365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to my Natal State

+3
Julie
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Back to my Natal State - Page 7 Empty Re: Back to my Natal State

Post  Julie Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:33 pm

My children all have very good language and vocabularly. I would suspect a combination between nurture and nature. Brian and I both read aloud a lot to them and have always spoken to them like intelligent little humans (which they are). So I would say that's their commonality. They all have excellent taste in literature, too. Smile

So, MS was just an overnight stop before actually vacationing in Pensacola, FL. One of my very dear college friends still lives there so we had a great time seeing her as well as taking the kids to the beach 3 x, having a  fun hike at a state park and visiting Fort Pickens (which I had been to a couple of times before but nobody else in my family had). We made it home safely Friday. It was a lot of driving in our not-so-reliable van. It has 189k miles but just made odd noises most of the trip. It has an appointment next week. 

Anyway right now I'm waffling about what to do next. The 50 miler is really interesting to me but getting some more states is also interesting. Right now looking at a 3 marathons in 3 days event in UT, MT, and WY in June.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 pm

My coworker got back to me this afternoon that she is available to cover for the Tulsa Marathon weekend (Nov 19-20) so I quickly signed up for that. Hoping I can do a better job at pacing, which I always used to be so good at. I think now my running involves more walking breaks and I resist walking during the early miles but just need to begin doing that. So< if I can finish that race, that will be state #15 (and marathon including 50Ks # 22) and yes, seriously considering 3 marathons in 3 days next June.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:27 am

Julie wrote:My children all have very good language and vocabularly. I would suspect a combination between nurture and nature. Brian and I both read aloud a lot to them and have always spoken to them like intelligent little humans (which they are). So I would say that's their commonality. They all have excellent taste in literature, too. Smile

So, MS was just an overnight stop before actually vacationing in Pensacola, FL. One of my very dear college friends still lives there so we had a great time seeing her as well as taking the kids to the beach 3 x, having a  fun hike at a state park and visiting Fort Pickens (which I had been to a couple of times before but nobody else in my family had). We made it home safely Friday. It was a lot of driving in our not-so-reliable van. It has 189k miles but just made odd noises most of the trip. It has an appointment next week. 

Anyway right now I'm waffling about what to do next. The 50 miler is really interesting to me but getting some more states is also interesting. Right now looking at a 3 marathons in 3 days event in UT, MT, and WY in June.
It's obvious that you invest a lot of time and energy in your kids.  They will excel in life because of it!

Glad you had a good trip to Florida...and made it back safely. Shocked

Tough race choice decisions.  I tend to overcommit...
Julie wrote:My coworker got back to me this afternoon that she is available to cover for the Tulsa Marathon weekend (Nov 19-20) so I quickly signed up for that. Hoping I can do a better job at pacing, which I always used to be so good at. I think now my running involves more walking breaks and I resist walking during the early miles but just need to begin doing that. So< if I can finish that race, that will be state #15 (and marathon including 50Ks # 22) and yes, seriously considering 3 marathons in 3 days next June.
Enjoy Tulsa.  Glad your coworker was able to cover for you!!

Three marathons in three days sounds overwhelming but I guess it's all about pace and attitude.   Running Running Running

Happy training...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:50 pm

Just quickly, will post more later, but ran Tulsa marathon yesterday. 27 degrees at start, mid to upper 40s at finish. Very big race, much bigger than I'm used to but my goal was to pace myself better (I haven't really gotten the hang of walking during a marathon since I didn't used to have to do that but right now I'm needing to) so this race ended up being almost identical overall pace as Arkansas marathon 6 weeks ago but much more even (though still not even) splits. Overall it was fun, I wish walkers would stay to the right or at least off to the side and a few times I had a hard time getting around a group of them walking abreast but overall it was a nice day.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:10 pm

Julie wrote:Just quickly, will post more later, but ran Tulsa marathon yesterday. 27 degrees at start, mid to upper 40s at finish. Very big race, much bigger than I'm used to but my goal was to pace myself better (I haven't really gotten the hang of walking during a marathon since I didn't used to have to do that but right now I'm needing to) so this race ended up being almost identical overall pace as Arkansas marathon 6 weeks ago but much more even (though still not even) splits. Overall it was fun, I wish walkers would stay to the right or at least off to the side and a few times I had a hard time getting around a group of them walking abreast but overall it was a nice day.
Glad to hear it was a fun day!  That's what it's all about.

Yes, it is frustrating when walkers...and slower runners...don't allow faster runners to pass.  They sometimes seem oblivious to what is going on around them.  

Rest up and keep us posted.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:06 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Julie wrote:Just quickly, will post more later, but ran Tulsa marathon yesterday. 27 degrees at start, mid to upper 40s at finish. Very big race, much bigger than I'm used to but my goal was to pace myself better (I haven't really gotten the hang of walking during a marathon since I didn't used to have to do that but right now I'm needing to) so this race ended up being almost identical overall pace as Arkansas marathon 6 weeks ago but much more even (though still not even) splits. Overall it was fun, I wish walkers would stay to the right or at least off to the side and a few times I had a hard time getting around a group of them walking abreast but overall it was a nice day.
Glad to hear it was a fun day!  That's what it's all about.

Yes, it is frustrating when walkers...and slower runners...don't allow faster runners to pass.  They sometimes seem oblivious to what is going on around them.  

Rest up and keep us posted.
Yeah, slow traffic is a pain.  They don't seem oblivious.  They ARE oblivious.  It's an outing for the majority of them.  

Pacing will come along.  Continued injury free running, Julie!

I hope the van is still plugging along.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:33 pm

The van got checked out but the mechanic couldn't find anything or an explanation for its weird noises. Fortunately, we took our car because the kids were home with my parents watching them, so that was one less stress. 

I've run a few shorter runs, just under 5 miles, this week. My hamstring was a little sore during the day today. It did OK during the race, though.

We had a nice Thanksgiving, just the 6 of us. My kids made a surprise Thanksgiving dinner for my parents Saturday when they watched over them so that was fun. This is not my holiday to work so it's been nice having a 4 day weekend together when we usually just have Sundays off together, or often, since I work many Saturdays at the hospital. But I do think of my patients when I run, and just feel very blessed to be able to run when so many of my patients don't even have sitting balance. So I really avoid being negative about my pace, though it's significantly slower than my pre-Eliana days, and though I'd like to get faster before next May.

Current thinking is Flying Pig (full marathon) in May and making it a family vacation. Then I did sign up for the Bear Lake challenge for 3 marathons in 3 days in May. I plan to run all 3 very slowly and maybe even look at my watch for some sort of walk-run schedule from the get-go because I have never felt like running long the day after a marathon. I think it's fairly nuts, tbh, but Brian is supportive and it's definitely more economical if I'm working on my 50 states to get 3 marathons out of one long drive. But if I do the 50 states I have to go slowly, at least this season. I don't have the budget or the time to be traveling all the time.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:39 pm

I'm so impressed with your ability to make running work for you.  With family and work obligations you have a full schedule.  I need to follow your example and worry less about fast paces and just enjoy running!

Happy Holidays and happy running!

santa Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:22 pm

Thanks Nancy! I guess it really depends on why you run. But for me, it's mostly for my mental health and my time with friends. I like running alone, too, but really value my running friends. We're a much smaller group now, many days there's just 2-3 of us, but it's good to stay connected. I would definitely like to get faster, though, now that I am getting more into running marathons after the very long break.

I'm just hanging in there. Trying to run as much as I can outdoors before it gets icy. 

I keep imagining what I'll write for my marathon race reports. The kids are almost on Christmas break then I'll have a little time to write.

Glad I live in eastern Nebraska and not western since they keep getting blizzards! We just have a few flurries this morning.

I did sign up for Flying Pig and the Bear Lake Trifecta (May 7 and then June 8-10 ish).

Eliana is very interested in the emoticons so here is her contribution to this:

Sweaty affraid Ride Dead StirPot Money Frustration
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:13 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Nancy! I guess it really depends on why you run. But for me, it's mostly for my mental health and my time with friends. I like running alone, too, but really value my running friends. We're a much smaller group now, many days there's just 2-3 of us, but it's good to stay connected. I would definitely like to get faster, though, now that I am getting more into running marathons after the very long break.

I'm just hanging in there. Trying to run as much as I can outdoors before it gets icy. 

I keep imagining what I'll write for my marathon race reports. The kids are almost on Christmas break then I'll have a little time to write.

Glad I live in eastern Nebraska and not western since they keep getting blizzards! We just have a few flurries this morning.

I did sign up for Flying Pig and the Bear Lake Trifecta (May 7 and then June 8-10 ish).

Eliana is very interested in the emoticons so here is her contribution to this:

Sweaty affraid Ride Dead StirPot Money Frustration
Writing will be natural for you.  'Hanging in there,' sometimes, is the best result.  Similar to there's no such thing as 'junk miles.'

Eliana is very good at her contribution.  My personal favorite is the bucking bronco machine.  A well timed "YEE HAW!" is appropriate upon selecting it.

Gratz on your committing to 2 marathons.  Flying Pig always seemed like a fun one that many of the old V-Team bunch do and have done.

Have a good Christmas.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:52 pm

I will try to write reports next week!
-40 windchill this a.m, about -13 actual temp but 25mph + plunged windchills to -40. It was -68 windchill in the northwest part of the state! Suffice to say I was on the treadmill yesterday and today (and I think the day before, it's all turning into an indoory blur of a week). I did open the front door to grab packages, yep that was it for today for outdoors and that was cold enough.

Flying Pig is 18 weeks from Jan 1, so I will print out a training program for that and start then. Otherwise , trying to hang out around 30-40 miles/week to keep my base up. I feel like I've pretty much recovered from Tulsa.

Sunday morning I had a really fun Christmas lights run with 5 running friends, really the only 5 of us really left and consistent. A couple have moved away, some just don't run at the same time anymore, but anyway it was fun and we stopped at a few homes that always put up a lot of lights and took a group pic. It was cold, but not as cold. I think it was 6 degrees, felt like 6 , which was more plesant than last week's feels like 6 with higher temps and higher winds.

I have no idea how to train for 3 marathons in 3 days. Internet searches are not very fruitful. I guess just try to be as healthy as I can and take them all slowly? My friend who did 2 in 2 days said she hydrated really well, ate well and stretched and such after them. She's doing 3 in 3 days starting the day before my 3, in the east coast (she's one of my running friends who left Nebraska a few years ago to move to UT).  My one friend did run 3 in 3 days but she was doing such long runs every weekend and I really don't want to run almost 26 miles every Saturday or Sunday. Sounds like a recipe for injury to me and honestly I just don't want to take that much time and energy away from my family.

Merry Christmas!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:16 am

Flying Pig is an awesome race.  Bigger than what you've been running lately, but incredibly well run (organized) and the race swag is 2nd to none.   Be advised that there is a good climb in the first 10 miles (like mile 6-10? - don't remember fully) but after that it is mostly flat and even some downhill with only one little bump around mile 23 that feels like Mt. Everest at that point.  Cincy is a nice city as well, and if you like a good "Jewish" deli, check out Izzy's downtown.  The Pig was by far one of my favorite marathons that I've done.

One of my running friends here is doing the Bear Lake Triple too.  She has been trying to get me to do it, but I'm finally running the Gary Bjorklund Half (half in conjunction with Grandma's) and I'd really like to see if I've still got a sub 1:40 in me.  Bear Lake is the weekend before, I believe - so not ideal so I cannot commit to such crazy.  Anyway, her name is Tina Hammond and I'll tell her to look for you as it cannot be a big race/races.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:05 pm

I'll be sure to look out for Tina! That's so fun. It's good to hear that other people are willing to attempt this. I've been very reticent to mention it to anyone. A few friends know but I don't want to hear that it's crazy and I really don't want to admit if I can't run all 3 (or even walk...I just want to finish).

For Flying Pig, I'm planning to not run it all out since it's just a month before the Bear Lake Triple, so I will likely just walk up the hills and be OK with that. I have heard good things about the race, so glad it's well-organized! I think it'll be a fun family trip. We plan to stop at Springfield for some Abraham Lincoln history touring. The boys will be studying the Civil War era in school starting just after vacation so it should be pretty good timing for them. 

I've been running...we had the Siberian cold before Christmas but that's long gone and things have been quite mild. I ran 14 miles last Saturday and 12 the weekend before. I am using the 50K training plan I used for the Yippee-Kai-Yay 50K in October 2021 since it uses back to back long runs and I figured that'd be good for the 3 marathons in 3 days.

Thanks for stopping by!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:45 pm

Hi Julie.  Just catching up with everything on our return.  Enjoyed the race reports...love your attitude about running.  I wish I could be a bit less competitive but that's my nature.  Your plans/goals are awesome.  Maybe crazy but that's okay.  You have figured out what you enjoy and made it fit your family so go for it!!

Happy training.  Hope the weather cooperates.  I'll be building back to my training routine and choosing my goals the next few weeks.  I should have more time to check in.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 am

As an update - Tina did indeed sign up!   So you all will have lots of fun.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:36 pm

Thanks Nancy! Welcome back. I hope your running and winter are going well!

Michele - great! Would you be willing to ask her what her training plan and strategy look like? I have a 50K plan I'm using because I thought the back to back long runs would be good, but I am hoping that is enough.

Yesterday I was going to run 14 miles in the morning because I had to work away in the afternoon (coworker tested positive for the flu) but we got freezing rain and ice. I ran for 5 miles really slowly and cautiously and crossed off a 5 mile run. Yesterday evening after work I ran 14 miles. I was really tired, and it was dark after 5 miles but I did it. This morning I ran 7 miles. So I ran 26 miles within 26 hours and am definitely tired. Tomorrow is a rest day. Oh, and the roads were fine yesterday evening. The trail is still icy because it's so shady there and also a lot of it gets run off/melted snow from the hills around it so it's just icy all winter long. I ran 3 miles on trail and the rest on sidewalks or side streets. Yesterday's high was near 40 so the freezing rain was long gone when I got off work.

5 weeks of training is down and I have barely had to use the treadmill. It's not good that we're still in this awful drought, but it does make winter running easier. And with that, my mood is much better than usual for this time of year (I find January and Feb to be pretty hard and glum, not actually depressed but approaching that most winters). So I am thankful for that!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:01 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Nancy! Welcome back. I hope your running and winter are going well!

Michele - great! Would you be willing to ask her what her training plan and strategy look like? I have a 50K plan I'm using because I thought the back to back long runs would be good, but I am hoping that is enough.

Yesterday I was going to run 14 miles in the morning because I had to work away in the afternoon (coworker tested positive for the flu) but we got freezing rain and ice. I ran for 5 miles really slowly and cautiously and crossed off a 5 mile run. Yesterday evening after work I ran 14 miles. I was really tired, and it was dark after 5 miles but I did it. This morning I ran 7 miles. So I ran 26 miles within 26 hours and am definitely tired. Tomorrow is a rest day. Oh, and the roads were fine yesterday evening. The trail is still icy because it's so shady there and also a lot of it gets run off/melted snow from the hills around it so it's just icy all winter long. I ran 3 miles on trail and the rest on sidewalks or side streets. Yesterday's high was near 40 so the freezing rain was long gone when I got off work.

5 weeks of training is down and I have barely had to use the treadmill. It's not good that we're still in this awful drought, but it does make winter running easier. And with that, my mood is much better than usual for this time of year (I find January and Feb to be pretty hard and glum, not actually depressed but approaching that most winters). So I am thankful for that!
Gratz on your 26 miles, however long it took.  How much snow is usually on the ground in an average year, which any amount I would guess is not good for running?  I noticed the trail isn't probably good for getting into a groove with partially shaded trails.

How does your healing usually go in the wintertime?  Continued success, here in the winter.

Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:34 pm

Finally found a couple minutes to stop by.  Just checking to see how training is going.  We had a couple terribly cold days last weekend and I know the cold weather headed east after it left our area.  Hope you were able to train safely...or at least keep the family warm and safe while taking a break from training.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:13 pm

Doug, since I am a numbers person, and didn't want to give you wrong information, I read that our average is 26" of snow per season. However, a few winters ago we got 55.5" (2nd highest year recorded) and last year we got 5.1" (record low). We like breaking records here. And we are on track to break last year's dry winter, which is so not good for agriculture, but great for running.  And yeah, the trails get re-freezing and they just stay icy, which is disappointing because when traffic is heavier during the day, it's nice to get on the trails. We do have a very nice trail system in Lincoln.

So, back in 2004, I was talking to an MD who saw patients at a nursing home I was working at and he told me to "go running every day, it will help put color back into your world." Without going into our whole conversation, he was the one who got me into walking, then walk-running, then running my first marathon in 2006. So, running has been very good for me, but it's not like I can go without it very long very healthfully, if that makes sense. My body and my brain really need the activity, and with the shorter days in the winter, and not getting out running, which is also a social thing for me, too, winters can be kinda rough. But nothing to the level that I was feeling before I started running in '04, if that makes sense. I just feel a ton better when I can run and it's been a huge help for my life. 

Nancy, yes when it was sub zero windchill Sunday through Tues I ran on the treadmill (or just did my PT exercises on Sunday since it was a scheduled rest day). Tomorrow is also supposed to be sub zero, I think we have a low of 4 and even a light wind takes that below zero pretty easily.

I ran 16 miles this morning, ran 5 miles with my PT friend then the rest by myself. I work Saturday and tomorrow will be colder so it seemed good to fit it in today. The following weekend I'm off, though, so I am looking forward to a Saturday long run if weather cooperates.
 So far I am on track with my training plan, just plugging away.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:32 pm

Julie wrote:Doug, since I am a numbers person, and didn't want to give you wrong information, I read that our average is 26" of snow per season. However, a few winters ago we got 55.5" (2nd highest year recorded) and last year we got 5.1" (record low). We like breaking records here. And we are on track to break last year's dry winter, which is so not good for agriculture, but great for running.  And yeah, the trails get re-freezing and they just stay icy, which is disappointing because when traffic is heavier during the day, it's nice to get on the trails. We do have a very nice trail system in Lincoln.

So, back in 2004, I was talking to an MD who saw patients at a nursing home I was working at and he told me to "go running every day, it will help put color back into your world." Without going into our whole conversation, he was the one who got me into walking, then walk-running, then running my first marathon in 2006. So, running has been very good for me, but it's not like I can go without it very long very healthfully, if that makes sense. My body and my brain really need the activity, and with the shorter days in the winter, and not getting out running, which is also a social thing for me, too, winters can be kinda rough. But nothing to the level that I was feeling before I started running in '04, if that makes sense. I just feel a ton better when I can run and it's been a huge help for my life. 

Nancy, yes when it was sub zero windchill Sunday through Tues I ran on the treadmill (or just did my PT exercises on Sunday since it was a scheduled rest day). Tomorrow is also supposed to be sub zero, I think we have a low of 4 and even a light wind takes that below zero pretty easily.

I ran 16 miles this morning, ran 5 miles with my PT friend then the rest by myself. I work Saturday and tomorrow will be colder so it seemed good to fit it in today. The following weekend I'm off, though, so I am looking forward to a Saturday long run if weather cooperates.
 So far I am on track with my training plan, just plugging away.
Thanks for the details, Julie.  That colors the landscape well.  I still enjoy running, as well, for many of your reasons.  Running in February, down here, is the best month because there's more cold weather on a consistent basis.  We've ended a 5 or so day streak where the high struggled to make 42.

I picked up weight lifting about 3 or so years ago because I've seen enough old people with poor cores and just no muscle on the frame.  I would not like to be that way.  I'll run as long as I can, but I'll lift longer.

Hope you can continue to run consistently.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:02 pm

Hello. I ended up getting, I suspect, influenza. Covid test was negative. Anyway, it made things not so easy but I'm getting energy back. We had an 11" snowfall last Thursday and the kids had so much fun. And then freezing rain this week on Wed, snow again this morning and negative windchills. So I have had a few treadmill runs. I am trying to figure out when I'll fit in my 18 miler this weekend between weather and family activities. But basically , I'm on track with the training. I've probably already mentioned it but I'm using a 50K training plan for the 3 back to back to back marathons and fit in Flying Pig as a training long run. 
I am loosely considering a fall race. But kind of want to wait until I finish all the marathons without injury. It seems like spring is supposed to come soon. I am guessing that we have few runs that will be taken indoors due to ice at this point.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:44 am

Julie wrote:Hello. I ended up getting, I suspect, influenza. Covid test was negative. Anyway, it made things not so easy but I'm getting energy back. We had an 11" snowfall last Thursday and the kids had so much fun. And then freezing rain this week on Wed, snow again this morning and negative windchills. So I have had a few treadmill runs. I am trying to figure out when I'll fit in my 18 miler this weekend between weather and family activities. But basically , I'm on track with the training. I've probably already mentioned it but I'm using a 50K training plan for the 3 back to back to back marathons and fit in Flying Pig as a training long run. 
I am loosely considering a fall race. But kind of want to wait until I finish all the marathons without injury. It seems like spring is supposed to come soon. I am guessing that we have few runs that will be taken indoors due to ice at this point.
I'm impressed that you've been able to stay on track with training while battling both sickness and winter weather!  That's dedication and commitment!

Hope the 18 miler went well.  Treadmill running is tough and while I'll tackle a short run on the treadmill, I can't handle it for longer runs.  I'd much rather battle the elements outdoors that battle the treadmill.  Running

Stay safe out there and keep us updated.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:48 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Julie wrote:Hello. I ended up getting, I suspect, influenza. Covid test was negative. Anyway, it made things not so easy but I'm getting energy back. We had an 11" snowfall last Thursday and the kids had so much fun. And then freezing rain this week on Wed, snow again this morning and negative windchills. So I have had a few treadmill runs. I am trying to figure out when I'll fit in my 18 miler this weekend between weather and family activities. But basically , I'm on track with the training. I've probably already mentioned it but I'm using a 50K training plan for the 3 back to back to back marathons and fit in Flying Pig as a training long run. 
I'm impressed that you've been able to stay on track with training while battling both sickness and winter weather!  That's dedication and commitment!

Hope the 18 miler went well.  Treadmill running is tough and while I'll tackle a short run on the treadmill, I can't handle it for longer runs.  I'd much rather battle the elements outdoors that battle the treadmill.  Running

Stay safe out there and keep us updated.
Julie must have that really stout immune system to where she doesn't get the full whammy like others.  Since she didn't mention it, but she probably didn't pass much of it to her offspring, neither.  

I am sitting here typing and trying to figure out just how much hoopla I can use to cheer you on in your back to back to back challenge.  When you're successful, it'll be something you'll always remember.  AND you'll want to do it again sometime down the road.

Hopefully, your stout immune system doesn't think much about when Spring comes and the trees and grasses sprout their pollen.  Here, it's a 5 or 6 week season and it started last week.  Pollen probably affects me some, but I've never needed to be tested and I just strike up a Spring cold and a Fall cold as just part of the transition.

Keep it going!
Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:32 pm

Just briefly regading the illness, yes my whole family got it. Brian started it with a fever, congestion, cough etc, then the rest of us all got it. I had fatigue, sore throat and bad sinus infection. But I had a couple of rest days in my training plan I could take and then I walked on the treadmill and counted those. I have been counting treadmill walks as runs since I figure I'll walk quite a bit during the marathons. That might not be the strictest way of doing it, but honestly, I'm just trying to get through winter and for some reason walking on the treadmill is much more tolerable to me than running. We did manage to get through the illness with only one missed day of school so I was happy about that.

I do take allergy meds but most pollen doesn't start til April around here. It's still below freezing nearly every night and still have days that don't go much above freezing, so basically it's still winter here, but spring is thinking about coming.

18 miler was long. I went on the trail to the crushed limestone part and it was muddy mostly and also snowy in parts so I ended up walking quite a bit. I went on Sunday afternoon when we were all home, ran 13 by myself then stopped at home to pick Jocelyn up for my last 5. My foot started hurting the last few miles so we walked quite a bit for that, too. Then rested Monday, and then 10 miles this morning. Ultra training takes  a lot of time and energy and I always question myself doing it, but if it were easy everyone would do it, right? Thanks for cheering me on! Believe it or not, I haven't shared with too many people. I just don't want to hear that it's foolish or that I can't do it. I think with walking plenty and taking my lacrosse ball for my hamstring in the evenings, I can do it. They have a super generous time cut off and I imagine that atmosphere will be quite supportive (like ultras, at least in my  experience). Also they're in 3 states I've never even visited before! Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. So that sounds fun...3 months and some days to go.

Thanks for stopping by!

And yes, Nancy, I'd sooner run back and forth a half mile or less outside, laps or loops outside than run longer than 7 miles on the treadmill, even if there's a bit of snow.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:30 pm

I'm glad y'all are all healed up.

Having swallowed early on the actual distance of a 50K, relative to a marathon, the training was just like a marathon training to me because of (as you mentioned) the generous cutoff times.  I made the uninformed decision on my first 50K that the 9 hours was more than enough.  Yet, I had to hoof it to finish the last 6 miles and finished with 15 minutes to spare.  I ran 17 and walked 14, instead of running 23+.  That taught me to register for a 50K when there's a 50 mile or 100 mile race happening on the same day for the extra long cutoff times.

Ultra races are so much more laid back than street races.  Aid stations are so helpful.

You just hang in there and enjoy the weather.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next