really slick and traffic was crawling on US 50. But I made it to the Turkey/Bird Trail parking lot and for a moment thought I was already stuck when I parked, but no. I decided to run that road along the parking lot to the dead end near US 31 back and forth. No one had driven it yet, so I was plowing through 2 - 3inches of snow and it was OK and kind of fun.

Slow going, but OK. I did two 3-mile loops, but had to stop because my feet were frozen. My Hoka shoes are very breathable and with my warm feet and the snow melting on them, I soon had soaking wet socks, I felt great and was glad to get the 24 miles done today, but I want to keep my toes. If it gets to 34 like they say, then I may go out on the streets and do another 6 - 12 today. If not, Monday looks good. I will at least do an hour or two walking fast on the TM. It was beautiful out there and the sandhill cranes were very loud near me, but I could not get to them today to film them.

Long-long runs are one thing, but destroying your feet is another. You were smart to cut it short.

That said, there's no harm in heading back out later today and making it a 24-mile day, rather than a single 24-mile run. Wendy tells me that's what Scott does a lot - heading out for repeated runs, logging insane miles, just not all at once.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I got out to the Refuge today and got running by 8 AM. I should have started 30 minutes sooner, it was light enough. It was in the low 20s and the wind was something else in the wide open spaces and not bad when the woods protected me. I am glad that I brought my wicking neck gaiter to cover much of my face in the windy spots.

The snow was packed down pretty well, so it was not slippery most of the time.
I needed to get back to take Susie to work, so I left after getting in 10.5 miles.
I ate some of us Susie's veggie soup and took her to work. I put my running jack and vest in the dryer because they were soaked. I sat in my Lazy Boy in my office for a very quick nap and then headed back out to the Refuge. It was 10 degrees warmer and the wind was not too bad. I needed to leave by 3:30 or so to take Susie out to supper. So I ended up with a total of 21.25 miles and I actually don't feel too bad at all. Tomorrow I will follow that with a 10-miler.

I am excited that I just won an Ebay auction for a pair of ADIDAS MENS TERREX FAST X FM MID GTX hiking/fastpacking boots. I got them for 50% less than most online stores. I have been looking for these for a while. They are not normal hiking boots at all. They have Gore Tex - are light and the soles are based on Addidas running shoes. Some ultrarunners use them in specific situations. I honestly don't move much faster than some trail fastpackers, so I think these will be useful to me. Plus, I needed new hiking boots anyway. I will try them out at the IT 100 FA 50K on March 23, when I do 2 loops a month before the event. I will use my Hokas on lap 1 and then the Addidas for loop 2. If it is raining at the IT 100, I may use them on loop 3 if it gets crazy muddy. BY then I will be doing a lot of power walking to make it by the cutoff. They will help my ankles from rolling when I get super tired.

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Screen10

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 2110
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Nice work getting your long run in on a busy day, Charles! That's the first time I've seen a 305 set to show only one data field on the screen. It looks spiffy.

Nice boots. Congrats on the sweet deal.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 am

I have my 305 set to show only mileage on one screen, elapsed time and real time on another and average pace and current pace. Makes it easier to read without my reading glasses. I plan on getting prescription sunglasses.

I can definitely feel it today, but it is not too bad. I was happy with my average pace for the day and hope I can do that for at least 30 - 40, then cruise out the last 10 really long miles in April! And then NEVER do it again!
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 am

An interesting week - I actually only ran twice, but weekly mileage was a little over 41 miles.
21 miles on Monday (split up into 2 runs) and then 20 miles on Saturday - one run.
Saturday was just beautiful and a great day to get in one of the last long runs before the Indiana Trail 100/50.

It was noisy at the Refuge - a zillion Sandhill cranes flying overhead.
At times it was crazy loud with hundreds flying by.
I wish I had a video of the river otters - one just kept sticking his head out of the water and fussing at me.
He would pop up - fuss - swim away underwater a few feet and do it again. It was very funny - to me.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Empty Charles does NOT keep on going!

Post  charles.moman Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

I have made a decision that has been long coming. I am not going to run the Indiana Trail 100 event this coming April. The training is simply too much for me and I am having nagging ankle issues too. Getting past 20 miles - though doable - has been getting harder and harder. I also lately have not been enjoying these weeks of ever-increasing miles. I started running in January of 2011 to get in better shape and started doing running events up to marathons.

That was fun and I want to do more - especially trail events. I am NOT having fun right now. Period. I am just not ready or capable to tackle races this long and I am very OK with that. I will go back to running for fun and my health, without the pressure of the kind of training schedule I have been killing myself with. Will I ever do a 50-miler? I am guessing no - but I would like to try a 50K, which is a more reasonable goal for someone like me. I want to stay at least 25-30 miles week and have fun doing it. Hiking with Susie will be more fun too! She is so crazy sweet and cute and patient!

I will be going to the IT100 to shoot video and stills for the event and I hope to be a reporter for a running website too. I will let you know if that works out.

I. Feel. Better. Now. Back to fun, not drudgery.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Sounds like you made the right decision, Charles. And believe me, I will never run a 50 or 100 miler - ever - so I get it. I have run one 50K trail event (the Huff), and it was fun. I didn't train any more than for a marathon and I probably could have even run shorter long runs as long as my mileage was in the 50 mpw range. Still hoping to see you in November.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 pm

It sounds like you made a smart choice, Charles. It couldn't have been an easy decision - but when what originally seemed like a cool idea has become more of a monkey on your back, then it's time to let go.

Cutting back and keeping it fun is always a good thing to do. Hey, maybe now you'll have time to give a little barefooting a try! Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

It really was not an easy decision at first. The ankle issue kept popping up - good long runs - bad long runs - then finally I realized I was dreading the 20+ milers. I was ALWAYS glad I finished them, but they were just not getting easier. Finally I knew they were just taking too big a toll on me week by week and the joy was gone.

This will not - however, lead to barefoot running! I am a HOKA man now! Laughing
I just ordered a pair of Hoka Stinson Evo trail shoes from iRunfar.com.
I will probably get another pair of the Bondi style too in a couple of months.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 am

I heard from the IT 100 race director this morning.
He was telling me that training burnout is a problem many are having and that maybe that is my issue.
I thanked him, but said that I may be burned out, but physically it has just become too much for me.
He then asked if I would consider doing a documentary of the event and that he would help me with the logistics.
He said he would have suggestions of runners to film in both events.

Susie and I had already talked about me doing that - so I am excited about that.
I will be up most of the 30 hours during the IT 100 - at aid stations and on the course.
I emailed Bryon Powell at iRunfar.com to ask if he wanted me to do interviews for him too - no word from him yet.

So . . . I really am excited about the documentary and will now start planning how that will work.
Hopefully it will turn out great and I may have something I could sell too.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:57 am

Excellent - what perfect way to experience the race!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:24 am

Now I am thinking I may have a stress fracture in my left foot. That is the same foot that I have had multiple sprains the past year. It has been hurting during some runs and then is better afterwards. But now it hurts to walk and throbs when I am off my feet. That is my self-diagnosis and we will see what Dr. Warren - my foot doctor says next week.
He and his partner are both athletes - so I really trust him to get me back to normal. Hopefully I have not let this go too long (I may have) and I can avoid surgery.

I have been doing some research online and my symptoms read like a classic stress fracture case.
This may have been what was making all of this harder and harder to do each week.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:30 pm

I like the idea about the documentary. You're quite the videographer, and it'd be a good way to stay involved in the festivities.

I don't like the idea about a possible stress fracture. Though, like you said, it might explain why those extra-long runs were so taxing.

Still not sold on the Hoka concept, especially if they're as smooshy underfoot as I think they are. It seems that they could exacerbate strain as your foot tries to achieve a stable landing. But I've never worn them, so I could be wrong about the smooshiness.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Well, from the description some of give of Hokas, I can understand why you would think that.
To me they are not smushy at all - your foot is not moving all around with each step because of the cushioning.
To me it is very cushioned, but not smushy. Firm, but cushioned.
Some have said it is like running on pillows - but that is really not the case.
My new Stinson Evo Hokas that are coming next week are said to be a bit more firm than the Bondi B shoes I have now. Still very cushioned, but a bit more firm EVA foam for trail running.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Empty Maybe not . . . .

Post  charles.moman Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:29 pm

I am staying off my feet as much as possible and that is helping.
Now I am wondering if maybe it is just tendonitis - like I had before when I tied my shoes too tight. I have been thinking about it and I now think that just may be it.
I still will go to the foot doc, but if it is not a SF, then I may do the race.

I would ask to be put back as a 100-miler, but only plan on 50 miles or so and I would have 30 hours to do it. I could take naps and still finish.

Hopefully I will know soon, but I am feeling more positive about it now.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 pm

I am positive it was simply the tendon issue I had earlier this year that Michelle diagnosed for me!
The IT 100 staff has relisted me as a 100-miler, though that is quite unlikely.
As a 100-miler, I can take 30 hours - but I won't.
If I need a good rest after the first two loops, I can do that and then go back out and finish the 50.
If I feel OK, then I will do a 4th loop for 66.67 miles.

My new Hokas come on Wednesday and I will go back to training on Thursday - nice and easy and without tying my shoes too tight! I am resetting my brain and will not let Mr. Negative get me down again! Embarassed
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 am

Congratulations on winning this round in the mental battle that is the ultra.

Remember the lesson, and it'll help when you're out there on race day. And don't overtighten those shoes!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 am

Hey Charles, it's great to hear that you don't have a SF and that you may be doing the Indiana 100. I don't know all of your details but I think I had a very similar issue. A trip to the Doc relieved my SF concerns and training has been going very well since. Happy training my friend.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 am

On Facebook, Dot told me to make up my mind! I told her that some think I have a split personality, but "we" don't agree! Another friend then asked which one was running the race and my reply was the insane one! Rolling Eyes
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:51 am

Alrighty then....back to our regularly scheduled broadcast of training runs!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 am

Good to hear about the foot, Charles. Keep on keeping on and you are more than welcome to be dyslexic here.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Empty New shoes

Post  charles.moman Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

I really am not shoe obsessed, but this may look like it. I have worn out my original Hoka running shoes - way over 500 miles. So I saved up my teaching money and have been scouring the web for good deals. I got a new pair of Hoka Stinson Evo trail shoes, a used-but-new Hoka Mafate waterproof trail shoes and a new pair of Addidas Terrex trail running/fast packing shoes. I am set for a long time now.

The Hokas have 2.5 times more cushioning than normal shoes, and a much wider platform for stability. They really save your knees and hips and they have a low heel drop. Not for everyone, but I love them.

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Shoes110

Two pair of Hokas and Addidas Terrex trail running/fast packing shows.

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Shoes210

These are my new Hoka Stinson Evo trail shoes - got them from iRunfar.com. They will not look like this very long will they?

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Shoes310

I got these pretty cheap on Ebay. These are the Hoka Mafate waterproof trail shoes. They have the most cushioning of all Hoka shoes. These are hard to find.

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Shoes510

These are the Addidas Terrex Fast R Gore-Tex trail running/fast packing shoes. These should be great for my left ankle that misbehaves sometimes.

Charles Keeps Going - Page 7 Shoes610

My old Bondi B shoes that have 500-600 miles.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next