365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charles Keeps Going

+7
fostever
dot520
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
KathyK
John Kilpatrick
charles.moman
11 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 8 Empty Re: Charles Keeps Going

Post  dot520 Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Only a runner would post not just one group shot of running shoes, but individual shots for our viewing pleasure.Razz
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:23 am

I am getting back to some longer runs, but nothing monstrous.
Compared to people like Tim and Wendy, who are getting ready for their own 50-mile races - I am just wrong. Of course, that would be comparing apples to oranges - they are actually competitive and actually racing. AND they CARE about their times - I just want to get from A to B before cutoffs.

Right now, I am actually walking/hiking more than I am doing straight running.
Yesterday I did 12 miles and did my run/walk system for half of it and then walked under 15 minute miles the rest of the way.

I know that I will be doing a lot of walking the second half of the 50 miles, so I am preparing for that.
When I do my longer walks, I am a little sore in different places than when I run.
I never get shin splints, but they are just a little sore today - I must use those muscles more when walking fast. It is also so easy to slow down when walking if you do not concentrate about what you are doing.

As I probably said before - I am going to take advantage of being a registered 100-miler and the 30-hour limit.
Right now I am planning on doing loop one (16.67) in 4 hours, loop two in 5 hours and if I feel like it - loop three in 6 hours and make the 15-hour cutoff that the official 50-milers must reach at 9:00 PM. But, I may take an extended rest at the Indiana Trail Runners camp after loop 2, then head back out and finish after 9:00. Then go out on loop four and on the way, stop at our cabin which is about 2 miles from the start along the trail and rest for 2-3 hours. Maybe around 2 AM, I will head back out with a video camera and do a slow loop while filming along the way. I doubt I will try for 5 loops, so I will end up with about 67 miles. Since this will likely be my last try at 50-miles, I would be quite content with this result. A -> B, and done.

I know this kind of talk is heresy to most here and I understand that. I came to this game a bit late and I do what I do. Fast or slow - 50 miles is still 50 miles and all my friends doubt my sanity. Almost none of them will be impressed - they just think it is a stupid thing to do. Smile

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm

A shade over 10 miles at the Refuge today. Shorts and short-sleeved tech shirt! Yeah! About 2 hours - 12:50 per mile pace - that would be a little too fast for me at the IT 100. I did a loop up there and stayed in the 13:00s, which is plenty fast for the kind of miles I will be doing. Today I was doing 1 minute run/1 minute walk pattern and fighting some strong winds in the last 2 miles. Good times.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:08 pm

I don't think your ideas are heretical in the least, Charles. In fact, you should be applauded for your clever solution to this problem. Doing a 50 at a 100-miler takes a lot of pressure off worrying about hitting cut-off times, which is a big deal when it's your first time at that distance.

How hilly is this course? I once (ahem) made the mistake underestimating the terrain in Indiana, so I don't want to naively think it won't factor in to this race.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:26 pm

YES, I AM a genius!
Not hilly, as in big hills, but a lot of small jr. hills or rises.
A death by a "thousand cuts" kind of hills. Dead
Absolutely nothing like the Tecumseh Trail - seems pancake flat compared to that.
That is why one of the race directors told me he does not expect the American record to be broken at the IT 100.
I heard from Bryon Powell that it is very unlikely the American record holder, Ian Sharman, will be at the race as previously announced. He has some injury issues.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Well I think your nuts too , Charles! Actually I'm just kidding. I would never run a 50 miler let alone try a longer race and I'm impressed with your training and sound methodology. I think a long race needs a strategy and plan. After all, I have a plan for a marathon or even a half. Keep up the training and I'm kind of psyched about the possible video.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Good thing you got your run in yesterday because today was even windier. Killer winds just after noon today when I was outside. I find Mark's comments about underestimating Indiana hills as amusing because no one really realizes that south of I-70 is ice glacier melt country. Smile
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Well I think your nuts too , Charles! Actually I'm just kidding. I would never run a 50 miler let alone try a longer race and I'm impressed with your training and sound methodology. I think a long race needs a strategy and plan. After all, I have a plan for a marathon or even a half. Keep up the training and I'm kind of psyched about the possible video.

+1!

Enjoy the nicer weather heading your way soon!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 am

I am leaving home at about 3 AM tomorrow morning to head up to Chain 'O Lakes State Park to run the IT 100 course twice. This is their final FA 50K for IT 100 runners - they had a limit of 50 runners - however anyone can run the route on their own. They will have bibs and timing chips and start at 9 AM.

I am starting around 7 AM - I want a 2 hour head start because I do not want to get home too late.
By the time I hit the 2nd aid station, it should be open. They will have one at the start, mile 4ish and 9ish.
My very loose goal is loop one in around 4 hours or less and loop two in 4.5 or so.
I did a loop in 3:45 earlier this year. Each loop is 16.67 miles.
There will be some snow and mud on the route and it is supposed to get up to 40.
Then one month until the real deal. I am sure Tim and Scott will have killer runs.
My plan is to NOT have the run KILL ME!

My granddaughter was here yesterday and we made another iMovie trailer.

Addie came for a fun day with her grandparents, but little did she know . . . .

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

I love how they're doing FA runs on the race course. You're wise to take advantage of the opportunity to train on the place where you're going to be running. Good luck!

Addie's already a better actress than that chick in the Twilight series. Get her an agent! Very Happy

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Hope it's going well for you. Best to get that in today because tomorrow is an historic snow day!!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 8 Empty An epic Saturday in March

Post  charles.moman Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:54 am

A long and epic Saturday - 7 hours of driving (3.5 each way) to Chain 'O Lakes State Park to run/walk 2 loops of the route - 33.34 miles. And I did it! Was not pretty at the end, but got it done. An absolutely beautiful day that started @ 2 AM when I got up and headed north. I began my run in the dark with a headlight on for maybe 30 minutes. I could have gone on and done a 3rd loop, so I know I can get 50 miles in 4 weeks. I. Am. Pooped! And. Encouraged.

I put the above on FB and I was being nice about Chad, in case he sees it.
I walked the IT 100 route back in the fall with Chad and a race director.
Chad said then he was planning on doing 100 in April, but at the end of a slow walk of the route, he was toast.
I felt like I had taken a very easy walk and I wondered if Chad could be ready in time. I had my doubts.
I ran into him at the old schoolhouse, which is an aid station at mile 4ish and 14 miles - when you are 2.6ish miles out from the start/finish. Chad is a very nice guy - he says he is 70 lbs overweight and he is. He was glad to see me and we headed out together. For a mile or so, he seemed OK - was doing my run/walk pretty well. But when we started the 2nd loop, it became quickly apparent that he was toast. And the slippery mud, here and there, was tricky to deal with.

For a while I would say "let's run to that 3rd pink marker down the trail and then walk" and he could. But if I did not suggest that, we would never run. Once I was ahead of him and only walking an 18 minute mile and I was leaving him behind - big time. So at some point, we were just walking and that was it until the end. He kept apologizing for slowing me down, but did not tell me to go on without him.

And you know . . . that was OK. He needed the help to keep moving and I certainly got more time on my feet.
If I was alone, I would have easily done loop 1 in 4 hours and the 2nd loop in perhaps 5 or so - slower because I was getting tired AND THE CREAMY MUD here and there. Honestly, most of the route was dry and ok. Sadly, Chad really thinks he can gain more "base" in the next 4 weeks and do the whole 100. Not happening. I will not run with him at the race and he will be OK with that. I will just tell him I need to go at my own pace. I felt that all the extra walking, when I was still able to run, made the 2nd loop more wearisome, not easier. One ankle was hurting - a little - and it felt MUCH better when running. So . . . it is all good and I will do at least one more 20+ mile run before the race and more medium length extended walk/hikes.

And pray - BIG TIME - for dry weather on April 20 - 21. With 300 runners, if it is muddy, we will churn up parts of the route. But now I am more confident that - mud or not - I can get 50 miles in. These 4 weeks will zoom by. Let's go!

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Well done, Charles! Here's to a successful 50-miler in a month.

(I agree that the RD's hopes of bagging 100 seems unrealistic at best.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm

The guy I mentioned is not one of the race directors actually - maybe I did not make that clear.
I did hear back from a RD about my concern for this runner.
He said there were very aware of his condition and will be watching out for him.
But they will be watching everyone to see if anyone needs to be pulled for safety sake.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 8 Empty IT 100 Runner Stats

Post  charles.moman Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 pm

I pulled all of this info from the registration list and compiled the following about the 177 100-mile runners at the inaugural Indiana Trail 100 (the 100-mile option registration is now closed, but the 50 is still open):

Men - 137 Women - 40

Average age of the 177 runners is 43.88

Total runners in age groups:
23 - 29 = 12
30 - 39 = 47
40 - 49 = 62
50 - 59 = 44
60 - 67 = 12

Runner numbers by states:
Indiana - 64
Michigan - 26
Illinois - 22
Ohio - 18
New York - 9
Kentucky - 8
Missouri - 4
Wisconsin - 4
Pennsylvania - 3
CO, GA, DE, TN, TX, IA - 2 each
OR, MS, AZ, WA, FL, VA, SC - 1 each
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Just not much running this week - that 33+ last Saturday took it out of me.
My longest run ever. Running
One ankle is still just a little touchy - only going our for 30 minutes or so at a time.
Otherwise, I feel just fine - no soreness or other problems - just the ankle that was stressed a lot last week.
I really think it would have been better for it, if I had run more and not walked with Chad.

I may try 5 - 10 miles tomorrow.
At this point, time for base building is over - well for me at least.
I think I need to get in some 10 milers and maybe one longer before taper - the race is just three weeks from tomorrow. I have what I have and at this point I do not want to risk an injury. A run of 20 or over would probably be counterproductive for me.

I was pleased last week during my 50k, that the ankle never hurt during the run - after, yes some.
I will do my best to get 50-miles within the "official" time limit of 15 hours and I think I can.
But if not, I will get it done whenever and see what more I can squeeze in before noon on Sunday.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Take your time, Charles as there is no rush.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Take your time, Charles as there is no rush.

Agreed. Consider yourself in your taper already, after that extra-long training run. Hay's in the barn. Don't accidentally burn it down by doing too much now.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:55 pm

So you are saying I should not do a barnburner of a workout before the big event? Laughing
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am

I'm feeling confident that you can get your 50 miles in during the time allotted, if you are smart at the beginning. I know you are disciplined, but try not to change your plans mid course. Maybe have a plan written down on your hand or attached like a pace band. I'm so looking forward to a successful go at this and the triumphant glee expressed in your race report!! Taper, taper, taper!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:21 am

Excellent advice and already a part of my plan.
There will be 177 100-milers and 116 50-milers at the start on April 20.
I am quite sure, with the excitement, that many - who shouldn't - will go out a little or a lot too fast.
The mantra at ultras - for most folks - is go out slow and then slow down.

We will be in the dark for a short time with our 6:00 AM start - sunrise will be 6:55 - so that will slow folks down. I have seriously thought about starting in the back and as soon as we hit the trail, walk for 5 minutes and let the pack go away. Then I would start my first run/walk sequence at MY pace. I assume that eventually I will catch up with a few slower folks and maybe pass a few. : )

At the North Country 50-miler last August, I made a small chart with A, B & C goals at varying mile locations.
I laminated it with hard plastic and attached it to my Nathan vest.
I will be doing the same thing for the IT 100.

I would like to do:
Loop 1 - 4 hours
Loop 2 - 5 hours
Loop 3 - 6 hours

I will make loose time goals for each aid station, but I will not be a slave to them.
That will get me with 50 miles within the time limit of the 50-milers, but if I can't do that, I am OK with that.
After I complete 50, I plan on stopping for a rest at the Indiana Trail Runners camp at the start.
I will not go back to my cabin because I think it wold be hard to get back out there if I get too comfy.
Then I would like to go back out and get a 4th loop in the middle of the night.

I have a lot of time and I will use it.
Now I will just do enough miles to stay loose and keep motivated and in shape.
Most of the motivated and competitive runners are doing 25 - 35 mile runs this weekend.
I will go out this afternoon and do an easy 5 - 10 miles, with plenty of fast walking.
Only 3 weeks!
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Here are some stats about the 50-milers in the Indiana Trail 100/50 Inaugural Race on April 20-21
(which includes Tim Miller):

81 Men - 31 Women
Average age - 42.3
15: 23-29
26: 30-39
42: 40-49
25: 50-59
3: 60-69
1: 71

Indiana - 49
Ohio - 20
Illinois - 13
Michigan - 9
Texas - 4
Kentucky - 4
New York - 2
Colorado - 2
PA, NC, MO, NE, GA, DE, MS, CA, Canada - one each
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 am

charles.moman wrote:Here are some stats about the 50-milers in the Indiana Trail 100/50 Inaugural Race on April 20-21
(which includes Tim Miller):

81 Men - 31 Women
Average age - 42.3
15: 23-29
26: 30-39
42: 40-49
25: 50-59
3: 60-69
1: 71

Indiana - 49
Ohio - 20
Illinois - 13
Michigan - 9
Texas - 4
Kentucky - 4
New York - 2
Colorado - 2
PA, NC, MO, NE, GA, DE, MS, CA, Canada - one each

Looks like I'm the typical runner in the ITR50 but a bit older than the average bear.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:35 pm

And I am one of very few that are 60 and over in the entire event!
I probably will end up doing more miles than some who are much younger than me.
They will get sucked in with the mob on loop one and DIE! Crying or Very sad
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:15 pm

The IT 100 just became more fun for us. We had friends who were coming with us and sharing our cabin, but they bailed recently. Then my son and DIL were coming, but they can't. So I asked Tim and Wendy tonight and they will be sharing our cabin with us at the 2-weeks away IT 100!

Tim will be done fairly quickly with his 50 and Wendy plans on doing a couple of loops of pacing on Saturday night. Susie will help out at the Indiana Trail Runners camp at the start/finish line. Good times.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next