365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fresh Start to my Running Career

+13
charles.moman
Tom H
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
Jim Lentz
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
carleenp
Dave Bussard
Julie
dot520
jon c
17 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 6 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  charles.moman Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:44 am

A little video about my first real trail run on some killer hills yesterday.
As always - this one's for you Dot! : )

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 6 Empty Re: A Fresh Start to my Running Career

Post  charles.moman Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Tomorrow I am having a few runner friends join me back at Morgan Monroe Forest, near Martinsville for my "Anniversary Run". I also call it my "Charles-did-not-die-in-his-old-lady-car Run". It will be exactly a year ago tomorrow that I had my accident that crunched me a bit. Nearly all of my running friends who were there last year - at least at the beginning - will be joining me. We are doing a nice and easy 10-miler on Three Lakes Trail and then into Bloomington to eat at a Denny's. We were going to eat at the same Bedford Denny's I ate at last year before the wreck, but it would have been silly to go that far. My wife is coming and is going to hike and film around the start area while we are out. I am having door prizes and finisher medals!

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 6 Medal111

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 6 Medal210
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Nice! Wish I could be there.

I especially like the (NOT) on the 1951-2014 tombstone reference. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Very cool.  Amazing to see what progress you've been able to make in a year, Charles.  I'll try and push a bit harder in my 50k tomorrow with this date in mind.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 6 Empty A little video after the anniversary run.

Post  charles.moman Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:57 am

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:32 pm

A sweet little 12.5 miles on the roads and trails at Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge with my two pacers, Bob Siscoe and Jim Noelker yesterday . I wanted Jim to meet Bob and hear about his experiences "running" in the middle of the night at an ultra. I gave them my pacer "instructions" and I think we are all ready for the Indiana Trail 100 - 2 weeks from today. I am now in official taper mode for my 100-miler. Bob has finished the IT 100 twice and is giving up the race this year to be my primary pacer. He will do loops 4 & 6, while Jim does loop 5. I am hoping to start loop 4 around 6:30 - 7:00, loop 5 by 12 or so and then the last loop by 6 AM. Jim has never run at night or done any ultras. I have told him he will be mainly hiking in the woods with me during his loop - not a whole lot of running.

Two weeks from today I hope I am reporting my completion of 100 miles - I will certainly do all I can to get to that finish line.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:17 am

Ha!  That short little video with Susie, EXACTLY why I think she is so funny!  Can't wait to see her at the Howl!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:31 am

Well . . . here I go back to the Indiana Trail 100 this weekend.
I am SO fortunate and blessed to even be walking a year after the hit and run.
I am so much stronger - physically and more importantly - mentally to go and do this.
I have 6 16.67 mile loops to do.
I plan on doing the first three in 4-4.5 hours each. Then I will have more than 5 hours each for the last three.
I have two pacers - one will do loops 4 & 6 and the other loop 5 in the middle of the night.
We might have a little rain during the day Saturday, but it looks like it will be clear and in the 30's at night.
I am also using my run as a fundraiser for CANDLES Holocaust Museum in Terre Haute.
I went with a group from here to Auschwitz in January and I am going again in June for the summer trip.
More on that later.

So far I have raised over $7,000 and we are hoping for $10,000 - $100 a mile.
Thanks for the encouragement this past year.
I plan on going slowly and gently on the trail and cross the lone before noon on Sunday.

Runner tracking here - I am bib 63 - my age:
https://runsignup.com/Kiosk/20140/BibLookupResults?resultSetId=7827
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:49 am

Good luck out there this weekend, Charles! With what you've been through this past year, a 100-miler will feel like a walk in the park.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's going to be ridiculously difficult, emotionally fraught and utterly ridiculous.

But in spite of that -- maybe BECAUSE of that -- you'll going to get it done. Onward!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Go Charles Go!  I'll be tracking and sending as much karma as I have left west (a bunch of friends including myself are running the Toledo half, so we need a bit).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

A Fresh Start to my Running Career - Page 6 Empty 2015 IT 100

Post  charles.moman Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:33 pm

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 am

Wow!  What a great attitude!  I know 50 miles wasn't what you were hoping for but even that is pretty impressive.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 am

Swwwwwweeeeetttttt!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:03 am

Again great work, Charles.  50 miles may not be what you wanted to run originally, but you are still an inspiration not only with what you have been through in the last year but also with what you did in raising awareness to the Holocaust. This is a point in our history that we cannot forget.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Nice video, Charles. It's too bad that the course got so degraded, so quickly. I can't imagine slipping and sliding my way through a loop, only to know that it's only going to be worse the next time around. You made the smart decision on calling it good at 50 miles.

I'm wondering if some off-season trail work would help eliminate some of those more treacherous mud bogs and butt-luge runs. If there only was some hyperactive retired guy who loved the race with the time to get volunteer crews organized... Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Mark - I'm betting trail work is really hindered by winter weather at least it is here in NEOh.  We do get to it, but since it is still cold and wet, it will not be until June of this year and yes, we are running on those same trails as do the horses once the stables open in a week or so.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Charles, as you know, I'm trying to get into the distance trail running.  Looking at the photos you put up for preparation the night before, I'm trying to extract what sort of gear I'll need.  Outside of headlamp (got that), hydration pack (got one but may need a new one), and Buff or many buffs (need those) what else do I need.  I have trail shoes, clothing, watches.....assorted nutritional stuff (cliff bloks, gels etc) but I'm sure I'm missing something.  I have a birthday coming up and I'd like to make a nice 'list' for someone.  Smile
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Mark - I'm betting trail work is really hindered by winter weather at least it is here in NEOh.  We do get to it, but since it is still cold and wet, it will not be until June of this year and yes, we are running on those same trails as do the horses once the stables open in a week or so.

Ohhh... they're horse trails, too? That explains a lot.

A local group has been working hard to upgrade similar trails near where I live. It's taken tons of gravel, drainage pipe and hours of volunteer labor, but our trail has been transformed from shoe-sucking mire into something that can be used year-round.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:04 pm

The IT 100 trails are not horse trails.
They work on these trails all the time, but there are low places that really cannot be changed.
I feel sorry for the race directors, but it is trail running after all - mud is part of it.
Bob and I will just hope we decent weather like last year, and if not, suck it up.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Dot:

I would suggest a handheld light with a wrist lanyard. With a headlight, you get the "cone of darkness" effect.
It just gets weird looking with a beam of light with darkness around - drives me crazy sometimes.
So I use a handheld and that gives you some more depth perception.
I also have a GoMotion light belt that you wear on your waist.
https://gomotiongear.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

Gaiters are good if there will be mud - I use a pair of Solomon that are easy to put on and take off.
Some folks use Dirty Girl brand gaiters too.

And I sometimes use one or two trekking poles - I saw lot more of them at the IT 100 this year.
I use Black Diamond that fold down.

That's all I can think of now.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks for the help, Charles.  I didn't think about what sort of light would be cast with the headlamp out in the woods.  Gaiters.....good suggestion.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 01, 2015 1:16 am

charles.moman wrote:The IT 100 trails are not horse trails.
They work on these trails all the time, but there are low places that really cannot be changed.
I feel sorry for the race directors, but it is trail running after all - mud is part of it.
Bob and I will just hope we decent weather like last year, and if not, suck it up.

That's true, but if they end up having it turn into a 100-mile "Tough Mudder" event too many times, maybe they'll have to consider moving it to a dryer time of year. (Saying this, I reveal myself as a Westerner, accustomed to dry summers. Maybe there ISN'T a dryer time of year in Indiana?)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun May 17, 2015 8:33 am

Searching around and don't seem to find a race report for the Hawthorne Half Day.  Did you do one?  Need I ask?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 am

I found these: 

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun May 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Awesome, thanks for finding those!  I'm thinking that for the 6 hour, I may not bother with a tent, just bring a chair (with umbrella) , blanket, cooler and stuff like that.  That' cool that they had a 50k sticker for the back of your medal.

Running out there this weekend, it was only in the low 70's but felt much hotter with the direct sun.  Fun times ahead.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next