365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Special Olympics - Run for the Athletes 5K

+3
dot520
John Kilpatrick
Pete B
7 posters

Go down

Special Olympics - Run for the Athletes 5K Empty Special Olympics - Run for the Athletes 5K

Post  Pete B Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:22 pm

This is a small local 5K run at Blackberry Farms (an "Historical" site/park/picnic area) just southwest of Aurora, IL. The event is put on by the Aurora Police Department as a fund raiser for the Illinois Special Olympics. I've run this course at least twice before, once for the same event two years ago and once as the "Spring Gallop 5K" in the spring last year. It has grown every year, there were probably two to three hundred runners (the first year there were 85 runners).

A fun course around the parking lot, then out on an asphalt nature trail that is totally wooded, i.e., completely shaded, which was nice as the run was at 6pm and the temerature was still in the 80s and the humidity was pretty thick. After an out and back on the nature trail that comprises the first two miles, with two pedestrian bridges that span small creeks, one being a suspension bridge that bounces (always coming up just as my foot was going down), you turn onto a crushed gravel trail that circumnavigates a large pond (they call it a lake) until you finish back in the parking lot.

I was hoping for a PR after my shoddy finish a week-and-a-half ago at the Terrapin 5K where I resorted to short walking breaks and finished there in 27:03 (a minute and 45 seconds off of my 5K PR). But, once again, the heat got the better of me. I did take a few short walking breaks and probably could have pushed through it, but thought the better of it. I still finished in 26:09 (51 seconds slower than my 25:18 PR).

Oh well I thought - then I looked up the official finishing times and realized I took second in my AG - hey, there were only three guys in the 55-59 AG, but I beat one of 'em! Now to get my name on the 365Runners "All-Time Record Holders" board - so what if I am currently the only male 365Runner in that AG. I have a 10K in a week-and-a-half and will have another record to post!

And to top it off, everyone got a Special Olympics' Finishers Medal for completing the 5K. Everyone's a winner!

Last edited by Pete B on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Special Olympics - Run for the Athletes 5K Empty Re: Special Olympics - Run for the Athletes 5K

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 pm

cheers cheers cheers. A little warm out there and not too far off of your PR - good job and great AG 2nd place!!! 2 of 3 aint bad!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Special Olympics - Run for the Athletes 5K Empty Re: Special Olympics - Run for the Athletes 5K

Post  dot520 Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 am

Hey, who cares if you're the only one on the board....it's a record. Age group awards are NICE!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:19 am

Ditto what Dot said - who cares, you are the 55+ group for now. Congrats on the AG award in tough conditions.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:56 am

Pete, you are a winner!! Nice running.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Congratulations on the AG award, Pete!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:59 am

Good stuff, Pete!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down