365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to my Natal State

+3
Julie
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Back to my Natal State - Page 8 Empty Re: Back to my Natal State

Post  Julie Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:17 pm

Yeah, I really enjoyed the three 50K's I've run. I don't know if there's a better way to train for these back to back to back marathons but it seems like the best thing I've found.

If I am able to come back in June completely un-injured, there is a 50 miler in Kansas I'm sort of interested in. However, that's a long time away, and maybe it'd be healthier for me not to?

Looking at the forecast next week and hoping the snow doesn't come. I am scheduled to run 20 miles next weekend ish (but work all day Saturday so that's out). I'd run on Friday but snow right now Thurs, Fri, and Sat, I believe, but it always is changing.

Plan to run 12 miles tomorrow and 10 on Saturday and then rest on Sunday. I need a rest day.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:08 pm

Hi Julie.  Hope training is going well and your weather has been more cooperative than ours.  I never know from one day to the next what the running conditions will be like!  We get the occasional nice spring day but more often than not the wind is howling or it's snowing.  I've managed to squeeze in all my runs or move them to a better day...except for that one treadmill run.  Tomorrow is going to be tough but Saturday looks better.

I'm pretty impressed by your ultra runs.  I find just training for a marathon tough.  I can't imagine training for anything longer...or 3 in a row!

I'm dreaming of spring weather and planting my garden.  I need to get my plants started in the greenhouse but it's hard to get motivated with snow on the ground. 

Stay safe and warm.  I'm cheering for you!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:55 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hi Julie.  Hope training is going well and your weather has been more cooperative than ours.  I never know from one day to the next what the running conditions will be like!  We get the occasional nice spring day but more often than not the wind is howling or it's snowing.  I've managed to squeeze in all my runs or move them to a better day...except for that one treadmill run.  Tomorrow is going to be tough but Saturday looks better.

I'm pretty impressed by your ultra runs.  I find just training for a marathon tough.  I can't imagine training for anything longer...or 3 in a row!

I'm dreaming of spring weather and planting my garden.  I need to get my plants started in the greenhouse but it's hard to get motivated with snow on the ground. 

Stay safe and warm.  I'm cheering for you!
We're into our 3rd week of pollen season.  I am fortunate that I don't knowingly have any allergies to combat.  Oak is the big contributor down here.  That and pine tree pollen keeps the cars with a nice shade of yellow on them from the pollen.  I think it's a good guess that Spring will come for y'all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:44 pm

Just quickly updating : maybe a month ago I was having some pain outside of my knee, I think a tendon? Anyway it was the week I was scheduled to run 24 miles. I decided then to switch plans to a regular old marathon plan without all the 20+ runs because avoiding injury is more needful for me at this point. I have been doing OK. Still plan to run Flying Pig on May 7 and then the 3 in June. Then I joke about those being my last marathons but I do think I'll need some sort of break. If not for my knees and feet and everything, than just for the rest of me. I would like some time to just get up and run and not have to think about so many long runs for awhile.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue May 09, 2023 3:16 pm

Back from Flying Pig. It was a tough race. All day Saturday I thought they'd probably cancel due to thunderstorms and then even Sunday morning was pretty sure I wouldn't be running. By mile 6 or so I finally decided they probably wouldn't call it off then later heard that they had some groups shelter in place for 10 minutes. Anyway, they got an inch of rain that morning so it was a torrential downpour and huge lightning across the sky behind and before. I thought most of the hills were in the first 8 miles but maybe they just meant the really bad ones? Because I felt a hill just before mile 26 and really the whole race seemed like up and down hills. But I did it. It was about 70 degrees with 83 percent humidity at the end but I guess the perk of all the rain was that it wasn't really hot till towards the end. 

I'll probably write more later, but I am back, our van hit 193K miles this morning, and it's good to be home.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 10, 2023 10:37 pm

Julie wrote:Back from Flying Pig. It was a tough race. All day Saturday I thought they'd probably cancel due to thunderstorms and then even Sunday morning was pretty sure I wouldn't be running. By mile 6 or so I finally decided they probably wouldn't call it off then later heard that they had some groups shelter in place for 10 minutes. Anyway, they got an inch of rain that morning so it was a torrential downpour and huge lightning across the sky behind and before. I thought most of the hills were in the first 8 miles but maybe they just meant the really bad ones? Because I felt a hill just before mile 26 and really the whole race seemed like up and down hills. But I did it. It was about 70 degrees with 83 percent humidity at the end but I guess the perk of all the rain was that it wasn't really hot till towards the end. 

I'll probably write more later, but I am back, our van hit 193K miles this morning, and it's good to be home.
Gratz on the notching another marathon, Julie!  I guess the knee behaved itself enough to finish the race and let you nurse it back home.

Being a flatlander, I learned my lesson that 'mostly flat' in a course description is usually in the eyes of the local resident writing the description and used to the topography.

I love a cloudy race.  Treat yourself and your knees to something enjoyable...3 or 4 times.  One of my cars has 193,388 miles on it.

Gratz again, Julie!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri May 12, 2023 4:55 pm

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/despite-weather-flying-pig-marathon-continues

News article about the weather

Thanks Doug! Definitely learned that hilly or flat are relative terms. I remember running Pensacola Marathon in 2008 and a guy said "there are 2 more just like that hill!" and I though, oh that was a hill, I'm good then. 

Yeah, my knee was only mildly sore during the race, hamstrings were a little tight. I'm really not running normally yet but want to really recover before my triple marathon event (I still can't believe I'm doing it, maybe more now than ever). I walked Wednesday, walked with a little running yesterday, and walked today.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 16, 2023 10:54 pm

Julie wrote:https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/despite-weather-flying-pig-marathon-continues

News article about the weather

Thanks Doug! Definitely learned that hilly or flat are relative terms. I remember running Pensacola Marathon in 2008 and a guy said "there are 2 more just like that hill!" and I though, oh that was a hill, I'm good then. 

Yeah, my knee was only mildly sore during the race, hamstrings were a little tight. I'm really not running normally yet but want to really recover before my triple marathon event (I still can't believe I'm doing it, maybe more now than ever). I walked Wednesday, walked with a little running yesterday, and walked today.
Well, I'm glad you...and the other runners...made it through the storm safely.

Hills are interesting.  The "Oregon Beef Hill" is on one of my local routes.  I find it daunting.  It's not actually a big hill but it was on one of the first routes I ran when I started running in 2007 and it was daunting then...and I haven't been able to kick that thought.  I can handle rolling hills much better than a long continuous hill. 

Hope you're continuing to recover.  You definitely want to start the triple marathon event healthy.  And for what it's worth I can't believe you're doing it either.   Laughing

Happy training.  Keep us updated.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed May 17, 2023 7:01 pm

thanks Nancy. I was silly enough to think the rolling hills I encounter regularly would be enough or that just walking up the hills would be enough. Then again, I stand by my decision to call it a training run for the triple marathon so I'm not really regretting anything.

https://findmymarathon.com/index.php

I found this a few days ago, and I have to say, it's so much better than marathonguide.com 

In 3 weeks we should be in Idaho! My parents are staying with the kids so hopefully everyone does well together. Trying to think of what would be good to eat. We'll pack our own food and even if we were eating-out sort of people, it would do no good since it's very rural. Marathons are June 8, 9, and 10. Then drive a ton on Sunday and probably some on Monday unless Brian is feeling really not-bored with it all and we can get it all done in a day.

ETA: Ran 7.6 yesterday and 7.9 today. Rest tomorrow. Running Friday because a friend who used to live here is back for the weekend then Saturday will run sorta long. Then I really do need to do a taper of sorts I guess.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 17, 2023 11:11 pm

Julie wrote:thanks Nancy. I was silly enough to think the rolling hills I encounter regularly would be enough or that just walking up the hills would be enough. Then again, I stand by my decision to call it a training run for the triple marathon so I'm not really regretting anything.

https://findmymarathon.com/index.php

I found this a few days ago, and I have to say, it's so much better than marathonguide.com 

In 3 weeks we should be in Idaho! My parents are staying with the kids so hopefully everyone does well together. Trying to think of what would be good to eat. We'll pack our own food and even if we were eating-out sort of people, it would do no good since it's very rural. Marathons are June 8, 9, and 10. Then drive a ton on Sunday and probably some on Monday unless Brian is feeling really not-bored with it all and we can get it all done in a day.

ETA: Ran 7.6 yesterday and 7.9 today. Rest tomorrow. Running Friday because a friend who used to live here is back for the weekend then Saturday will run sorta long. Then I really do need to do a taper of sorts I guess.
I do like find my marathon.  I've used it for a while.  I order the wrist bands...the pacing is based in the hills.   Very Happy

You've done the work so do enough to keep from getting stale but don't over do it.  And most importantly do have fun!  You are a great role model for your kids!!

Enjoy your Friday run with a friend.  I used to do everything solo but am starting to really appreciate having a friend join me now and then.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri May 19, 2023 9:45 pm

Thanks Nancy! Most of my runs are with friends, I just wanted to make sure I saw this one who moved to UT a few years ago (but she's talking of possibly moving back since she has family here so who knows....I concluded years ago that the only reason people live in Nebraska is due to family though I love it).

How cool to have pacing bands to reflect the hills! I did write down my splits from Flying Pig. I will post them if I remember. Funny to say I think my fastest or 2nd fastest mile was 25 but that was probably downhill....

I think I will not run long tomorrow, just sorta medium to short. My hip was a little sore just walking around the house today.  in 22 days the 3 marathons will be over. I really really hope I can pull all 3 of them off.

Thanks for stopping by.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Nancy! Most of my runs are with friends, I just wanted to make sure I saw this one who moved to UT a few years ago (but she's talking of possibly moving back since she has family here so who knows....I concluded years ago that the only reason people live in Nebraska is due to family though I love it).

How cool to have pacing bands to reflect the hills! I did write down my splits from Flying Pig. I will post them if I remember. Funny to say I think my fastest or 2nd fastest mile was 25 but that was probably downhill....

I think I will not run long tomorrow, just sorta medium to short. My hip was a little sore just walking around the house today.  in 22 days the 3 marathons will be over. I really really hope I can pull all 3 of them off.

Thanks for stopping by.
3 marathons is quite a goal.  I'll be cheering you on during your last 3 weeks of training/tapering and during your events.

I'm especially impressed by your willingness to listen to your body and shorten up your planned long run.  I would try to gut it out...your willingness to adjust is probably more healthy!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:57 pm

Thanks Nancy! We head out tomorrow morning. I'll try to update here. My parents are staying with our kids. I have 2 prs of running shoes packed so I can alternate and also keep dry since it's supposed to rain 2 of the days. I really really hope I can report that I completed all 3 of them.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:06 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Nancy! We head out tomorrow morning. I'll try to update here. My parents are staying with our kids. I have 2 prs of running shoes packed so I can alternate and also keep dry since it's supposed to rain 2 of the days. I really really hope I can report that I completed all 3 of them.
Good luck!  And don't forget to have fun!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:09 pm

Thanks Nancy!
Brian is driving us now. We'll see how far we get but long story short I did it! Ran Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah in 3 consecutive days. I've been awake since 1130 last night so I was definitely not optimistic about today but had friends texting and also praying for me and Brian was a great support. Last night they changed the Utah course due to a. Excavator blocking access to the route which would have been a danger so we did a really odd finger, straight bit , 2 loops , straight bit, 2 loops back on the straight bit bike path.

I'll write more later but today's miles were mostly not marked but it was sort of fun to have someone tell me I had hit mile 16 when I had no clue since 13....aid volunteers were great and by the 3rd day (today) I told a boy he knew what I wanted and he said "your water bottle refilled!" A lot of the 50ish marathoners ran all 3 days so that was fun to get to know or at least recognize many of them. It was about 6000 feet altitude and I live at 1100 so that was a challenge. Anyway thanks for the support! I'm really happy I got it done because I really didn't know what to expect. Definitely required a level of mental stamina to get up to run another marathon on the 2nd and 3rd day.

Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:20 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Nancy!
Brian is driving us now. We'll see how far we get but long story short I did it! Ran Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah in 3 consecutive days. I've been awake since 1130 last night so I was definitely not optimistic about today but had friends texting and also praying for me and Brian was a great support. Last night they changed the Utah course due to a. Excavator blocking access to the route which would have been a danger so we did a really odd finger, straight bit , 2 loops , straight bit, 2 loops back on the straight bit bike path.

I'll write more later but today's miles were mostly not marked but it was sort of fun to have someone tell me I had hit mile 16 when I had no clue since 13....aid volunteers were great and by the 3rd day (today) I told a boy he knew what I wanted and he said "your water bottle refilled!" A lot of the 50ish marathoners ran all 3 days so that was fun to get to know or at least recognize many of them.  It was about 6000 feet altitude and I live at 1100 so that was a challenge. Anyway thanks for the support! I'm really happy I got it done because I really didn't know what to expect. Definitely required a level of mental stamina to get up to run another marathon on the 2nd and 3rd day.

I am impressed.  What an accomplishment  cheers  And what a great example you set for your kids!  If Mom can do that then they should realize that they can accomplish pretty much whatever they set their minds to.

Rest up and give us an update when you have time.  Curious what you're planning next.

A HUGE CONGRATS FOR ACCOMPLISHING YOUR GOAL!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:21 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Nancy!

I'll write more later but today's miles were mostly not marked but it was sort of fun to have someone tell me I had hit mile 16 when I had no clue since 13....aid volunteers were great and by the 3rd day (today) I told a boy he knew what I wanted and he said "your water bottle refilled!" A lot of the 50ish marathoners ran all 3 days so that was fun to get to know or at least recognize many of them.  It was about 6000 feet altitude and I live at 1100 so that was a challenge. Anyway thanks for the support! I'm really happy I got it done because I really didn't know what to expect. Definitely required a level of mental stamina to get up to run another marathon on the 2nd and 3rd day.

That's really fantastic, Julie!  Seems like a framing of all three medals together and/or bibs would be a great testimony to this effort.  Don't know if you want to retire the shoes, after they're all used up, for a separate something or not.

I can hear your kids telling their kids, "Yes, granny ran back-to-back-to-back marathons and here are the medals to prove it!"  You'll be the subject of many a Show 'n Tell for years.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:28 am

Thank you Nancy and Doug!

Actually after the 3rd marathon the man putting medals around our necks asked if we had run all three, and for those who had, he gave a special holder for the 3 medals and they magnet together. If anyone wants to help me with figuring out how to upload photos here I'd be very happy to share.

Still not sleeping right. We got home yesterday afternoon and it's great to be back. Finally told my parents, sisters, and running group that I ran 3 marathons. 

What's next? I would like to work on speed and weight loss, really. These 3 marathons were all quite a bit slower than any I'd ever run before, which is fine. It was high altitude as I mentioned, and I didn't want to use up all my energy the first day so I could still do the other 2. So I'm not beating myself up about it, but since having Eliana , or getting back into running since then, I have been a lot slower than I used to be. I know age is maybe a factor but definitely not all. So as of right now I have no races planned. I want to rest up, walk a bunch this week and then start running when I'm ready.

I've been mulling over in my mind what I'll put in a race report but I'll definitely write one! I don't think I realized how cool it would be until it was all done. I just compared the 3 lists of marathon finishers and there were 26 of us who completed all 3.

Thanks again for all the support. I just love the running community and one of my favorite things about these races was the other runners, the volunteers and the marathon officials. They were all so supportive no matter anyone's pace.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:35 am

Back to my Natal State - Page 8 20230614
Back to my Natal State - Page 8 20230612
Back to my Natal State - Page 8 20230613

Seeing if this works for photo sharing here
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:41 am

Back to my Natal State - Page 8 20230618Back to my Natal State - Page 8 20230617[/url]
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

ounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:58 pm

Awesome...thanks for sharing.  I don't see a pin in Oregon on your calendar....You are officially invited!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:07 am

nkrichards wrote:Awesome...thanks for sharing.  I don't see a pin in Oregon on your calendar....You are officially invited!

I'd love to go to Oregon! My friend Lori just ran there the weekend before last.

Race report is up!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:07 am

Julie wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Awesome...thanks for sharing.  I don't see a pin in Oregon on your calendar....You are officially invited!

I'd love to go to Oregon! My friend Lori just ran there the weekend before last.

Race report is up!
Where did Lori run?  

If you do decide to travel to Oregon I'd love to host you if you're interested...or at least meet your.  We are in Central Oregon.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:34 pm

She ran the Newport Marathon.

As of right now I will probably run Lincoln marathon in May since it's local. And probably nothing organized before then to give me time to heal and then focus on weight loss and speed.  My left knee still hurts. I've been walking 4.8miles a day since Monday. Not sure when I'll be ready to run. 

Sleep is still off but getting better.  I'm a little surprised how tired I still am but I'm really glad I did it. It was good to challenge myself in a new way.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:56 pm

Julie wrote:She ran the Newport Marathon.

As of right now I will probably run Lincoln marathon in May since it's local. And probably nothing organized before then to give me time to heal and then focus on weight loss and speed.  My left knee still hurts. I've been walking 4.8miles a day since Monday. Not sure when I'll be ready to run. 

Sleep is still off but getting better.  I'm a little surprised how tired I still am but I'm really glad I did it. It was good to challenge myself in a new way.
Newport is highly recommended.  I almost did it once...can't remember why I wasn't able to.  Someday.

You're doing well if you're walking that much already.  And planning on another marathon in May! 

I'm not surprised you're so tired.   Sleep
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next