365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clawing My Way Back

+26
healdgator
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
jon c
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Tom H
Liz R
Seth Harrison
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Matt W
Jerry
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
30 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Re: Clawing My Way Back

Post  Liz R Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:47 am

I am just jealous. I have been staying off the tm this summer because I think it aggravates my hip problem. So that means running outside during record high temps. Ugh.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 am

Running on a treadmill is easier (heat/humidity wise) than running outside no matter what you say man...I have done both all week and I have to say running outside is worse...not by much but it is still worse. However, I agree with Schuey, that running is running and fitness is fitness. I know I couldn't beat you in a race right now but I still won't stop giving you hell about the treadmill. I definitely see its usefulness but I am still going to run outside more than I will run on the treadmill.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:21 am

At the end of the day, who really cares? I agree that running is running - one of the reasons I run more outside is because of triathlon stuff and the fact that I have an event late September that I'm training for - but the run portion won't start until probably close to noon and it can be pushing 90. I think those that run on the mills are pretty mentally tough! I'll do it when I have to, but I have a hard time with it. I hate the feeling when it seems like you've run about 15 minutes or so and you look at your watch to see 4 minutes have gone by! Anyway, running on a mill in 80 degrees isn't ideal either!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Time?

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 am

Joel H wrote:Running on a treadmill is easier (heat/humidity wise) than running outside no matter what you say man...I have done both all week and I have to say running outside is worse...not by much but it is still worse. However, I agree with Schuey, that running is running and fitness is fitness. I know I couldn't beat you in a race right now but I still won't stop giving you hell about the treadmill. I definitely see its usefulness but I am still going to run outside more than I will run on the treadmill.

That is cool. I understand. To each his own. I just do not have the time to run outside. I really do not. My hours to run are between 4-5 pm every day. That is it. Now, as my son grows older, it will get a little easier, but right now ( him at 30 months), I have this as my option. I know you say, "You can do it in the morning outside". I could, but unfortunately, I like my sleep. There are many in the running community that feel that running on a treadmill is not running. I totally disagree with that. If you go to the Runner's World site, there are some that feel if you run on a treadmill, you are cheating. Again, why they feel you must kill yourself outside during this extreme heat, I have no idea. Oh and one more thing. Next week, Houston, highs are forecast at 101 and more. Again, I am not stupid. I like life. I will get to a 40 in the 10K this year. Thanks for hearing me out. Liz, I hear ya. Hang in there.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:29 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:At the end of the day, who really cares? I agree that running is running - one of the reasons I run more outside is because of triathlon stuff and the fact that I have an event late September that I'm training for - but the run portion won't start until probably close to noon and it can be pushing 90. I think those that run on the mills are pretty mentally tough! I'll do it when I have to, but I have a hard time with it. I hate the feeling when it seems like you've run about 15 minutes or so and you look at your watch to see 4 minutes have gone by! Anyway, running on a mill in 80 degrees isn't ideal either!

\

I know. Sometimes it does really tear my mind up. That is why I have my music programmed at 8 minute intervals and the television going. Even that does not always work when one cannot a) breathe and b) sweating so bad it is ridiculous. I agree that for a hot weather triathlon, you may not have a choice. For me, I will not even think of running outside until maybe late August. The Lake Houston 10K is August 27 this year and last year I ran a 46:30 in horrible conditions, I am not even sure what it will be like this year. With temperatures averaging around 81 in the morning, why even try. I do know I have the Monster Mash 10K in October and last year, the temperature was 47 at the gun start. That, I can live with. Yeah, 80. That is the temperature. Yesterday, it was cooler upstairs (77), but the humidity was so bad I could not breathe. With the dehumidifier going, it is 80. So, I can live with the heat and not the humidity.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:30 am

Treadmill running IS running, especially on the mental side of it. You have to be mentally tough to run as much as you do on the treadmill. I just haven't built up that mental toughness I guess...or is it just my own stubborness. I joined the Y to get away from this horrible heat, so I agree with you there as well. I am not disagreeing with you.

I totally hear you on the time constraints man (and it does get easier the older they get) but if you chose to you could run outside, but like you said, to each his own.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Indeed

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:52 am

Joel H wrote:Treadmill running IS running, especially on the mental side of it. You have to be mentally tough to run as much as you do on the treadmill. I just haven't built up that mental toughness I guess...or is it just my own stubborness. I joined the Y to get away from this horrible heat, so I agree with you there as well. I am not disagreeing with you.

I totally hear you on the time constraints man (and it does get easier the older they get) but if you chose to you could run outside, but like you said, to each his own.

Indeed. Indeed. It will get easier, I think. Like right now. I am on vacation, such as it is. The wife has two patients she is seeing in the 9 am and 10 am hours. I have my son with me now. I know he will give me at least 40 minutes. Well, I have an easy morning run (39:30 progged for today) scheduled and a 7 miler today. Within that timeframe, I can throw in 5 miles while he is watching a movie. So it does work, at times. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Best Laid Plans

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am

I wanted to run a 39:30. I really did. Interruptions forced my continue the pace downward to a 7:24 pace. It was hot. Yes. It was humid. Yes. At least I could semi-breathe. Wow, that is an accomplishment. 5 miles at 37:55 and I am ready for today's 7 mile run. I do know my soleus are tight, but nothing that ART cannot handle. I have a busy schedule today, so the run may not take place until 5 pm. I have 26 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Heat Hurts

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:01 pm

1:02:15 for 8 miles. This includes a 52:15 7 miler. I am tired. It was hot (81 degrees) and I was suffering the whole way. Maybe my YMCA runs next week will produce something better. I sure hope so. Some of my miles were at a 7:24 pace. A glimmer of hope, I suppose. Next week it will be exceedingly hot. Lovely. I ran a 47:30 for 6 miles last night to give me a grand total of 40 miles this week. I am back to the 40 mile level and 7:30 level. Those are two positives in an otherwise rough week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Texas: Come Fry With Us

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 pm

Yep. Dear Lord. This is just Houston..Dallas, San Antonio and Austin will be hotter...

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 76. South wind between 5 and 10 mph becoming calm.

Monday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Heat index values as high as 105. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph.

Monday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 78. South wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 101. Heat index values as high as 105. Calm wind becoming south between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 78. South wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 78.

Thursday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 78.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 99.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 77.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 77.

Sunday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100.

I hate Summer
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:26 pm

I hear you about the summer thing - we aren't close to the end either. Good job on your recent runs - 7:24 pace during a 7-miler was really good!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Thank You Sir

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:I hear you about the summer thing - we aren't close to the end either. Good job on your recent runs - 7:24 pace during a 7-miler was really good!

Thank you. Today is a 7:30 pace pure and simple. Oh one thing I forgot to take. My Zyrtec. Just fixed that right now. I will hydrate during the day, GU 10 minutes before the run and knock this one out. I am not seeing anything that might even give us a glimmer of hope until Labor Day.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Ugh. I need a trip to California.

Hey, I heard that the NFL eliminated two a days. True? Think it will trickle down? No football players at my house this year, but xc runs two a days.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Liz R wrote:Ugh. I need a trip to California.

Hey, I heard that the NFL eliminated two a days. True? Think it will trickle down? No football players at my house this year, but xc runs two a days.

Yeah, they are two a days at my high school and when I was in cross country as well. This week will be really bad Liz and we are Southerners.We are supposed to be able to handle this, but dadgum... Not sure, but I think the NFL did cancel them. Oh by the way, the Cowboys are in camp in your backyard.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Texas: Where Tropical Storms Fear To Come

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh I just had to do that. With happened to Don, it is almost comical on how much the High Pressure Ridge of Death has just be brutal to Texas. It just swallowed Don up. We ( Houston) had more rain than where Don made his "landfall". Wow. It just vaporized. The running. Good God it was humid. Man oh man. This was a sweat box run. Goodness gracious. I swear. It was so humid at the YMCA. I realize that it is better than running outside, but wow. Tomorrow should be a lot better. The was even paced 7:30 throughout. 7.35 miles in 55 minutes. Not too shabby. I think I am running at 12 noon tomorrow for I have interviews all morning. I have 7 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 am

Less humid today.

I have always wanted to go see the Cowboys practice here. They have a day off today due to the new collective bargaining agreement.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Cowboys

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 am

Liz R wrote:Less humid today.

I have always wanted to go see the Cowboys practice here. They have a day off today due to the new collective bargaining agreement.

Really, I did not know that about the agreement. Interesting. Yeah, the humidity, such as it is, will decrease as the temperature increases. Watch out for Wednesday Liz, it will be a scorcher. It sorta moderates as the week progresses, if moderates is the correct term. Still very hot.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty Squeezing It In

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 am

I have interviews from 9 am to 11 am today, with the 11 am to 12 pm being the decision hour for a candidate. Fortunately, I am with two of my favorite people ( my dean and president), so this will be short, quick and right. LOL. I am thinking I can squeeze in my 7 miler from 12:30 to 1:30 pm today, with my three hour meeting commencing at 2 pm to 5 pm. I will give you details as they warrant, but the run should be good today.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:07 am

Somebody keeps forgetting to turn off the gulf moisture as it has been clear up here in Nebraska for the last month. Not as long as you all of course. I saw a reading here yesterday from NOAA website at about 2:30 of 97/82 for a 116 HI. Most of the afternoon the HI was around 110.

As you said, at some point a person has to prioritize their time. Seems like I run out of time some days as well. Keep doing what you can.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Clawing My Way Back - Page 11 Empty It Is Bad

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:22 am

jon c wrote:Somebody keeps forgetting to turn off the gulf moisture as it has been clear up here in Nebraska for the last month. Not as long as you all of course. I saw a reading here yesterday from NOAA website at about 2:30 of 97/82 for a 116 HI. Most of the afternoon the HI was around 110.

As you said, at some point a person has to prioritize their time. Seems like I run out of time some days as well. Keep doing what you can.

Yeah, in Stillwater, OK, it was 110 yesterday. Unbelievable. On my best friend's porch yesterday, 108 ( he is just outside of Dallas). I think there will be some moderating..well some...You all will be in heater for awhile, at least until Sunday...
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 am

102 today....105 is quickly approaching, I still think we could see a 107-110 day in our near future. The rest of summer has been August, so does that mean August has to be the surface of the sun?
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 am

Michael, going back a bit in your blog, I couldn't figure out how much running you're able to do outside and how much is on the TM. Based on the temps, I don't see how you're doing much outside. I assume your midday run today will be indoors?
Anything that you're able to do outdoors is pretty impressive in that heat.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:52 am

Seth Harrison wrote:Michael, going back a bit in your blog, I couldn't figure out how much running you're able to do outside and how much is on the TM. Based on the temps, I don't see how you're doing much outside. I assume your midday run today will be indoors?

I can answer this for Michael...he runs on the treadmill ALL the time!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Michael, going back a bit in your blog, I couldn't figure out how much running you're able to do outside and how much is on the TM. Based on the temps, I don't see how you're doing much outside. I assume your midday run today will be indoors?

No outside running. I have not run outside since October 29, 2010. This is all inside running. It has varied on temperature and place. At my house, it is 80 upstairs and dry. At the YMCA, it is 75 and humid.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Joel H wrote:

I can answer this for Michael...he runs on the treadmill ALL the time!

Yes, yes I do. I am a wimp, cheater, "not a real runner" and so on...LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next