365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clawing My Way Back

+26
healdgator
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
jon c
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Tom H
Liz R
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Matt W
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
30 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Re: Clawing My Way Back

Post  Joel H Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Congrats on getting your paper to the committee...big step!

As for not running, yes summer is starting to wear on everyone...we have just been wearing it a lot longer than most.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Joel H wrote:Congrats on getting your paper to the committee...big step!

As for not running, yes summer is starting to wear on everyone...we have just been wearing it a lot longer than most.

Thanks Joel. Big big big step for me. I know. Good gosh almighty. I swear I hate Summer. It seems, for us, it is getting worse and worse. ( I am saying this as a layman, not in meteorological terms) As I grow older, the miles seem to wear on me harder during May-September of each year.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 am

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Joel H wrote:Congrats on getting your paper to the committee...big step!

Thanks Joel. Big big big step for me. I know. Good gosh almighty. I swear I hate Summer. It seems, for us, it is getting worse and worse. ( I am saying this as a layman, not in meteorological terms) As I grow older, the miles seem to wear on me harder during May-September of each year.

Agreed on your last statement. I'm sure living where it is hot a lot longer than where I live makes a big difference. I suppose that's why I run outdoors a lot as I don't want to give in to the inevitable.

Hang in there and sounds like congrats are in order. Connie (wife) finished her dissertation about ten years ago and what a process that was! I have respect for anyone who is able to complete that process! I wouldn't have the patience.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 am

Well the past few years the months of May-September have been worse than normal too. I haven't seen a drought like this in years.

I ran 12 this morning and I felt like I was taking a shower the entire time because the water never evaporated...of course that is normal right now but just ridiculous.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:24 am

Agreed on your last statement. I'm sure living where it is hot a lot longer than where I live makes a big difference. I suppose that's why I run outdoors a lot as I don't want to give in to the inevitable.

Hang in there and sounds like congrats are in order. Connie (wife) finished her dissertation about ten years ago and what a process that was! I have respect for anyone who is able to complete that process! I wouldn't have the patience.[/quote]

Yeah, the dissertation is a bugga boo. I do hate it, but at least there is some sort of light there. My wife is ABD in Pyschology. She absolutely hates her dissertation. In fact, she is changing her topic to something easier ( like there is an EASIER). Our dissertation coach ( we share one..a must by the way to keep you on task) is trying to motivate her. She is out until September ( by I have a feeling she might extend it to March 2012), but still is so hateful of it, it is scary. LOL. As far as me, I am still hoping to defend December 2012. The wife, halfway serious, asked me yesterday, "can you defend next summer?". I am thinking, nope, but who knows. Runningwise, I am tired. I gave up my morning run to get a total 9 miler today. I know I will struggle, but at least I know I will be semi stronger for it in the fall. Outdoors here is the pits. I am not going to kill myself. LOL. I do respect those that do though.

Last edited by Michael Mitchell on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Worse?

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:25 am

Joel H wrote:Well the past few years the months of May-September have been worse than normal too. I haven't seen a drought like this in years.

I ran 12 this morning and I felt like I was taking a shower the entire time because the water never evaporated...of course that is normal right now but just ridiculous.

Yeah I know. I swear it is getting worse. Well, I can tell you that we MIGHT, just might be having more in the way of tropical mischief next weekend. That should shake folks up.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty And The Hits Just Keep On Comin'

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am

&&

.CLIMATE...
THROUGH JULY 21ST...IT IS THE THIRD WARMEST JULY ON RECORD FOR
HOUSTON (86.9)...COLLEGE STATION (87.9 - TIED) AND HOUSTON
HOBBY (86.3). GALVESTON IS CURRENTLY ENDURING IT`S SECOND WARMEST
(86.Cool JULY ON RECORD. 43

I hate summer......sheesh....
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty I Hate Summer

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 am

I hate it. I just do. Every year gets worse. Yestersday's run was a sauna. A virtual sauna. I did enjoy watching the Monaco Track Meet. Not sure what happened, but Solinsky gets run or tripped into the bushes and Rupp goes down in the 5,000 meters. Great job to Lagat. 12:53 for an American record. Mo Farah is on fire. Fire, folks. The World Championships will be a doozy. Now, back to my run. Yesterday was a 7:53 pace the whole way for 5 miles. I am just tired this week. This morning was a sauna too. At 9 am, a sauna. I started at a 7:53 pace and get this, the last 10 minutes was at a 7:24 pace. Yes, 7:24 pace. We are getting there. 37:53 for 5 miles. I have 27 miles this week. Will try to do 7-9 this afternoon. I have 45 bike miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:06 pm

You're paces are looking great, especially in this insane weather. As bad as we're getting slammed in the northeast, it's mild compared to what you're getting down in TX. It looks like you won't see a break from the 90's for the foreseeable future.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Welcome To The Sauna

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:You're paces are looking great, especially in this insane weather. As bad as we're getting slammed in the northeast, it's mild compared to what you're getting down in TX. It looks like you won't see a break from the 90's for the foreseeable future.

Let me see...from the 90's..barring a tropical system or gulf interference, I would say...last of September...that is when we get our first real taste of fall. Now, I will say that we have had dry fronts that come through during the first week of September that will make it comfortable outside, but still hot....thanks for the encouragement. I really need it. When I am running, it is like I cannot breathe. LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Finally Figuring It Out

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Now we are coming back. Took two swigs of Powerade, but otherwise good. Some of the miles (3 and 4 were at a 7:19 pace. I am slowly coming back. Not too bad. The legs were a little weak, but that is to be expected. I am pleased. 52:06 for 7 miles, 7:27 pace. It was hot though. Goodness. Well, I am off to take my little one to the ENT. I have 7 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Battlin' Week

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:31 pm

I call this week the battling week. I am battling heat and humidity. This is rough, but I am slowly ( and I mean slowly )acclimating to this. It did not help that I was hurt for most of July. I remember it took a week to get acclimated to this last year. I am hoping Friday's run will be so much easier. I am watching my fluid intake during the runs as well. By the way, most of the run was at a 7:24 pace, so that is a positive. I ran a 52:05 for 7 miles. I have 14 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Tree Huggin Crap

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 am

I wanted to run yesterday. Was all primed to run yesterday. I could not. Why? The tree removal folks. We have a pine tree in the front yard is dead. Due to our continuing drought, the Pine Bark Beetle killed it ( Come to find out they live in the tree all the time. Only in times of drought do they hurt the tree looking for water). The HOA stated we get rid of the tree or we get fined. We asked these folks to come out at 4 pm. They showed up at 8 pm. Our toddler ( and our niece, who is a toddler) were both asleep. No chain saws then. I asked them to come back at 8 am to get the job done. Umm, it is 8:30 am and no folks. I was going to do an easy 5 miler in the morning and then tackle a 7 miler this afternoon. I am still waiting on them. Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 am

Nice job getting your paces back down to where they have been in the past. But quit your MOANING about the weather. I have been running to the Y, then running on the mill, and then running home and I have to say the running on the mill is SO MUCH EASIER than outside. However, by running on the mill the running outside has been more tolerable. Suck it up and get your miles in on the treadmill.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Univsersal Channel

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 am

Joel H wrote:Nice job getting your paces back down to where they have been in the past. But quit your MOANING about the weather. I have been running to the Y, then running on the mill, and then running home and I have to say the running on the mill is SO MUCH EASIER than outside. However, by running on the mill the running outside has been more tolerable. Suck it up and get your miles in on the treadmill.

Yeah yeah yeah. Oh well. You do know I am on vacation this week. Oh and get this. I just found out. I GET UNIVERSAL on DirecTV. I am so stoked. I just set to record the Diamond League events. Woo Hoo.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:35 am

Is it really going to RAIN Saturday!!??? Please say yes. I will go run in it, I will be so excited.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Rain?

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Liz R wrote:Is it really going to RAIN Saturday!!??? Please say yes. I will go run in it, I will be so excited.

I am thinking so. Don will bring at least a huge rain shield ( look at the radar) to your area. I think this will give you enhanced chances for the Austin/San Antonio area. After what you all have been through, this is a partial Godsend. The only problem is that it will not eliminate or make a serious dent in your drought. I think there are many more chances down the road for us all in Texas to get rain.

From a meteorologist in the Houston area on San Antonio's chances:

I doubt you will see much in the way of wind...but 2" sounds about right...maybe more.Landfall is tricky now that it decided to reform a little to the south. Since I've been sticking with landfall around Port Lavaca...I guess I will now pull it down Corpus/Brownsville...but will have to wait and see what it decides to do now that it has some convection wrapped all the way around.

Last edited by Michael Mitchell on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Mother Nature And Her Boy Summer

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:20 pm

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. There, that is better. Well, I found out something today. I can run in the heat, but not the humidity. I finally realized that. The dehumidifier must stay on. That one is the one that kills. Well, I have fixed that now, but not before a "Godawful" run today. It was rough. It was all I could do to keep pace. Goodness. Since the tree removal guys never showed up yesterday, I was stuck not running. I have an easy 5 miler tomorrow and we will try to tackle a 7 miler tomorrow afternoon. Eventually, I will get acclimated to this. I ran a 52:30 for 7 miles and 21 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 pm

I hear you on your HATE! I have also found that I can run in the heat that doesn't effect that much. Were the problem comes in is the humidity and dew point. It is almost like when those two numbers are high I feel as if I can't breath and that there is no life in my legs.

Now that you have figured it out the hard way I hope you start to see some better runs in the future. Glad to see everything else is feeling good again.

If I may ask and please excuse my not knowing but what is "Diamond League events"?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Hoping

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Schuey wrote:I hear you on your HATE! I have also found that I can run in the heat that doesn't effect that much. Were the problem comes in is the humidity and dew point. It is almost like when those two numbers are high I feel as if I can't breath and that there is no life in my legs.

Now that you have figured it out the hard way I hope you start to see some better runs in the future. Glad to see everything else is feeling good again.

If I may ask and please excuse my not knowing but what is "Diamond League events"?

I am hoping too. Good Lord I could not breathe today. I literally could not breathe. I am thinking August maybe a struggle....September may bring a glimmer of hope. Diamond League? Yeah, that is the league of track meets in Europe and the United States.

http://www.iaaf.org/
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Schuey wrote:I hear you on your HATE! I have also found that I can run in the heat that doesn't effect that much. Were the problem comes in is the humidity and dew point. It is almost like when those two numbers are high I feel as if I can't breath and that there is no life in my legs.

I am hoping too. Good Lord I could not breathe today. I literally could not breathe. I am thinking August maybe a struggle....September may bring a glimmer of hope. Diamond League? Yeah, that is the league of track meets in Europe and the United States.

Yeah I was just telling myself that I still have one more month August which is normally I worst month. I know it is not as bad as what you guys get but still. Been one crazy sumer.

Oh thanks for the explanation on the Diamond League, I guess I should have known that. That is cool that you get that! Thanks for the link also.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Schuey wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:

Yeah I was just telling myself that I still have one more month August which is normally I worst month. I know it is not as bad as what you guys get but still. Been one crazy sumer.

Oh thanks for the explanation on the Diamond League, I guess I should have known that. That is cool that you get that! Thanks for the link also.

Yep, sure. Now you all can watch online too ( go to letsrun.com and they usually give free links to watch. I think that there is one this Friday.). As far as we are concerned, August is really hot month. With our drought, we are looking at 100+ temperatures for next week. September ( first part) gives us a dry front that will get rid of the humidity, but not the heat. We do not get our first "bona fide" cool front until September 25-26. That usually cools us off. Now if you want cold cold, mid October...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. There, that is better. Well, I found out something today. I can run in the heat, but not the humidity. I finally realized that. The dehumidifier must stay on. That one is the one that kills. Well, I have fixed that now, but not before a "Godawful" run today. It was rough. It was all I could do to keep pace. Goodness. Since the tree removal guys never showed up yesterday, I was stuck not running. I have an easy 5 miler tomorrow and we will try to tackle a 7 miler tomorrow afternoon. Eventually, I will get acclimated to this. I ran a 52:30 for 7 miles and 21 miles this week.

I don't think we have it near as bad as you do temperature and humidity wise, but I have to agree that it gets sort of old sometimes. Then again, it is what it is and, like you, the heat is not going anywhere anytime soon. Sometimes it feels like I'm putting out a strong effort for a mediocre result, but I guess that must be normal. Keep up the good work and don't let it beat on you too much! By the way, a 7:30 pace in that mess was a really strong run!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 10 Empty Treadmill Running=Outside Running?

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't think we have it near as bad as you do temperature and humidity wise, but I have to agree that it gets sort of old sometimes. Then again, it is what it is and, like you, the heat is not going anywhere anytime soon. Sometimes it feels like I'm putting out a strong effort for a mediocre result, but I guess that must be normal. Keep up the good work and don't let it beat on you too much! By the way, a 7:30 pace in that mess was a really strong run![/quote]

Remember, I do run inside, but the beatup is just the same. There are some on here that do not feel I am really running ( yeah, tell that to the over 300+ people I beat October 30, 2010. I beat them...LOL) or I have it easy ( I running upstairs on a treadmill in 80 degree heat). I feel what you all feel too. It is the same, for I have run outside in this mess. I chose not to. Thanks for the encouraging words. It was tough. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 pm

You I know that it is just as tough if not at times tougher running on the treadmill. When winter leaves us in Chicago I get outside as much as I can because I enjoy it. There is no doubt the treadmill will have you ready to race if you put the training in. My first sub 3 and sub 2:50 was done with 90% of the training done on the treadmill at that was for Boston.

So I'm with you on with on the treadmill and I also laugh at some who think that running on the treadmill doesn't give you the same benefits. Running is running and fitness is fitness no matter if it is on a treadmill or running outside.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next