365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JFK Registration Opens Today

+13
Mrs. Schuey
Ben Z
Chris M
Jerry
Vivian
Schuey
wrichman
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
KBFitz
mountandog
Alex Kubacki
T Miller
17 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

JFK Registration Opens Today - Page 3 Empty Re: JFK Registration Opens Today

Post  Julie Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Sara Jane- I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I hope JFK and training for it helps with processing everything and grieving. I've found running to be very helpful during grief, especially running with friends who will listen. Congrats on getting in! It sounds like a really awesome race.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Julie wrote:Sara Jane- I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I hope JFK and training for it helps with processing everything and grieving. I've found running to be very helpful during grief, especially running with friends who will listen. Congrats on getting in! It sounds like a really awesome race.

Thanks Julie! I agree. I sort of felt the need to do something epic. Both in order to process this major loss and to process the fact that I am turning 35 and he, my biggest fan, won't be around to see it

Also truly looking forward to doing it during a year when so many people from this forum will be there! How fantastic. (And still pretty proud of getting in so late in the game - still no idea how that happened...)

You sure you don't wanna come crew Bowder?

Last edited by Sara Jane on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Totally epic, SJ! Now I cannot wait!!! I'm up for crewing whoever needs the help where I can give it, and since I'll be in between marathons, I will hopefully be fit.

Party time!!!!! (And at least I know I can now get to/from the race without renting a car if I fly Wink )
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Totally epic, SJ! Now I cannot wait!!! I'm up for crewing whoever needs the help where I can give it, and since I'll be in between marathons, I will hopefully be fit.

Party time!!!!! (And at least I know I can now get to/from the race without renting a car if I fly Wink )

Well, I don't own a car - so not sure I can help there!
And while I TOTALLY need crew help, I don't imagine you'll want to wait around for the likes of me!
Regardless, epic. Can't wait. Always great seeing you.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Sara Jane wrote:You sure you don't wanna come crew Bowder?

You have NO idea how tempting that is. I wonder if Wendy, our grant-writing fiend of a friend, can get the NIH, CDC or the SPCA to underwrite it...

Last edited by Mark B on Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Now you guys make me want to run JFK some year. Some year like not this one but it sounds cool to put on my someday marathons/ultras.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed May 01, 2013 6:53 am

Julie wrote:Now you guys make me want to run JFK some year. Some year like not this one but it sounds cool to put on my someday marathons/ultras.

Julie, just wait til you read all the reports. You'll regret not doing it this year. Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 am

Sara Jane wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Totally epic, SJ! Now I cannot wait!!! I'm up for crewing whoever needs the help where I can give it, and since I'll be in between marathons, I will hopefully be fit.

And while I TOTALLY need crew help, I don't imagine you'll want to wait around for the likes of me!

Hey SJ, you figured how to quote.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 am

T Miller wrote:
Julie wrote:Now you guys make me want to run JFK some year. Some year like not this one but it sounds cool to put on my someday marathons/ultras.

Julie, just wait til you read all the reports. You'll regret not doing it this year. Smile

Well, I'd regret any race going in un-trained but I know it's an awesome race. I should look up qualification standards at least. Maybe that will motivate me later.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm

T Miller wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:

Hey SJ, you figured how to quote.

I was doing it right. There was something in my settings that was all wrong. With the BBCode or something. Fixed it! cheers
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun May 19, 2013 11:11 am

Holee Kroikees Batman! We'll have an actual team this year. Schuey, Vivian, Tim & Wendy Miller, Sara Jane, Alex, and Mountandog & his son. Whoa! Did I leave anyone out? Whitney? Julie? Mark? Kenny B.? It appears entry is still open. Should be a good time ... at least for those of us crewing. Razz
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun May 19, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm passing this year given how my running has been this last year but I seriously want to do it in the next few years. I need to get into trail running in the meantime. But yeah, great group going this year!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun May 19, 2013 2:51 pm

KBFitz wrote:Holee Kroikees Batman! We'll have an actual team this year. Schuey, Vivian, Tim & Wendy Miller, Sara Jane, Alex, and Mountandog & his son. Whoa! Did I leave anyone out? Whitney? Julie? Mark? Kenny B.? It appears entry is still open. Should be a good time ... at least for those of us crewing. Razz

+1 We will make an awesome crew, won't we Kev?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun May 19, 2013 3:45 pm

This is cool. JFK teams are gender specific. Top 3 on each team count, max 5 per team. So it looks like we can make two official teams (after Sept 1) if we want to do so. I count 5 guys and 3 gals. Trevor and I are in. Anyone else?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Sun May 19, 2013 9:21 pm

mountandog wrote:This is cool. JFK teams are gender specific. Top 3 on each team count, max 5 per team. So it looks like we can make two official teams (after Sept 1) if we want to do so. I count 5 guys and 3 gals. Trevor and I are in. Anyone else?

We have 5 guys and three gals? Yes?
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
KBFitz wrote:Holee Kroikees Batman! ... Should be a good time ... at least for those of us crewing. Razz
You betcha!
Sara Jane wrote:
mountandog wrote:This is cool. JFK teams are gender specific. Top 3 on each team count, max 5 per team. Trevor and I are in. Anyone else?
Yes.

There is a wide spectrum of team performance at this event. Some teams are competitive while most are participatory. Veterans say that being part of a team can really help with motivation ... particularly during the rough patches that inevitably arise between Antietam [mile 27.1] and Damn #4 [mile 41.8].
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

KBFitz wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
KBFitz wrote:Holee Kroikees Batman! ... Should be a good time ... at least for those of us crewing. Razz
You betcha!
Sara Jane wrote:
mountandog wrote:This is cool. JFK teams are gender specific. Top 3 on each team count, max 5 per team. Trevor and I are in. Anyone else?
Yes.

There is a wide spectrum of team performance at this event. Some teams are competitive while most are participatory. Veterans say that being part of a team can really help with motivation ... particularly during the rough patches that inevitably arise between Antietam [mile 27.1] and Damn #4 [mile 41.8].

What does it entail? Just signing up as such? I am running for my own cause/motivation...so I wouldn't be able to like, wear a matching shirt or anything teamy like that. But if it's just a matter of me, Viv, and Wendy signing up together I am cool with that.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 pm

question to you veterans:  Do we need to carry any supplemental food, hydration, gels, etc?  If yes, what do I need to plan on bringing?  It looks there are a number of aid stations, but I also want to take advantage of any sales this summer to buy what's necessary.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Schuey may have a different take, but ...

All you need to bring is a handheld bottle with a wide mouth to ease refills [from pitchers] at aid stations. I've seen some runners using camel-backs, but this may be overkill as the aid stations are only 5 miles apart at most.

All else is provided. It may help to have a pocket or two available for storing cookies, M&Ms, PB&J sandwiches, etc. so that you can snack on the trail.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 am

Any more information on this "team" thing? Is there anything we are supposed to do?
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:20 pm

here is what is on their website:

TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS: Team Championship Awards will be presented to the top scoring (based on total time) Men’s and Women’s Teams. A team can consist of up to five of the same sex, but only the first three finishers will be scored.  Team entries will be made after the individual field has been set, after September 1, 2013.  See website www.jfk50mile.org  on September 1, 2013 for Team Entry Instructions.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:18 pm

been to the website a few times since Sept 1 and don't see any additional info about teams.  Am I blind or is it just not there??
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 pm

still don't see any team info.

Question from you experts:  After Chicago in 2 weeks, how do I need to train for this thing?  I've never done an ultra and I'm lost for this.  I figure I'll give Chi a good go so I'll have the usual post-marathon soreness and tenderness and but I'm a bit short on my usual mileage due to injury.  So, do I get right back on the saddle, reverse taper, back to back 20s in a couple of weeks?  I've got no clue.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:15 pm

mountandog wrote:still don't see any team info.

Question from you experts:  After Chicago in 2 weeks, how do I need to train for this thing?  I've never done an ultra and I'm lost for this.  I figure I'll give Chi a good go so I'll have the usual post-marathon soreness and tenderness and but I'm a bit short on my usual mileage due to injury.  So, do I get right back on the saddle, reverse taper, back to back 20s in a couple of weeks?  I've got no clue.
I'm pretty clueless as well but I would probably do a reverse taper and focus on back to back long runs once you're recovered.  For my last 50, I tried to get a number of, 3?, back to back runs that totaled my race distance. I think part of your focus for these long runs should be balancing pace and nutrition so that you can keep your energy up for the duration.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:55 pm

T Miller wrote:
mountandog wrote:still don't see any team info.

I'm pretty clueless as well but I would probably do a reverse taper and focus on back to back long runs once you're recovered.  For my last 50, I tried to get a number of, 3?, back to back runs that totaled my race distance. I think part of your focus for these long runs should be balancing pace and nutrition so that you can keep your energy up for the duration.
I agree with Tim. 5 weeks between - assuming you feel ok within a week after Chicago, try and fit in at least one 20/20 or 30/20 back to back long run IF you have previously done B2B runs. If not, then don't add it in. Instead, do one longer time on your feet run 5-6 hours/roughly 30-35 miles slower paced ideally on some on trail. 3 weeks out from 50 miler. Do an easy 20 miles 2 weeks out, then 10 a week before. Also be ready for the steep inclines in the first 5.5 miles - you may want to do some walking on treadmill @ 12% incline and switch to running, then alternate. I did that for one of my 20 milers. It was a long session, but worth it. 

A word of advice to all of you running this year - take walk breaks, even just 10-30 seconds, in the first 2.5 up the mountain. Don't let the road or your tapered legs fool you - it'll take it's toll on you later in the race. I ran/walked up the mountain to the trail in the first 2.5 and watched tons of people run up the whole way...only to pass at least 150 of them in the second half of the race. 

I have a race report from last year if anyone wants to read it - I think I posted it last year on this site. 

wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next